Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436327 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #385 on: December 08, 2009, 09:13:17 PM »
Iron maiden's website states "watch this" at 6pm GMT.  The speculation is tour updates specifically headlining Sonisphere this summer. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #386 on: December 09, 2009, 07:48:28 AM »
I think that Clive Burr was the better drummer for Maiden. He had good timing, a great groove, and suited the style better at the time. I'm not saying that Nicko McBrain is bad, but his timing is weak at times (listen to Face In The Sand, he gets faster and faster throughout the song for no particular reason) and his drumming isn't always interesting.

Gotta agree, especially after watching Beast Over Hammersmith - wow, Clive slays on that.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #387 on: December 09, 2009, 07:51:02 AM »
Wow, that Clive thing spooked me too.  I was always a fan of his work.  Watching the Early Days concerts, the man was just a beast.  Nicko has only just recently started to really jump out at me. 

Steve Harris

To me, this guy is just about the most "metal" guy of all time. Never cut his hair, always stuck to his guns, never changed his style no matter what shitty popular genre comes along (grunge, nu-metal, metalcore), while other bands like Priest and Metallica gave into the temptation to follow trends Mr Harris just continued to churn out classic metal. Quite simply he has written many of the greatest metal songs of all time (Phantom of the Opera, Killers, 22 Acacia Avenue, Hallowed be thy Name, Where Eagles Dare, The Trooper, To Tame a Land, Aces High, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, need I go on?) Totally dedicated and passionate about the music and the fans.

I probably don't need to mention the man's skillz on the bass guitar.

To be frank, I wonder if that attitude has damaged the band as well as won it support. I don't think Priest ever sold out, they just made their sound heavier.
On the contrary, Priest sold out horrendously, and it hurt them dearly.  I'm not the only one who gave up on them because of Turbo.  This is something that Maiden never did.  There was a long period where Priest seemed to be chasing whatever style was popular at the time. 

How did they sell out? They started with hard rock, moved to metal and now play with hard rock and metal elements.
With a foray into 80's hair metal to get some MTV and radio time.  There was a long stretch where they seemed to be chasing the popular trends. 
Maiden damn sure never pulled anything like this.

This is correct. After Priest did the hair metal/glam thing, thrash was at its peak and Priest released their thrashiest album (Painkiller). Death metal took over in the 90s and Priest released the death metal-influenced Jugulator. By 2003 nu-metal was popular and Demolition had plenty of nu-metal elements.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: December 09, 2009, 11:10:40 AM »
Ironmaiden.com won't even load. Can't say I'm surprised.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #389 on: December 09, 2009, 11:15:52 AM »
Damn, the announcement was only for headlining Sonisphere in the UK.  I was hoping for a full tour announcement.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: December 09, 2009, 11:16:59 AM »
Really? That's kind of disappointing.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #391 on: December 09, 2009, 11:18:21 AM »
Yeah.  Usually when they preface it with something like that, it's a whole string of tour dates.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #392 on: December 09, 2009, 11:45:26 AM »
Yep, it's only Sonisphere...

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #393 on: December 09, 2009, 12:10:28 PM »
Good for me cause I'm most probably going to Sonisphere!

Apparently it's gonna be their only UK date of 2010 altho I cannae confirm that
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: December 09, 2009, 02:59:05 PM »
Really? That's kind of disappointing.

I knew they would announce Sonisphere which sounds like an awesome line up, but I was really hoping for more dates specifically USA dates.  Found it interesting that it says it's thier only UK show in 2010. 

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #395 on: December 09, 2009, 03:10:15 PM »
Wow, that Clive thing spooked me too.  I was always a fan of his work.  Watching the Early Days concerts, the man was just a beast.  Nicko has only just recently started to really jump out at me. 

