Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436500 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #1015 on: July 13, 2010, 11:00:55 AM »
New Eddie is awesome, especially live.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1016 on: July 13, 2010, 11:17:11 AM »
The song is average so far... But I want to wait until I've heard the full version to build a final verdict about it.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1017 on: July 13, 2010, 11:26:36 AM »
Didn't like the new Eddie, but honestly, I could live with never seeing him on stage again.  He's great on album covers.  In concert he's pretty cheesy. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1018 on: July 13, 2010, 11:31:14 AM »
About to pre-order the deluxe CD :birch:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1019 on: July 13, 2010, 11:33:14 AM »
Just watched the video and that's a pretty un-Maiden sounding song.  I like it better than El Dorado, but it really doesn't sound much like Maiden aside from the chorus. 

Honestly, the two new songs I've heard certainly don't hold up well against AMoLaD. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1020 on: July 13, 2010, 11:33:24 AM »
Birch, you have to tell me about the concert last night.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1021 on: July 13, 2010, 11:39:19 AM »
Oh, I will...

later tonight :eyebrows:

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1022 on: July 13, 2010, 11:40:17 AM »
NO I HAVE TO KNOW NOWWW  >:(

jk... 530 right?
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1023 on: July 13, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »
Did I miss some pre-arranged event planning or something? (Because I don't know if you guys set up plans for Halo or not, I haven't read all the recent posts there)

But yeah, I'll try to be on then.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1024 on: July 13, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »
The Final Frontier was just sort of meh.  This album isn't looking too promising so far.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1025 on: July 13, 2010, 11:46:50 AM »
Yeah I wasn't impressed by "The Final Frontier"... especially with it being the title track. I love "El Dorado" though.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1026 on: July 13, 2010, 11:55:38 AM »
I really enjoyed the song, maybe even more than El Dorado. But both of them are awesome.  :tup

Offline UnutterableSquid

• Squiddus Maximus
  • Eddie, what took you so long?
« Reply #1027 on: July 13, 2010, 11:58:45 AM »
MSG show last night was pretty killer.

Dream Theater did a very good job of playing, since they sounded mostly impeccable and managed to get me really into Constant Motion (which I'm not a big fan of to begin with). I probably enjoyed hearing "As I Am" and "Home" the best out of their set. Portnoy's short speech at the end was pretty neat too. I did kind of cringe when LaBrie said "For those of you who bought the Rock Band 2, this song's on it! Panic Attack!!"

As for Maiden, I think that they performed even better than I expected, and I had very high expectations already. I know that a lot of people seem to love randomly hating on the new material, but this setlist was pretty awesome. Ghost of the Navigator, Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Brave New World, the new single El Dorado, etc. All really awesome and the crowd seemed really into it.

Of course the "older" songs were really awesome as well. Having the entire crowd sing along to the guitar parts of Fear of the Dark was even better in person than on Maiden's live albums. Of course, as expected, people went pretty crazy over Number of the Beast. And I got really into Hallowed Be Thy Name, since that has long been one of my favorite Maiden songs and basically THE song that I wanted to see live more than anything else. Bruce also held some ridiculously long note during it which basically broke the space-time continuum. And the great pre-Bruce mainstays of Iron Maiden and Running Free were performed greatly.

As most people who have been to a Maiden concert or seen some live footage would know, Bruce has an amazing stage presence. It was pretty ridiculous seeing him basically jump over everything on the stage regardless of height and land perfectly. He was constantly running around, leaping over things, climbing up ladders, and "crowd-pleasing" all while singing at levels which don't seem humanly possible. Besides Bruce, the stage setup was pretty cool. They basically had it look like a crashed space station on the moon, with platforms built into the space station for Bruce to run along. The backdrops changed for basically each song, ranging from an outer space backdrop with shining stars to about ten different versions of Eddie. And of course, what would a Maiden concert be without Eddie himself? The new suit is certainly a pretty big departure from the norm, but I really like it. Seeing a gigantic alien Eddie lumber around on stage was pretty cool and I'm happy with the design.

