Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436225 times)

Offline Seventh Son

Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #1225 on: July 19, 2010, 06:49:09 PM »
The whole instrumental section is godly.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1226 on: July 19, 2010, 07:38:07 PM »
Its amazing in the studio, and perfect live (Just listen to the RiR version for proof!)

Also, I've come to realize how criminally underrated Phantom of the Opera is. That solo gives me chills listening to it right now.
Agreeagreeagreeagreeagreeagreeagreagregagreearegageagreeearegagreeargagreeegawagreegegreggaegreareasrgargeargearegrag

I read that post to the tune of Devin Townsend's "Om" Birch  :lol :lol :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1227 on: July 19, 2010, 09:01:04 PM »
Its amazing in the studio, and perfect live (Just listen to the RiR version for proof!)

Also, I've come to realize how criminally underrated Phantom of the Opera is. That solo gives me chills listening to it right now.
Agreeagreeagreeagreeagreeagreeagreagregagreearegageagreeearegagreeargagreeegawagreegegreggaegreareasrgargeargearegrag

I read that post to the tune of Devin Townsend's "Om" Birch  :lol :lol :lol
:lol I've never heard any Devin Townsend in my life

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1228 on: July 19, 2010, 09:05:17 PM »
Then you have not lived.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1229 on: July 19, 2010, 09:05:59 PM »
He hasn't heard any Opeth either.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1230 on: July 19, 2010, 09:13:40 PM »
:-[

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1231 on: July 19, 2010, 09:16:26 PM »
You're missing out bro.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1232 on: July 19, 2010, 09:32:11 PM »
In time I will check them out, and then I'll have to wait until I have spending money until I can enjoy them  :-\

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1233 on: July 20, 2010, 07:44:57 AM »
The recent Rock Hard article on Maiden says that Scott McFayden and Sam Dunn are recording this tour for posterity as well.  Hopefully this means no more .  Steve directed live DVDs!  ;D
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1234 on: July 20, 2010, 08:00:10 AM »
The recent Rock Hard article on Maiden says that Scott McFayden and Sam Dunn are recording this tour for posterity as well.  Hopefully this means no more .  Steve directed live DVDs!  ;D
I wish they could go back and reedit Death On The Road, which to me, still contains the best live footage of Iron Maiden ever recorded.

Edit: I think this just may be the world's first Prog Metal song, as controversial as that opinion may be.

Phantom isn't underrated. I think most people recognize it as a great song. A Top 5 Maiden song for me..

..and I agree about it being the first prog/metal song. There are lots of people, including me, who share that opinion.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1235 on: July 20, 2010, 11:45:47 AM »
Just noticed that they seem to have dropped Paschendale altogether.  It's been strictly DoD for the last month or so.  Most unfortunate.  As much as I enjoyed the setlist, it means the two best songs are now gone.  DoD is a great song and I love the live version of it, but Paschendale was just better. 

While I'm glad that somebody is filming this, and even happier that it's not Arry doing it, I really hope they've been getting footage from all the dates, and they're not just going to film one show later on now that they've changed the setlist. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1236 on: July 20, 2010, 11:48:55 AM »
The recent Rock Hard article on Maiden says that Scott McFayden and Sam Dunn are recording this tour for posterity as well.  Hopefully this means no more .  Steve directed live DVDs!  ;D
I wish they could go back and reedit Death On The Road, which to me, still contains the best live footage of Iron Maiden ever recorded.

Edit: I think this just may be the world's first Prog Metal song, as controversial as that opinion may be.

Phantom isn't underrated. I think most people recognize it as a great song. A Top 5 Maiden song for me..

..and I agree about it being the first prog/metal song. There are lots of people, including me, who share that opinion.

Phantom isn't quite top 5 for me, but its definite top 10 material for me! And I always thought that it had a weird, progressive structure.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1237 on: July 20, 2010, 11:51:32 AM »
I can't recall the name of the tour (Early Days???) that Maiden did probably five or six years ago (or around there) that they played a bunch of rarer old songs like "POTO", "Where Eagles Dare", and a lot Piece Of Mind/Killers/Iron Maiden stuff. The YouTube videos from that tour are amazing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1238 on: July 20, 2010, 12:04:44 PM »
I can't recall the name of the tour (Early Days???) that Maiden did probably five or six years ago (or around there) that they played a bunch of rarer old songs like "POTO", "Where Eagles Dare", and a lot Piece Of Mind/Killers/Iron Maiden stuff. The YouTube videos from that tour are amazing.
Eddie Rips up the World Tour, promoting Early Days.   There's a great pro-shot boot of it available from Ullevi.  They didn't play anything newer than PoM. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: July 20, 2010, 12:06:25 PM »
God I wish I was in DC seeing Maiden with my friends right now.  Curse my lack of monies! 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1240 on: July 20, 2010, 12:07:33 PM »
I'm still *very* pissed they didn't properly tour that in America. We got a cut set during Ozzfest. Because of that I didn't go, and now I missed my last chance to see a lot of awesome songs.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1241 on: July 20, 2010, 12:10:29 PM »
So looking through the setlists, perhaps its better if I didn't go, because I would rage and kill about one hundred people if they didn't play "Pashcendale" and "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" just for me.  On that note, why have they only played "Brighter" once on the whole tour?  I mean, if they switched it up with "Wrathchild" that'd be cool, but...why?  :(

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1242 on: July 20, 2010, 12:15:48 PM »
Might have been a length issue. They cut a really long song for a very short one.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: July 20, 2010, 12:17:23 PM »
Might have been a length issue. They cut a really long song for a very short one.

