Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436507 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3990 on: June 17, 2013, 06:14:41 AM »
OMG, Bruce is great here. Can't wait to see them on July 31st for first time :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline philmcson

« Reply #3991 on: June 17, 2013, 09:04:41 AM »

Will join you on that gig to see them for the fifth time! The fourth is gonna happen on Friday in Austria  :metal

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3992 on: June 17, 2013, 09:30:05 AM »

Will join you on that gig to see them for the fifth time! The fourth is gonna happen on Friday in Austria  :metal
I'm jealous. Seerock Festival lineup is sick ;)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3993 on: June 17, 2013, 10:26:28 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3994 on: June 18, 2013, 11:00:48 AM »
The highlights for me were 'Phantom of the Opera' and 'Seventh Son'. I couldn't see much of the band during 'Phantom' because of relentless headbanging and floods of (manly) tears. I was a gibbering wreck by the end of that one. 'Seventh Son' was the type of performance that the word 'epic' was invented for. I just wish they'd done 'Hallowed', and, more to the point, 'Infinite Dreams'. I would love to see them play that one live.

Dave was having a seriously good night. Normally, Adrian is my favourite of the three to listen to, but Dave won it this time. Every time he took a solo, he melted our heads effortlessly. In the crowd, complete strangers were turning to each other saying: "What the F******************?"

Something strange happened during 'Wasted Years': the main riff was played slower than usual, but the rest of the song seemed to go back up to the usual tempo. Adrian didn't repeat the riff the usual number of times during the lead up to his solo, instead he played a series of harmonics. Bruce's repeated plugging of the Maiden ale had its best example in one chorus where he told us not to waste our time thinking about "those wasted Trooper beers".

^^ From Maidenfans.com

Mmmmmmmm . . . Phantom of the Opera.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3995 on: July 04, 2013, 09:07:10 AM »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #3996 on: July 10, 2013, 03:49:09 PM »
I've been in a Maiden mood today, and the thought occurred to me that we're probably a little over a year away from the next (and most likely final) Iron Maiden album.

So I thought about what sort of direction the band will most likely take on the next album and what sort of influence the Maiden England tour will probably have on them when they're writing the new songs (much like how the Somewhere Back In Time tour appears to have influenced the band while making The Final Frontier) and also the idea of who would be a great replacement for Kevin Shirley as the producer on the next album. Granted, the latter is probably not going to happen, but hey I can dream. :biggrin:

- Influence: At this point, I sincerely doubt we'll see the band regress from the progressive metal/rock direction they've developed into. On top of that, they've played a lot of SSoaSS on this tour (for obvious reasons). However, they also played a couple of early 90's songs and some of the earlier Maiden material too (such as Phantom). I have a feeling it'll be as musically 'colorful' as TFF was, but perhaps a bit more raw sounding or simply heavier/darker.

- If They Miraculously Replace Shirley: Get Alan Parsons or someone of his caliber. Please. Since this will probably be the last Maiden album, I'd like for it have a far better sounding production than the likes of DoD or TFF. With the direction I think they'll probably go, they need to ditch the 'live in studio' sound and go for top notch production.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3997 on: July 10, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »
Think I'll be seeing these guys in Raleigh come September.  Now to pray they play Hallowed Be Thy Name instead of Fear of the Dark...

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #3998 on: July 11, 2013, 12:50:13 AM »
Think I'll be seeing these guys in Raleigh come September.  Now to pray they play Hallowed Be Thy Name instead of Fear of the Dark...

I'll be at that show! :tup And yeah, I'd love for them NOT to play Fear of the Dark at that show. I'd take Infinite Dreams or Hallowed though. :metal They better keep Phantom and Seventh Son though.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #3999 on: July 11, 2013, 04:43:57 AM »
I saw them play both Fear of the Dark AND Hallowed be Thy Name  ;D

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4000 on: July 11, 2013, 04:57:22 AM »
Apparently they played here in Sweden yesterday (Malmö). They'll be back this weekend.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4001 on: July 11, 2013, 05:56:49 AM »
I wouldn't be hopeful on any set list changes.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4002 on: July 11, 2013, 03:44:28 PM »
Apparently they played here in Sweden yesterday (Malmö). They'll be back this weekend.
You got that right!  :biggrin:

It was an awesome show last night. Me and 3 friends devoured 28 trooper beers before the show so we were in a good mood to say the least.  :lol I loved the setlist even though it was nothing to surprising. They played ATSS, The Prisoner, Phantom of the Opera and SSoaSS which made it all worth while for me.

