Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436389 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #4270 on: January 30, 2014, 04:26:31 AM »
 Didn´t Steve Grimmett from Grim Reaper audition as well?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4271 on: January 30, 2014, 04:30:11 AM »
I don't recall hearing exactly who auditioned but there was definitely talk about Grimmett
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4272 on: January 30, 2014, 07:45:19 AM »
I always despised Grim Reaper.

But at least he would have been no stranger to repetition.   See You In Hell is just as bad as The Angel and the Gambler. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4273 on: January 30, 2014, 10:19:50 AM »
I always despised Grim Reaper.

But at least he would have been no stranger to repetition.   See You In Hell is just as bad as The Angel and the Gambler.
That's very funny.

I went to the Grim Reaper/Armored Saint/ Helloween tour in '87 and we stayed for one GR song and left. Heck, at the time I wasn't planning to stay for Armored Saint but they grabbed me by the throat and wouldn't let me go. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4274 on: January 30, 2014, 11:45:20 AM »
I saw a VERY unusual Armored Saint show in Perth in ´09 - John Bush was sick and could not sing, so Joey Vera handled the vocals. Dark Angel was the headliner, and both bands came on stage to play AC/DC´s Let There Be Rock as an encore.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4275 on: January 30, 2014, 12:20:15 PM »
Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4276 on: January 30, 2014, 12:54:40 PM »
Kiske has always said Iron Maiden is one of his favorite bands. I'v watched and read old and new interviews where he's said this. He was kicked out of Helloween. He would have stayed if they had let him. Sure, he was trying to change the musical direction of the band, but he still wanted to be in the band. The guy wrote a few songs for the Keepers albums that were most definitely heavy metal. The whole 'Kiske hates metal' thing has been blown way out of proportion. He would have joined Maiden if he had the chance.

This brings to mind the album Kiske made with Adrian Smith. I wonder how it is, and if i can find it ;( Adrian Smith has always been my favorite out of Maidens 3 guitarists. Then again, I think it's his playing i like the most; It can be hard to distinguish who plays what when there's 3 guitarists.

When you listen to Maidens last 4 records, can you tell which guitarist is playing what? I'd like to be able to tell how their playing styles differ. I'd like to know whose the more melodic, whose more heavy and stuff like that. A lot of their songs start have really clean sounding intros. and harmonies, and i never know whose playing them.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #4277 on: January 30, 2014, 12:57:16 PM »
I can tell, as all three actually have fairly distinct lead tones. But I may be an exception to the rule.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4278 on: January 30, 2014, 01:13:33 PM »
 NotePad, I have tried for years to figure out what led Kiske out of Helloween...he tried to drive the band towards a pop oriented sound which I hated, in the Chameleon album. Then he left (or was kicked out like you said - I´m not sure), and released a couple of metal albums! The one he did with Adrian Smith is called Instant Clarity, and is awesome! Check out this album, and see if you can find what he wrote on the liner notes about his Helloween buddies. Something along the lines of "thank you for showing me what friendship and honesty are NOT about". HArsh!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4279 on: January 30, 2014, 01:44:51 PM »
This brings to mind the album Kiske made with Adrian Smith. I wonder how it is, and if i can find it ;

Kiske's 1996 album Instant Clarity features Adrian on 3 tracks.

New Horizons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqyVNs_KzxQ
Kai Hansen also plays on this song. Adrian has the 2nd solo

The Calling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4itd9WxcGw
Again, with Hansen, but Adrian has the first solo

Hunted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4itd9WxcGw
Adrian only plays the solo

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4280 on: January 30, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »
I love those tracks.  That was an excellent collaboration.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4281 on: January 30, 2014, 01:52:19 PM »
I love those tracks.  That was an excellent collaboration.
Yeah it really was. It's a great album. And with Hansen there, I feel there was such a missed opportunity. This was he last decent thing Kiske did until Toby Sammet resurrected his career.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4282 on: January 30, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
Yeah, that's a fair statement.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4283 on: January 30, 2014, 02:00:02 PM »
Of course it's a fair statement! I said it! :D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4284 on: January 30, 2014, 02:33:45 PM »
Of course it's a fair statement! I said it! :D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4285 on: January 30, 2014, 02:36:04 PM »
Fu#king awesome Wolf!
 :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4286 on: January 30, 2014, 03:56:47 PM »
The whole 'Kiske hates metal' thing has been blown way out of proportion.

If you'd seen and read many interviews with him over the years I think you'd come to a different conclusion - he was on his own little musical and spiritual planet for a long time.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:13:30 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4287 on: January 30, 2014, 09:55:23 PM »

When you listen to Maidens last 4 records, can you tell which guitarist is playing what? I'd like to be able to tell how their playing styles differ. I'd like to know whose the more melodic, whose more heavy and stuff like that. A lot of their songs start have really clean sounding intros. and harmonies, and i never know whose playing them.

Murray's style is unique. I can tell him from anybody. The other two I can't tell apart, and of course there are times when Murray doesn't do his thing and I'm lost. Anyhoo, Guinea Pig made a couple of excellent posts on the matter a few years back. Search this thread for legato and you'll see them both. Pretty definitive.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #4288 on: January 30, 2014, 11:35:30 PM »

Murray's style is unique. I can tell him from anybody. The other two I can't tell apart, and of course there are times when Murray doesn't do his thing and I'm lost. Anyhoo, Guinea Pig made a couple of excellent posts on the matter a few years back. Search this thread for legato and you'll see them both. Pretty definitive.

Actually, I have an easier time distinguishing Adrian from the other two on the newer albums. I really think that his playing was helped along and became much better from his time in Bruce's solo band. My guess is that Roy Z really challenged his playing ability and rubbed off on him in a very positive way.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4289 on: January 31, 2014, 12:00:18 AM »
I heard Helloween was on the Monsters of Rock tour in like 88 or 87, with Maiden. See, Helloween was on the verge on being really fuckin huge back then! I know that sometime during these Deris years they've supported Maiden on a tour. They should both be Headling a tour I say! I'd love to see that, fuck, that'd be great man. I wonder how long, say, Maiden or Helloween will stick around for. Helloween has a new album like every 2 years. I see them going for maybe 5-10 more years. Maiden on the other hand will probably never official retired, like i talked about earlier in this thread ;)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4290 on: January 31, 2014, 02:59:26 AM »

Actually, I have an easier time distinguishing Adrian from the other two on the newer albums. I really think that his playing was helped along and became much better from his time in Bruce's solo band. My guess is that Roy Z really challenged his playing ability and rubbed off on him in a very positive way.

+100.  H is the only Maiden guitarists who solo's like he has something to prove.  The other guys have rested on the same shit they've done for years while H is constantly evolving.  And I agree with you that Roy Z pushed H, I think I said it a few years back, early in this thread, but I've often wondered whether H got a few cheeky lessons of Roy back in the Bruce solo days.  Once he started playing with Roy he started to incorporate a lot more diminshed-type licks and runs, you can hear the change in his playing, which worked so well once he rejoined Maiden.

Adrian - Razor-like tone, thoroughly worked out solos, not much in the way of improv.  His solo's usually follow the same structure, which he talks about a little bit here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wItsn3r_kc

Dave - Smooth, fast legato playing, lots of trills, mellow neck-pickup tone. 

Janick - Generally messy poop, save for the more ballad-y type songs where he manages to play some seriously tasty emotional solos i.e, Wasting Love, Blood Brothers

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4291 on: January 31, 2014, 04:19:44 AM »
I actually think H has taken a bit of a step backwards with his playing since rejoining Maiden.  His solos over the last four albums have been as repetitive and similar as the other two.

And H learnt Drop D from Roy.  I don't think he had much more that H could take from him.  Roy's playing also seemed to take a small step back after Balls.  Together, they were a fantastic team though.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #4292 on: January 31, 2014, 12:17:30 PM »
I actually think H has taken a bit of a step backwards with his playing since rejoining Maiden.  His solos over the last four albums have been as repetitive and similar as the other two.

And H learnt Drop D from Roy.  I don't think he had much more that H could take from him.  Roy's playing also seemed to take a small step back after Balls.  Together, they were a fantastic team though.

I know that we are both only expressing opinions, but WOW!!! I couldn't disagree with you more other than the part about Roy and Adrian being a great team. Yes, Adrian's solos have become very distinctive, but in my opinion there is a ton of taste in each and every one of them. To each their own.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4293 on: January 31, 2014, 02:39:04 PM »
Hey, I love what he is doing, he's one of my fav guitarists, but I just think he's been a little boxed in since rejoining Maiden with his solos.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4294 on: January 31, 2014, 02:41:03 PM »
I like his breakdown of the Wicker Man solo on that video.  I never really paid close enough attention to realize how crazy it actually is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4295 on: January 31, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »
Yeah, that one is quite intricate.  BNW had some great ones from him even though he only got a couple of solos on that album. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4296 on: January 31, 2014, 02:45:55 PM »
True.  But his guest solo on The Monkey, The Prophet, And The Idol is still my favorite by far.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4297 on: January 31, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »
True.  But his guest solo on The Monkey, The Prophet, And The Idol is still my favorite by far.

???

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4298 on: January 31, 2014, 02:48:50 PM »
You don't like it?  Honestly, that solo is one of the main reasons I decided that I really needed to give Maiden a shot after all these years.  Oh well.  To each his own.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4299 on: January 31, 2014, 02:52:34 PM »
What the hell are you talking about?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4300 on: January 31, 2014, 02:56:43 PM »
:bosky:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4301 on: January 31, 2014, 03:03:50 PM »
I've obviously missed something.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4302 on: January 31, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »

Nothing.  I completely made that up because I feel inferior in my Maiden knowledge to all of you long-time fans, so I wanted to have a brief moment of fun while you wondered whether there might actually be something out there that you didn't know about.  But I have had my brief moment in the sun, and now my time has passed...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4303 on: January 31, 2014, 03:07:03 PM »
 :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4304 on: January 31, 2014, 03:08:38 PM »

Nothing.  I completely made that up because I feel inferior in my Maiden knowledge to all of you long-time fans, so I wanted to have a brief moment of fun while you wondered whether there might actually be something out there that you didn't know about.  But I have had my brief moment in the sun, and now my time has passed...

I googled The Monkey, The Prophet, And The Idol too.  :rollin