Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436001 times)

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #280 on: July 16, 2009, 12:12:13 PM »
No matter how much a certain bunch don't like Train of Thought through Black clouds...Dream Theater has never made anything really bad...They haven't made a Fear of the Dark, No Prayer, Virtual Xi.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #281 on: July 16, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »
Something went very wrong with No Prayer and FOTD. Bruce sounds terrible on both albums, the song writing feels shallow and have horrible production.

I agree. I was listening to FOTD about a week and a half ago,. It had been awhile, and I couldn't believe how bad Bruce sounds on it.

Brave new World, Dance of Death and AMOLAD are up there with the 5 classic 80s albums to me.
No question about it. As stong of 3 record run as they've had in their career. I think I've mentioned that a half dozen times in this thread. Throw in Rock In Rio and Death On The Road, both of which are great.

This band had a midlife crisis, no doubt, but since Bruce AND Adrian returned, they've really been stronger and better than ever.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #282 on: July 16, 2009, 03:28:55 PM »
Maiden suffered production-wise throughout the '90s.  Probably because of the exit of Martin Birch, before the entrance of Kevin Shirley, and the dominance of Steve production-wise at that point.

The X Factor would've been a top 3 Maiden album if not for the production.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #283 on: July 16, 2009, 03:36:12 PM »
Production was definitely not great on The X Factor. It has so much untapped potential in it.

Buy I think missing Bruce and Adrian really contributes bacause I think they were real valuable in the writing and arranging of the songs.

The X Factor has an almost "demo" like quality to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #284 on: July 16, 2009, 03:43:59 PM »
I love the 'darker' sound of TXF, it suits the music and the subject matter, definately

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #285 on: July 16, 2009, 03:48:08 PM »
I love the 'darker' sound of TXF, it suits the music and the subject matter, definately

Yeah, I don't disagree, but there's just something missing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #286 on: July 17, 2009, 08:32:47 AM »
I think a heavier guitar sound and a good performance by Blaze is missing.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #287 on: July 17, 2009, 08:53:24 AM »
The similar thread between the four commonly accepted Maiden misfires - NPftD, FotD, TXF and VXI - are, in my opinion:

1) Especially true to the ones with Bruce, everyone sounds a little off. Bruce seems like he's struggling a bit. The guitars are still playing in unison like only guitars in Maiden can, but none of it is nearly as interesting or powerful as, for example, the cool stuff they did in "Hallowed Be Thy Name" or "Revelations".

2) I think the music's lacking in the intangibles. It sounds formulaic, passionless and stale. After seven albums of not straying far from their comfort zone, I think they finally got to the point where they could churn out riffs and vocals easily, but there was no excitement about anything they were doing.

3) A summation of the above points, overall, they just weren't as hooky as older Maiden albums. You can still groove and rock to the songs, but you don't remember them like you did "Powerslave" or "Wasted Years".

:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #288 on: July 17, 2009, 12:32:19 PM »
I actually really like Fear of the Dark and Virtual XI. Both have some filler, but some absolutely killer tracks as well.

The X Factor is so dull though. Sign of the Cross is amazing, but the rest just really bores me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: July 17, 2009, 12:44:15 PM »
Is anyone else extremely dissapointed they are waiting so long to hit the studio?  I understand they need some time off, but I think with all thier success and the fact that its been 3 years since thier last album, they shouldn't take such a long break.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #290 on: July 17, 2009, 12:48:06 PM »
Yeah, how dare they have lives and families?!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #291 on: July 17, 2009, 01:01:24 PM »
VXI is the Iron Maiden album that sounds worst, imo. It's a typical loudness war victim - loud as fuck, no dynamics, no punch. TXF is like bliss compared to that. My only beef with the sound of that album is the bad-sounding guitars (distorted violins?) and the punch-less snare drum. Brave New World sounds great, but it is far too loud as well. I don't even want to start with DOD...
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: July 17, 2009, 01:58:37 PM »
Is anyone else extremely dissapointed they are waiting so long to hit the studio?  I understand they need some time off, but I think with all thier success and the fact that its been 3 years since thier last album, they shouldn't take such a long break.

If you appreciate them taking their time instead of demanding they re-enter the studio, the chances of you hooking up with one of Steve Harris' 3 hot daughters increases slightly, so pipe down!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #293 on: July 17, 2009, 03:49:24 PM »
If you appreciate them taking their time instead of demanding they re-enter the studio, the chances of you hooking up with one of Steve Harris' 3 hot daughters increases slightly, so pipe down!

:lol

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #294 on: July 17, 2009, 04:23:55 PM »

Faye Harris is the best looking one, IMO.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #295 on: July 19, 2009, 02:15:31 PM »
Just put on The Thin Line Between Love & Hate for the first time in ages. This song is godly. And I don't use that term often, if ever.

:hat

"Oh! I faaakin' missed it!"
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: July 21, 2009, 12:03:21 PM »

haha, I saw Lauren Harris up close and she is very good looking.

Yeah, how dare they have lives and families?!

