Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436415 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3815 on: April 03, 2013, 06:54:50 AM »
Empty house last night, so finally got a chance to watch most of En Vivo and Maiden England. En Vivo has better audio & video obviously, but I enjoyed Maiden England so much more. A young band in their prime playing an awesome setlist, without Janick distracting me. Killer performance.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3816 on: April 04, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »
Listening to Blood Brothers on Rock In Rio.  I just realized how repetitive the chorus is.  Anyone else feel that way?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3817 on: April 04, 2013, 11:42:09 AM »
Yeah, but it doesn't really bother me since it's a great song.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3818 on: April 04, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
Yeah. Repetitiveness is an often voiced criticism of reunion Maiden (which is kinda unfair in itself, because it was there earlier as well), but there are only very few cases where it really bothers me. Blood Brothers is an example, Brave New World and No More Lies are two others. Other than that, I like most of their choruses.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3819 on: April 04, 2013, 11:55:58 AM »
Yeah, but it doesn't really bother me since it's a great song.
This. And I'd say there are only a couple of songs where the repetitiveness really bothers me - No more lies is an example.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3820 on: April 04, 2013, 11:59:36 AM »
Are you guys saying this repetition thing is common in Maiden songs?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3821 on: April 04, 2013, 12:01:42 PM »
Hell yes it is!  Not that it's a problem, but repetition is definitely a factor in a great number of Maiden songs, often if they're Harris-composed.  That's often a complaint made by Maiden-haters.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3822 on: April 04, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #3823 on: April 04, 2013, 12:03:15 PM »
Hey bosk, what's your favorite 10-album DT run?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3824 on: April 04, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »
I guess the repetition thing has been there since day one (Running Free) but I think it's become more noticeable since the late 90s (The Angel And The Gambler).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3825 on: April 04, 2013, 12:10:57 PM »
Hey bosk, what's your favorite 10-album DT run?

Speaking to "10," Rime of the Ancient Mariner is not a top 10 Maiden song.  But if I were going to make a song out of that, the chorus would be:  "Rime of the Ancient Mariner is not a top 10 Maiden song" x 8.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3826 on: April 04, 2013, 12:50:11 PM »
It took a while for me to realize if you were serious.  :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3827 on: April 04, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
Listening to Blood Brothers on Rock In Rio.  I just realized how repetitive the chorus is.  Anyone else feel that way?

In all seriousnous, BB along with BNW and TM are my least favorites on the album due in some part to this issue.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3828 on: April 04, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »
I... usually skip Blood Brothers too.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3829 on: April 05, 2013, 06:28:00 AM »
Just finished watching Rock in Rio....almost can´t get over how bare the stage setup was...they made up for it with Bruce being able to swing from podium to podium and the Iron Maiden with the ´maidens´, but other than that it must be the least ´showy´ stage setup in their history accept for the beginning years.

Great setlist though, great crowd...sign of the cross really goes over great.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3830 on: April 05, 2013, 09:02:14 AM »
I don't know, TFF tour was a pretty bare set.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3831 on: April 05, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »

Huh?

They're standing on a freakin' space station!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3832 on: April 05, 2013, 11:48:57 AM »
Yeah, I didn't think the wicker stage for Rock In Rio was "bare" either.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3833 on: April 05, 2013, 01:26:23 PM »

Huh?

They're standing on a freakin' space station!

So? It looks cool because of the spacey background and the stars, but the set itself has nothing to it besides the normal set up and the two large props on the sides.  The RIR stage had the swing.  Both were fairly bare, but niether were bad stages.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3834 on: April 05, 2013, 01:31:14 PM »
If that is "bare," I'm not really sure what kind of stage you normally expect to see at a concert.  :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3835 on: April 06, 2013, 02:52:22 AM »
What I meant was none of the normal ever presence of Sphynxes, Eddie´s or Reapers.... it was a freaking BIG f´in´ stage though....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3836 on: April 10, 2013, 07:17:34 AM »
I... must... go...to...this :birch:

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3837 on: April 10, 2013, 07:35:11 AM »
Wow, a short little tour. Nice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3838 on: April 10, 2013, 08:14:17 AM »
09/03 - Raleigh - Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion
09/05 - Nashville - Bridgestone Arena
09/07 - Kansas City - Sprint Center
09/08 - St Louis - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
09/10 - Austin - Austin 360 Amphitheater
09/12 - Las Vegas - Mandalay Bay Events Center
09/13 - San Bernardino - San Manuel Amphitheatre

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_tours/iron_maiden_set_for_a_us_tour_with_megadeth_this_september.html

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3839 on: April 10, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »
It would be sick to see them in Vegas.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3840 on: April 10, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »
The San Bernardino show... sonofabitch I wanna go to that so badly... It's the venue they played when DT opened for them... and then I didn't give a hoot about Maiden. Now is my chance to redeem myself. Lol. Plus... The biggest outdoor ampitheater in the US... 60K capacity :metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3841 on: April 11, 2013, 12:54:50 PM »
Two things: 

First, is there an Iron Maiden song meaning FAQ somewhere?  Some of their songs are fairly obvious.  Others aren't if you don't know the background already.

Second, I'm a little annoyed.  I'm not really looking to get any new Maiden albums at the moment, but I had to stop by somewhere yesterday and there was a Best Buy right next store, so I popped into Best Buy on a whim to see what they had.  The first two albums...nah, not in a rush to get those.  The classic era albums that I already have...nope.  Maiden England '88...nah, not yet.  It's kinda pricey, and other than the 7th Son songs, I have studio and/or live version of all those songs.  And that was it...except for From Fear To Eternity.  I had seen it before, and wasn't that interested in a "best of" album.  But the thing is, it was only $9.99, so it begged for a second look.  Wow, 23 tracks, and the only 3 I already have are the ones from The Final Frontier.  Not a bad deal.  And I could finally get a bit of exposure to the Blaze era.  I already decided I don't like his voice, but to have a few songs that I can listen to on a good system and crank up loud might make me change my mind a bit.  And LOTS of other songs I don't have.  Sounded like a good deal.  I did notice that there are a few live tracks as well, but didn't pay too much attention to which ones they are.  For some reason, I just assumed that the live tracks would be from sources other than live album releases.  Nothing on the outside of the CD case said otherwise.  Well, I assumed wrong.  2 of the 3 Blaze songs, as well as one other song were from Rock in Rio.  >:(  So now that brings the total down to 17 songs were I don't have those same exact versions.  I guess that's still not bad, and nothing major to complain about.  And I am also still getting 13 songs that I had previously not had ANY version of whatsoever.  So still a good buy overall.  But just not as good as I thought.  Oh well.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #3842 on: April 11, 2013, 01:00:40 PM »
Yep, From Fear to Eternity (as well as its predecessor, Somewhere Back in Time) uses live Bruce-era recordings of the Di'Anno/Blaze-era songs.  I can see why that would be frustrating, but the good news is that you'll be hearing quite a few great songs for the first time.  (And a couple crappy ones.  Sorry about Holy Smoke.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3843 on: April 11, 2013, 01:24:02 PM »
I would've saved the $9.99 and put it towards a proper release.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #3844 on: April 11, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »
First, is there an Iron Maiden song meaning FAQ somewhere?  Some of their songs are fairly obvious.  Others aren't if you don't know the background already.

If there are some songs you're desperate to know the meaning of, the DTF Maiden hivemind might not be a bad place to start.  Collectively, we've amassed quite a bit of trivia.

I would've saved the $9.99 and put it towards a proper release.

Yeah, naturally. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3845 on: April 11, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »
I know.   ::)  I don't even like "best of albums."  But I had $10, so what the f*&@.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3846 on: April 11, 2013, 02:26:50 PM »
By the way, I was just listening to Blood Brothers and I noticed the chorus is really repetitive.  Anyone else notice this?

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #3847 on: April 11, 2013, 02:30:44 PM »
Alright, I should've known introducing bosk to Maiden would be a mistake.  Shut it down, everyone.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3848 on: April 11, 2013, 02:37:17 PM »
SHUT UP!  FEAR OF THE DARK IS ONE OF THE BEST ALBUMS EVER!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3849 on: April 11, 2013, 02:51:46 PM »
Two things: 

www.ironmaidencommentary.com
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."