Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436276 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3710 on: March 13, 2013, 11:24:26 AM »
Sad news. RIP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3711 on: March 13, 2013, 11:59:46 AM »
I'm deeply saddened by this news, rest in peace Clive.  :'(

Offline adace

« Reply #3712 on: March 13, 2013, 12:14:35 PM »
R.I.P. Clive. He was a phenomenal drummer.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3713 on: March 13, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »
RIP Clive, a big part of the beginning of my favorite band.

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #3714 on: March 13, 2013, 03:29:48 PM »
 :( He sure was a big part of why Maiden stood out in their early days. Rest in peace.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3715 on: March 13, 2013, 03:42:57 PM »
This is just awful, a great drummer and a great guy.  I am really upset about this.  :'(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3716 on: March 13, 2013, 04:57:59 PM »
Changing topic...

Ya' know...I know this is an unpopular opinion to have, but...well...Powerslave really isn't a great album.  It's just not.  Aces High and 2 Minutes are a very good start to the album.  The thing is, "very good" is not "great."  And that's fine.  Every song can't be "the best ever!!!11one!"  But the problem is, while the album opens strongly, it doesn't open up strongly enough to keep me interested through the next four songs, which are CONSIDERABLY weaker, IMO.  They aren't terrible.  But I just don't find them interesting either.  Honestly, the middle four song sound like filler.  And having half your album be filler is not a good thing.  The two best songs on the album by a mile close it out.  Terrific way to close the album with 20 minutes of outstanding music.  But in the future, I can easily see myself saying, "I don't really want to listen to this album.  Let me just skip to Powerslave and Mariner, and call it a day."  It's not a bad album by any stretch.  But I would definitely consider it the weakest of the ones I have.

Okay, I'm done.  Come at me.  :bringiton:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:05:27 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3717 on: March 13, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »
Changing topic...

Ya' know...I know this is an unpopular opinion to have, but...well...Powerslave really isn't a great album.  It's just not.  Aces High and 2 Minutes are a very good start to the album.  They "very good" is not "great."  And that's fine.  Every song can't be "the best ever!!!11one!"  But the problem is, while the album opens strongly, it doesn't open up strongly enough to keep me interested through the next four songs, which are CONSIDERABLY weaker, IMO.  They aren't terrible.  But I just don't find them interesting either.  Honestly, the middle four song sound like filler.  And having half your album be filler is not a good thing.  The two best songs on the album by a mile close it out.  Terrific way to close the album with 20 minutes of outstanding music.  But in the future, I can easily see myself saying, "I don't really want to listen to this album.  Let me just skip to Powerslave and Mariner, and call it a day."  It's not a bad album by any stretch.  But I would definitely consider it the weakest of the ones I have.

This is a pretty reasonable opinion, actually.  I never really got into the album's middle half, myself.  Maiden has much better, more consistent albums (SIT, SSOASS, TNOTB).

BTW, bosk, would you mind listing the Maiden albums you've got now?  I'm interested to see what Powerslave is stacking up against here.  (Sorry if you've gotten this question a million times... you should've known when you got into Maiden that you would be an intellectual curiosity to a lot of us  :lol )
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:09:58 PM by theseoafs »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3718 on: March 13, 2013, 05:22:44 PM »
Yeah, I feel like I've posted it a lot lately, but that's okay.  Here they are:

Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
Powerslave
Somewhere In Time
Rock In Rio (CD)
The Final Frontier
En Vivo (DVD)

It's kinda unfair to rank live albums and studio albums together, and to throw video into the mix as well, but if pressed, here's how I would rank them:
1.  En Vivo
2.  The Final Frontier
3.  Rock In Rio
4.  Piece Of Mind
5.  Somewhere In Time
6.  Number Of The Beast
7.  Powerslave

My 1-4 are very close.  Then a bit of a dropoff with SiT and NotB being pretty close to one another.  Then Powerslave, although still pretty respectable, bringing up the rear.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3719 on: March 13, 2013, 05:22:57 PM »
Ahh Nicko!

"I send that up momas ass", "That's a pretty good spank a' doodle"!
 :lol :rollin

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3720 on: March 13, 2013, 05:57:45 PM »
I agree with you too Bosk about Powerslave. It's really only about those 4 songs

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3721 on: March 13, 2013, 06:16:26 PM »
I agree with you too Bosk about Powerslave. It's really only about those 4 songs

Same here. It was one of the last pre-90s albums I bought, and I easily find it the weakest of the first seven albums.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3722 on: March 14, 2013, 04:30:10 AM »
I remember reading that Steve Harris was also dissatisfied with the four songs in the middle of the album. I personally love Back in the village and Flash of the blade, and the other two are really good as well. But for the most fans, the strength of the album is in its two opening and closing tracks.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3723 on: March 14, 2013, 04:42:46 AM »
Changing topic...