Nothing wrong with them spending time off, just seems like they are taking a long time off considering they are on a hot streak.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #297 on: July 21, 2009, 04:17:34 PM »
Don't know if anyone has seen this, but this has been doing the rounds today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7bAuzNTIBs

:metalol:

EDIT: DAMMIT! Just saw the thread. :lol
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: July 21, 2009, 07:02:32 PM »

That's amazing

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: July 21, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »

That's amazing

Holy shit. This made my night.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #300 on: July 22, 2009, 12:43:26 AM »

Awesome. :lol There have been some great mash-ups popping up lately.

Mentlegen.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #301 on: July 22, 2009, 03:48:51 AM »

:rollin That just works far too well!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #302 on: July 22, 2009, 07:01:12 AM »
I just finished the Blaze era. The problem with those albums for me is that they're really boring. They're not bad in an annoying sense so much as they put me to sleep.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #303 on: July 22, 2009, 07:18:36 AM »
I think many a few Blaze-era songs suffer from this because many songs (particularly songs written by Steve Harris) seem to have been stretched out just for the sake of being long. The Angel And The Gambler, for example,  could have been a decent 4-minute song, but instead, we got a 10-minute long pile of crap with the same three lines repeated over and over again. One of the few concise songs of this era I can think of is Cómo Estáis Amigos (which also happens to be my favourite song on Virtual XI).

Mentlegen.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #304 on: July 22, 2009, 11:41:31 AM »
I think the Blaze era would be less boring if the production was a little livelier.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #305 on: July 22, 2009, 12:12:05 PM »
I think many a few Blaze-era songs suffer from this because many songs (particularly songs written by Steve Harris) seem to have been stretched out just for the sake of being long. The Angel And The Gambler, for example,  could have been a decent 4-minute song, but instead, we got a 10-minute long pile of crap with the same three lines repeated over and over again. One of the few concise songs of this era I can think of is Cómo Estáis Amigos (which also happens to be my favourite song on Virtual XI).
Pretty much all of this. Como Estas Amigos is a great song, very concise with a great melody, and there's one moment that always gives me a chill. But lots of Blaze-era songs really suffer from the repeating-lines-over-and-over-after-the-last-chorus problem. In fairness, a number of Dickinson songs have the same problem, but his voice is more interesting and he does things differently each time to make it more enjoyable to listen to, whereas Blaze might as well have sung the line once and copied and pasted it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline SinisterMinisterX

• Grand Poobah of Small Miscellaneous Objects
« Reply #306 on: July 22, 2009, 12:17:47 PM »
I think many a few Blaze-era songs suffer from this because many songs (particularly songs written by Steve Harris) seem to have been stretched out just for the sake of being long. The Angel And The Gambler, for example,  could have been a decent 4-minute song, but instead, we got a 10-minute long pile of crap with the same three lines repeated over and over again. One of the few concise songs of this era I can think of is Cómo Estáis Amigos (which also happens to be my favourite song on Virtual XI).

Mostly agree, but I'd also point to "Futureal" as a concise (and rocking) song. Also "Lord Of The Flies".

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #307 on: July 22, 2009, 01:34:56 PM »
I was just pointing out one example. But here are all the Blaze-era songs I consider written very concisely and not stretched out:

Lord Of The Flies
Man On The Edge
Look For The Truth
(Blood On The World's Hands)
The Edge Of Darkness
2 AM
Futureal
Cómo Estáis Amigos

As you can see, Virtual XI obviously suffers much harder from the "syndrome" I've pointed out than The X Factor.

Mentlegen.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #308 on: July 22, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »
I think many a few Blaze-era songs suffer from this because many songs (particularly songs written by Steve Harris) seem to have been stretched out just for the sake of being long. The Angel And The Gambler, for example,  could have been a decent 4-minute song, but instead, we got a 10-minute long pile of crap with the same three lines repeated over and over again. One of the few concise songs of this era I can think of is Cómo Estáis Amigos (which also happens to be my favourite song on Virtual XI).
Pretty much all of this.

To me, the reason for this was that there was no Bruce or Adrian to reign in Steve and help center a lot of the great ideas that actually do flow on these 2 albums.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #309 on: September 17, 2009, 06:07:32 PM »

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: September 17, 2009, 06:14:10 PM »
I bought Flight 666 on vinyl a few days ago, it's pretty cool.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #311 on: September 18, 2009, 06:13:35 AM »
i'd like to point out that the clairvoyant is an epic song.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #312 on: September 18, 2009, 06:15:16 AM »
Wearing a Maiden shirt for picture day  :metal
gone

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #313 on: September 18, 2009, 07:23:17 AM »
i'd like to point out that the clairvoyant is an epic song.

Duly noted.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #314 on: September 18, 2009, 07:37:09 AM »
My top 5 albums:
1. Somewhere in time
2. Seventh son of a seventh son
3. The X Factor
4. Iron Maiden
5. A Matter of life and death

Top 10 songs:
1. Sign of the cross