Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 435955 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3605 on: March 10, 2013, 08:19:25 AM »
Really?  The intro is a huge part of why I like the song so much.

The intro puts me off the whole album. Weird, I know.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3606 on: March 10, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »
Yeah, I wish the intro didn't exist.  Plus, Nicko's awfully cut and pasted kick drum is horrible.
Not Nicko, it's a drum machine.

The intro is cool but they using parts from a demo was a mistake. Can't stand the title track.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3607 on: March 10, 2013, 02:54:51 PM »
Yeah, I wish the intro didn't exist.  Plus, Nicko's awfully cut and pasted kick drum is horrible.
Not Nicko, it's a drum machine.

Really?  I have never heard that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3608 on: March 10, 2013, 08:55:19 PM »
Well it was mentioned in an interview and it's also somewhat obvious. It's a drum loop programmed by H. Give it a close listen (with headphones) and you'll probably be able to tell.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3609 on: March 10, 2013, 09:11:54 PM »
Fair enough.  I thought it was just Nicko doing a few drum kicks and then it was looped but done poorly.  I don't know why Nicko just didn't get the double kicks out and did it that way.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3610 on: March 10, 2013, 10:04:08 PM »
Yeah, I was seriously disappointed in the intro.  The looping in particular is really poor; every four measures or so, there's a noticeable stutter.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #3611 on: March 10, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »
Fair enough.  I thought it was just Nicko doing a few drum kicks and then it was looped but done poorly.  I don't know why Nicko just didn't get the double kicks out and did it that way.

He's unable to play double bass..... he's tried it once (for the song Face in the sand from Dance of death) and couldn't keep the rhythm straight for longer than 5 seconds.... so they programmed the double beat....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3612 on: March 11, 2013, 04:28:38 AM »
I have never heard that.  I know he doesn't like the double kick, but never heard that that drum line was programmed, adn that he simply can't play it.  The reason why they didn't play it live was that Nicko knew he couldn't keep that up live night after night, but never heard that about the studio version.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3613 on: March 11, 2013, 05:29:44 AM »
I believe that Steve liked the demo version enough that they never recorded it in the studio.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #3614 on: March 11, 2013, 06:23:09 AM »
Just curious... is anyone here a fan of Showtime's show Californication?  At the end of each episode, there's usually a melancholy acoustic cover song playing.  Watching last week's episode, I found myself singing the words, not really sure what the song was.  So, I rewound it to listen again.  Turns out, it was an acoustic cover of Maiden's "Wasted Years"!  It was pretty cool.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3615 on: March 11, 2013, 06:55:08 AM »

He's unable to play double bass..... he's tried it once (for the song Face in the sand from Dance of death) and couldn't keep the rhythm straight for longer than 5 seconds.... so they programmed the double beat....

Yeah, but his one foot is damned fast . . . I think they were just going for the vibe of the programmed, electronic sound. Futuristic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3616 on: March 11, 2013, 08:10:57 AM »
I don't know whether it is programmed because Nicko couldn't play it properly, if they just liked how it sounded, or some other reason.  I just know it's awesome as is, and I'm having a really difficult time understanding why people don't like it.  But whatever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3617 on: March 11, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »
For me, personally, I think the intro just drones on a bit too long.  I actually hacked it off the version I have on my iPod  :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3618 on: March 11, 2013, 08:40:37 AM »
I don't know whether it is programmed because Nicko couldn't play it properly, if they just liked how it sounded, or some other reason.  I just know it's awesome as is, and I'm having a really difficult time understanding why people don't like it.  But whatever.
I don't necessarily dislike it, but it is fundamentally unMaidenlike.

I do remember reading an interview where Nicko said that playing double bass was the hardest thing he'd ever tried to do and we'd absolutely never hear him do it again. What I don't get about S15 is that with Nicko's foot speed it sure seems like he could play it single kick.

I do get why they're using a pre-recorded version live, since that'd be a bitch of a way to start the show, although I'd rather see them open with something else anyway.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3619 on: March 11, 2013, 08:57:58 AM »

I do remember reading an interview where Nicko said that playing double bass was the hardest thing he'd ever tried to do and we'd absolutely never hear him do it again. What I don't get about S15 is that with Nicko's foot speed it sure seems like he could play it single kick.

I do get why they're using a pre-recorded version live, since that'd be a bitch of a way to start the show, although I'd rather see them open with something else anyway.