The sound was a bit bad though but being it was an outdoor venue I didn't expect to much of it. I love that some pointed out before that Murray was in top form because I totally agree, can't point exactly what it was but he was on fire both in spirit and his guitar play. The whole band played with such energy that it felt like their first show of the tour and that to me shows the dedication this band have in bringing the best show possible for their fans. Goddamn Nicko is 61 years old and he plays like never before.

I must say there was something with Bruce, he was surprisingly calm but still with alot of energy. Can't really explain what it was....I guess it's just his pro stage persona that shines through. I mean his confidence on stage can crack walls and I mean that in a good way.  :) He did though mess up some vocal passages, the verse in Phantom of the opera was all over the place rythmically.

They had the best stage set and backdrops I have ever seen by the band!!

Sabaton did a good job pumping up the crowd before. Overall it was a very good show and any Maiden fan should not miss this tour because I have a hunch this may be one of the last reunion of a classic tour they will do (Don't ask me why) but I can't help wondering how long they will have the energy to keep doing this....Of course I hope i'm wrong though!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 04:12:55 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4003 on: July 11, 2013, 04:08:59 PM »
Nice recap, man. Cool pics.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4004 on: July 11, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »
Nice recap, man. Cool pics.
Thx!  :tup I took alot of pics but most of them became to blurry and bad unfortunately.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4005 on: July 11, 2013, 08:52:41 PM »
That's a great show of the pyros. Judging by Eddie id say run to the hills?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4006 on: July 12, 2013, 03:40:37 AM »
That's a great show of the pyros. Judging by Eddie id say run to the hills?
:tup

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4007 on: July 30, 2013, 12:28:38 PM »
Saw them in Prague last night, they were amazing as always. We spent a sleepless night traveling in a van, were all damn too tired and hungry, plus it was raining so bad the entire show and the wind was horrible as well, but nothing could spoil my enjoyment.

Also, Seventh son of a seventh son is the best live Maiden song I've ever experienced.  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4008 on: July 30, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »
Also, Seventh son of a seventh son is the best live Maiden song I've ever experienced.  :metal
Amen to that. I loved the backdrop and the stage set. They way Bruce commanded those fires to burn totally set the mood for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4009 on: July 30, 2013, 01:24:28 PM »
Glad you could make it, M.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4010 on: August 02, 2013, 02:53:39 PM »
Just picked up Seventh Son.  Found a used copy that is in like-new condition.  :tup  I haven't really liked the songs I've heard live versions of all that much, other than TETMD, but still a cool find.  We'll see how I feel it holds up after listening to the whole thing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4011 on: August 02, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Just picked up Seventh Son.  Found a used copy that is in like-new condition.  :tup  I haven't really liked the songs I've heard live versions of all that much, other than TETMD, but still a cool find.  We'll see how I feel it holds up after listening to the whole thing.

Nice! Look forward to your thoughts.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4012 on: August 02, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »
Just had a strange moment when Infinite Dreams started and I couldn't figure out how The Clansman accidentally ended up on this album.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #4013 on: August 02, 2013, 04:52:19 PM »
About a month away now from my first (and hopefully not last) Iron Maiden concert! Pretty psyched! :tup Hope Seventh Son is still in the setlist when I get to see 'em. Such a killer song. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #4014 on: August 03, 2013, 04:04:16 AM »
Just had a strange moment when Infinite Dreams started and I couldn't figure out how The Clansman accidentally ended up on this album.  :lol

Haha! :D
Infinite Dreams is my favorite Maiden song (and Maiden is my favorite band)!  :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4015 on: August 03, 2013, 04:14:21 AM »

Haha! :D
Infinite Dreams is my favorite Maiden song (and Maiden is my favorite band)!  :metal

I hope you're participating in my Iron Maiden survivor. We're in the finals now:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=38363.0

Infinite Dreams didn't make it to the finals though.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #4016 on: August 03, 2013, 07:09:00 AM »
IMO, Seventh Son is Iron Maiden at their absolute peak. That whole album is amazing, front to back.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #4017 on: August 03, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »
IMO, Seventh Son is Iron Maiden at their absolute peak. That whole album is amazing, front to back.