As a last note, when they were letting people leave, someone apparently decided to jump over the side of the escalator and hit the floor pretty hard. He was knocked out cold when we passed by.

The Final Frontier - August 16th, 2010

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #1028 on: July 13, 2010, 12:09:17 PM »
I really enjoyed the song, maybe even more than El Dorado. But both of them are awesome.  :tup
This. I don't see the problem with the song. It's just straight up good.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1029 on: July 13, 2010, 12:14:39 PM »
As a last note, when they were letting people leave, someone apparently decided to jump over the side of the escalator and hit the floor pretty hard. He was knocked out cold when we passed by.
Apparently that guy died  :(

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=11436.msg508000#msg508000
I AM A GUY

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1030 on: July 13, 2010, 12:16:42 PM »
Haven't heard the title track yet, but the song "El Dorado" kicks all kinds of ass, I don't care what you say.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1031 on: July 13, 2010, 12:17:25 PM »
Haven't heard the title track yet, but the song "El Dorado" kicks all kinds of ass, I don't care what you say.
I agree with this. I'm pumped to see it next Tuesday :2metal:
I AM A GUY

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: July 13, 2010, 12:39:45 PM »
Well, I've decided that "El Dorado" kicks the shit out of "The Final Frontier," or at least this edited version of it.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1033 on: July 13, 2010, 04:35:51 PM »
So here's my little story review about the show last night at Madison Square Garden. SPOILERS IN CASE ANYONE CARES

So we get to the parking garage, park, walk to the venue, are walking up the small outside steps, when I realize something... I don't have the tickets in my hand. I immediately was  :omg: and  :censored. I had left them on the counter of the parking garage window. Now mind you, the only paper I had to print them out on was BRIGHT FUCKING ORANGE. I freaked out and literally ran as fast I could possibly run, running into people, jumping over small children, literally dodging cars... through the streets of crowded-as-fuck New York City. As you know, the tickets work on a first-scan basis, so anyone could've picked them up and said "Cool, let's go see if we can get in!" I was literally having a breakdown. So I bolt across the street, almost getting hit by a taxi, run up to the office window and start banging on it for them to open it, and when they do, I glance down and see them right where I had left them. Phew, was that a relief.

So we get into the venue, and get on line for merchandise. I had been looking forward to getting the Dream Theater shield tour shirt, and the NY event shirt. After waiting for about ten minutes, we're almost to the front, and I realize that there's a sign on the event shirt that says "2XL-3XL", so I go to the stand on the other side, risking my spot in line. I got to the other stand, and see that they don't even have the event shirt at all anymore. At this point, I started getting disappointed, because I really wanted that shirt. So I wait in line to salvage the opportunity and get the DT shirt. So the guy in front of me finally gets to the front, and asks for the DT shirt... and the salesguy takes the shirt off the wall, which is followed by about half the people line going "Shit, I wanted that one!" (including me). So now 0/2 for shirts, I decide to settle for the alien USA tour shirt, and reluctantly give the salesguy $35.

Then we go find our seats, which were not nearly as bad as I'd heard they'd be from friends and the 3D seating chart. So then we decide to walk around and explore. While walking, my friend glances into a window and sees the DT shirt I wanted, so we stop there and they don't have it in medium, but they do have the event shirt, so I got that, and was quite happy. So we keep walking around, see another stand, and sure enough they had the DT shirt, so I got that and was really happy. But wait... I don't have the tickets! It turns out that I left them on the counter of one of the merchandise stands, so of course I rush through the halls searching for the stand that I could've left them at. I find them, and return to our seats to hear Bigelf playing over the PA, soon followed by Dream Theater's awesome set (all the while keeping an eye out for DTFers, which were nowhere to be found  :sadpanda:).