Bands frequently use pre-recorded intros like that for stuff that they clearly can play.  It used to bother me, but it has become so commonplace that I don't even really give it a second thought anymore.  For example, DT does it all the time with the intro to Metropolis.  Why don't they play that part live?  I don't know.  But, again, I've gotten used to it, so no big deal. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3620 on: March 11, 2013, 09:27:19 AM »
Hell, Maiden themselves have never played the intro to Aces High live.  :lol

And I like Station 15 myself because it's so un-Maiden like. Here's a band on their 15th album who spends a lot of their time getting hammered for sounding the same as always, and they open the album with four minutes of music that sounds like nothing they've never done before. This far into their career, that takes brass balls to do.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3621 on: March 11, 2013, 09:39:50 AM »

Bands frequently use pre-recorded intros like that for stuff that they clearly can play.  It used to bother me, but it has become so commonplace that I don't even really give it a second thought anymore.  For example, DT does it all the time with the intro to Metropolis.  Why don't they play that part live?  I don't know.  But, again, I've gotten used to it, so no big deal.
Depending on how it's structured it can work real well. You get the nice, clean and [comparatively] quiet intro followed by loud and rough metal. Kind of kicks things up another level. Still, if you've got a great intro, I'd prefer you actually play it.

Priest is the best example of this. They've used a pre-recorded Hellion for decades, and it makes Electric Eye really pop when they start into it. At the same time, Hellion might be the single best intro to any album/song, and it'd be nice to hear them actually play it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3622 on: March 11, 2013, 10:24:19 AM »

This is wrong.

1) Nicko can play a double bass pedal -- Face in the Sand has him using double bass, and that song is longer than 5 seconds. :lol
2) Face in the Sand is NOT programmed.  That's Nicko, using a double bass pedal.
3) Nicko can play double bass, he just doesn't like to.  He only used it on FITS because he couldn't quite get enough speed with a single pedal, and he didn't want to resort to programming the beat.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3623 on: March 11, 2013, 10:29:52 AM »
Face in the Sand is one of the best re-union songs IMO.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3624 on: March 11, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »
Ignore this post. Following thread. :birch:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3625 on: March 11, 2013, 10:45:53 AM »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3626 on: March 11, 2013, 11:02:43 AM »
Oh Nicko :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3627 on: March 11, 2013, 11:03:51 AM »
Classic  :lol.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3628 on: March 11, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »
With a new fart... :rollin
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3630 on: March 11, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »
BBC interview Bruce Dickinson ´Hard Talk´ (pt 1.) Pretty interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7myOt9N-UcA

Pt 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ec1dgs_c-0
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3631 on: March 11, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »
BBC interview Bruce Dickinson ´Hard Talk´ (pt 1.) Pretty interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7myOt9N-UcA

Pt 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ec1dgs_c-0

Yeah, I posted that a page or two back. Interesting stuff, especially the political angle. Bruce seems to think of himself more as an entrepreneur now.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3632 on: March 11, 2013, 12:57:32 PM »
Nicko can't sing either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmyoMTp60cE
Amazing. ''Lost me place again...''  :lol

I don't think the played the double bass on Face in the sand too well, he is precise but he keeps speeding it up. It's no wonder he doesn't want to bother with the double bass pedal.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3633 on: March 11, 2013, 01:20:49 PM »

And I like Station 15 myself because it's so un-Maiden like. Here's a band on their 15th album who spends a lot of their time getting hammered for sounding the same as always, and they open the album with four minutes of music that sounds like nothing they've never done before. This far into their career, that takes brass balls to do.

This is how I feel. I also agree with Kirk that it does drag on just a bit long, and I don't think it segues great with TFF.

But a great intro!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3634 on: March 11, 2013, 02:10:18 PM »
^yeah, if it were two minutes long I'd probably have left it alone.  I do give them credit, though, for trying something a bit different. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3635 on: March 11, 2013, 02:18:30 PM »
I do give them credit, though, for trying something a bit AWESOME!

Fixed.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3636 on: March 11, 2013, 02:20:21 PM »
I take it you're enjoying The Final Frontier?

I go back and forth between that one and A Matter of Life and Death as being my favorite reunion albums

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3637 on: March 11, 2013, 02:33:48 PM »
I really, really like TFF, but for me, AMOLAD is right up with Seventh Son, Somewhere in Time and Powerslave in terms of quality. The Legacy might very well be my favourite Iron Maiden song.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3638 on: March 11, 2013, 02:47:19 PM »
Just curious... is anyone here a fan of Showtime's show Californication?  At the end of each episode, there's usually a melancholy acoustic cover song playing.  Watching last week's episode, I found myself singing the words, not really sure what the song was.  So, I rewound it to listen again.  Turns out, it was an acoustic cover of Maiden's "Wasted Years"!  It was pretty cool.

Was it this version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8m1t2tpvH0

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3639 on: March 11, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »
I take it you're enjoying The Final Frontier?

Yes, very much.  I picked it up over the weekend.  Unfortunately, I spent virtually the entire weekend, including late into Friday night, stuck working at a computer.  We have a second computer at that desk as well, which I was using for music, and I had En Vivo going probably about half a dozen times this weekend (not counting the few times I just played Satellite 15/The Final Frontier over and over).  This album is absolutely fantastic.