Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436070 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #560 on: March 31, 2010, 03:01:39 PM »
Disagree about Rime.  That song does a great job of recreating the atmosphere of Coleridge's poem.  Musically, it was a full-blown realization of the experiment that they teased us with on To Tame A Land.  

Yup.  The poem was a damn fine piece of work, and I think Maiden's efforts did it justice.  While the middle bass section might run a bit long, I think it's necessary for the epic sense of revelation that comes out of it.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: March 31, 2010, 03:05:36 PM »
Disagree about Rime.  That song does a great job of recreating the atmosphere of Coleridge's poem.  Musically, it was a full-blown realization of the experiment that they teased us with on To Tame A Land.  

Yup.  The poem was a damn fine piece of work, and I think Maiden's efforts did it justice.  While the middle bass section might run a bit long, I think it's necessary for the epic sense of revelation that comes out of it.  

And the gradual buildup into the solo after that part is one of my favorite moments for any Maiden song.  :metal
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #562 on: March 31, 2010, 03:27:19 PM »
Triad, I think there was a discussion about The X Factor somewhere in this thread, but to me, The X Factor is full of great ideas, and a lot of great songs. But it has this unfinished quality to it. The production for one, but there are parts of songs that just do go together. I can't cite examples off the top of my head. It became obvious how much the balance that Bruce/ Adrian contibuted to center some of Harris' ideas.
There just didn't seem to be anyone that could help Harris arrange the parts. The album has direction so I wouldn't say it lacks direction, but like I said, it just has a Demo quality or lack of completeness to it. In fact I think it has some of the best ideas and could've been a freaking masterpiece. To me, it's a very frustrating listen, because all of the pieces were in place for it to be so much more.

We've had this discussion about The X Factor before, and I still stand to my opinion. Let's just agree to disagree there. ;)

Nevertheless, I see your point about Harris not having anyone that supported/at times opposed his arrangements, but in my opinion, it was worse on Virtual XI. Four songs (interestingly, the four longest ones) were solely written by Harris, and there are many things that could bear changes in the arrangement. There is no originality in the songs, it's basically Steve Harris by numbers - the bass supporting the guitars even when there are no drums, one-line chorus lyrics etc. The only song on the album that somewhat manages to escape this one-dimensionality is Cómo Estáis Amigos.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #563 on: March 31, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Yeah, both albums, which have latent greatness in them, would've been better served if there was someone there to challenge Steve Harris, or at least given him someone to bounce things off of..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #564 on: March 31, 2010, 08:36:43 PM »
Triad, I think there was a discussion about The X Factor somewhere in this thread, but to me, The X Factor is full of great ideas, and a lot of great songs. But it has this unfinished quality to it. The production for one, but there are parts of songs that just do go together. I can't cite examples off the top of my head. It became obvious how much the balance that Bruce/ Adrian contibuted to center some of Harris' ideas.
There just didn't seem to be anyone that could help Harris arrange the parts. The album has direction so I wouldn't say it lacks direction, but like I said, it just has a Demo quality or lack of completeness to it. In fact I think it has some of the best ideas and could've been a freaking masterpiece. To me, it's a very frustrating listen, because all of the pieces were in place for it to be so much more.

We've had this discussion about The X Factor before, and I still stand to my opinion. Let's just agree to disagree there. ;)

Nevertheless, I see your point about Harris not having anyone that supported/at times opposed his arrangements, but in my opinion, it was worse on Virtual XI. Four songs (interestingly, the four longest ones) were solely written by Harris, and there are many things that could bear changes in the arrangement. There is no originality in the songs, it's basically Steve Harris by numbers - the bass supporting the guitars even when there are no drums, one-line chorus lyrics etc. The only song on the album that somewhat manages to escape this one-dimensionality is Cómo Estáis Amigos.

My favourite Maiden song of the '90s  :metal
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #565 on: April 01, 2010, 04:59:23 AM »
X Factor rules and is one of my favorite Maiden albums. I will defend it to the death.
Finally!  :tup  Fantastic album, my 3rd favorite by Maiden overall...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: April 01, 2010, 10:58:34 AM »
I agreee that the X-Factor is a good album and that Virtual XI is not.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #567 on: April 01, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »
It's production and Blaze hold it back.  If that album had Martin Birch and Silicon Messiah-era Blaze, then it's a top 3 easily, maybe even my favourite.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #568 on: April 02, 2010, 09:14:59 AM »
I was just watching the Philly 87 DVD and I really hope Caught Somewhere In Time is part of this year's setlist. Live, the main harmony/riff before the verses has always sounded thin, even on this soundboard, so I think with Jannick playing chords underneath it, it will really improve the song live.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: April 02, 2010, 10:34:53 AM »
I was just watching the Philly 87 DVD and I really hope Caught Somewhere In Time is part of this year's setlist. Live, the main harmony/riff before the verses has always sounded thin, even on this soundboard, so I think with Jannick playing chords underneath it, it will really improve the song live.