I wish they'd taken out No More Lies instead...that would've been baller.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1244 on: July 20, 2010, 12:19:28 PM »
I agree, but Wrathchild was put into the best possible spot in the set for it, either before or after the new tune not everyone would know.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1245 on: July 20, 2010, 02:46:55 PM »
I'm still *very* pissed they didn't properly tour that in America. We got a cut set during Ozzfest. Because of that I didn't go, and now I missed my last chance to see a lot of awesome songs.
[Puzzled]  I think we did get the whole show.  I saw one of the two headlining gigs during that tour, and it was the same set they did with Ozzfest.  It also seems to be the same as the Ullevi boot.

As for Brighter/Wrathchild, it seems like Maiden tweaks the setlist a song or two after the first couple of shows.  That's why I was excited about Dallas getting the opener.  I thought we might get an oddball.  My guess for the rationale was that after reading the reviews, they wanted to incorporate something more accessible for the "greatest hits" crowd.  I can understand that, though IMO they picked the worst possible song to replace. 

I don't know why they dropped Paschendale. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1246 on: July 20, 2010, 02:49:12 PM »
Basically because they weren't doing it perfectly and Steve rather drop it than work on it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1247 on: July 20, 2010, 02:53:32 PM »
Looks like you're right about the Ozfest setlist.  It was quite a bit shorter than the regular dates.  Since I saw the solo gig 2 weeks earlier, and my Ozfest show was considerably more bizarre than usual, I seem to have it all mixed up. 
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: July 20, 2010, 03:10:57 PM »
On IMTV, they said they dropped BTATS because they wanted to drop in a more energetic song to get the crowd going.  They also hinted that they dropped Paschendale becsude Nicko was having ttouble playing it correctly.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1249 on: July 20, 2010, 03:16:27 PM »
It would be quite unfortunate if they dumped Brighter on the basis of the Dallas crowd.  Dallas crowds suck in almost every capacity.
E.F. Benson

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1250 on: July 20, 2010, 03:34:35 PM »

While I'm glad that somebody is filming this, and even happier that it's not Arry doing it, I really hope they've been getting footage from all the dates, and they're not just going to film one show later on now that they've changed the setlist. 

The article was from the Dallas show, so they've been there since the start of the tour.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1251 on: July 20, 2010, 04:31:25 PM »
Brighter than a Thousand Suns is an awesome song. Its got some sweet solo's, a quick little drum solo by Nicko, and some really heavy riffing. I'd love to see it played live.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
I AM A GUY

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: July 21, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »
Am I the only one who can't stop watching The Final Frontier video?

Offline ConstantMotion

• The Scientist
  • Shine, lake of fire
« Reply #1254 on: July 21, 2010, 10:46:45 PM »
I'm still one of those Maiden fans who doesn't have any of their live DVDs, or any Maiden DVDs for that matter. I'm still pretty new to the band, despite being a fan since 2000.

When I get some money in, I'll buy Death On The Road. I'm really interested in seeing what Maiden looked like on their previous tours. I've got audio bootlegs, but that isn't enough!
Live dates

July 15th, 2010 - Blossom Music Center, Cleveland OH, USA
June 25, 2012 - Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH, USA

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: July 21, 2010, 10:48:44 PM »
I'm still one of those Maiden fans who doesn't have any of their live DVDs, or any Maiden DVDs for that matter. I'm still pretty new to the band, despite being a fan since 2000.

When I get some money in, I'll buy Death On The Road. I'm really interested in seeing what Maiden looked like on their previous tours. I've got audio bootlegs, but that isn't enough!

If you have a blu-ray player, I would sugest Flight 666 on blu-ray.  The best concert video I own.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1256 on: July 21, 2010, 10:50:05 PM »

If you have a blu-ray player, I would sugest Flight 666 on blu-ray.  The best concert video I own.
I was at the show that they took "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" from  ;D

Offline ConstantMotion

• The Scientist
  • Shine, lake of fire
« Reply #1257 on: July 21, 2010, 10:50:21 PM »

Nope, I don't have a blu-ray player. I'm actually against getting one, my good old DVD player is fine with me.

I've got tons of DVDs, don't want to replace them all with blu-ray.

Is it available on DVD?
Live dates

July 15th, 2010 - Blossom Music Center, Cleveland OH, USA
June 25, 2012 - Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH, USA

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1258 on: July 21, 2010, 10:57:08 PM »
yes
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: July 22, 2010, 12:16:12 AM »

I was at the show that they took "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" from  ;D

As was I.  I paid a good amount for the VIP floor section on ebay, but it was well worth it and then made me realize I needed to join the fan club to pay face value for the tickets.  Which lead to me getting just as close to the stage for this past show at MSG.