Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436320 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3885 on: April 24, 2013, 08:58:05 AM »
I want someone with better hearing than Steve to control the sound production.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3886 on: April 24, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »
Honestly, I always thought the hearing remarks were way out of line until I heard British Lion. One of the first thing I thought when listening to it was “where are the highs?”. And yeah, it sounds like it could have been produced by someone who, honestly, has lost a bit of their hearing.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #3887 on: April 24, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »
Bruce is NOT quoted as saying that.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=189062

Them saying "apparently told" is not nearly the same thing as a direct quote from Bruce, hence my skepticism.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3888 on: April 25, 2013, 12:37:04 AM »
Hmmph, well it's not very hard to make a better record than The Final Frontier.

GET OUT OF MY THREAD!

:emo:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3889 on: April 25, 2013, 03:20:45 AM »
^Well, that settles that.

Poll time!  What do you want from Maiden '14?  More of the same?  Something completely different?

I want them to spend the time to make a sonically excellent album. Can't remember the last time a Maiden album sounded good. No more of this live sounding, muddy rubbish. The songwriting will take care of itself. Oh, and write songs that are in your singer's range too.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3890 on: April 25, 2013, 03:37:15 AM »

Poll time!  What do you want from Maiden '14?  More of the same?  Something completely different?

I want them to spend the time to make a sonically excellent album. Can't remember the last time a Maiden album sounded good. No more of this live sounding, muddy rubbish. The songwriting will take care of itself. Oh, and write songs that are in your singer's range too.
A Matter of life and death. Now that was a great sounding album.  :metal

I'd like a good record. Hopefully as good as The Final Frontier, although I wouldn't mind better production obviously. But honestly, I wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't deliver the goods on the new album, they've already released some of the best music ever made, so I don't expect them to top themselves or whatever. But I'm still really looking forward to it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3891 on: April 25, 2013, 04:01:41 AM »

Pretty much all of this.  Shirley needs to go.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #3892 on: April 25, 2013, 04:47:46 AM »

I have to agree with Mladen here and say that the live-sounding production actually worked really well with AMOLAD. I'd wager that it's the only Iron Maiden album to be played in its entirety in a live setting for that reason, among others. The live sound actually complements the darker and grittier tone of those songs, whereas that production style really has a negative effect on the more spacial vibe of TFF.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3893 on: April 25, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3894 on: April 27, 2013, 11:53:26 AM »

I'd like them to write a song that doesn't have an acoustic intro, heavy middle and acoustic outro.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3895 on: April 29, 2013, 03:34:59 AM »
lol wut

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=189308

According to The Local, an elderly Swedish couple who took revenge on their noisy neighbors by booming IRON MAIDEN at top volume face a charge of harassment.

A 71-year-old woman and her 81-year-old husband responded to a "whistling sound" coming from their neighbor's property by placing a music system on the balcony, pointed at the neighbor, and blasting IRON MAIDEN's "Afraid To Shoot Strangers". They also positioned another music system in the cellar directed towards the neighbor's bedroom wall.

The dispute last throughout the winter, with the pensioners playing music from their terraced house in the Stockholm area until as late as 4 a.m., Aftonbladet reported.

"The harassment has just carried on, I am completely broken down. How can I keep living here," the neighbor said in police interviews.

The woman told police that she was forced to take sleeping pills in order to overcome the noise.

"We wanted to give them a taste of their own medicine," her husband said.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3896 on: April 29, 2013, 03:42:54 AM »
Yea  :lol I posted that in the funny thread. It's pretty lol worthy!  :lol

Of all the Maiden songs, that song choice made me laugh even more!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3897 on: April 29, 2013, 03:58:34 AM »
My friend has been doing pretty much the same thing since he got a new stereo.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3898 on: May 16, 2013, 03:48:29 PM »
Major score in the "used" section at the local musick shoppe today!  Picked up Brave New World, Dance of Death, and A Matter of Life and Death today for under $20 total.  :birch: 

So...which one do I listen to first?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3899 on: May 16, 2013, 03:50:05 PM »
Major score in the "used" section at the local musick shoppe today!  Picked up Brave New World, Dance of Death, and A Matter of Life and Death today for under $20 total.  :birch: 

Honestly, Bosk, I would go in the order that they were released.

And yes, that's a hell of a score!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3900 on: May 16, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »
Yea, great find, and might as well just go in order although AMoLaD is the best.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3901 on: May 16, 2013, 03:54:08 PM »

wow, people are stupid basically giving these albums away.  As the boys said, BNW, then DOD, then AMOLAD.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3902 on: May 16, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »

Yeah, that was going to be the plan unless someone strongly suggested otherwise.  The only minor issue I have with starting with BNW is that I know most of the sogs already from Rock in Rio.  But that's okay.

And yes, that's a hell of a score!

Totally.  I was tempted to pick up Killers as well, but it was $13.99 new, and I've seen it at Best Buy for $9.99.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3903 on: May 16, 2013, 03:58:57 PM »
Nothing wrong with Killers, but its quite different than the three you got, those all go together in a way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3904 on: May 16, 2013, 04:21:32 PM »

Yeah, that was going to be the plan unless someone strongly suggested otherwise.  The only minor issue I have with starting with BNW is that I know most of the sogs already from Rock in Rio.  But that's okay.

Well skip the ones you know.. Be sure to zero in on The Thin Line Between Love And Hate. The last 4+ minutes are some of the most incredible in their catalog. I think you're in for a treat.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3905 on: May 16, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »
I think Wicker Man is one of the best lead off tracks ever, period!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3906 on: May 16, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »
Be sure to zero in on The Thin Line Between Love And Hate. The last 4+ minutes are some of the most incredible in their catalog.
:tup

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3907 on: May 16, 2013, 04:53:53 PM »
I think Wicker Man is one of the best lead off tracks ever, period!

I like it, but I wouldn't consider it great. 

I will say that so far, while I like Rock In Rio a lot, I prefer the studio version of Ghost of the Navigator and The Mercenary.  I'm in the middle of Dream of Mirrors right now.  So far, sounds cool, but this is one where I think I prefer the live version.  After this song, it's all unexplored territory of new music (a brave new world, as it were) since I haven't heard the remaining tracks before.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3908 on: May 16, 2013, 05:06:20 PM »
You're right about Ghost. I find it muddy on RiR. I also agree with you on the Live version of Dream. Especially on the DVD under the open sky.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3909 on: May 16, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »
The RiR version of a lot songs are better than thier album versions

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3910 on: May 16, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »
DoD is my fave of the bunch... but only by a slim margin.  All 3 are da bomb!  Great haul.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3911 on: May 16, 2013, 07:26:54 PM »

Well skip the ones you know.. Be sure to zero in on The Thin Line Between Love And Hate. The last 4+ minutes are some of the most incredible in their catalog. I think you're in for a treat.

Wow.  Yeah, this is good stuff.  The heavy riff reminds me of the sinister riffing in Where the Wild Wind Blows after the solo, but more upbeat and major-chord-ish. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3912 on: May 17, 2013, 08:56:26 AM »
I so want to hate A Different World, but somehow just can't.  It's just too catchy.  Curse you, Iron Maiden, with your catchy riffs and your gigantic hooks!  :getoffmylawn:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3913 on: May 17, 2013, 09:04:36 AM »
Why would anyone want to hate Different world?  ;)

And yeah, A Matter of life and death is awesome all the way, on some days I think it's the best album ever made... There are about 30 others in the battle, though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3914 on: May 17, 2013, 09:08:44 AM »
Because...it's...just too happy sounding, which somehow seems wrong. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3915 on: May 17, 2013, 09:32:30 AM »
IIIIIIII'M ON MY WAAAY
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3916 on: May 17, 2013, 09:57:05 AM »

The best thing that could happen to Maiden at this point is for Steve to focus on writing and for a professional to handle sound on their albums and video on their DVDs. Most of Steven's audio work and all of his video editing have been between bad and abysmal.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3917 on: May 17, 2013, 09:59:27 AM »
IIIIIIII'M ON MY WAAAY
Now there's a happy sounding song! And equally as amazing.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3918 on: May 17, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »

The best thing that could happen to Maiden at this point is for Steve to focus on writing and for a professional to handle sound on their albums and video on their DVDs. Most of Steven's audio work and all of his video editing have been between bad and abysmal.

Well he has stopped with the video work so maybe there is hope.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #3919 on: May 20, 2013, 10:33:31 AM »

And your favorite of the 3 after initial listens is . . . . wait for it . . . . .