Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436358 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #1120 on: July 17, 2010, 07:45:54 PM »
Are you seriously saying that AtG is the worst song on the album?
Second worst.  I messed up there.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1121 on: July 17, 2010, 07:45:59 PM »
I change my mind. Heaven Can Wait is the weakest song on SiT. Second weakest is LotLDR.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1122 on: July 17, 2010, 07:47:02 PM »
There is no weak song on SIT, but the less effective song IMO is Heaven Can Wait.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1123 on: July 17, 2010, 07:48:38 PM »
The only song on SiT I would call bad is Wasted Years, but that's probably because I've heard that song so many goddamn times it drives me nuts. But other than that, there really isn't a song on SiT that I would say even comes close to being Maidens best song. Its too consistent. There aren't many mind-blowing moments like most Maiden albums have. Alexander is great, but it wouldn't crack my top 30 IM songs.

There is no weak song on SIT, but the less effective song IMO is Heaven Can Wait.
ib4shitstorm, but I think Wasted Years is annoying.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: July 17, 2010, 07:49:50 PM »
Wasted Years I've always loved.  This was the song that should have cracked them more commercially, especially in the mid eighties.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1125 on: July 17, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »
Bruce's vocals in the chorus annoy me there, personally. Actually, I think Bruce's vocals are much weaker on the SiT album than his other efforts with Maiden. Maybe because he had nothing to do with the songwriting on the album? Perhaps. I've always loved Bruce's songs and he has penned some of Iron Maiden's best songs imo

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1126 on: July 17, 2010, 07:51:44 PM »
"Alexander is great" :lol

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1127 on: July 17, 2010, 07:54:13 PM »
whatever

Afraid to Shoot Strangers is my favorite song from Fear of the Dark, and not the title track (Although the title track is amazing as well).

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: July 17, 2010, 07:55:06 PM »
Bruce's vocals in the chorus annoy me there, personally. Actually, I think Bruce's vocals are much weaker on the SiT album than his other efforts with Maiden. Maybe because he had nothing to do with the songwriting on the album? Perhaps. I've always loved Bruce's songs and he has penned some of Iron Maiden's best songs imo

I think Bruce really wore his voice out on the Life After Death tour.  He probably hadn't fully recovered when they went in and recorded SIT.

He brought songs to the album, but apparently they were different acoustic sort of stuff which of course Steve did not approve.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1129 on: July 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM »
whatever

Afraid to Shoot Strangers is my favorite song from Fear of the Dark, and not the title track (Although the title track is amazing as well).

My favourite is Judas Be My Guide.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1130 on: July 17, 2010, 07:57:03 PM »
whatever

Another one of the few gems on the album. Actually, Fear of the Dark is a weird album for me. It has six great songs, and six songs that are absolute trash to me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: July 17, 2010, 07:58:40 PM »
whatever

Another one of the few gems on the album. Actually, Fear of the Dark is a weird album for me. It has six great songs, and six songs that are absolute trash to me.

Judas is in the top 5 most underrated Maiden tracks.

I actually love the whole album.  I learned to appreciate every track.  Call me a fanboy but it's a great album.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1132 on: July 17, 2010, 07:59:14 PM »
Are you seriously saying that AtG is the worst song on the album?
Second worst.  I messed up there.

lol no.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1133 on: July 17, 2010, 08:00:24 PM »
I think they were trying to sound too much like AC/DC on No Prayer and Fear of the Dark.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1134 on: July 17, 2010, 08:01:50 PM »
whatever

I actually love the whole album.  I learned to appreciate every track.  Call me a fanboy but it's a great album.
The Apparition, Weekend Warrior, Fear is the Key, From Here to Eternity, The Fugitive, and Chains of Misery are some of my most hated Iron Maiden songs ever. On the flip side, the title track and Afraid to Shoot Strangers are two of Iron Maidens best songs ever.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: July 17, 2010, 08:05:45 PM »
whatever

The Apparition, Weekend Warrior, Fear is the Key, From Here to Eternity, The Fugitive, and Chains of Misery are some of my most hated Iron Maiden songs ever. On the flip side, the title track and Afraid to Shoot Strangers are two of Iron Maidens best songs ever.

I love Chains of Misery and The Fugitive.  Musically the Fugitive is quite complex for Maiden.  The numerous key changes in the solo section gives a sweet swift touch.  And the use of a phrygian style chords structure tangled in their usually aeolian chordal structure is very impressive.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1136 on: July 17, 2010, 08:07:03 PM »
Technicality means nothing to me. It all sounds so awkwardly placed it makes me cringe, and Bruce's "harsh" vocals don't help things either.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: July 17, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Technicality means nothing to me. It all sounds so awkwardly placed it makes me cringe, and Bruce's "harsh" vocals don't help things either.