That would be badass.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #570 on: April 02, 2010, 11:13:19 AM »
I know this isn't 100% on topic, but it's really close, so what does everyone think about Bruce's solo career and with Samson? I love his solo stuff, very melodic and slightly more progressive at times, and very much a lot darker. It's really really good. Thoughts?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #571 on: April 02, 2010, 11:14:30 AM »
I love Bruce's solo work, but it's a crime that Adrian's Psycho Motel went pretty much unnoticed, two amazing albums.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #572 on: April 02, 2010, 11:16:49 AM »
I love Bruce's solo work, but it's a crime that Adrian's Psycho Motel went pretty much unnoticed, two amazing albums.
Yep, never heard of that  :lol
I'll check it out.

And my solo Bruce rankings would go lie this (I only have three)

1. The Chemical Wedding
2. Accident of Birth
3. Tyranny of Souls

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: April 02, 2010, 11:17:06 AM »
I like Bruce's solo stuff a lot, I actually prefer it over Maiden's stuff when they took in Blaze. Sounds like Bruce took the "Maiden sound" with him when he jumped ship in 1993, did some "Maiden sounding" solo albums, and then returned to the band. Accident Of Birth is one great album, I tell ya. It beats The X Factor and Virtual XI any day of the week.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #574 on: April 02, 2010, 11:51:03 AM »
The Chemical Wedding is the best them.

Of all them.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #575 on: April 02, 2010, 12:53:01 PM »
The Chemical Wedding is amazing, though i would like to give some praise for Tyranny of Souls.
That album just seems very underrated, and its amazing from start to finish.
I especially love 'Navigate the Seas of the Sun" which is imo the best ballad made by Bruce, followed by Jerusalem.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #576 on: April 02, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
TCW is amazing song-for-song all the way through.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #577 on: April 02, 2010, 03:48:50 PM »
I especially love 'Navigate the Seas of the Sun" which is imo the best ballad made by Bruce, followed by Jerusalem.

A man after my own heart...

Killing Floor is the only weak track imo.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #578 on: April 02, 2010, 03:55:14 PM »

I think it's awesome!
To me, the only "weaker" track is "Confeos", but I don't even know if that was originally included. It might be a bonus track.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #579 on: April 02, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »

I think it's awesome!
To me, the only "weaker" track is "Confeos", but I don't even know if that was originally included. It might be a bonus track.

Yeah thats a bonus track, can't say I've ever heard it though.  I love the dark production on CW.  Can't believe how well it fits the mood of the album.  I've said this so many times before but it bears repeating.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #580 on: April 02, 2010, 04:27:42 PM »

I think it's awesome!

Yeah thats a bonus track, can't say I've ever heard it though.  I love the dark production on CW.  Can't believe how well it fits the mood of the album.  I've said this so many times before but it bears repeating.
Yeah definitely his most "complete" album in terms of everything fitting together, the lyrics, the music, the artwork, everything.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #581 on: April 02, 2010, 06:21:16 PM »
Confeos is amazing.  Fuck the haters  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #582 on: April 02, 2010, 06:29:21 PM »
Confeos is amazing.  Fuck the haters  :metal :metal :metal
I agree, I just think it's the weakest track on the album.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: April 02, 2010, 06:39:29 PM »
Accident of Birth > Chemical Wedding
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #584 on: April 02, 2010, 06:52:11 PM »

Accident of Birth is an amazing album, but it doesn't have a "Jerusalem" or a "Book of Thel"

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #585 on: April 02, 2010, 07:03:14 PM »
I really love Skunkworks as well, but i know it isn't generally 'loved' by fans. :P

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #586 on: April 02, 2010, 08:08:11 PM »

Accident of Birth is an amazing album, but it doesn't have a "Jerusalem" or a "Book of Thel"
Or any of the other TCW songs.  :P

I really love Skunkworks as well, but i know it isn't generally 'loved' by fans. :P
I'll eventually get that one.

Offline LordCaptainMcKlockenstein

• M For Mancy.
« Reply #587 on: April 02, 2010, 10:12:23 PM »
"Book of Thel" is amazing.

I want to make love to it behind a Wal-Mart...

Offline Chagny

« Reply #588 on: April 03, 2010, 01:29:09 AM »
Seeing Maiden live with DT in June

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: April 03, 2010, 05:19:37 AM »
That tard is amazing. :lol

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #590 on: April 03, 2010, 01:19:37 PM »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #591 on: April 03, 2010, 02:12:20 PM »
River of no Return is an amazing song.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #592 on: April 03, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »

Hear, hear.

Fuck, now I want to do a Bruce Dickinson top 25 so I can express my love for his work.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #593 on: April 03, 2010, 04:29:34 PM »

Hear, hear.

Fuck, now I want to do a Bruce Dickinson top 25 so I can express my love for his work.

I would follow with interest. :)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #594 on: April 04, 2010, 10:17:02 AM »

Hear, hear.

I would follow with interest. :)