Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 435985 times)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #525 on: March 30, 2010, 12:37:58 PM »
Number of the Beast is a good album, for sure. But it probably wouldn't even be in my top 5 Maiden albums.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #526 on: March 30, 2010, 02:28:50 PM »
Number of the Beast is a good album, for sure. But it probably wouldn't even be in my top 5 Maiden albums.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline LordCaptainMcKlockenstein

• M For Mancy.
« Reply #527 on: March 30, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »
I'm not gonna praise it more than it deserves, but is a fantastic album. Sure it had a few less-memorable-as-a-whole songs (really, who knows "Total Eclipse" by anything besides the intro?) like "Total Eclipse", and, um, well.... that's fuckin' it! Every other song has extremely memorable parts. There is no way it deserves anything less than a four out of five... and that's pushing it.
TBH, 'Gangland' is pretty shitty too.

This.

But still, Rolling Stone is pretty much up their ass when it comes to music.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #528 on: March 31, 2010, 03:23:15 AM »
All Maiden albums are good or better, making it really hard to rank them.
I would probably say Powerslave or Brave New World for nr1, but it's really hard.
Every album has something appealing, for example i love the darker-sound on The X-Factor, but i don't enjoy it as much, because i prefer Bruce singing.
A Matter of Life and Death was pretty darn good as well, The Legacy is probably in my top5 maiden songs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #529 on: March 31, 2010, 06:43:13 AM »
Wow, I can't believe the dissing of TNOTB. I think it's taken for granted just how good this is. I mean, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Children Of The Damned, 22 Acacia Ave, The Prisoner, TNOTB.
This album was a HUGE jump from Killers, as big of gap between albums as they have. It's almost like a different band.

Personally, I'm not nuts about Invaders, but I love Gangland, and I actually think it would be right at home if it was included on Killers.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: March 31, 2010, 06:48:57 AM »
It is a good album. It just has not been one of my favorites.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #531 on: March 31, 2010, 06:58:11 AM »
Yeah, I just get sensitive to any criticism hurled its way. To me it's an untouchable album up there with Images & Words.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #532 on: March 31, 2010, 07:03:50 AM »
TNOTB is a great album yes, but not close to my favorites by them. 
Run To The Hills and the title track are 2 of the most annoying songs ever, and they've been so overplayed that i almost can't listen to them anymore. :P
Apart from that, i'm not that much for songs like Invaders and Gangland.
Still a classic album.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: March 31, 2010, 07:05:49 AM »
I don't thing Run to the Hills or the title track are annoying but I would agree they have been overplayed a bit.

And am I the only one who likes Invaders? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: March 31, 2010, 07:09:54 AM »
I like Invaders too. And I agree that RTTH and TNOTB has been overplayed to death.

Great album, but I think they've done better ones. Seventh Son and Somewhere In Time rank higher for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #535 on: March 31, 2010, 07:13:38 AM »
Brave New World, Dance of Death and A Matter of Life and Death are all very high for me, surprisingly seeing as other bands like Metallica had their best albums in the beginning.
Maiden has been awesome all the time. :)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #536 on: March 31, 2010, 07:16:07 AM »

Except for No Prayer, Virtual XI, and The X Factor

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: March 31, 2010, 07:18:27 AM »
No Prayer and The X Factor have some good songs. Virtual XI is pretty bad though.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #538 on: March 31, 2010, 07:21:44 AM »

Except for No Prayer, Virtual XI, and The X Factor

Haven't listened to No Prayer in a long-long time, however:
The X Factor - The Sign of the Cross
Virtual XI - The Clansman, The Angel and the Gambler

:3

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #539 on: March 31, 2010, 07:41:55 AM »
Believe me, I've heard Run To The Hill enough to last me a lifetime, but it was probably the most important song of their career.
Actually, I must say, when they performed it on the SBiT tour, the place (Mansfield, MA) went freaking nuts. It was very powerful.

Virtual XI has some decent songs. I would love to hear them do The Educated Fool with Bruce. I think Bruce singing that chorus would just kill.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #540 on: March 31, 2010, 07:58:05 AM »
I'm not gonna praise it more than it deserves, but is a fantastic album. Sure it had a few less-memorable-as-a-whole songs (really, who knows "Total Eclipse" by anything besides the intro?) like "Total Eclipse", and, um, well.... that's fuckin' it! Every other song has extremely memorable parts. There is no way it deserves anything less than a four out of five... and that's pushing it.

1.  Total Eclipse wasnt included on the original pressing (this may have already been mentioned, apologies if so).  So I'm thinking that means it doesnt get included when it comes to rating the album

2.  Totally disagree with you on the song itself.  Its a shitload better than Gangland and would've made the album a couple times awesomer if they had replaced the two. 

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #541 on: March 31, 2010, 08:40:54 AM »
I don't get the hate for Gangland.  I quite like it.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #542 on: March 31, 2010, 09:07:52 AM »
I don't get the hate for Gangland.  I quite like it.
I love the pre chorus, and I think it's one of the more memorable hooks on the album.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #543 on: March 31, 2010, 10:10:21 AM »
Whoa, did we just see a favorable mention of The Angel and the Gambler?  Holy shit.

Back to #, Total Eclipse would have made it a better album if it had replaced any of several songs.  Invaders and Gangland are two of my least favorite Maiden tunes.  RttH is really only memorable for the mighty Clive Burr's playing, IMO.  The title track is a fantastic live song, but the studio version is pretty ordinary.  CotD and Hallowed are really the only two stand out tracks, me thinks.  Though very similar in style, I think PoM crushes it on a song by song basis.  And while it's difficult to compare it to Killers since they're completely different, I'd much rather listen to a great Dianno album than a mediocre Bruce album.  Just my 2¢.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #544 on: March 31, 2010, 10:14:08 AM »
X Factor rules and is one of my favorite Maiden albums. I will defend it to the death.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #545 on: March 31, 2010, 12:17:24 PM »
Invaders - 8.5/10.0
Children Of The Damned - 9.0/10
The Prisoner - 8.5/10
22 Acacia Avenue - 8.0/10
The Number Of The Beast - 9.5/10
Run To The Hills - 9.5/10
Gangland - 9.0/10
Hallowed Be Thy Name - 10/10

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #546 on: March 31, 2010, 01:34:37 PM »
Whoa, did we just see a favorable mention of The Angel and the Gambler?  Holy shit.
Has to be their worst song..

, I think PoM crushes it on a song by song basis.
Crushes it? Wow, I can certainly see someone preferring PoM over TNOTB..but crushes is kind of strong. Bart, let me ask you this..what do you think of Powerslave? I thought it was a huge letdown after PoM.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #547 on: March 31, 2010, 01:47:36 PM »
Has to be their worst song..

, I think PoM crushes it on a song by song basis.
Crushes it? Wow, I can certainly see someone preferring PoM over TNOTB..but crushes is kind of strong. Bart, let me ask you this..what do you think of Powerslave? I thought it was a huge letdown after PoM.
Side two is perhaps Maiden's finest hour.  Side one is a solid effort.

As for NotB vs. PoM, if you put each of the nine songs up against each other, the PoM songs win out with the exceptions of Children and 22.  Even the mighty Hallowed goes up against a great song.  There aren't many times I specifically want to hear something off of Number.  I find myself wanting to hear PoM all the time.  It's just a better 9 songs. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: March 31, 2010, 01:50:09 PM »
PoM would be an awesome album if not for Die With Your Boots On. I really have a problem with that song.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #549 on: March 31, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »
I love Die With Your Boots On.

The problem Powerslave has with me is that it made a terrible first impression.
In 1984 I thought..
1. The album was very generic. The musical bridges in 2 Minutes and Powerslave were sooo predictable.
2. Rime was long just for the sake of being long.
3. I thought the Egyptian thing was queer and cliche'd.
4. I didn't think it held a candle to PoM, which sounded fresh.

In 2010 I think:
1. The Duallists is one of Maiden's greatest hidden gems
2. I LOVE the title track.
3. I still think Rime is bloated and overrated
4. It has aged very well, much better than Somewhere In Time (an album I LOVED when it came out, even claimed it to be my fave Maiden album at the time)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #550 on: March 31, 2010, 02:05:34 PM »

In 1984 I thought..
1. The album was very generic. The musical bridges in 2 Minutes and Powerslave were sooo predictable.

In 2010 I think:
4. It has aged very well, much better than Somewhere In Time (an album I LOVED when it came out, even claimed it to be my fave Maiden album at the time)

Stop reading my mind.  Nothing compared to POM when that came out.  I played that soooo much that I had to buy it again because I never took care of my albums(Stupid teenager)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #551 on: March 31, 2010, 02:07:35 PM »
I remember the day I bought PoM. (I picked it up with Riot's Narita!). I slept at a friends house. Did a little  :hat, and was completely mesmerized by To Tame A Land.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: March 31, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »
Funny thing is, I remember getting the cassette also.  Man the record labels made a fortune on me till I was able to tape  albums onto cassettes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #553 on: March 31, 2010, 02:18:57 PM »
They did it again when they started selling CD's. Now they're f##king reissuing CD's! WTF??

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: March 31, 2010, 02:24:17 PM »
They did it again when they started selling CD's. Now they're f##king reissuing CD's! WTF??

I've got to draw the line somewhere!  Oh and pay my mortgage so I've stoped buying reissues.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #555 on: March 31, 2010, 02:27:31 PM »

I totally agree. The song itself is good, but the bass arpeggios going on for three minutes is totally unnecessary.

Virtual XI - The Angel and the Gambler

Yeah, because listening for the same three lines 22 times is an awesome experience.

The X Factor still remains one of my favourite Maiden albums. I love the dark atmosphere of it, and it contains some of their best songs imo (SOTC, TEOD)
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: March 31, 2010, 02:30:47 PM »

It could probably be shorter but it is a great song as is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #557 on: March 31, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »
Triad, I think there was a discussion about The X Factor somewhere in this thread, but to me, The X Factor is full of great ideas, and a lot of great songs. But it has this unfinished quality to it. The production for one, but there are parts of songs that just do go together. I can't cite examples off the top of my head. It became obvious how much the balance that Bruce/ Adrian contibuted to center some of Harris' ideas.
There just didn't seem to be anyone that could help Harris arrange the parts. The album has direction so I wouldn't say it lacks direction, but like I said, it just has a Demo quality or lack of completeness to it. In fact I think it has some of the best ideas and could've been a freaking masterpiece. To me, it's a very frustrating listen, because all of the pieces were in place for it to be so much more.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #558 on: March 31, 2010, 02:51:07 PM »

In 1984 I thought..

In 2010 I think:

Disagree about Rime.  That song does a great job of recreating the atmosphere of Coleridge's poem.  Musically, it was a full-blown realization of the experiment that they teased us with on To Tame A Land.  

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #559 on: March 31, 2010, 02:57:18 PM »
I'm not saying I don't like it. I just think it's overrated and not this epic masterpiece that it's made out to be. LudwigVan, I liked your mention of To Tame A Land. I always got the feeling that TTAL was long, but we're gonna make a longer one.