Steve Harris

To me, this guy is just about the most "metal" guy of all time. Never cut his hair, always stuck to his guns, never changed his style no matter what shitty popular genre comes along (grunge, nu-metal, metalcore), while other bands like Priest and Metallica gave into the temptation to follow trends Mr Harris just continued to churn out classic metal. Quite simply he has written many of the greatest metal songs of all time (Phantom of the Opera, Killers, 22 Acacia Avenue, Hallowed be thy Name, Where Eagles Dare, The Trooper, To Tame a Land, Aces High, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, need I go on?) Totally dedicated and passionate about the music and the fans.

I probably don't need to mention the man's skillz on the bass guitar.

To be frank, I wonder if that attitude has damaged the band as well as won it support. I don't think Priest ever sold out, they just made their sound heavier.
On the contrary, Priest sold out horrendously, and it hurt them dearly.  I'm not the only one who gave up on them because of Turbo.  This is something that Maiden never did.  There was a long period where Priest seemed to be chasing whatever style was popular at the time. 

How did they sell out? They started with hard rock, moved to metal and now play with hard rock and metal elements.
With a foray into 80's hair metal to get some MTV and radio time.  There was a long stretch where they seemed to be chasing the popular trends. 
Maiden damn sure never pulled anything like this.

This is correct. After Priest did the hair metal/glam thing, thrash was at its peak and Priest released their thrashiest album (Painkiller). Death metal took over in the 90s and Priest released the death metal-influenced Jugulator. By 2003 nu-metal was popular and Demolition had plenty of nu-metal elements.

I'd say there's a difference between adaptation and selling out.

Whereas someone like Queensryche could be accused of dropping metal completely, Priest have tried to keep within their vision while not abandoning their sound.

The idea that Maiden haven't changed as well - as if Dianno era would have had songs about "dinosaurs walking the earth" . People seem to be forgetting that Maiden were reduced to a shadow of their former selves for most of the 90s.

Ask most people which is better "No prayer for the dying" or "Painkiller" and I think most would say the latter.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #396 on: December 09, 2009, 03:37:18 PM »

Ask most people which is better "No prayer for the dying" or "Painkiller" and I think most would say the latter.
I certainly would.  However, NPftD is still very much Maiden; just not particularly good Maiden.  Painkiller was yet another completely different version of Priest.  Any Maiden fan could listen to any of their albums and immediately recognize the music.  Try following along from Defenders-Turbo-Ram it Down-Painkiller.  Their's no musical similarity between them. 

Furthermore, Priest went in whichever direction the money seemed to be thickest.  I don't think anybody could say that Maiden released No Prayer to try and get rich off of MTV and radio airplay. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #397 on: December 09, 2009, 03:50:34 PM »
The main difference is that Judas Priest peaked with Painkiller, while Maiden bottomed out with No Prayer.

The tours were both quite interesting. The first leg of the Painkiller tour had Megadeth and Testament opening up Priest were amazing. Then they came back with the Operation Rock n Roll package, and Alice Cooper mopped the stage with them. Something was missing from their performance as the tour went on.

Maiden, although the No Prayer album was very disappointing, the No Prayer tour was one of their most spirited shows. I saw them in New Jersey and in Providence and they kicked complete ass!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #398 on: December 10, 2009, 09:11:29 AM »
Iron Maiden just announced that they're headlining Sonisphere in Sweden and Finland also.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #399 on: December 10, 2009, 09:18:31 AM »
And this is important why?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #400 on: December 10, 2009, 01:04:10 PM »
Hmm, it would be pretty cool if Maiden were unveiling tour dates every day, sort of like an Advent calendar...

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #401 on: December 10, 2009, 05:17:53 PM »
Because I think most people would not say Priest "sold out".

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #402 on: December 10, 2009, 06:00:58 PM »
Painkiller was cool, and NPftD was pretty bad, but the point remains.  Maiden never sold out, and Priest did big-time, repeatedly through the late 80's. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #403 on: December 10, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »
I don't think NPFtD is that bad, it's just uninspired.  It's all pretty consistent, but overall just so average.  Whereas its successor is split into amazing songs and awful ones.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #404 on: December 11, 2009, 01:40:39 PM »
Painkiller was cool, and NPftD was pretty bad, but the point remains.  Maiden never sold out, and Priest did big-time, repeatedly through the late 80's. 
Your point yes.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: December 11, 2009, 01:48:51 PM »

I thought this was what most metal fans thought, actually.  I've heard it so much.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #406 on: December 15, 2009, 06:43:04 AM »
Another gig announced.

August 11th, Bergen, Norway.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #407 on: December 15, 2009, 07:45:10 AM »
Another gig announced.

August 11th, Bergen, Norway.

I wonder if the new album will be released by then.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #408 on: December 15, 2009, 07:51:10 AM »
I'm 99% sure the answer is no.  They're on the same schedule as AMOLAD/DOD, which means we're looking at a September release, with a summer pre-tour and a fall album tour.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #409 on: December 15, 2009, 03:20:51 PM »
I'm 99% sure the answer is no.  They're on the same schedule as AMOLAD/DOD, which means we're looking at a September release, with a summer pre-tour and a fall album tour.

So, if I see them pre-album, will they not be coming back for the actual tour? As in, say they go on a N/S American tour, and My part of NA gets toured right before the album release, and SA gets toured with the album, will I get to see them play in support of the new one? Another way to look at it: Is the pre-album tour separate from the album tour?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #410 on: December 15, 2009, 04:09:31 PM »
I'd find it unlikely for them to skip NA on an album tour.  That being said, it might be extremely limited such as the 2004 NA Dance of Death tour, or to a lesser extent the AMOLAD tour.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #411 on: December 15, 2009, 05:59:31 PM »
Toronto and Quebec are some of Maiden's biggest craziest places, as stated on Flight 666. I doubt they would skip Canada during the album part of the tour. Either way, recording in January, album will come out shortly after, around July-ish? then tour starts shortly after that. Fuckin eh!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: December 15, 2009, 07:48:32 PM »
They are writing songs now, will record in early 2010, do a summer pre tour, and release the album early fall.  Then do a world tour in late fall through early 2010.  Maiden said that Sonisphere UK will be the only show in the UK this year so that makes me think they will hit up Europe toward the end of the album tour.  I expe t the summer tour to include maybe one or atthe most two new songs, but I expect a strong dose of songs from their last three albums mixed with the classics.  I just hope NA gets summer dates and fall dates.  I fully expect them to tour NA forthe new album though, at least the major cities.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #413 on: December 15, 2009, 09:07:31 PM »
Thanks to everyone that answered.

I was just scared that they would pull a Megadeth ( :2metal:) and only play the songs that had been released before the album came out (Headcrusher, then 1,320' later on) until the album came out. So the people that saw them before Endgame basically got screwed over if they wanted to hear the new album.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #414 on: December 15, 2009, 09:28:30 PM »
I've been hearing rumours of May for NA  :metal

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #415 on: December 15, 2009, 09:39:04 PM »
I've been hearing rumours of May for NA  :metal
:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #416 on: December 16, 2009, 07:11:31 AM »
Maiden headlining Wacken confirmed.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #417 on: December 16, 2009, 03:46:41 PM »
Besides Ozzfest (which to me has worsened exponentially over time), are there ANY metal festivals in the US???

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #418 on: December 16, 2009, 04:25:23 PM »
Besides Ozzfest (which to me has worsened exponentially over time), are there ANY metal festivals in the US???

Couple underground ones, couple mid-sized ones (Progpower, for example).  Only festival in the larger European sense is Heavy MTL, which had its first year in 2008 and is gearing up for 2010.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #419 on: December 22, 2009, 11:35:05 AM »
Hey guys usually I'm against advertising my survivors in other threads but the voter dropoff has gone too far. Fellow Maiden fans, go check out the P/S section and vote in the Maiden survivor. We're in the finals right now and the results are being skewed from votes being spread too thin. Only YOU can save the Maiden survivor.

To go vote in the Maiden survivor.