Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436129 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3780 on: March 27, 2013, 12:12:55 PM »
Well, if they do, I haven´t gotten to that point yet. Its mainly about the writing, the recording, touring, stagesets and all. Also, In hindsight they´re sorry they didn´t film the Somewhere in time tour for release.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3781 on: March 27, 2013, 12:20:07 PM »
Well then, I say it is mandatory that they do a reboot of that tour, and that while they're at it, they finally drag out Alexander The Great.  So let it be done.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3782 on: March 27, 2013, 12:21:18 PM »
I agree. It would have been worth it, alone for Walking On Glass.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3783 on: March 27, 2013, 12:22:49 PM »
I agree. It would have been worth it, alone for Walking On Glass.
What a tremendous moment. One of the reasons why that was probably my all time favorite Maiden concert.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3784 on: March 27, 2013, 12:25:30 PM »
Somewhere Back in Time was basically a half-hearted roboot of that tour, which is what most Maiden reboot tours tend to be.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3785 on: March 27, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »
Somewhere Back in Time was basically a half-hearted roboot of that tour, which is what most Maiden reboot tours tend to be.

Yeah, but I can understand that, actually.  There's been a lot of time and a lot of music since then, so I would think it wouldn't really be a great option to simply replicate one of those early tours and ignore a lot of good music that came after.  That just wouldn't make for a good show given how much strong music they've put out afterwards.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #3786 on: March 27, 2013, 01:37:55 PM »
Also, some good stories about ´inflatables´ stageprops on that tour....  :D
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
You'll say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
« Reply #3787 on: March 27, 2013, 01:58:35 PM »

Yeah, but I can understand that, actually.  There's been a lot of time and a lot of music since then, so I would think it wouldn't really be a great option to simply replicate one of those early tours and ignore a lot of good music that came after.  That just wouldn't make for a good show given how much strong music they've put out afterwards.

Agreed, especially since these more recent revival tours (SBiT, Maiden England) fall pretty easily into a vanilla "classic Maiden" greatest hits album tour, rather than really showcasing much material from the albums they're actually supporting.

At this point, Maiden need to do a career celebration tour, akin to DT's score. Hey, there's an idea!

At least one song from each album, plus a few rarities and never-before's, followed by an encore everyone can rally behind

Set One
Satellite 15 intro
The Final Frontier
Prowler
Wrathchild
22 Acacia Avenue
Revelations
2 Minutes to Midnight
Rainbow's Gold
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Evil That Men Do
Holy Smoke
Fear of the Dark

Set Two (With Orchestra??????)
The Sign of the Cross
Como Estais Amigos
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Paschendale
Out of the Shadows
When The Wild Wind Blows

Encore
Judas Be My Guide
The Rhime of the Ancient Mariner OR Alexander the Great

I think that would be between a 2-3 hour show. Anyway, it'd be awesome.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3788 on: March 27, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »
Despite some songs that I do not know, that is an AWESOME set list.  But come on--no Run To The Hills, Hallowed, NOTB, Running Free, or Iron Maiden?  You have to at least have a few of those somewhere in the set, or people's heads would start exploding.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3789 on: March 27, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »
That looks fantastic, PC, especially the set 2, I can really picture those songs with an orchestra. I would only take out Rainbow's gold and change the encore:

Number of the beast
Hallowed be thy name
Iron Maiden

Gotta have these three, as bosk said.  ;D

It's slightly over two hours of playing overall, I think they'd be able to pull it off.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3790 on: March 27, 2013, 02:15:34 PM »
I know you gotta have 'em. Maiden didn't play some of them when they did AMOLAD in it's entirety, though, so I dunno whether you REALLY gotta have 'em or not. I think if people knew enough what they were getting into, it'd be alright.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: You'll say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
« Reply #3791 on: March 27, 2013, 02:17:17 PM »
Agreed, especially since these more recent revival tours (SBiT, Maiden England) fall pretty easily into a vanilla "classic Maiden" greatest hits album tour, rather than really showcasing much material from the albums they're actually supporting.
That's not entirely true. The so-called Maiden England tour was a pretty standard greatest hits affair, but SBiT was actually a fairly honest rendition of the original. Also, don't forget the Early Days tour which was the furthest thing from a greatest hits show:

The Ides of March
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Another Life
Prowler
The Trooper
Remember Tomorrow
Where Eagles Dare
Run to the Hills
Revelations
Wrathchild
Die with Your Boots On
Phantom of the Opera
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Encore:
Running Free
Drifter
Sanctuary
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3792 on: March 27, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
PC, I think if you add Iron Maiden at the end of the main set, and then swap out Judas for Run To The Hills, you'd be okay and probably avoid rioting, at least on a mass scale.  And if the band lucked out, since the set is so long, people might forget by the end of the show that The Trooper wasn't in there. 