Yes, the key changes do make it sound 'awkward'  A fantastic effect IMHO.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1138 on: July 17, 2010, 08:09:10 PM »
Afraid to Shoot Strangers is good but the rhythm section under the solo is Hallowed Be Thy Name's.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1139 on: July 17, 2010, 08:11:52 PM »

Yes, the key changes do make it sound 'awkward'  A fantastic effect IMHO.
I mean, it just doesn't sound pleasing at all. I can appreciate the fact that there are all sorts of key changes behind it, but at the end of the day its about making great music, and The Apparition is a still a song that makes me cringe like very few others (Its in the same league as The Angel in the Gambler, just so you know how much I can't stand it).

Afraid to Shoot Strangers is good but the rhythm section under the solo is Hallowed Be Thy Name's.
No wonder I love Afraid to Shoot Strangers so much then!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: July 17, 2010, 08:13:33 PM »

Pretty much.

Another revelation is that the rhythm under the verse in Futureal is the main riff of The Wicker Man.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1141 on: July 17, 2010, 08:14:57 PM »

Pretty much.

Another revelation is that the rhythm under the verse in Futureal is the main riff of The Wicker Man.
I don't hear that at all.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1142 on: July 17, 2010, 08:16:47 PM »

Pretty much.

Listen harder.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1143 on: July 17, 2010, 08:22:50 PM »

Pretty much.

Listen harder.
Still don't hear it. Maybe I'm deaf or something.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: July 18, 2010, 01:51:02 AM »
whatever

Definitely! One of their most underrated tracks ever, along with Sea Of Madness.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1145 on: July 18, 2010, 02:42:33 AM »
Fear of the dark is one of the two Maiden albums that I don't enjoy. The overall raw hard rock feeling doesn't appeal to me at all. No prayer has the same problem, but it has some fine tracks. The only good songs on Fear of the dark are the title track, Afraid to shoot strangers, and From here to eternity.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: July 18, 2010, 04:52:24 AM »
whatever

Definitely! One of their most underrated tracks ever, along with Sea Of Madness.

Yeah man.  Sea of Madness is in that top5 also.  Such an amazing song.  Some days my favourite on SIT.  And if I make a random Maiden compilation Judas and SOM are always on it.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #1147 on: July 18, 2010, 05:24:19 AM »
Fear of the dark is one of the two Maiden albums that I don't enjoy. The overall raw hard rock feeling doesn't appeal to me at all. No prayer has the same problem, but it has some fine tracks. The only good songs on Fear of the dark are the title track, Afraid to shoot strangers, and From here to eternity.

I used to have this problem. But I dunno..listen to them more and more, and you begin to appreciate their hard rock sound and Dickinson's harsher vocals. It's not nearly as good as any of their other stuff, though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: July 18, 2010, 05:32:41 AM »

I used to have this problem. But I dunno..listen to them more and more, and you begin to appreciate their hard rock sound and Dickinson's harsher vocals. It's not nearly as good as any of their other stuff, though.

Once one can except the different direction, the whole album is amazing!!

Offline ConstantMotion

• The Scientist
  • Shine, lake of fire
« Reply #1149 on: July 18, 2010, 08:24:06 AM »
Does anybody else have Brave New World as one of their favorite Maiden albums? I dunno, I think that album is amazing!   :tup
Live dates

July 15th, 2010 - Blossom Music Center, Cleveland OH, USA
June 25, 2012 - Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH, USA

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #1150 on: July 18, 2010, 08:52:37 AM »
Does anybody else have Brave New World as one of their favorite Maiden albums? I dunno, I think that album is amazing!   :tup
YES!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1151 on: July 18, 2010, 10:03:32 AM »

Aside from a few clunkers, it is. TTLBLAH, The Wicker Man, GOTN and Out Of The Silent Planet are all great songs.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1152 on: July 18, 2010, 10:04:42 AM »
There isn't a single bad song on BNW. It's more than perfect songs are "Blood Brothers" "Dream of Mirrors" and the title track, but like I said, every song is perfect.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1153 on: July 18, 2010, 10:24:21 AM »
I hate From Here to Eternity so much.

Greaat album, but its middle of the pack in terms of ranking albums for me (It would be #7 or #8 overall, honestly.). That being said, middle of the pack for Iron Maiden is still 9/10 so its not that bad of a placement.

And Blood Brothers is one of my favorite songs ever by IM.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: July 18, 2010, 11:10:27 AM »
inb4 everybody posting their album rankings again.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.