Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 435972 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #4235 on: January 19, 2014, 01:19:24 PM »
As much as I love a lot of the stuff in the Bruce Reunion era, the classic Maiden era still trumps most anything from it (save Fear and No Prayer). My introduction to IM was Number of the Beast and then afterwards, Powerslave. Those two and Seventh Son have to be my top 3. I do love some of the more progressive elements they've been going towards lately, a lot of it seen in TFF. When the Wild Wind Blows has to be my favorite Bruce Reunion era song.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4236 on: January 20, 2014, 12:17:44 AM »
To be honest, I am much more familiar with the Blaze stuff and Bruce reunion-era much more then i am the stuff before it. I had a copy of Fear of The Dark and was very disappointed by it. Sounded like they were trying to go more commercial with that one, hence my Priest comparison. But the one no one likes, No Prayer, is an album that has many song i greatly enjoy. Mother Russia is killer!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4237 on: January 20, 2014, 12:31:06 AM »
I like No Prayer more than Fear f the Dark.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4238 on: January 20, 2014, 12:33:08 AM »
To be honest, I am much more familiar with the Blaze stuff and Bruce reunion-era much more then i am the stuff before it. I had a copy of Fear of The Dark and was very disappointed by it. Sounded like they were trying to go more commercial with that one, hence my Priest comparison. But the one no one likes, No Prayer, is an album that has many song i greatly enjoy. Mother Russia is killer!

Please please PLEASE go listen to the entire Piece of Mind album RIGHT NOW!!!   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4239 on: January 20, 2014, 01:30:28 AM »

Please please PLEASE go listen to the entire Piece of Mind album RIGHT NOW!!!
So much this and while you're at it do the same with Seventh Son, Iron Maiden, Killers and The Number Of The Beast....oh and also Somewhere In Time and Powerslave.  :biggrin:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4240 on: January 20, 2014, 01:47:00 AM »
I'v always loved the song. 7th Son. I just don't really know what song are on that album. I like a lot of their earlier stuff, I'm just not sure what albums a lot of the songs come from.

I'v heard 7th Son is more progressive. I'v heard that a lot. I'm surprised I don't hear the post-Blaze albums referred to as progressive very often.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #4241 on: January 20, 2014, 08:39:54 AM »
As much as I love a lot of the stuff in the Bruce Reunion era, the classic Maiden era still trumps most anything from it (save Fear and No Prayer).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #4242 on: January 20, 2014, 07:38:52 PM »
I'v always loved the song. 7th Son. I just don't really know what song are on that album. I like a lot of their earlier stuff, I'm just not sure what albums a lot of the songs come from.

I'v heard 7th Son is more progressive. I'v heard that a lot. I'm surprised I don't hear the post-Blaze albums referred to as progressive very often.
7th Son is a classic album.  Also one of my favorite tours of theirs that I saw live. :clap:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4243 on: January 21, 2014, 12:15:10 AM »
As much as I love a lot of the stuff in the Bruce Reunion era, the classic Maiden era still trumps most anything from it (save Fear and No Prayer).

Pretty much this for me. I like the reunion stuff but it can't beat their material from the eighties.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4244 on: January 25, 2014, 11:41:08 PM »
There are bands out there that are metal bands, but they're not really classified in any subgenre, like Death Metal, or Power Metal. The first bands that come to mind are Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Ozzy Osborne. They're just metal bands. Judas Priest I'd say is another one, kind of. Painkiller and Jugulator are fo described as Speed Metal or Thrash, but overall Priest is just considered a metal band like Maiden or Sabbath.

I know Maiden and Priest are often considered the top bands in metal, often pitted against each other. Would you say Priest and Maiden are the same 'genre' of metal (meaning just 'metal)? Or should one of them be considered, say, power metal for example?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4245 on: January 25, 2014, 11:44:52 PM »
I consider both Maiden and Priest to be just "metal", but I do think they sound quite different.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #4246 on: January 25, 2014, 11:49:38 PM »
They're both most certainly major influences to the power metal genre, though I don't think I'd call them power metal themselves. They always sat as just "heavy metal" for me. We know they were part of the NWOBHM movement, but I wouldn't call that a specific genre of music either. It's pretty tough actually, because they aren't necessarily "heavy metal" in the vein of Sabbath or Deep Purple.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4247 on: January 26, 2014, 12:00:53 AM »
I'm also curious how people would classify the 2 Blaze albums. Lots i'd say would say their also just 'metal' albums.

But everything they did from XFactor up until now could be considered progressive metal. But most don't think of Maiden in that way, one reason being they  have no 'prog' traits like DT or Symphony X. They progressive in another way. They're Progressive, not Prog ;p

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #4248 on: January 26, 2014, 12:06:46 AM »
I'm also curious how people would classify the 2 Blaze albums. Lots i'd say would say their also just 'metal' albums.

I would say Heavy Metal with elements of Progressive Metal (a bit).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #4249 on: January 26, 2014, 08:34:36 AM »
I'm also curious how people would classify the 2 Blaze albums.
I'd classify them as boring.

I kid, I kid.  :biggrin:

But everything they did from XFactor up until now could be considered progressive metal. But most don't think of Maiden in that way, one reason being they  have no 'prog' traits like DT or Symphony X. They progressive in another way. They're Progressive, not Prog ;p
I'd just say they're metal. There are a couple songs with some progressive tendencies, about as much as they used to do, but overall, they got much more progressive from BNW and onward and even then I'd still classify those albums as just metal albums.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4250 on: January 26, 2014, 12:36:47 PM »
Are there any maiden songs that could be called power metal?

I also think it would be awesome if Maiden had an album that was musically like Painkiller.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #4251 on: January 26, 2014, 01:21:12 PM »
Are there any maiden songs that could be called power metal?
What do you think constitutes power metal?

Is it the fantasy aspect? If so, then they've had plenty of power metal songs.

Is it the heavy, symphonic aspect that is typically attributed to power metal? Then no, I'd say they have not.

Or is it maybe the more 'speed metal-esque' aspect? Someone more versed in speed metal could probably point out some Maiden songs that qualify, but I think early, Dianno era Maiden probably had the most speed metal qualities to it.

While they may have flirted with a power metal sound at times and maybe even influenced its development, I don't think Maiden has ever had a 'true' power metal song in their catalog. They've never played anything as... over-the-top and bombastic as most power metal, but I can be a genre-snob sometimes, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I also think it would be awesome if Maiden had an album that was musically like Painkiller.
For better or worse, Maiden have never been as adventurous as Priest. They have their sound and while they have tweaked or even stepped outside of that sound a bit, they've largely stuck to it since Bruce joined. I don't mean this to sound like they're stagnant or unchanging, but put a Bruce reunion-era song up against something from Number of the Beast or Piece of Mind and both sound like Maiden.

Priest, on the other hand, dallied with all different types of sounds throughout their careers: speed, symphonic, thrash, glam, nu-metal, blues and straight up metal. I don't find their catalog to be consistent at all and one could maybe fault them for just following trends, but the fact is they stepped out of their comfort zones multiple times and did something different.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4252 on: January 26, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
By power metal, I'm thinking more of the fastness, the big chorus's. Helloween style power metal. Not blind guardian style, with the symphonic elements and the fantasy themes.

I'm just wondering if any Maiden songs come close to this. I doubt they have any songs with big sing-along chorus's like eagle fly free or The Saints. But is there any maiden that flirts with this style? After all, helloween has been described as being like maiden but faster ;) I also see a similarity in the way both bands write clean guitar harmonies and intros.

Wasted Years is a pretty fast song, and has a big and catchy chorus that I'm sure crowds sing-along with at shows. Are there any more?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4253 on: January 26, 2014, 01:54:26 PM »
As far as crowd singalongs, I think Maiden started writing with that in mind around Piece of Mind.  You find there are songs on most albums that have big crowd singalong moments, mainly whoa-oh-oh's :P

Prolly best to just watch Rock in Rio.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4254 on: January 27, 2014, 03:33:16 PM »
You can sings along to any of their choruses really. You can see their influence on what would become European Power Metal, but you will not find a power metal influence in Maiden.

I mean, Aces High is not something that I would classify as power metal, but you can certainly see how it could fit the mold.

Take Accept for instance. They made music that was in the AC/DC vein all the way to Judas Priest and Maiden. But check out Fast As A Shark. This song to me, was really the impetus for the European Power Metal movement. Speedy double bass with a killer chorus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkiuJg5HhtM
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4255 on: January 27, 2014, 03:50:07 PM »
I think songs like Quest For Fire, Flash of the Blade, Sun and Steel, The Duellists could classify as power metal.  They are cheesy and have that big pompous somewhat happy sounding choruses.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4256 on: January 27, 2014, 05:11:37 PM »
I think songs like Quest For Fire, Flash of the Blade, Sun and Steel, The Duellists could classify as power metal.  They are cheesy and have that big pompous somewhat happy sounding choruses.

