Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436435 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3640 on: March 11, 2013, 02:53:58 PM »

I go back and forth between that one and A Matter of Life and Death as being my favorite reunion albums

Me too. They also take spots 3 and 4 of my Iron Maiden Top albums.

AMOLAD is a masterpiece, but I just find TFF just as great but a little more colorful.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3641 on: March 11, 2013, 02:58:27 PM »
I'm undecided, and it's still early given that I've only had it a few days, but TFF might just be my favorite Maiden album so far.  And of course, that means that it comes in ahead of the classic era albums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3642 on: March 11, 2013, 03:05:27 PM »
I'm undecided, and it's still early given that I've only had it a few days, but TFF might just be my favorite Maiden album so far.  And of course, that means that it comes in ahead of the classic era albums.
BEen a Maiden fan since I was 13, and I put TFF and AMOLAD ahead of most of the classic era, save for TNOTB and SSOASS.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #3643 on: March 11, 2013, 03:53:12 PM »
Just curious... is anyone here a fan of Showtime's show Californication?  At the end of each episode, there's usually a melancholy acoustic cover song playing.  Watching last week's episode, I found myself singing the words, not really sure what the song was.  So, I rewound it to listen again.  Turns out, it was an acoustic cover of Maiden's "Wasted Years"!  It was pretty cool.

It was the Ryan Adams acoustic version. He's a big metal fan and performed the song on BBC radio but apparently re-recorded the version for Californication soundtrack. It seems some weren't fans of the song stripped down. It's one of my favorite Maiden songs and I did enjoy the performance as a tribute and for the different take on the song.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3644 on: March 11, 2013, 03:57:34 PM »
Just curious... is anyone here a fan of Showtime's show Californication?  At the end of each episode, there's usually a melancholy acoustic cover song playing.  Watching last week's episode, I found myself singing the words, not really sure what the song was.  So, I rewound it to listen again.  Turns out, it was an acoustic cover of Maiden's "Wasted Years"!  It was pretty cool.

It was the Ryan Adams acoustic version. He's a big metal fan and performed the song on BBC radio but apparently re-recorded the version for Californication soundtrack. It seems some weren't fans of the song stripped down. It's one of my favorite Maiden songs and I did enjoy the performance as a tribute and for the different take on the song.

I really loved that version of "Wasted Years"

I really love it when artists other than the artist who wrote a certain song are able to take that song and do something completely different with it, without wrecking it.

Actually, one of my other favorites in this category is what Eric Clapton did with "Layla" when he did the "unplugged" version of it.  Very cool stuff.   :hat

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3645 on: March 11, 2013, 05:26:37 PM »

I go back and forth between that one and A Matter of Life and Death as being my favorite reunion albums

AMOLAD is a masterpiece, but I just find TFF just as great but a little more colorful.
That's interesting to me. I too would rank AMoLaD up there with the classics (although I use PoM as the benchmark, rather than NotB), but really don't care for FF much at all. I listened to it a couple of times when it was new, went meh, then put it away. Gave it another shot a couple of months ago and felt the same way. WtWWB is the only thing on there that really does it for me.

Out of curiosity, do you consider them both great but completely different, or does FF seem like a continuation to you? Honestly, doesn't even seem like the same band to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3646 on: March 11, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »
The Final Frontier was my intro to Maiden. Like DT's Systematic Chaos, it holds a special place to me because it was the first I listened to. Bought it when it came out (2010) and it was the only Maiden I had until I got around to buying the rest of the discography from July 2012-November 2012.

I'm not much for buying bands' live albums, but I might pick up En Vivo from all the great stuff you guys are saying about it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3647 on: March 11, 2013, 05:57:25 PM »
I'm not much for buying bands' live albums, but I might pick up En Vivo from all the great stuff you guys are saying about it.