Ya' know...I know this is an unpopular opinion to have, but...well...Powerslave really isn't a great album.  It's just not.  Aces High and 2 Minutes are a very good start to the album.  The thing is, "very good" is not "great."  And that's fine.  Every song can't be "the best ever!!!11one!"  But the problem is, while the album opens strongly, it doesn't open up strongly enough to keep me interested through the next four songs, which are CONSIDERABLY weaker, IMO.  They aren't terrible.  But I just don't find them interesting either.  Honestly, the middle four song sound like filler.  And having half your album be filler is not a good thing.  The two best songs on the album by a mile close it out.  Terrific way to close the album with 20 minutes of outstanding music.  But in the future, I can easily see myself saying, "I don't really want to listen to this album.  Let me just skip to Powerslave and Mariner, and call it a day."  It's not a bad album by any stretch.  But I would definitely consider it the weakest of the ones I have.

Agreed. I think Powerslave gets a lot of love because it's easily one of the most tasty Maiden albums from a guitar playing viewpoint. Compared to previous records, Adrian and Dave really seem to be on another level that I'd argue isn't *completely* recaptured until the reunion.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3724 on: March 14, 2013, 05:05:49 AM »
I think you have a point there, it does sagg in the middle a bit. But the guitars are stellar overal. You wouldn't think they were boozin' it up heavily as they told afterwards.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3725 on: March 14, 2013, 05:50:26 AM »
I don't know, Losfer Words, The Duelist, and Flash of the Blade are awesome songs. Nothing great, but not filler IMO. Back in the Village kind of stinks though.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3726 on: March 14, 2013, 06:20:04 AM »
Yeah the quality drops after Aces / Midnight (although Flash Of The Blade is great IMHO) before it goes back up with Powerslave / Mariner.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3727 on: March 14, 2013, 06:45:14 AM »
Just a thought about Clive..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twTDRkswCWQ

The link is the promo video to Run To The Hills. Why is it special? Well, It pretty much was my beginning point to being a Maiden fan. One of the things that really got my attention was the infectious smile on their drummer.
Listened to Killers last night. Clive had such great hands.

Changing topic...

OK Bosk, I will tell you that when Powerslave came out, I really did not care for it. I first heard Two Minutes and I thought it was fairly generic. I mean by that time, the intro was already basically the same riff that I had on 4 other albums. The riff is the same as:
Dio-Stand Up And Shout
Saxon-Power And The Glory
Riot-Swords And Tequila
Accept-Flash Rockin' Man

I just felt like they didn't break new ground with it. I thought Aces High was a little generic. I mean it's cool and all, but.. I thought Rime was long for long's sake. They made such a big deal about writing this long song, just seemed that the length was all that mattered to them.
After listening to Genghis Kahn last night, Losfer Words does not stand up. I just thought the whole album was contrived. Even when they started touring, I thought the Egyptian motiff was kind of cliche'd.

Those were my impressions back in 1984-85. That said, Poweslave has aged remarkably well. Still not upper tier for me, or even close. But that doesn't make it a bad album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3728 on: March 14, 2013, 06:49:21 AM »
You forgot the original.  Janick's band White Spirit and Midnight Chaser;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag-ALgraezU
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3729 on: March 14, 2013, 06:59:33 AM »
Powerslave, for me, sits somewhere in the middle of the pack.  I love Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Back In The Village and RotAM, the rest of the songs I like but sometimes I skip them over when I listen to it.

I actually think the two albums that came AFTER this one were stronger. 

Online Dream Team

« Reply #3730 on: March 14, 2013, 07:01:34 AM »
Yeah, I feel like I've posted it a lot lately, but that's okay.  Here they are:

Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
Powerslave
Somewhere In Time
Rock In Rio (CD)
The Final Frontier
En Vivo (DVD)

It's kinda unfair to rank live albums and studio albums together, and to throw video into the mix as well, but if pressed, here's how I would rank them:
1.  En Vivo
2.  The Final Frontier
3.  Rock In Rio
4.  Piece Of Mind
5.  Somewhere In Time
6.  Number Of The Beast
7.  Powerslave

My 1-4 are very close.  Then a bit of a dropoff with SiT and NotB being pretty close to one another.  Then Powerslave, although still pretty respectable, bringing up the rear.

