Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436009 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #4165 on: January 09, 2014, 09:16:45 AM »
Add me to the list of people who found TFF underwhelming.

AMoLaD
BNW
DoD
TFF

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #4166 on: January 09, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
Rank the reunion albums?

Brave New World
Brave New World
Brave New World
Brave New World

:biggrin:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4167 on: January 09, 2014, 10:37:04 AM »
Bosk, I really feel that you would love at least HALF of Fear Of The Dark. It was their first album in the CD age and they filled it up with...filler ;D But if they widdled it down to an LP time length, it would be actually quite good, only if they cut the right songs.

I don't doubt you.  And I likely will pick it up at some point.  But for the time being, I just don't feel any desire to.  Keep in mind that I picked up 10 studio albums, one live CD, and two live DVD's of theirs in a span of about 8 months.  Not to mention all the other great music that came out from other bands toward the end of 2013.  I don't feel like I've even been able to fully digest what I already have.  No need to get anything new just yet.
Get it used! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4168 on: January 09, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »
:lol  I probably will.  That's how I have gotten a lot of the Maiden disks I have.  I saw used copies of both of those not long ago, but they were still about $9, which is a bit pricey for a used single disk album.  Depending on demand and the condition of the case, that same place has used CDs as low as $2, so I'm not paying $9 for an album I don't have a strong desire for.  But you can bet that if I find $5 or $6 copies, I'll probably snatch them up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4169 on: January 09, 2014, 04:12:23 PM »
Did you ever get around to listening to the Dianno material? 

Yeah, I picked Killers up awhile back.  Wasn't my cup of tea. 
That's too bad. I greatly prefer Bruce to Dianno, but I think the material from Killers is outstanding. Hell, the guitar solos from Prodigal Son alone make it better than half their later output.

El Barto the wise.  Killers is a WILDLY underrated album in most circles.  Even Di'anno says is 'not even a patch on' the S/T but its awfully hard to fault Killers.  Even the weaker stuff like Purgatory still have awesome elements that you never see in Reunion era Maiden.  The 90 degree tempo change in Genghis Khan??? Forget about it!!!!!  Clive's drumming is impeccable, Steves bass tone has more midrange growl than on any other album, H is on POINT as ever and Davey wasn't yet into his 'play legato really fast' phase and was still quite Hendrix-y with his playing.  Killers is great.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #4170 on: January 09, 2014, 04:36:46 PM »
Killers is awesome. The first three tracks and the title track are the highlights for me.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4171 on: January 09, 2014, 04:41:48 PM »
I rank Killers toward the bottom of my IM list, and put the debut in my top 5, my top 3 if I am feeling generous.

AMoLaD is by far my favorite reunion album. DoD has high highs, and low lows. BNW is middle of the pack. And I just can't really get in to TFF much.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4172 on: January 09, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »
I rank Killers toward the bottom of my IM list, and put the debut in my top 5, my top 3 if I am feeling generous.

AMoLaD is by far my favorite reunion album. DoD has high highs, and low lows. BNW is middle of the pack. And I just can't really get in to TFF much.

Thats a great way of putting it.  I totally agree with that.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4173 on: January 09, 2014, 11:07:18 PM »
BNW is the best, then AMOLAD.

I don't get how so many fans hate the Blaze stuff so much. It was kind of a precursor to what they would later do, in particular AMOLAD. By this i mean long and epic songs. I just don't see why so many hate it sooooooo much.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4174 on: January 10, 2014, 02:27:50 AM »
Its generally held in pretty good esteem, at least by most people here.  The X Factor is one of their best.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4175 on: January 10, 2014, 04:47:05 AM »
I hate anything from the Blaze era for the simple fact that he couldnīt sing to save his life. He sound out of tune even in studio songs sometimes!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4176 on: January 10, 2014, 04:51:27 AM »
I hate anything from the Blaze era for the simple fact that he couldnīt sing to save his life. He sound out of tune even in studio songs sometimes!!!

The X Factor had very raw performances.  But Blaze can sing just fine.  Check out his solo stuff for further proof.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4177 on: January 10, 2014, 04:57:15 AM »
I agree. HEīs much more comfortable with his solo stuff. I was actually not angry at him for joining Maiden, but could not understand what was Steve Harrisī rationale for choosing him to replace Bruce. I mean, itīs ok to want something different, but then why wouldnīt they change the old songs and write proper new ones to fit his voice?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4178 on: January 10, 2014, 05:07:26 AM »
I agree. HEīs much more comfortable with his solo stuff. I was actually not angry at him for joining Maiden, but could not understand what was Steve Harrisī rationale for choosing him to replace Bruce. I mean, itīs ok to want something different, but then why wouldnīt they change the old songs and write proper new ones to fit his voice?

