Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436443 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #4375 on: June 03, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
Out of the original Maiden England set, they are probably the two I'd like to see the most, along with 7th Son.

Hell, trade out Fear of the Dark for To Tame a Land for good measure too. 7th Son, TTaL, Phantom of the Opera, Still Life and Infinite Dreams? :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4376 on: June 03, 2014, 06:53:22 PM »
Mr G, you are officially dreaming.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4377 on: June 03, 2014, 06:57:25 PM »

Was gonna post this.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4378 on: June 03, 2014, 06:58:49 PM »
While they're at it, maybe bust out The Sheriff Of Huddersfield! :biggrin:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4379 on: June 03, 2014, 07:04:31 PM »
Also;

Alexander the Great
Judgement Day
Nomad
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
No Prayer For the Dying
Reach Out
The Unbeliever
Caught Somewhere in Time
Starblind
Lord of Light

Whatdya reckon??!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:11:15 PM by wolfking »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4380 on: June 03, 2014, 07:06:21 PM »
I'd hit that!!

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4381 on: June 03, 2014, 07:09:59 PM »

Was gonna post this.  :lol

I don't care! I'd rather a wicked as hell dream like that than what we're currently getting! :lol

Also;

Alexander the Great
Judgement Day
Nomad
No Prayer For the Dying
Reach Out
The Unbeliever
Caught Somewhere in Time
Starblind

Whatdya reckon??!

Missing some Lord of Light in there. :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4382 on: June 03, 2014, 07:11:31 PM »
Yeah why not, Lord of Light is fucking legit!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4383 on: June 03, 2014, 07:14:17 PM »
Id love that, but please... no Reach Out. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4384 on: June 03, 2014, 07:15:14 PM »

Reach Out is awesome!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4385 on: June 03, 2014, 07:16:57 PM »
Im not familiar with the original, but I cringe when I hear it with Adrian on vocals.  Just not my cup of tea.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4386 on: June 03, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »

Well, i cannot believe i am going to do this....

"..It's over your head..."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4387 on: June 04, 2014, 01:58:47 AM »
Also;

Alexander the Great
Reach Out
Caught Somewhere in Time
Whatdya reckon??!
I would be in tears if they would pull out these songs live. So much nostalgia for me. :chill
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4388 on: June 04, 2014, 05:15:16 AM »

Well, i cannot believe i am going to do this....

"..It's over your head...

Real nice bro, you nailed it!!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4389 on: June 04, 2014, 04:10:46 PM »
Does anyone have Eddies Archieve?  Very cool b-sides on it, and I thought Reach out was great.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4390 on: June 04, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »
Does anyone have Eddies Archieve?  Very cool b-sides on it, and I thought Reach out was great.

Yes i have it and thats why I dont like Reach Out.  I clearly dont get it. I actually dont like most of the b-sides. Although surprisingly to some (not me) the Blaze b-sides are amazing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4391 on: June 04, 2014, 04:54:09 PM »

Amazing boxset.  Mine is still in perfect condition.

Yes i have it and thats why I dont like Reach Out.  I clearly dont get it. I actually dont like most of the b-sides. Although surprisingly to some (not me) the Blaze b-sides are amazing.

You do realize the origins behind the SIT b-sides and why they are so different in style?

Also, the Blaze b-sides are Maiden's best b-sides.  A shame that I Live My Way was missing from the b-sides cd.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4392 on: June 04, 2014, 06:51:17 PM »
Glad you agree with Blaze's b-sides and I figured you would cause if I remember correctly, you like me, are a big fan of the X-Factor.

And no, I am not familier with the origin of the SIT b-sides

As for Eddie's Archive, the story of how I obtained mine is funny.  My college roommate and I became die hard IM fans together while in college at Penn State.  There was a local CD/record store in the downtown area that my father always went to and would find some obscure record and buy it.  So one time when he came to visit, he wanted to go to that record store.  So I figured, if I were to ever find an Eddies Archive, it would be in a store like this.  We went and I searched and searched and searched and I couldnt find it.  The place was pretty unorganized so it took at least like 45 minutes while my father dug through all the records.  Well eventually my father found what he wanted and I gave up so we go to check out and I can remember this so well, as he was paying, I turn my head to the left and on top of a stack of random things was the Eddies Archive.  It was like 120 bucks and i didnt have that much cash on me so I immediately called my roommate and told him to take my keys and car and come down and buy it.  Which he did and as he tells me, after buying it.  The guy at the counter tells his other co-worker "Hey, someone finally bought Eddies Archive"  We ended up splitting the cost and after we graduated we played a game of war to determine who keeps it and I won, so it sits nicely on my man cave on display.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4393 on: June 04, 2014, 07:00:58 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Entire_Population_of_Hackney
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasted_Years
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_in_a_Strange_Land_%28song%29

At the end of the 1985 World Slavery Tour, Iron Maiden took 6 months off, when Nicko McBrain's frustration of not playing after winding down from an extensive Maiden tour and looking at a six month break, drove him to rent a rehearsal studio and invite Adrian Smith along to jam. The two invited more friends including: Dave Colwell (the one who wrote "Reach Out"), Andy Barnett [1] as well as Martin Connoly, a friend of McBrain's who also played in Marshall Fury. Both Colwell and Barnett helped write "That Girl" during this project and it was later used with FM.

