Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436060 times)

Offline UnutterableSquid

• Squiddus Maximus
  • Eddie, what took you so long?
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #840 on: June 08, 2010, 11:17:28 PM »
That's some pretty sweet album art there.

Honestly, that is the best possible direction that they could go if they're not keeping Eddie as the old mummified human-guy.

And its pretty brutal.

Gonna listen to the single after I finish "Signify"

Alright, the song's pretty good. Obviously doesn't compare to Maiden's "prime", but it is actually a pretty good song.

Could use more depth in the production, however. It sounds a bit flat (may just be the fact that I'm listening to the video of it on their website)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:34:21 PM by UnutterableSquid »

The Final Frontier - August 16th, 2010

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: June 09, 2010, 04:14:19 AM »
After listening to the new song only twice, I don't really know what to say.  At the moment, it doesn't really do it for me.......... :(.........  I will give maiden a round of applause for doing something different, because this is at least fresh and somewhat slightly original IMO.  It sort of sounds like WASP to me.  The solo section though was great. 

I can't remember the last time I wasn't floored by a new maiden track.  Production sounds better though, has more balls then the last two.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #842 on: June 09, 2010, 04:57:54 AM »
El Dorado is really boring except for H's solo. I hope the rest of the album blows this song away.

I'd say every song on AMOLAD is better than this song except for Different World.

I think it's better than "The Pilgrim" as well. But, i think AMOLAD is a REALLY good album, so just because this song isn't as good as 80% of the tracks on that one doesnt really make my expectations for this album any lower.

I just threw that comparison out there for fun. Looking at the song on it's own, I think it's really weak and really goes nowhere. As an absolute Maiden fanatic, I'm really upset by this song. I know there will be mindblowing songs on the new album though!

Well, off course you're entitled to your own opinion, but i think it's really rockin', and much better than some of their previous singles. It certainly gives me a much better feeling than i had listening to "Wildest Dreams", "Different World" and "Rainmaker". I find this much more fresh and "Maiden-ish" than either of those where when i listened to them for the first time, so i give this song a big  :tup

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #843 on: June 09, 2010, 11:32:40 AM »
Thunderstorms for the show tonight.  Should be bad ass.  Can't wait. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #844 on: June 09, 2010, 11:35:23 AM »
'El Dorado' is average, really average
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #845 on: June 09, 2010, 12:54:48 PM »
Thunderstorms for the show tonight.  Should be bad ass.  Can't wait. 

Major T Storms 2 years ago for the show up here. But it cleared up nice just in time for Maiden.

I hope they pick a cool Blaze era song to do, one they haven't done before. The Educated Fool would be awesome. But I bet they'll play The Clansman.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #846 on: June 09, 2010, 12:57:01 PM »
Or Lightning Strikes Twice  :P
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #847 on: June 09, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »
I hope they pick a cool Blaze era song to do, one they haven't done before. The Educated Fool would be awesome. But I bet they'll play The Clansman.
Fingers crossed for my all time favorite song, Sign of the cross.  :metal

Seriously, there MUST be a Blaze era track in the set. And I'm pretty sure there will, since they confirmed they'll cover the entire history of the band. Although I agree The Clansman is the obvious choice, which certainly isn't bad.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #848 on: June 09, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #849 on: June 09, 2010, 01:26:52 PM »
My Maiden PT. 2 cd has a live version of Flight of the Navigator on it from some place in SA while it was pouring down rain.  Bruce's banter is hysterical.  He keeps blaming Nicko for the rain; "it's always the fucking drummer."  Good stuff.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #850 on: June 09, 2010, 02:11:33 PM »
Will setlists be posted here? If so, please make them font size 2.

Offline TL

« Reply #851 on: June 09, 2010, 03:09:24 PM »
El Dorado is alright. I wasn't blown away by it, but it wasn't a let down either.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #852 on: June 09, 2010, 03:31:49 PM »
I won't keep track of the setlist, but I'll post some highlights somewhere, probably in the DT setlists thread.  I won't here, since most people don't seem to want it. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #853 on: June 09, 2010, 06:03:58 PM »

Once again, this is the Iron Maiden thread, so spoilers are possible. People should be able to talk about the setlist here without spoiler warnings. They can (and should if they're nice) post spoiler warnings, but this IS a thread where people would expect setlist discussion, so if you really don't want to know you should avoid this thread and the concert section.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #854 on: June 09, 2010, 06:08:30 PM »
My Maiden PT. 2 cd has a live version of Flight of the Navigator on it from some place in SA while it was pouring down rain.  Bruce's banter is hysterical.  He keeps blaming Nicko for the rain; "it's always the fucking drummer."  Good stuff.