The songs he did weren't too bad for his voice.  They weren't perfect like his solo material, but IMO they were more than acceptable.  Having Blaze sing the old songs in standard tuning was just cruel.  They did try and pick different songs that fitted his voice more, like Clairvoyant, Evil That Men Do and Heaven Can Wait, but all in all, they should have detuned at least a whole step.  Yes, it would have changed the sound dramatically, but fuck, the singer might have had a chance then.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4179 on: January 10, 2014, 05:30:17 AM »
Blaze is a perfectly fine singer in his own. I think the x factor suffers from bad production that ended up making blaze sound worse. His solo stuff is great so that's proof enough that he is capable.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4180 on: January 10, 2014, 06:03:46 AM »
Blaze is a perfectly fine singer in his own. I think the x factor suffers from bad production that ended up making blaze sound worse. His solo stuff is great so that's proof enough that he is capable.

I always dug the rawness of the X Factor's production.  Plus Nicko's toms sound amazeaballs. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4181 on: January 10, 2014, 07:46:42 AM »
Well, I was not a Maiden fan at all until this year, so I definitely didn't have any extreme anti-Blaze or pro-Bruce bias going on.  All I can say is I just don't like his voice from anything I have heard.  If you like it, great.  But it's definitely not for everyone.  That said, the couple of Blaze-era tunes that I have heard performed live with Bruce have sounded great.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #4182 on: January 10, 2014, 10:28:25 AM »
That said, the couple of Blaze-era tunes that I have heard performed live with Bruce have sounded great.

:metal The Rock In Rio version of Sign Of The Cross is my favorite song by them.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4183 on: January 10, 2014, 10:40:48 AM »
That said, the couple of Blaze-era tunes that I have heard performed live with Bruce have sounded great.

:metal The Rock In Rio version of Sign Of The Cross is my favorite song by them.

I like it a lot, too.  The live version of The Clansman is also top 10, possibly top 5, for me (EDIT:  #8 in my top 25 ranking I did a little while back:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36365.msg1592859#msg1592859).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:10:57 AM by bosk1 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4184 on: January 10, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »
Nothing will beat the studio version of SOTC IMO.  Bruce's live version is great though.  More Blaze songs need to come out on tour.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4185 on: January 10, 2014, 04:54:57 PM »
Bruce's SOTC and Clansman are excellent, but I prefer Blaze's Lord of the Flies, Man on the Edge, and Futureal over Bruce.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #4186 on: January 10, 2014, 08:24:09 PM »

I always dug the rawness of the X Factor's production.  Plus Nicko's toms sound amazeaballs.
The production is one of the reasons I don't care for TXF. Everything just sounds really thin and weak.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4187 on: January 11, 2014, 12:55:17 AM »
Sign of The Cross is a really great song. I love the feeling and somberness of it.

I used to be a huge fan of Blaze's band he formed after Maiden. They were BLAZE. I was in love with every song on Silicon Messiah. And Tenth Dimension was just as solid. I have Blood&Belief, but I don't like it nearly as much as the previous 2. I'm disappointed that he dropped the bandname "BLAZE", because it sounded like it was band. Now it's just called Blaze Bailey. But i guess it was a fair move, as there are no more original musicians left in his band apart from himself.

Silicon Messiah was just soooo fuckin good.   

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4188 on: January 11, 2014, 12:00:38 PM »
I agree.  Silicon Messiah and Tenth Dimension are absolutely amazing.  I thought his releases after that have been a bit of a step down.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4189 on: January 11, 2014, 12:05:29 PM »
I agree.  Silicon Messiah and Tenth Dimension are absolutely amazing.  I thought his releases after that have been a bit of a step down.

Agree. His live album is pretty good too.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4190 on: January 11, 2014, 10:40:26 PM »

Yea, definately. If I'm correct, the Silicon Messiah/10th Dimension band member started leaveing after 10thDimension. Blood & Belief lacks variety. It's very heavy, and very dark. Blaze lays his heart out on that record, very deep lyrics. But the music lacks an original sound or feeling, whereas the previous 2 did not lack that.

I was a huge fan of BLAZE around the time of Silicon Messiah and 10th dimension. I just couldn't get his records anywhere! I was young and didn't have a credit card to order online, and couldn't ask a family member since this was when online purchasing was still a stranger to my family :sadpanda: Of course by the time i found B&B in a store and bought it, i was already out of this BLAZE phase. Bought it anyways but didn't listen to it really until recently. I hear one of his newer records is really good though. Is it Promise & Terror, if that's even the title? Not sure, but one of the more recent 'Blaze Bayley' releases is apparently one of his best.

From what i'v seen of him recently, goddamn does he look bad. Very out of shape. The years have not been good to him. Well, in looks. But who am i to say....well, i am a very sexy man....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4191 on: January 12, 2014, 03:23:09 AM »
The first 3 Blaze records are phenominal.  Unfortunately, the excellent musicians that he was working with one by one dropped out.  The guitar duo of Steve Wray and John Slater was special and Jeff Singer and Rob Naylor on the rhythm section sealed the deal.  I'm guessing money was the issue for the members dropping out, as he dropped his entire next band due to the increasing costs and opted to get nowbody's who would play for peanuts. 

A shame that his live band performances have suffered.  The Alive in Poland DVD is dreadful and I could get up and play with the band better without knowing the songs.  The Man Who Would Not Die though, could be my fav Blaze record.  Amazing songs with raw emotion, power and seriously heavy as fuck.  Check it out if you haven't.  Promise and Terror was close behind with again a dark atmosphere, heavy and very fast.  The last one was okay but was the weakest Blaze album by far.  The production hurt it as I quite liked the rawness of the songs on there. 

The new compilation is neat too, I enjoyed that and it was a great collection of Blaze tracks with linear notes about the songs from the man himself.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4192 on: January 12, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »
I have the Alive in Poland DVD and can agree to what you say. The performance is really bad specifically the drumming. I also think Blaze must have been drunk or on some drugs because he acts really crazy on stage and says a lot of crazy stuff. Its actually pretty amazing. His other DvD, he acts much more normal.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #4193 on: January 12, 2014, 10:00:07 AM »
Add me to the list of people who found TFF underwhelming.
Same here.  The only Maiden album I bought that I thereafter traded in at a used CD store.  Just really didn't do it for me. :tdwn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4194 on: January 13, 2014, 03:48:29 AM »
This is both funny as hell and fucking incredible at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IyhtPOyEx0o

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4195 on: January 13, 2014, 03:58:31 AM »
My God, the chord progression that Thomas pulls off at the beginning of every verse gives me chills. This was just wonderful.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4196 on: January 13, 2014, 04:00:02 AM »
Yeah, that was the highlight for me too.  Blaze sounds strong too.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4197 on: January 13, 2014, 06:26:16 AM »
Oh thats that Nylon Maiden guy!  I laughed when I first saw one of his videos but his playing is incredible!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4198 on: January 13, 2014, 10:07:34 AM »
Blaze with his own band is pretty killer.  Blaze in Iron Maiden just wasn't a good fit.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4199 on: January 13, 2014, 01:26:13 PM »
There's some acoustic thing Blaze is doing with a popular guitarist. Not sure if it's a series of shows or an album or whatever.

There's something I'v been wondering that i thought while listening to Maiden the other day. It's cool to pay attention to the guitar parts, since there are 3 guitarists. I love the sound they've had ever since they had a trio.

My question has to do with bands that only have one guitarist, and one bassist. Like Dream Theater. I know they're highly technical. Sometimes when i listen to petrucci playing on a song, i can hear him riffing, or playing a solo. A lot of times though, while he's doing a solo or whatever, it still sounds like there's guitar playing behind it. It's sounds to full, like there's another rhythm guitarist playing. Seems like it's more then just bass. Distorted bass? idk about playing or anything so maybe this is a dumb question.

Or Tool. If i listen specifically to Adam Jones' parts, often it sounds like there another guitarist underneath. I hear this a lot with bands with one guitarist. I know with Nevermore Jeff Loomis wrote and played the 2 guitar tracks on each song, then hired another guitarist to tour with them. But Dream Theater, Tool, other bands like these, they don't do that. They only have one guitarist. Masterplan is another band i notice this with.

Can someone explain this to me? I'd appreciate it very much :)