I almost never advise someone who is either brand new or relatively new to a band to pick up their live albums.  Maiden is a definite exception to that rule.  I highly recommed either Rock In Rio or En Vivo. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3648 on: March 11, 2013, 06:00:25 PM »
I highly recommend seeing them because they are one of the best live bands out there.  A live cd/dvd would do, but nothing beats seeing them.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3649 on: March 11, 2013, 07:21:29 PM »
I love all the reunion albums. AMoLaD is the toughest to get into for me, though. Nothing about it really sticks out. I think TFF and DoD are the most diverse reunion albums, and they'd be my favorite overall.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3650 on: March 11, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »
Until recently I'd have to have said TFF was my favorite of the reunion albums, but recently I finally, really GOT AMOLAD and it's moved to the top spot of the reunion albums. It is hard to get into, and for me it really only works as an entire album, but it's an album where once it opens up to you, it's really rewarding. I can understand WHY it's hard to get into though, as it's a lot to dig through.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3651 on: March 11, 2013, 08:55:27 PM »
I just have to say right now.   I gave up on the IM reunion after being disappointed with BNW.    I have not given more than a glancing listen of a few post-BNW snippets....I just wasn't interested.

But based on years of fanfare....I am currently hearing AMOLAD in its entirety for the first time ever....AND IT IS COMPLETELY KICKING MY ASS!!!!!

THANK YOU DTF!!!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3652 on: March 11, 2013, 09:07:12 PM »
I just have to say right now.   I gave up on the IM reunion after being disappointed with BNW.    I have not given more than a glancing listen of a few post-BNW snippets....I just wasn't interested.

But based on years of fanfare....I am currently hearing AMOLAD in its entirety for the first time ever....AND IT IS COMPLETELY KICKING MY ASS!!!!!

THANK YOU DTF!!!!!

Dude, good for you.  The reunion albums are fucking fantastic, and AMOLAD in particular is really strong (and seems to only get stronger as time passes).

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3653 on: March 11, 2013, 09:08:59 PM »
It has aged pretty well.  You can throw it on now and hear something different and have a good solid listening experience all the way through.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #3654 on: March 11, 2013, 09:10:31 PM »
Yep, aMoLaD is awesome.  :tup

It's my favorite of the reunion albums.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3655 on: March 11, 2013, 09:12:07 PM »
I'm just staring "Lord of Light"....but so far, Brighter than a Thousand Suns and For the Greater Good of God have been particular standouts.

I'm just LOVING THIS!!!!   Best Maiden album since Powerslave....easily!!!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3656 on: March 11, 2013, 09:28:04 PM »
AMOLAD is my 2nd favorite Maiden, after Piece of Mind. Epic album. The last four tracks are a deadly combination. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns is up there too. The whole thing kicks so much ass.

I loved Final Frontier when it came out. It has an atmosphere unlike any other album and in some ways it is the most adventurous of the reunion stuff. I don't like it as much as I did when it was new but it's still very good. Isle of Avalon is my absolute favorite Maiden song.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #3657 on: March 12, 2013, 12:18:26 AM »
Until recently I'd have to have said TFF was my favorite of the reunion albums, but recently I finally, really GOT AMOLAD and it's moved to the top spot of the reunion albums. It is hard to get into, and for me it really only works as an entire album, but it's an album where once it opens up to you, it's really rewarding. I can understand WHY it's hard to get into though, as it's a lot to dig through.

This by far.
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3658 on: March 12, 2013, 01:25:35 AM »
After mainly focusing on their 80s-90s stuff, I've paid more attention to their reunion albums these last couple of days. I'm slowly warming up to them, but I still wouldn't place any of them in the same tier as their "classic" stuff yet. They're tougher to get into since they seem to want to build most of their songs nowadays around the Ancient Mariner blueprint (long, progressive songs with brooding sections) instead of the shorter, "snappier" songs like The Trooper and Aces High that I prefer.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3659 on: March 12, 2013, 05:28:00 AM »
After mainly focusing on their 80s-90s stuff, I've paid more attention to their reunion albums these last couple of days. I'm slowly warming up to them, but I still wouldn't place any of them in the same tier as their "classic" stuff yet. They're tougher to get into since they seem to want to build most of their songs nowadays around the Ancient Mariner blueprint (long, progressive songs with brooding sections) instead of the shorter, "snappier" songs like The Trooper and Aces High that I prefer.