I've heard a similar bootleg, it was Sign of the Cross.  In the quiet middle part just before the heaviness resumes he says to the crowd "Look up at the sky... FUCK THE RAIN!!".  :lol Its one of the most ridiculously funny things I've heard.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #855 on: June 09, 2010, 09:41:16 PM »
SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am totally willing to admit that I am a casual Maiden fan at best. I only know the big hits and get a little fuzzy with the lesser known "fan hits" if you will and I saw the setlist for tonights show and now, I am questioning whether I want to go or not...I know like 4 or 5 of the songs...ugh.

Set:

1. Wickerman
2. Ghost of the Navigator
3. Thousand suns
4. El Dorado
5. Paschendale
6. Benjamin Breeg
7. These colours don't run
8. Bloodbrothers
9. Wildest dreams
10. No More Lies
11. Brave new world
12. Fear of the dark
13. Iron Maiden

14. No. of the Beast
15. Hallowed be thy name
16. Running free

/SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #856 on: June 09, 2010, 10:15:12 PM »
................ Well.... I'm still going to have a blast regardless of the setlists because it's still DREAM THEATER AND IRON MAIDEN!

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #857 on: June 09, 2010, 10:32:32 PM »
*snip*

Dude, that looks like an awesome set.

Offline UnutterableSquid

• Squiddus Maximus
  • Eddie, what took you so long?
« Reply #858 on: June 09, 2010, 10:52:17 PM »
*snip*

I agree.

Although it is all pretty much post-Dickinson's return, it has pretty much the best songs from all of those albums, in addition to an amazing last few songs and encore.

The Final Frontier - August 16th, 2010

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #859 on: June 09, 2010, 11:19:24 PM »
*snip*

I agree.

Although it is all pretty much post-Dickinson's return, it has pretty much the best songs from all of those albums, in addition to an amazing last few songs and encore.
This was pretty much the case.  The first half hour was extraordinary. 

And the really fantastic part is that not only did I get to see it before all you schmucks,  but I'm gonna get to see it again before any of you people!  EL BARTO RULES!
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #860 on: June 10, 2010, 05:22:35 AM »
Well, I just have a problem with the fact that it is not what I was expecting, but if you guys are saying it is that great, I just gots some studyin' to do...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #861 on: June 10, 2010, 05:30:56 AM »
Amazing set, can't wait for this.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: June 10, 2010, 05:41:01 AM »
Does anyone else think that setlist is atrocious??

I'm a big fan of BNW ----->  but come on!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #863 on: June 10, 2010, 05:43:28 AM »
Everything before Fear of the Dark in that set is amazing aside from No More Lies.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: June 10, 2010, 05:49:51 AM »
Everything before Fear of the Dark in that set is amazing aside from No More Lies.

I agree, but it's too post 2000 heavy IMO.  They could have at least put in two or three forgotten older songs and that would have contrasted all the new stuff really well IMO.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #865 on: June 10, 2010, 06:00:12 AM »
I'm with you Wolf. When Steve Harris said that the set would be career spanning, I was expecting a slightly different set. This set is very interesting. I would've never thought Ghost and Lies would've been played. But Wildest Dreams is pretty lame. I realy feel bad about missing this show, but at least when I see the setlist, I feel a little better.

Some great songs played for sure, but after skipping Caught Somewhere In Time, and 7th Son on the last tour, I was hoping to see them in the set. And I definitely would've taken something like Be Quick Or Be Dead over Wildest Dreams. Also No Blaze song??

BTW, I love both Ghost and Lies... But figured Dance Of Death would've been played before Lies.

Did I not see The Tooper in the set??

Offline Mladen

« Reply #866 on: June 10, 2010, 06:04:32 AM »
Spoilers...

I don't mind, but some people might be bothered. The set list is great, in my opinion.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: June 10, 2010, 06:10:27 AM »
I'm with you Wolf. When Steve Harris said that the set would be career spanning, I was expecting a slightly different set. This set is very interesting. I would've never thought Ghost and Lies would've been played. But Wildest Dreams is pretty lame. I realy feel bad about missing this show, but at least when I see the setlist, I feel a little better.

Some great songs played for sure, but after skipping Caught Somewhere In Time, and 7th Son on the last tour, I was hoping to see them in the set. And I definitely would've taken something like Be Quick Or Be Dead over Wildest Dreams. Also No Blaze song??

BTW, I love both Ghost and Lies... But figured Dance Of Death would've been played before Lies.

No Trooper my friend!!!

It seems to me like the boys are being a little arrogant and possibly think that the last ten years of their career is enough to fill a setlist.  Sorry guys, I pumped Somewhere in Time today and it blows away everything from BNW onwards.  I love these three albums but to think they can revolve a set around them with the amount of classic songs they have forgotten is just foolish.  Nevertheless if they come back to Aus, I will be first in line to get a ticket.

If they wanted to play more post 2000 stuff, fine, but put in at least two or three forgotten older songs and that would smooth things out a little.  Come on, there is even songs better than these on BNW, DOD and AMOLAD.  This set is disappointing when they have forgotten classics such as;

Caught Somewhere in Time
Sea of Madness
7th Son of a 7th Son
To Tame a Land
Judas Be My Guide
Still Life
Invaders
Gangland
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Be Quick or be Dead
Edge of Darkness
Sign of the Cross
Educated Fool
Man of the Edge
Fallen Angel
Nomad
Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Infinite Dreams
No Prayer for the Dying
Where Eagles Dare
Lord of Light
Face in the Sand
Die With Your Boots on
Back in the Village

Anyway, enough from me!

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #868 on: June 10, 2010, 06:24:29 AM »

No Trooper my friend!!!

It seems to me like the boys are being a little arrogant and possibly think that the last ten years of their career is enough to fill a setlist.  Sorry guys, I pumped Somewhere in Time today and it blows away everything from BNW onwards.  I love these three albums but to think they can revolve a set around them with the amount of classic songs they have forgotten is just foolish.  Nevertheless if they come back to Aus, I will be first in line to get a ticket.

If they wanted to play more post 2000 stuff, fine, but put in at least two or three forgotten older songs and that would smooth things out a little.  Come on, there is even songs better than these on BNW, DOD and AMOLAD.  This set is disappointing when they have forgotten classics such as;

Caught Somewhere in Time
Sea of Madness
7th Son of a 7th Son
To Tame a Land
Judas Be My Guide
Still Life
Invaders
Gangland
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Be Quick or be Dead
Edge of Darkness
Sign of the Cross
Educated Fool
Man of the Edge
Fallen Angel
Nomad
Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Infinite Dreams
No Prayer for the Dying
Where Eagles Dare
Lord of Light
Face in the Sand
Die With Your Boots on
Back in the Village

Anyway, enough from me!

Well, since 1999 they have done four tours focusing on pretty much all "classic" material (Ed Huntour, Give me Ed 'til im Dead tour, Early Days tour and Somewhere Back in Time tour).
Im very glad seeing them focus on the latest three albums for this tour, but what really bugs me is that they play only stuff they have played before. There are great songs from DOD and BNW that haven't been played yet, or have been played only once or twice (Thin line between love and hate, Fallen Angel, Out of the silent planet, Montsegur and Face in the sand).
I would also like to see some of the songs you mentioned there, but i do understand why they play mostly newer material on this tour.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: June 10, 2010, 06:57:16 AM »
Nicko said that the tour would focus on the post-reunion albums.  Why the setlist is shocking anyone is beyond me.  Yeah its odd they didn't play The Trooper or Run to the Hills, but you have to give some credit to Iron Maiden for sticking to what they want to do.  Not including those two songs is pretty gutsy for a band as popular as they are.  I'm sure lots of casual fans who see these shows are going to be pissed off  :lol  Besides, like aurorablind said, they've already done four tours in the past ten years based on the 80s material.

Why are you guys complaining anyway?  THEY FUCKING PLAYED (spoilers) PaschenMOTHERFUCKINGdale!

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #870 on: June 10, 2010, 07:12:39 AM »
You're right. Paschendale is pretty much worth the money by itself :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #871 on: June 10, 2010, 07:13:08 AM »
Im very glad seeing them focus on the latest three albums for this tour, but what really bugs me is that they play only stuff they have played before. There are great songs from DOD and BNW that haven't been played yet, or have been played only once or twice (Thin line between love and hate, Fallen Angel, Out of the silent planet, Montsegur and Face in the sand).
Yeah, but this way they don't have to relearn and rehearse those songs, since they've never played them live - at least most of them.  :biggrin:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #872 on: June 10, 2010, 07:23:51 AM »
wolfking @ even though i found your setlist very interesting, there's no way they'll play something like it.
There's like 3-4 Maiden-songs that just 'has' to be played apparently, which is annoying when they only play for 1 ½ hour.

Personally, some songs i would love to see:

The Phantom of the Opera
Remember Tomorrow
Killers
Drifter
The Prisoner
Sign of the Cross
The Aftermath
The Angel and the Gambler
The Clansman
The Gates of Tomorrow

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #873 on: June 10, 2010, 07:27:14 AM »
wolfking @ even though i found your setlist very interesting, there's no way they'll play something like it.
There's like 3-4 Maiden-songs that just 'has' to be played apparently, which is annoying when they only play for 1 ½ hour.

Personally, some songs i would love to see:

The Phantom of the Opera
Remember Tomorrow
Killers
Drifter
The Prisoner
Sign of the Cross
The Aftermath
The Angel and the Gambler
The Clansman
The Gates of Tomorrow

Wot

Also, the setlist (minus Wildest Dreams) is awesome.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #874 on: June 10, 2010, 08:14:43 AM »
I'd certainly expect a fair amount of complaining about the setlist.  Personally, I was thrilled by it.  Keep in mind that only a small handful of markets actually got to see any of these songs before.  Most of us didn't get a DoD or AMoLoD tour at all.  I honestly thought I'd never get to see some of the songs they played last night. 
E.F. Benson