A few little cool things that happened: I think James LaBrie mentioned John Petrucci's birthday, and during the "Panic Attack" chorus ("Is it something to do with where I come from") Mike Portnoy immediately follows James' line by "I come from Long Island!", which I thought was funny. Towards the end, Dark Master Of Sin shows up, so we shake hands and then finish watching the set (he was two rows in front of me). We then walk around during the break while DMOS searches for a merch stand with us so he can get a shirt.

Now onto Iron Maiden... all I can say was the intro was epic as fuck, and "The Wicker Man" was one of the songs I really hoped they'd play, so I was ecstatic (although Bruce's microphone seemed to be having issues), followed by "Ghost Of The Navigator" which was equally awesome. The light show for every song was awesome, but standout songs (as far as the performance, light show, crowd participation, etc... included) were "Wrathchild", "Fear Of The Dark", "Wildest Dreams", "No More Lies", "The Number Of The Beast" (I was surprised there were no pyrotechnics), and "Running Free". Oh yeah and I smelled soooooo much weed, that I got a contact buzz just from breathing. Also, Bruce's speeches/conversations were awesome and funny. Especially awesome was the whole Ronnie James Dio dedication and speech.

Now onto random little things:

-$5 FOR A WATER IS FUCKING INSANE
-As far as I could tell, there weren't any seats that were too bad. I was very happy with mine (Section 301)
-I don't think it's possible for Janick to drop his guitar
-Madison Square Garden is stupid for their limitations on playing after 11:00
-I was very surprised (but not too disappointed) that they didn't play "Run To The Hills" and "The Trooper", although I was looking forward to hearing twenty-thousand people sing the chorus of "RTTH"

Overall, I'd say a bit better than when I saw them on the Somewhere Back In Time tour (I only saw four overlapping songs, so that was cool to hear songs for the first time live). And that's saying a lot, because they were near flawless back in 2008.

And where did the other DTFers meet? I know you guys were thinking of meeting at the food court, but I searched and didn't see anyone I knew. Also, walking out of the venue, there was a homeless guy with a sign that read "Why would I lie? I need a beer", and I cracked up (some people did give him money).

Yeah so I guess that was kinda long, but it was a really awesome night overall. :birch: :birch:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1034 on: July 13, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »
Cool story, bro... But did you not have pockets?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1035 on: July 13, 2010, 05:35:29 PM »
They were print-out tickets and my pockets were literally full

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1036 on: July 13, 2010, 05:36:09 PM »
I AM A GUY

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: July 14, 2010, 04:20:01 AM »
The Final Frontier track is a big improvement over El Dorado IMO.  With all the speculation about this being their last album, the lyrics on the Final Frontier somehow make sense of this statement.  :(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #1039 on: July 14, 2010, 07:21:33 AM »
btw, 11pm limitation is an NYC thing, the unions charge overtime for anything after that so the acts don't want to front the money for it. DT actually broke it several times in order to film the shows, etc. that went over a little.

my story of msg is as follows; i had nose bleed tickets. i told my friend who is pretty well off to go to the concert and he got pit tickets through his broker. him and his brother were in the pit and knowing the msg layout, i went up the escalators until the first available door and ducked in. i grabbed a beer and just casually walked in and stood by some dt fans and watched the show start. some hot chick and her boyfriend ran up to me and hugged me because i had my purple opeth shirt on, i guess they were fans i had no idea what they said through 'as i am'.

then i get a text from my friend, pit only has wrist bands for security and his brother managed to take his off without ripping it. i told him to get to the tunnel leading to the pit where i can walk down to. he comes over, and gives me the crumpled up band in front of the security, the guy had no idea what was going on.

i put it on, and to not arouse suspicion, walk around to the other side of the arena since DT show was over, then walk down with my wrist band showing, voila!

we were all the way up front in the center of the stage, and jumping up and down to the gallops of the irons as 50-60 year old lame and stale men gave us dirty looks for enjoying a heavy metal concert.

my calves are killing me still today from jumping around for 3 hours.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1040 on: July 14, 2010, 10:26:36 AM »
Ya know, they seemed to have left the pyro at home, altogether.  I noticed that both shows I saw. Usually, I really don't care about pyro; been there, done that.  However there are a few times when pyro is absolutely necessary, and the big NotB scream is Goddamn-well one of them.  In fact, I think it's the second most important concert pyro moment, right behind the Heaven and Hell narrative part.  "First,you gotta BURN BURN BURN BURN in fire!"
E.F. Benson

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1041 on: July 14, 2010, 10:31:33 AM »
What exactly did they say about RJD at the show? Did they cover a song or something?
I AM A GUY

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1042 on: July 14, 2010, 10:33:19 AM »
We all got to do the horns to Heaven in honor of him. And then they played "Blood Brothers" for him and a good time was had by all.

That song = :metal
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1043 on: July 14, 2010, 10:34:58 AM »
Damn, I hope they do that when on Tuesday. Blood Brothers is awesome.
I AM A GUY

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1044 on: July 14, 2010, 10:38:35 AM »
Unless I just couldn't understand Bruce, the only Dio moment we got was before the Maiden show. Rainbow in the Dark was played over the PA and everyone chanted 'Dio'. Still very cool and touching.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1045 on: July 14, 2010, 02:59:51 PM »
Ya know, they seemed to have left the pyro at home, altogether.  I noticed that both shows I saw. Usually, I really don't care about pyro; been there, done that.  However there are a few times when pyro is absolutely necessary, and the big NotB scream is Goddamn-well one of them.  In fact, I think it's the second most important concert pyro moment, right behind the Heaven and Hell narrative part.  "First,you gotta BURN BURN BURN BURN in fire!"
I agree. I was expecting it, and was a bit disappointed when it didn't happen.

What exactly did they say about RJD at the show? Did they cover a song or something?
Iron Maiden - Blood Brothers live 7/12/10 Madison Square Garden, NYC complete HQ for DIO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNiJCgPkLbg&playnext_from=TL&videos=8R6U4teFIo4

By the way, if anyone wants an almost-professional bootleg of the show, this company's really good for them. I bought a recording of the AC/DC show I saw two years ago from them, and it's enjoyable. For $25, it could be a little cheaper, but it's excellent sound quality, and you'll have it forever to watch and re-enjoy.

Offline UnutterableSquid

• Squiddus Maximus
  • Eddie, what took you so long?
« Reply #1046 on: July 14, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »
The Final Frontier track is a big improvement over El Dorado IMO.  With all the speculation about this being their last album, the lyrics on the Final Frontier somehow make sense of this statement.  :(

I really, really, really hope that those rumors are false.

True, Maiden was founded about 35 years ago, and all of the members are in their 50s, but the day that they stop making new albums will be a very sad day for me.

So far The Final Frontier sounds like it is going to be an amazing album, as expected. I've already pre-ordered the deluxe edition and look forward to listening to it. Yet even with what seems to be a solid album, I still don't want to see it be the last one (or for there to be a last one).

Of course, so long as they continue touring I'll still be very happy, but the release of a new Maiden album is basically the same thing as what the opening day of each of the LoTR films was for me.

The Final Frontier - August 16th, 2010

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1047 on: July 14, 2010, 08:24:04 PM »
I agree. I was expecting it, and was a bit disappointed when it didn't happen.

Iron Maiden - Blood Brothers live 7/12/10 Madison Square Garden, NYC complete HQ for DIO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNiJCgPkLbg&playnext_from=TL&videos=8R6U4teFIo4

By the way, if anyone wants an almost-professional bootleg of the show, this company's really good for them. I bought a recording of the AC/DC show I saw two years ago from them, and it's enjoyable. For $25, it could be a little cheaper, but it's excellent sound quality, and you'll have it forever to watch and re-enjoy.

You should NEVER pay for bootlegs

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1048 on: July 14, 2010, 08:29:47 PM »
Unless they're Ytsejam ones.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1049 on: July 15, 2010, 07:24:08 AM »
Well, yeah.

But not unofficial ones