Perfectly sane rankings. To me, Powerslave is all about tracks 1, 7, 8 and I never listen to the others. But those 3 are all Top 20.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3731 on: March 14, 2013, 07:04:56 AM »
I just want to shamelessly plug that the final round of the Maiden survivor (debut album) is under way :P

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36209.0

Now back to the discussions :birch:

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3732 on: March 14, 2013, 11:43:30 AM »
Hey guys, I found this funny clip of bosk when he was a little kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8ZeCz36pGw

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3733 on: March 14, 2013, 11:50:48 AM »
Hey guys, I found this funny clip of bosk when he was a little kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8ZeCz36pGw

That is fuc#ikg AWESOME!!!!!!!! :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3734 on: March 14, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »
:rollin  Well, Iron Maiden does make me happy, so maybe that actually did happen and I just have a repressed memory or something.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3735 on: March 14, 2013, 11:54:38 AM »
I love when they show the brother for a second and he's got the horns going!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3736 on: March 14, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »
Rather than scouring the topic for any info on it, I'll leave this here:

https://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/video-bruce-dickinson-introduces-iron-maiden-trooper-beer/

No word on whether or not it smells like acrid smoke and/or horse's breath.  However, after drinking enough of it, you may wake up on the neighbor's lawn gazing at the sky, your body numb and your throat dry...

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #3737 on: March 14, 2013, 01:52:49 PM »
You'll take a mug and I'll take one too. You can't get drunk, because it runs right through.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3738 on: March 14, 2013, 01:56:57 PM »
:clap:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3739 on: March 14, 2013, 01:59:33 PM »
Not bad, but I saw a better version:

You take my beer and I'll take yours too
I'm gonna order me another brew
So when you're waiting for the next rounds
Remember that you have to pay in pounds

The bugle sounds the charge begins
the first one to the bar wins
The smell of cigarette smoke and toxic breath
Some jerk in the bar is quoting Macbeth

Get the car ready for a beer run
We like to play darts for fun
As we race towards the beer can wall
Someone's getting hit because he made them fall

We roll drunks that lay on the ground
And the russians buy another round
We get so near, yet so far away
I guess we won't get our beer today

We get so close near enough to get
A frothy refreshing beverage cool and wet
He pulls the bell and I start to fall
I can't believe we just missed last call

As I lay there gazing at the sky
My body's numb and my throat is dry
As I lay there forgotten and alone
Without a beer I draw my parting groan

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #3740 on: March 14, 2013, 02:06:51 PM »
Yes, well, I didn't want to spend too much of my time on parody lyrics about beer. But nice!  :tup
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3741 on: March 16, 2013, 02:01:37 PM »
I am watching Death On The Road right now, and Lord Of The Flies is so much better live with Bruce :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3742 on: March 16, 2013, 02:07:44 PM »
I am watching Death On The Road right now, and Lord Of The Flies is so much better live with Bruce :metal :metal
Love DOTR. Lots of great songs from the Blaze era. Would love to hear more Bruce versions.

Plus one of the things missing from those two albums was guitar depth, and this is where Adrian can also have a huge impact.

I wish they would bring back The Educated Fool. That chorus was made for Bruce. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3743 on: March 18, 2013, 07:51:28 AM »
So anyway, someone unloaded a bunch of great metal at the store I usually buy vinyls from, and (among gems like Zepellin IV, the Journey Discography, and some Genesis) I picked up Somewhere in Time for $10.

It's in fairly good condition. A little warped, but not enough to really effect sound quality. Two things surprise me:

1.) It's a slipcase. Seriously? The SiT artwork BEGS for a gatefold. Geez.
2.) It sounds so freakin' good. Something about Iron Maiden's CD remasters leaves me cold. Nicko's playing sounds way more distinct on these Maiden vinyls, and Bruce's voice seems to fit much more comfortably in the sonic space of the original mix. On the CD remaster I had previously, you can't really hear Nicko's cymbal work much because the guitars are so loud, and Bruce's voice kinda awkwardly floats above everything.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3744 on: March 18, 2013, 08:26:51 AM »
Took a ski trip with the kids on Friday and Saturday.  Just as we were driving through the town of El Dorado on Friday morning...the song El Dorado starts playing on my CD player.  :omg: