Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 435945 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #350 on: October 14, 2009, 06:15:09 AM »
Steve Harris

To me, this guy is just about the most "metal" guy of all time. Never cut his hair, always stuck to his guns, never changed his style no matter what shitty popular genre comes along (grunge, nu-metal, metalcore), while other bands like Priest and Metallica gave into the temptation to follow trends Mr Harris just continued to churn out classic metal. Quite simply he has written many of the greatest metal songs of all time (Phantom of the Opera, Killers, 22 Acacia Avenue, Hallowed be thy Name, Where Eagles Dare, The Trooper, To Tame a Land, Aces High, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, need I go on?) Totally dedicated and passionate about the music and the fans.

I probably don't need to mention the man's skillz on the bass guitar.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #351 on: October 14, 2009, 06:21:53 AM »
Steve Harris

To me, this guy is just about the most "metal" guy of all time. Never cut his hair, always stuck to his guns, never changed his style no matter what shitty popular genre comes along (grunge, nu-metal, metalcore), while other bands like Priest and Metallica gave into the temptation to follow trends Mr Harris just continued to churn out classic metal. Quite simply he has written many of the greatest metal songs of all time (Phantom of the Opera, Killers, 22 Acacia Avenue, Hallowed be thy Name, Where Eagles Dare, The Trooper, To Tame a Land, Aces High, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, need I go on?) Totally dedicated and passionate about the music and the fans.

x1000

My biggest influence to pick up a bass tbh.
gone

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: October 14, 2009, 06:58:37 AM »
I was just listening to some Maiden last night, and really focused in on his bass playing. Really impressive and innovative stuff.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #353 on: October 14, 2009, 08:36:21 AM »
Inspired by the "Top 50" Maiden thread, here are 5 Maiden songs I like a lot but don't seem to fare as well on others' lists:

The Prisoner - Killer song. Awesome intro, nice chorus, fast and heavy, Bruce sounds nice and mean on this one
Heaven Can Wait - A ballbuster of a song IMO - OK, the chorus isn't great, but I love the intro and outro, and that whole middle section is outstanding
The Prophecy - I think this song has very nice melodies, and I really like the way Bruce sings it
Tailgunner - not as awesome as Aces High by any means, but similar in feel and structure I think (and similar subject matter)
The Thin Line Between Love & Hate - Might be my favorite Maiden song ATM. About a thousand great solos (especially during the ending which is one of my absolute favorite Maiden sections) but I also like the riffs and chorus

Dream, I have The Prisoner at #21 and The Prophecy at #48 of my Top 50. I love The Prophecy and it's really an underappreciated gem. Bruce just kills on it.
I also have The Thin Line... at #11 on my list. A great song indeed.

I never really cared for Heaven Can Wait. I thought it was in the setlist for way too long. But, you know, it's a song that has actually aged very well, and I like it a lot more now than I did in 1987.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #354 on: October 15, 2009, 12:08:20 AM »
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns is really good and quite catchy. What are your faves on AMoLaD guys?

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #355 on: October 15, 2009, 12:16:50 AM »
The Legacy (also my favourite Maiden song right now) and Lord Of Light.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #356 on: October 15, 2009, 02:59:27 AM »
I like Brighter Than a Thousand Suns.  Anyone notice the similarity between Lord Of Light and River of No Return off of Tyranny of Souls?  Gets me every time.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #357 on: October 15, 2009, 03:29:23 AM »
I gotta agree on The Legacy.
Its imo one of the best Maiden-songs (at least personal top5), and i love everything about it.
Can't wait for their next album. =)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #358 on: October 15, 2009, 07:18:27 AM »
Just happen to have my Photobucket open. thought I'd drop this one taken at the Provideence Civic Center on 3/30/87.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #359 on: October 15, 2009, 02:51:47 PM »
2010 WORLD TOUR ANNOUNCED!!!!!! I just made a thread about it, but I'm not sure if it should get merged into here. Either way,  :metal  :metal

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #360 on: October 15, 2009, 03:05:21 PM »
Steve Harris

x1000

My biggest influence to pick up a bass tbh.

And not just bass, but his work ethics and dedication should be an example and inspiration to anyone in music.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #361 on: December 07, 2009, 12:17:10 PM »
The official site has "Watch this space 6pm Wednesday 9th December GMT".

*giddy with excitement*
:2metal:
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #362 on: December 07, 2009, 12:18:16 PM »
I hope that means revealing the title and cover art for the new album.  :metal

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #363 on: December 07, 2009, 12:39:02 PM »
I hope that means revealing the title and cover art for the new album.  :metal

Considering they haven't recorded it yet, no way.

It's going to be a summer pre-album tour announcement.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #364 on: December 07, 2009, 12:45:07 PM »
OK, apparently the Sonisphere Festival in UK are also annoucing something big at 6pm GMT on Wednesday too. Coicidence...? :tup

Shame as I'm going to Bloodstock instead already and can't really afford 2 festivals.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #365 on: December 07, 2009, 12:46:10 PM »
OK, apparently the Sonisphere Festival in UK are also annoucing something big at 6pm GMT on Wednesday too. Coicidence...? :tup

Shame as I'm going to Bloodstock instead already and can't really afford 2 festivals.

Rumours have been flying as to Maiden playing Sonisphere.  I am reasonably certain it's not a coincidence.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: December 07, 2009, 02:37:40 PM »
If that's the case then I really hope this is more than them just announcing that they're playing that festival. I want a tour!
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #367 on: December 07, 2009, 03:15:44 PM »
Everyone knows Maiden are playing Sonisphere...Nicko was at the fest last year and has already admitted they're playing
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #368 on: December 07, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
Steve Harris

To be frank, I wonder if that attitude has damaged the band as well as won it support. I don't think Priest ever sold out, they just made their sound heavier.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #369 on: December 07, 2009, 04:42:48 PM »
Steve Harris

To be frank, I wonder if that attitude has damaged the band as well as won it support. I don't think Priest ever sold out, they just made their sound heavier.

Maiden's sound would change dramatically with Scott Travis on drums too.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #370 on: December 07, 2009, 04:49:10 PM »
WE'RE BLOOD BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTHERRRRRRRRRRS.

In other news, The Nomad SUCKS.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: December 07, 2009, 05:00:32 PM »
The Nomad is awesome!
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #372 on: December 07, 2009, 05:03:05 PM »

In other news, The Nomad SUCKS.

wut

Also, I'm reasonably sure they're playing Graspop too.  And with Ed Force One in play, I wouldn't be surprised if we see NA, Asia, and some other far-flung locales as well.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #373 on: December 07, 2009, 05:16:55 PM »
Just a thought:

Similar to Cliff Burton's death to Metallica, what do you guys think Maiden would've sounded like if Clive never passed??

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #374 on: December 07, 2009, 05:23:17 PM »
I /hate/ the Nomad Chorus, it sounds almost whiney, and it's really really annoying. Apart from that it's a perfect album, especially out of the silent planet :metal

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #375 on: December 07, 2009, 05:49:20 PM »
Just a thought:

Similar to Cliff Burton's death to Metallica, what do you guys think Maiden would've sounded like if Clive never passed??

Well, besides the obvious drumming implications, I believe Maiden would've played songs a lot faster  :metal

If you've ever heard any bootlegs from 1981-82 you'll know what I mean.  Maiden was basically speed metal.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #376 on: December 07, 2009, 05:54:33 PM »
Just a thought:

:omg:
I'm sorry..did I miss something??

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #377 on: December 07, 2009, 05:55:15 PM »
Just a thought:

I think he meant left the band.  Clive is most definitely still alive.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #378 on: December 07, 2009, 05:58:16 PM »
Oh..OK.

It's a good question. I liked Maiden with Clive. I don't know if I'd go as far as Speed Metal, but it would've been different. But the more I think about it, Nicko really helped to give Maiden its personality. I think he's largely responsible for the "Zepplinesque" quality that they have. To me, he continued John Bonham's work for the next generation.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #379 on: December 07, 2009, 06:21:17 PM »
Just a thought:

I think he meant left the band.  Clive is most definitely still alive.
Yeah, sorry about the bad wording...  :laugh:

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #380 on: December 08, 2009, 04:27:35 AM »
I hope the news is something a little better than "they're playing a show nowhere near you so you can't go, lolz"

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #381 on: December 08, 2009, 04:56:30 AM »
I think that Clive Burr was the better drummer for Maiden. He had good timing, a great groove, and suited the style better at the time. I'm not saying that Nicko McBrain is bad, but his timing is weak at times (listen to Face In The Sand, he gets faster and faster throughout the song for no particular reason) and his drumming isn't always interesting.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #382 on: December 08, 2009, 12:44:14 PM »
Wow, that Clive thing spooked me too.  I was always a fan of his work.  Watching the Early Days concerts, the man was just a beast.  Nicko has only just recently started to really jump out at me. 

Steve Harris

On the contrary, Priest sold out horrendously, and it hurt them dearly.  I'm not the only one who gave up on them because of Turbo.  This is something that Maiden never did.  There was a long period where Priest seemed to be chasing whatever style was popular at the time. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #383 on: December 08, 2009, 01:23:26 PM »
Wow, that Clive thing spooked me too.  I was always a fan of his work.  Watching the Early Days concerts, the man was just a beast.  Nicko has only just recently started to really jump out at me. 

Steve Harris

On the contrary, Priest sold out horrendously, and it hurt them dearly.  I'm not the only one who gave up on them because of Turbo.  This is something that Maiden never did.  There was a long period where Priest seemed to be chasing whatever style was popular at the time. 

How did they sell out? They started with hard rock, moved to metal and now play with hard rock and metal elements.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #384 on: December 08, 2009, 02:03:24 PM »

Steve Harris

How did they sell out? They started with hard rock, moved to metal and now play with hard rock and metal elements.
With a foray into 80's hair metal to get some MTV and radio time.  There was a long stretch where they seemed to be chasing the popular trends. 
Maiden damn sure never pulled anything like this.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson