Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436098 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #4095 on: January 03, 2014, 04:18:09 AM »
TXF = Best Maiden album
Jugulator = Best Priest album

In my opinion of course!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:22:17 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4096 on: January 03, 2014, 06:38:40 AM »
TXF = Best Maiden album

You cannot be serious.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4097 on: January 03, 2014, 06:40:29 AM »
TXF = Best Maiden album

You cannot be serious.

Sadly, he is.   :mehlin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4098 on: January 03, 2014, 06:46:13 AM »
 Ok, so a lame song like 02 A.M. is more significant to him than, say, Powerslave?  :facepalm:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4099 on: January 03, 2014, 06:49:12 AM »
Ok, so a lame song like 02 A.M. is more significant to him than, say, Powerslave?  :facepalm:

That's why everyone has their own individual tastes.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4100 on: January 03, 2014, 08:17:09 AM »
He didn't say anything of the sort - where did you get that from?

Anyway, I see absolutely no problem with him liking certain albums more than others. I've never understood why anyone would be bothered or confused by that. We all have different tastes.

For example, I appear to be the only person who really likes Virtual XI. I don't find TXF very exciting though, apart from a couple of really good songs.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #4101 on: January 03, 2014, 08:59:29 AM »
While people are entitled to opinions...yeah, I can't see me saying that without being on sizable amounts of crack. TXF and Jugulator are fucking awful.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4102 on: January 03, 2014, 01:09:40 PM »
While people are entitled to opinions...yeah, I can't see me saying that without being on sizable amounts of crack. VXI and Demolition are fucking awful.  :rollin

FTFY 

TXF and Jugulator are amazing albums.

EDIT: I'll go even a step further and say both of those albums contain a top 5 all time tracks from both bands.   The Sign of the Cross on TXF and Cathedral Spires on Jugulator.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #4103 on: January 03, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »

Hey, nothing wrong with a bit of 2AM. :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4104 on: January 03, 2014, 02:53:29 PM »
TXF = Best Maiden album

You cannot be serious.

Deadly.

What the fuck man?  I have never said any of the sorts.  In fact, no, Powerslave is the better song.

If you take the time and search for the Iron Maiden top 25 thread that a few of us did a while back, you would see that there is only 2 songs from the Blaze era, being from TXF.  Everything else was from Bruce.  What I am saying is, Bruce has done more classic and entertaining songs, but from an album point of view, TXF feels the most consistent, honest, and perfect collection of songs from the band.  There is no low point for me, where as every other album has a point or two where the quality dips.  TXF maintains an epic level from start to finish.  The other album that comes close is Powerslave.  TXF is my number one album of all time, and Powerslave was I think number four.

So please, don't assume any of my opinions and think before you post.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4105 on: January 03, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »
While people are entitled to opinions...yeah, I can't see me saying that without being on sizable amounts of crack. TXF and Jugulator are fucking awful.  :rollin

No, they are not awful, in your opinion they are awful.  IMO, they are brilliant.

/discussion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4106 on: January 03, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »
Can we all just agree that Smells Like Teen Spirit is the greatest song of all time and has influenced both Iron Maiden and Judas Priest?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4107 on: January 04, 2014, 02:45:23 AM »
 I just canīt see how a chorus like "Fortunes of WOOOOR...fortunes of WOOOR...fortunes of WOOOR...no pain anymore. Fortunes of WOOOOOOOOOR" keeps up the classic level you mentioned. For me there are two or three songs maximum in The X Factor that are on par with what the band has made with Bruce or Paul: Sign of the Cross, Man on the Edge and maybe Lord of the Flies. But like you said, itīs a matter of opinion.

I think it makes a difference if you knew the band before the 90īs...if thatīs the case, thereīs a harder chance that youīll find the Blaze era at least half decent.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #4108 on: January 04, 2014, 09:55:30 AM »

No, they are not awful, in your opinion they are awful.  IMO, they are brilliant.

/discussion

I said that I couldn't see myself saying that without being on crack because I think they're awful personally, nor can I understand someone listening to every album by Iron Maiden and Judas Priest and saying those are their two best albums. And everytime you mention it and someone says "say what?", you act like your opinion IS more important.  You can't tell me because you think they're brilliant my opinion is less valid, which is what you just did.

You like em, I think they suck and can't see how someone would think they're better than Powerslave or Screaming For Vengeance. Both opinions are valid.

/discussion.

The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4109 on: January 04, 2014, 09:56:38 AM »
I just canīt see how a chorus like "Fortunes of WOOOOR...fortunes of WOOOR...fortunes of WOOOR...no pain anymore. Fortunes of WOOOOOOOOOR" keeps up the classic level you mentioned. For me there are two or three songs maximum in The X Factor that are on par with what the band has made with Bruce or Paul: Sign of the Cross, Man on the Edge and maybe Lord of the Flies. But like you said, itīs a matter of opinion.

I think it makes a difference if you knew the band before the 90īs...if thatīs the case, thereīs a harder chance that youīll find the Blaze era at least half decent.

I don't think you wanna go there.   Because I could easily list a dozen or more Bruce era songs with VERY similar (and even worse) choruses.   The aforementioned Blood Brothers leaps immediately to mind....but there are many many more.

I still like newer Maiden....but the choruses are the #1 reason that I will never like the new stuff as well as the old material.      There is not a single song on Powerslave (with the possible exception of Back in the Villiage) that doesn't have some sort of variation in the chorus.   

If Aces High were written by the Maiden of today, Bruce wouldn't be singing the "Run, live to fly, fly to live" parts.   He would just sing Aces High over and over and over and over and over again. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4110 on: January 04, 2014, 10:40:50 AM »
I see your point, jammindude. And yeah, whatīs the deal with all the repeated choruses anyway? One that particularl bugs me is "I Only Dream in black and white...I only dream cause Iīm alive" x 1000...the one down side of an otherwise great song.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4111 on: January 04, 2014, 12:44:21 PM »
I see your point, jammindude. And yeah, whatīs the deal with all the repeated choruses anyway? One that particularl bugs me is "I Only Dream in black and white...I only dream cause Iīm alive" x 1000...the one down side of an otherwise great song.

I like that chorus a lot.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4112 on: January 04, 2014, 02:40:34 PM »
I still like newer Maiden....but the choruses are the #1 reason that I will never like the new stuff as well as the old material.      There is not a single song on Powerslave (with the possible exception of Back in the Villiage) that doesn't have some sort of variation in the chorus.   

If Aces High were written by the Maiden of today, Bruce wouldn't be singing the "Run, live to fly, fly to live" parts.   He would just sing Aces High over and over and over and over and over again.

Ok, maybe songs like Blood Brothers, The Wicker Man, Brave New World rely too much on repeating themselves over and over again in the chorus.

For me, in Starblind, Bruce said an awful mouthful in the chorus.  Hell, he said a mouthful in the whole song, itself.  Maybe, that's why they did not play it in the Final Frontier tour.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4113 on: January 04, 2014, 04:20:59 PM »
I've heard some people didn't like Satellite 15....I thought it was one of the most original things IM had done since TXF.    It's almost a disappointment when the title track kicks in.   :-\   

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #4114 on: January 05, 2014, 12:14:44 AM »
He didn't say anything of the sort - where did you get that from?

Anyway, I see absolutely no problem with him liking certain albums more than others. I've never understood why anyone would be bothered or confused by that. We all have different tastes.

For example, I appear to be the only person who really likes Virtual XI. I don't find TXF very exciting though, apart from a couple of really good songs.

I like TXF and Virtual XI, don't think they're so terrible as people say...Also, i prefer them over NPftD and FotD.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4115 on: January 05, 2014, 03:16:19 AM »

/discussion

I said that I couldn't see myself saying that without being on crack because I think they're awful personally, nor can I understand someone listening to every album by Iron Maiden and Judas Priest and saying those are their two best albums. And everytime you mention it and someone says "say what?", you act like your opinion IS more important.  You can't tell me because you think they're brilliant my opinion is less valid, which is what you just did.

You like em, I think they suck and can't see how someone would think they're better than Powerslave or Screaming For Vengeance. Both opinions are valid.

/discussion.

Bullshit.  I have never acted like that, and value everyone's opinions equally.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:21:56 AM by wolfking »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4116 on: January 05, 2014, 03:21:38 AM »

I don't think you wanna go there.   Because I could easily list a dozen or more Bruce era songs with VERY similar (and even worse) choruses.   The aforementioned Blood Brothers leaps immediately to mind....but there are many many more.

Well said, especially the bolded part, you're spot on.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4117 on: January 05, 2014, 03:36:08 AM »
I've heard some people didn't like Satellite 15....I thought it was one of the most original things IM had done since TXF.    It's almost a disappointment when the title track kicks in.  :-\
Hi! I'm one of those people.  :biggrin:

IMO it's one of their worst intros they have done live.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4118 on: January 05, 2014, 03:41:45 AM »
I appreciated the originality of it, and thought it was a ballsy thing to do, but all in all, I'm not a huge fan of it either.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4119 on: January 05, 2014, 05:35:17 AM »
Maiden's typical formula does involve those repeated chorus', that are almost without exception, annoying as shit.  Thankfully, the music and the verses compensate enough for me to tolerate the chorus'.  To be fair, classic-era Maiden has its fair share of this as well - Children of the Damned, Seventh Son, Caught Somewhere in Time, Heaven Can Wait ...  It really started getting bad with SiT and SS0aSS.  Now they can't write any differently... it's pretty much their signature.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #4120 on: January 05, 2014, 09:09:24 AM »
Their choruses have gotten better since DoD. Granted they're usually not mind-blowingly awesome or anything, but they seem to have toned down some of the mindless repetition.

There's nothing near as bad as Fortunes of War, Angel and the Gambler, Blood Brothers or No More Lies on TFF and AMoLaD, IMO.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4121 on: January 05, 2014, 10:50:16 AM »
Maiden's typical formula does involve those repeated chorus', that are almost without exception, annoying as shit.  Thankfully, the music and the verses compensate enough for me to tolerate the chorus'.  To be fair, classic-era Maiden has its fair share of this as well - Children of the Damned, Seventh Son, Caught Somewhere in Time, Heaven Can Wait ...  It really started getting bad with SiT and SS0aSS.  Now they can't write any differently... it's pretty much their signature.

Children of the Damned I'll give you.   But when I say "classic era" (and I know some people will disagree), I'm speaking of S/T thru Powerslave.     If there was a song like Children of the Damned, it was the lone example on the album.    With Somewhere In Time, there was suddenly 3 songs like that....and then it just seemed to get worse after that moving forward.

It just feels like lazy chorus writing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4122 on: January 05, 2014, 10:53:03 AM »
Their choruses have gotten better since DoD. Granted they're usually not mind-blowingly awesome or anything, but they seem to have toned down some of the mindless repetition.

There's nothing near as bad as Fortunes of War, Angel and the Gambler, Blood Brothers or No More Lies on TFF and AMoLaD, IMO.

What makes Blood Brothers any different than the other songs on the album?

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #4123 on: January 05, 2014, 11:08:20 AM »

What makes Blood Brothers any different than the other songs on the album?
Because it's the go to example for mindless, repetitive choruses. There are other songs that are just as bad, it was just the one I chose to single out.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4124 on: January 05, 2014, 11:19:40 AM »

Children of the Damned I'll give you.   But when I say "classic era" (and I know some people will disagree), I'm speaking of S/T thru Powerslave.     If there was a song like Children of the Damned, it was the lone example on the album.    With Somewhere In Time, there was suddenly 3 songs like that....and then it just seemed to get worse after that moving forward.

It just feels like lazy chorus writing.
I never thought it was laziness. I believe Arry just loves anthems, and repetitive choruses are the easiest way to get 18k people singing along. That's why we're subjected to Fear of the Dark every damn time they play (even on the legacy tours).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4125 on: January 05, 2014, 11:29:59 AM »
But even Fear of the Dark has variance to the chorus!   "I have a constant fear that something's always near."  Gives it at least a BIT of change up.

I'm just glad they don't sing it..

"Fear of the dark
Fear of the daaaark
Fear of the dark, fear of the dark, fear of the dark....."

Because there are many IM songs that are THAT bad.

And you don't have to sing the title over and over again to have an anthem.     Even if you just have two or three lines instead of just one...people will sing along.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4126 on: January 05, 2014, 12:29:26 PM »
I understand that the songs are all very simple and maybe "boring" with regards to the chorus but every song listed in these posts is awesome IMO so the whole idea of IM write bad songs or they just aren't good is complete doo too. Other than the angle and the gambler. That songs suffers from many things besides a repetitive chorus.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4127 on: January 05, 2014, 12:40:44 PM »
Sometimes Lightning

STRIKES TWICE

Sometimes Lightning

STRIKES TWICE

Sometimes Lightning

STRIKES TWICE

Sometimes Lightning

STRIKES TWICE

SiT and SSOASS's repetitive choruses weren't as annoying as the newer stuff. BNW is especially repetitive, but still not as annoying as anything after, or the 90s with Blaze.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #4128 on: January 05, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
Don't look to, don't look to, don't look to the eyes of a stranger

Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4129 on: January 05, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »

..don't look to, don't look to, don't look to, don't look to....

(lather, rinse, repeat.....a thousand times!!!)

That song is the perfect example.   I love the song, I honestly REALLY think that is a fantastic song.   But by the time they repeat that for the hundredth time, I want to smash my stereo.   

AC/DC has more variation to their choruses than some Iron Maiden songs do.