That's the problem a lot of people have had over the last 10 years of so.  I once thought that, but Final Frontier changed my mind.  While I wanted the band to go back to shorter faster songs, I just don't think that's where their strength is anymore.  I mean look at songs like New Frontier, Wildest Dreams, El Dorado, Different World, The Alchemist they are decent to good, but compare them to These Colors Don't Run, Wild Wind, Avalon, Talisman, DOD, Greater Good of God, Paschendale etc. they are just stronger in general.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3660 on: March 12, 2013, 05:42:47 AM »
I'm just staring "Lord of Light"....but so far, Brighter than a Thousand Suns and For the Greater Good of God have been particular standouts.

What are your thoughts on The Legacy? It's easily the best song on AMOLAD in my opinion, and one of my favourites by IM, if not my favourite song overall.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3661 on: March 12, 2013, 07:00:44 AM »

That's interesting to me. I too would rank AMoLaD up there with the classics (although I use PoM as the benchmark, rather than NotB), but really don't care for FF much at all. I listened to it a couple of times when it was new, went meh, then put it away. Gave it another shot a couple of months ago and felt the same way. WtWWB is the only thing on there that really does it for me.

Out of curiosity, do you consider them both great but completely different, or does FF seem like a continuation to you? Honestly, doesn't even seem like the same band to me.
Bart, your concept of a continuation is pretty close. AMOLAD is a landmark album. I expected a drop off with TFF but it's really just as strong. I do feel that TFF a little easier on the ears if you know what I mean, but song wise, it's right there with AMOLAD.

TFF came out while we were on vacation in Chicago. I bought it out there to listen to on the drive home. I literally had tears in my eyes listening to it. My wife was like WTF is wrong with you?!?
I said its the new Maiden album.  :metal :metal

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3662 on: March 12, 2013, 08:00:53 AM »

What are your thoughts on The Legacy? It's easily the best song on AMOLAD in my opinion, and one of my favourites by IM, if not my favourite song overall.

THIS!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3663 on: March 12, 2013, 08:41:14 AM »
TFF came out while we were on vacation in Chicago. I bought it out there to listen to on the drive home. I literally had tears in my eyes listening to it. My wife was like WTF is wrong with you?!?
:clap:  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3664 on: March 12, 2013, 08:59:58 AM »

:rollin  Tim, you are one of my most favoritest people that I've never met. 

I almost feel that way about the album myself.  I've been listening to it nonstop, and it is SO good! 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3665 on: March 12, 2013, 09:05:53 AM »
Favourite tracks already, bosky? My personal favourites would probably be Isle of Avalon and When the Wild Wind Blows, both are top tier Maiden for me. I love how groovy Isle of Avalon is.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3666 on: March 12, 2013, 09:09:14 AM »

That's the problem a lot of people have had over the last 10 years of so.  I once thought that, but Final Frontier changed my mind.  While I wanted the band to go back to shorter faster songs, I just don't think that's where their strength is anymore.  I mean look at songs like New Frontier, Wildest Dreams, El Dorado, Different World, The Alchemist they are decent to good, but compare them to These Colors Don't Run, Wild Wind, Avalon, Talisman, DOD, Greater Good of God, Paschendale etc. they are just stronger in general.

Different World would like to have a word with you.

Also, These Colors is not that much longer than 2 minutes to Midnight.   Out of the Shadows is another really great shorter song.    Maybe that's why AMOLAD works for me so much.   I feel like they gave it the best of all of it.   The short songs like Different World and Out of the Shadows...the mid-tier 6-7 minute songs (ala 2MTM) like These Colors...and then the epics.

And yes, The Legacy was amazing.   But I have only given the album 1 spin.  Give me a couple more. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3667 on: March 12, 2013, 09:10:35 AM »

:rollin  Tim, you are one of my most favoritest people that I've never met. 

I almost feel that way about the album myself.  I've been listening to it nonstop, and it is SO good!

Yes, there are VERY few bands that could put out material of this quality this far into their career. That's what happens when you have 3 of the greatest songwriters (Harris, Dickinson, Smith) in the history of metal in 1 band.  :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3668 on: March 12, 2013, 09:10:38 AM »
My favourites on TFF are Coming Home and The Alchemist. None of the other longer songs have clicked with me so far.

Coming Home on En Vivo is amazing.

"To Albion's laaaaaaaand"
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3669 on: March 12, 2013, 09:14:25 AM »
I don't get how people love "Different World" but hate "Wildest Dreams". I mean, I like both, but I never understood the hate "Wildest Dreams" gets, especially since "Different World" is so well-loved.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3670 on: March 12, 2013, 09:51:39 AM »
I don't get how people love "Different World" but hate "Wildest Dreams". I mean, I like both, but I never understood the hate "Wildest Dreams" gets, especially since "Different World" is so well-loved.

I love Wildest Dreams and am unimpressed with Different Worlds.  :laugh:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3671 on: March 12, 2013, 10:06:51 AM »
Favourite tracks already, bosky?

Man, that's a hard one.  So far, I'm really liking them all.  Since I got En Vivo first and listened to it so many times in the last few days, the songs that are on there are obviously sticking with me more right now, but that could change.  If I had to pick my top standouts, they would be (in no particular order):  S-15/The Final Frontier, El Dorado (I don't care what anybody says, I LOVE this song!), Coming Home, and When The Wild Wind Blows.  Mother of Mercy is also starrting to grow on me.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3672 on: March 12, 2013, 10:40:39 AM »
I'm torn on El Dorado. On one hand, the song freakin' gallops, which is awesome and definitely overdue. On the other, it feels like it gallups right out of steam pretty quickly, at least on the studio version.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3673 on: March 12, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
Anyway, to keep this thread from always being the place where we pre-emptively discuss next week's discography topic, I'm gonna put something out there: Michael Kenney should just become an Iron Maiden member.

The dude's been on Maiden albums and been touring with Maiden since the late 80's. Despite that, I don't even know what he looks like. Yet, he's there, and no-one ever knows; he might as well just be piped in string sounds, for all anyone knows, but he's not! He's really there, probably behind someone's stack, plugging away at keys.

At this point, Maiden should let him out of the shadows. Though great, TFF kinda sent the signal to a lot of people that the "reunion" album formula could use some shaking-up. "Brave New World" really was a second wind for Maiden, but now that the wind is dying down and Maiden has nowhere relevant to go for another nostalgia tour (a tour centered around the Donnington show? Please.), maybe it's time for another paradigm shift.

Let's see Maiden go into the studio with Michael Kenney adding some classy string patches and dirty organ. Or, at the very least, let's actually see him on stage.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3674 on: March 12, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »
Granted I don't have the history of the entire reunion discography under my belt for context.  But to me, TFF sound incredibly relevant.  If their next album were basically TFF-2, I would have zero problem with that.  Just because a given formula has been done before does not necessarily make it stale and irrelevant as long as the band is enthusiastic about it. 

Joe, I also have to say to you that I now completely get where you were coming from when you labeled En Vivo the "definitive" Maiden live DVD.  I still stand by my comment that, in general, it's a bit odd and out of place to cast that label on a live set that so heavily emphasizes new material over a band's "classic" material.  However, from my brief exposure to Maiden, I agree thta that show encapsulates everything that is truly the essence of this band.