So when are they supposed to work on a new album, anyway?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: You'll say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
« Reply #3793 on: March 27, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »
That's not entirely true. The so-called Maiden England tour was a pretty standard greatest hits affair, but SBiT was actually a fairly honest rendition of the original. Also, don't forget the Early Days tour which was the furthest thing from a greatest hits show:

The Ides of March
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Another Life
Prowler
The Trooper
Remember Tomorrow
Where Eagles Dare
Run to the Hills
Revelations
Wrathchild
Die with Your Boots On
Phantom of the Opera
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Encore:
Running Free
Drifter
Sanctuary

Yeah I was referring to mainly SBiT and Maiden England. I missed the Maiden England leg, but I did check out a few setlists awhile ago and I really came away with the impression that it was SBiT rearranged and with a handful of post SSOASS songs tossed in.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3794 on: March 27, 2013, 02:53:40 PM »
Personally, I'm pretty tired of the greatest hits sets. That's mostly all we get here. Hell, two of my favorite Maiden shows were the oddballs. The Early Days gig and the tour with DT that was nothing but new material. Unfortunately, far too many people bitch and moan if they don't hear Trooper and Run for the umpteenth time. That's why we can't have nice things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3795 on: March 27, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »
I actually walked out during the last time I heard Maiden encoring Running Free. When the guitars drop out and Bruce starts ranting, that's basically a signal that it's time to get out and beat traffic.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3796 on: March 27, 2013, 02:59:51 PM »
Personally, I'm pretty tired of the greatest hits sets. That's mostly all we get here. Hell, two of my favorite Maiden shows were the oddballs. The Early Days gig and the tour with DT that was nothing but new material. Unfortunately, far too many people bitch and moan if they don't hear Trooper and Run for the umpteenth time. That's why we can't have nice things.

+1

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3797 on: March 27, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
I bought the dvd and the cd. I... I don't know why. They were just there.  :lol The cds being a dollar more expensive than the dvd set surprised me though. That just seems off to me.

Also picked up Live After Death.

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3798 on: March 27, 2013, 10:41:45 PM »
You can in fact survive without hearing Run To The Hills in a Maiden show, as was proven when I saw the band in 2010 on the first leg of the Final Frontier tour. I suspect however you can never pull Fear of the Dark out of a set, no matter how hard you try.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3799 on: March 28, 2013, 12:19:58 AM »
They didn't play it when I saw them in 2005, and honestly, I didn't miss it. It's a cool song but the set works fine without. I wish they didn't do it on the last two history tours, it felt really out of place both times.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #3800 on: March 28, 2013, 01:47:51 AM »
Well, Adrian's departure gets a mention, at the VERY end....'The next year I wasn't in the band...' followed by: 'To be continued'

So, what's next? Donnington?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3801 on: March 28, 2013, 07:16:09 AM »
Is it me, or is Bruce constantly a tiny bit ahead of the beat on Maiden England?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #3802 on: March 28, 2013, 08:01:28 AM »
Well, they all agree the tempo's are insane on that gig. Might be an accoustics problem (no in-ears yet).

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3803 on: March 28, 2013, 10:34:32 AM »
Maiden always played songs too fast back in the 80s, especially when Di'Anno was the singer. On Maiden England, it's especially noticeable on Die With Your Boots On, where Bruce is reduced to practically ranting the chorus to keep up. If memory serves, one of the reasons Flight of Icarus hasn't been played in so long is because half the band wants to play it in the right tempo and the other half don't.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3804 on: March 28, 2013, 10:51:52 AM »
Maiden always played songs too fast back in the 80s, especially when Di'Anno was the singer. On Maiden England, it's especially noticeable on Die With Your Boots On, where Bruce is reduced to practically ranting the chorus to keep up. If memory serves, one of the reasons Flight of Icarus hasn't been played in so long is because half the band wants to play it in the right tempo and the other half don't.
Yeah, I noticed tempo issues are mainly what seems to be marring Bruce's ability to sing well on many songs from LaD. He has no time to breathe.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3805 on: March 28, 2013, 03:40:53 PM »
Got the DVD today. Man, so many memories. It's ben so long since I watched 12 Wasted Years. It's amazing how young everyone looks, especially Dickie Bell and the rest of the crew.
Love the scenes with Derek Riggs. Weirdo! haha
and the shot with the EMI guy on the bench with the old ladies! :lol

Great footage of the show itself. I have watched it from time to time over the last few years. I wish Steve edited Death On The Road as he did this one. Actually a lot of the shots look the same, but the speed...

Regarding the setlists/retro tours...
1. I think it's a legitimate criticism of the band on both setlist choices as well as all of these retro tours. First we get the Ed Hunter tour, which was fine, but since we've gotten the Give Me Ed, Early Years, SBiT, and now Maiden England. I'm thinking why tour the Give Me Ed tour, but skip us for Dance Of Death. That kind of pissed me off at the time.
Sometimes I feel that we keep getting sold the same bill of goods.

2. Admittedly The Early Days tour had a killer setlist, but regarding the SBiT and Maiden England tours, Since Maiden has everything well planned out into the future, why was Moonchild played on the SBiT tour, only to be repeated for the Maiden England tour? It held a spot that should've been filled with Caught Somewhere In Time. And I laugh at the inlclusion of Afraid To Shoot Strangers on the Maiden England tour and the exclusion of Infinite Dreams. How the hell can you leave off Infinite Dreams? Of course, the next History tour will take us through the early to mid 90's and AFTSS gets repeated again. And why was it neccesary to repeat Wasted Years AND Can I Play With Madness on both..

Yeah, setlist bashing is a tired past time with Maiden. I know..

The thing is, it's not like this is all the band has to offer. The four reunion albums are so damned strong. But it's nuts to get a Reunion era greatest hits tour for the first leg of TFF, but then skipped for the proper album tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3806 on: March 28, 2013, 08:42:15 PM »
IM setlists make little sense to me, really the only downside to the band.  However, since seeing them for the first time during the Early Years tour and a total of 7 times, I have been able to see quite a large amount of different songs live.

My only guess to why they do things is because when they tour, they tour so many places, many of which they dont go to often, so they try to play the classics to please the new and old fans.  The die hards complain, but they keep showing up.

While they will probably release another "history" dvd (Donnington seems likely), I kind of doubt at thier age they decide to tour that material.  It seems they may likely do one more album after the summer festivals (take thier time too) and then maybe do an album tour and farewell tour. 

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3807 on: March 29, 2013, 11:55:54 AM »
I'm not sure if I'm hapy that they'll play their old song (first IM show for me) or sad because I'll not hear their new songs. I know it's going to be great but I would really like to hear songs from AMOLAD and FF.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3808 on: March 29, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
Yeah, it's one of those things, but whatever they're playing, they always deliver.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3809 on: March 29, 2013, 06:13:58 PM »
Well, Adrian's departure gets a mention, at the VERY end....'The next year I wasn't in the band...' followed by: 'To be continued'

So, what's next? Donnington?
Hopefully. From what I remember it's not as good as LAD and England, but it'll still beat a repackaging of Raising Hell.  :facepalm: Though I am curious if it will be included as a bonus or something. Last I checked it was still in print.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #3810 on: April 02, 2013, 04:50:19 AM »
Just finished watching the concert portion and holy FUCK is it epic!  :hefdaddy

Their performance of SSOASS is totally awesome. Wasn´t a big fan of the song previous, but by god is it good!

Now off to watch Rock in Rio!  :metal

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #3811 on: April 02, 2013, 04:54:50 AM »
I hope the next dvd will take on the entire 90's-period.
A 3 DVD-set with a 90+ minute documentary spanning from when Adrian quit until the reunion -  Donington, Raising Hell, and some remastered concert footage from the Blaze-Era.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3812 on: April 02, 2013, 07:18:03 AM »
Id love to see some professional footage from the blaze era. Id like for donnington but Raising Hell is already on DvD and can be left alone. Id prefer disc 1 Donnington full concert Disc 2 History part 4 music videos from NPFtD through V11 and then extra footage from NPFtD tour and a partial Blaze concert with his songs, no need for Blaze performances on older songs . Maybe the Chile spitting incident as well......

And then for history part 5 a re edited double Blu ray package of RiR and DoD. Followed by a full AMoLaD concert when they played the entire album. Then I will be set for life

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #3813 on: April 03, 2013, 05:14:10 AM »
This new DVD is awesome. Nice to have a fresh setlist (for me) and some songs I haven't heard with Bruce very often. (ie: Killers) The band is very animated and look like they're enjoying themselves.

Note- I love when they're miming on a TV show and they switch instruments, very funny... Adrian is the only one who plays it straight.

- In the doc, Adrian complains about the songs being too fast. In the concert, he starts Wasted Years painfully slow, in anticipation of the tempo getting faster... and it does.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3814 on: April 03, 2013, 05:41:31 AM »
- In the doc, Adrian complains about the songs being too fast. In the concert, he starts Wasted Years painfully slow, in anticipation of the tempo getting faster... and it does.

Yeah, I noticed that too when watching.  It's almost double time when Nicko kicks in.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.