For me it's Piece of Mind/Powerslave. On SSOASS is terrible Can I Play With Madness? and the title track is so bombastic that it goes over-the-top at some places and becomes almost humorous.

The Prophecy/The Clairvoyant, however, is one of their best one-two punches.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4018 on: August 03, 2013, 12:31:21 PM »

My favorite Iron Maiden album too.  Absolutely incredible!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4019 on: August 03, 2013, 12:41:48 PM »
I am so happy to see SSoaSS get so much recognition now. 

Where (and when) I was growing up...Iron Maiden's popularity absolutely *fell off the table* after Somewhere in Time.   I only knew one other guy who liked SSoaSS when it came out, and he said he was appalled when he went to the show because of how empty the stadium was.   Just four years prior, they had easily sold out the same area within minutes...and you couldn't sell your soul to get a ticket.   In 1988...they were practically giving them away trying to fill up half of the arena.  (they had to put sheets over the other half to save money on renting the stadium)   It really seemed like IM was heading downhill...and it was so sad because the album was so strong.   

To see it so high on everyone's list these days feels like redemption.  :tup
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4020 on: August 03, 2013, 12:52:04 PM »
I am absolutely stunned that the album was so unsuccessful back when it came out, it's so fantastic that I thought people hailed it as a classic from the day one.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4021 on: August 03, 2013, 01:13:19 PM »
Must have been the backlash with the keyboard and synth which started with Somewhere in Time and Priest's Turbo.  Probably turned off alot of metalheads.  That would be my guess.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4022 on: August 03, 2013, 01:26:50 PM »
I am absolutely stunned that the album was so unsuccessful back when it came out, it's so fantastic that I thought people hailed it as a classic from the day one.

I believe in their native UK it was a completely different story.   There was just a huge "synth/no-synth" war going on in the states at the time.   There were a few of us who were more open minded to everything, but we were in the vast minority.   

Even today, the aftershocks of this divide are felt.   Every time I hear someone (usually just slightly older than me) talk about how much they used to be such a HUGE Rush fan.....until Signals....and then they lost interest and never listened to Rush after that....I get sad.     But I hear it *A LOT*.     This is the same crowd that lost interest in IM from the opening chords of Somewhere in Time.

EDIT: jjrock nailed it.   JP's Turbo was another big one.   Same thing.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4023 on: August 03, 2013, 01:30:07 PM »
 I don't remember it not being successful. I saw them twice on that tour and both times the arena was pretty much full in two geographically similar cities.

I believe in their native UK it was a completely different story.   There was just a huge "synth/no-synth" war going on in the states at the time.   There were a few of us who were more open minded to everything, but we were in the vast minority.   

Even today, the aftershocks of this divide are felt.   Every time I hear someone (usually just slightly older than me) talk about how much they used to be such a HUGE Rush fan.....until Signals....and then they lost interest and never listened to Rush after that....I get sad.     But I hear it *A LOT*.     This is the same crowd that lost interest in IM from the opening chords of Somewhere in Time.

EDIT: jjrock nailed it.   JP's Turbo was another big one.   Same thing.   

That is me regarding Rush.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #4024 on: August 05, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »
Saw IM at the O2 last night - brilliant, Bruce especially was on top form.  :metal :metal

But WHAT THE F*CK IS THIS F*CKING THING with watching gigs through your cell-phone? Do people only think something is real if they're watching it on a 1" screen? Put the damn things down - there's people behind you, don'tcha know.  :censored
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."