McBrain arranged two gigs one under the name The Entire Population of Hackney and the other under the name The Sherman Tankers. The audience recording called The Entire Population of Hackney was taken from the first show; Bruce Dickinson, Dave Murray & Steve Harris joined the band on stage only for the encores.[2] Their set includes songs from all the members and some covers from Bob Seger and ZZ Top.

The result of this short break from Iron Maiden was that three of the songs featured in the setlist would be later used on two Iron Maiden singles. "Reach Out" featured on Wasted Years and "Juanita" and "That Girl" featured on Stranger in a Strange Land.[3]

The B-sides to this single, "That Girl" and "Juanita", were both played during The Entire Population of Hackney secret gig on 19 December 1985, with Adrian Smith on vocals. This is probably where the idea came from to play them as B-sides, especially with Adrian's large presence on this single and the Somewhere in Time album.

"That Girl" was originally written for The Entire Population of Hackney by the guitarist Andy Barnett, and was recorded by both Iron Maiden and FM around the same time. It was prominently featured on FM's 1986 debut album Indiscreet, which was released just three weeks prior to Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time. The FM's version was rewritten by bassist Merv Goldsworthy and drummer Pete Jupp, resulting in the two versions being significantly different, sharing only harmony on the verses and some of the lyrics. However, Iron Maiden's version is still credited to both Goldsworthy and Jupp alongside Barnett, possibly due to copyright issues. The first guitar solo is played by Dave Murray while the ending guitar solo is played by Adrian Smith, who also played bass on the recording because Steve Harris didn't want to learn to play the song.

"Juanita" was originally played by Barnett's band Marshall Fury in the early 1980s, and it was written by Steve Barnacle and Derek O'Neil. Marshall Fury never recorded a studio version of the song. Iron Maiden's version features Bruce Dickinson (who reportedly changed some of the lyrics during the recording) on vocals, Nicko McBrain on drums and Adrian Smith on all guitars and bass.

The b-side "Reach Out" was sung by Adrian Smith, with regular lead singer Bruce Dickinson providing backing vocals. This song was previously performed live by Nicko McBrain and Smith's side project The Entire Population of Hackney.

The demential song "Sheriff of Huddersfield" is about Iron Maiden manager Rod Smallwood's decision to move to Los Angeles and buy a house in the Hollywood Hills. Apparently he had trouble adjusting to the LA lifestyle and often complained to the band about it. Interestingly Smallwood was unaware of the composition until it was released on the single, as the band had kept it secret from him. The song opens with the spoken line "We're on a mission from Rod", a parody of the tagline for The Blues Brothers, "We're on a mission from God". Later, a similar comedy piece called "Bayswater Ain't a Bad Place to Be", again mocking Smallwood, was released as an unlisted untitled b-side ("Space Station No. 5"'s epilogue) in the "Be Quick or Be Dead" single.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4394 on: June 04, 2014, 07:11:52 PM »
Thats cool and all and I can respect that, but I dislike all three of those songs. Just not my cup of tea.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4395 on: June 04, 2014, 07:13:04 PM »
I don't even want to mention how much I paid for my copy of EA lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4396 on: June 04, 2014, 07:24:48 PM »
I don't even want to mention how much I paid for my copy of EA lol

I think mine cost $150.  Looking back now, for the content compared to boxsets these days, that's hell expensive.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4397 on: June 05, 2014, 12:23:03 PM »
I'm so amped and stoked right now.  Iron Maiden is playing the Rock AM Ring Festival and I think it is being streamed in about 35 min.

https://www.ringrocker.com/rock-am-ring-livestream.php

The Offspring played before them, the quality is all right.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4398 on: June 05, 2014, 12:36:51 PM »
That's awesome man! Thx for the headsup!  :metal

Pretty solid quality actually. Watching Volbeat at the moment.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4399 on: June 05, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »
Moooooooooooonchiiiiiillllld!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4400 on: June 05, 2014, 01:18:58 PM »
I'm watching it now :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4401 on: June 05, 2014, 01:24:02 PM »
The Prisoner has such a fun chorus to sing along with.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4402 on: June 05, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
Damn, I am assuming I missed it since I see a German band playing now? I have no idea who they are or what they are saying.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4403 on: June 05, 2014, 05:19:58 PM »
Should come up on youtube soon I hope.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4404 on: June 13, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »
Man if there's one dude I really would love to sit down and have a pint with it's Mr McBrain, he could entertain anyone with road stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0cMGEbGi9o

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4405 on: June 13, 2014, 01:46:25 PM »
What the hell are you talking about?

Nothing.  I completely made that up because I feel inferior in my Maiden knowledge to all of you long-time fans, so I wanted to have a brief moment of fun while you wondered whether there might actually be something out there that you didn't know about.  But I have had my brief moment in the sun, and now my time has passed...

I googled The Monkey, The Prophet, And The Idol too.  :rollin

Oh god... I must've dropped out of this thread, because I just clicked the 'new' button, and this was the section of the discussion it took me to.  :spitcoffee:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4406 on: June 17, 2014, 06:50:28 AM »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4408 on: June 17, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »
yeah, that was brilliant.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4409 on: June 17, 2014, 02:14:22 PM »
Wow that was great.