I could see those two as power metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4257 on: January 28, 2014, 01:05:25 AM »
Notepad with all due respect but why are you wondering so much if something is called power metal? You started a thread about it and now you're asking about in other threads. To answer your question though: No but alot of bands got inspired by Maidens earlier albums and experimented that sound further with even faster tempo and lots of melodies which eventually became it's own genre.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #4258 on: January 28, 2014, 08:13:27 PM »
By power metal, I'm thinking more of the fastness, the big chorus's. Helloween style power metal. Not blind guardian style, with the symphonic elements and the fantasy themes.

I'm just wondering if any Maiden songs come close to this. I doubt they have any songs with big sing-along chorus's like eagle fly free or The Saints. But is there any maiden that flirts with this style? After all, helloween has been described as being like maiden but faster ;) I also see a similarity in the way both bands write clean guitar harmonies and intros.

Wasted Years is a pretty fast song, and has a big and catchy chorus that I'm sure crowds sing-along with at shows. Are there any more?
:\  Ummmm .... the stadium sang along to the big choruses of at least half of the songs Maiden played at their last concert that I attended.  Run To The Hills, Fear of the Dark, Number of the Beast, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Aces High......

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4259 on: January 28, 2014, 11:03:07 PM »
Hey they say Michael Kiske was considered to replace Bruce. Not sure how true that is. When I think of it, yeah, actually as a singer he would have been a really good choice and probably more accepted then Blaze was, who know's maybe we never would have gotten Bruce back......;p But really, the dude was so young at the time. And he's german. But as a vocalist he would have been great IMHO for them, I really wouldn't be surprised if his name was brought up more then a few times with the guys.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4260 on: January 29, 2014, 12:32:06 AM »
 All respect to Steve Harris, but he had a few great choices to replace Bruce: Michael Kiske, Doogie White and the guy from Grimm Reaper - all of which at some point have auditioned when Bruce left. And yet he chose Blaze!  :facepalm:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4261 on: January 29, 2014, 02:56:52 AM »
Kiske was never asked to join Maiden: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-helloween-singer-says-there-s-no-truth-to-rumor-he-was-asked-to-join-iron-maiden/

Wait a minute, what am I doing in this thread? I'm not a fan of Maiden or Helloween :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4262 on: January 29, 2014, 02:59:40 AM »
Well you should be :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4263 on: January 29, 2014, 03:01:15 AM »
I can take Maiden in small doses and I like some of their hits, but all the full albums I've heard have been pretty meh and samey.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4264 on: January 29, 2014, 03:53:00 AM »
 Kiske may not have been asked to join, but Doogie White auditioned twice, and was quite upset about losing to Blaze Bayley. I would be upset as well, and I canīt even sing!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4265 on: January 29, 2014, 04:07:39 AM »
Kiske may not have been asked to join, but Doogie White auditioned twice, and was quite upset about losing to Blaze Bayley. I would be upset as well, and I canīt even sing!

Give it a rest bro, seriously.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4266 on: January 29, 2014, 06:12:22 AM »
I wouldn't have hired a guy called "Doogie" either.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4267 on: January 29, 2014, 11:52:33 PM »
Well, i like to think Kiske almost got it. I'm sure he was considered. I could see him singing songs like Run To The Hills or Aces High, for example. But clearly they wanted to do something different, hence Blaze.

Do you think Kisks would have joined if he was asked? I'm pretty sure he was out of Helloween when all this happened.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4268 on: January 30, 2014, 03:34:38 AM »
Well, i like to think Kiske almost got it. I'm sure he was considered. I could see him singing songs like Run To The Hills or Aces High, for example. But clearly they wanted to do something different, hence Blaze.

Do you think Kisks would have joined if he was asked? I'm pretty sure he was out of Helloween when all this happened.

It was between Blaze and Doogie.  There were names floating around about other people that auditioned, but I think all we know for certain was the only other singer that we know for sure was in the running was Doogie, and he almost got it.

Doogie is a great singer, he would have performed the old stuff pretty well and I'm sure the band would have taken a similar approach to what they were already doing. (ie Fear and Prayer)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4269 on: January 30, 2014, 04:23:38 AM »
Kiske had a real thing for a long time that all metal was evil and he would never return etc........I doubt he would've taken it even if it was offered at that time.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au