Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436426 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3570 on: March 07, 2013, 07:15:15 PM »
I'm still fucking perplexed that Rime isn't in bosk's top 10.

What songs in my top 10 do you think don't deserve to be there?

The Trooper. Rime is my favorite Maiden song. So it's easy for me to rank it ;) I just feel like giving you shit. It's nice to see Fear... on that list. I think it's an awesome track.
Rime is not in mine either! :P

Nothing wrong with The Trooper. If you've only got 4 minutes to let someone know what Maiden is about, play 'em The Trooper!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3571 on: March 07, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »
Psh!  Saying The Trooper is not a top Iron Maiden song is almost as dumb as saying Aaron Rodgers was relevant last season.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #3572 on: March 07, 2013, 07:26:14 PM »
Psh!  Saying The Trooper is not a top Iron Maiden song is almost as dumb as saying Aaron Rodgers was relevant last season.

U WOT M8? ILL HOOK U RITE IN UR GABBER I SWARE ON ME MUM

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3573 on: March 07, 2013, 11:23:34 PM »
Then again, I'm the only one here who seems to think plenty of Bruce's live AND studio performances from the 80's are weak, too, so maybe I'm just used to it.

Nah, I'm right there with you. Bruce was a much better live singer post reunion. It's just the last tour (2012 Maiden England) he sounded tired and weak. Check out any of the performances of Wasted Years and compare it to any of them from 2009.  Night and day.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3574 on: March 08, 2013, 12:09:35 AM »
Any interest in a Maiden survivor? I'm up for running one.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3575 on: March 08, 2013, 12:51:10 AM »
Sure, I'd be on board. I guess Hallowed's gonna win, but it would still be fun.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3576 on: March 08, 2013, 01:57:16 AM »

of course

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3577 on: March 08, 2013, 02:01:30 AM »
Bring it on, my friend. I can't wait for it.  :corn

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3578 on: March 08, 2013, 02:05:18 AM »
Okay, I'm running one - I'm running free! :metal

First round is up: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36138.0
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:24:58 AM by Zydar »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3579 on: March 08, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »
That's one of the best live versions of that song ever   :metal

Great Bruce performance. Makes it all the more strange that I find parts of FF unlistenable because of Bruce straining with the vocals.
What I've heard from the last tour, Bruce sounded pretty weak consistently. Up until now the dude's gotten better every tour, but I think the years are catching up to him.

I dunno if I agree with that. He sounded much better when I saw him last on the reunion-heavy Final Frontier tour. I think Somewhere Back in Time was much harder on him.

Thankfully he doesn't have any reservations about overdubbing his live performances anymore so we still get great DVDs.

This got me thinking, do you think we generally hold Bruce to a higher or lower standard than a James LaBrie for example? LaBrie is only 5 years younger.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3580 on: March 08, 2013, 07:45:40 AM »
That's one of the best live versions of that song ever   :metal

Great Bruce performance. Makes it all the more strange that I find parts of FF unlistenable because of Bruce straining with the vocals.
What I've heard from the last tour, Bruce sounded pretty weak consistently. Up until now the dude's gotten better every tour, but I think the years are catching up to him.

I dunno if I agree with that. He sounded much better when I saw him last on the reunion-heavy Final Frontier tour. I think Somewhere Back in Time was much harder on him.

Thankfully he doesn't have any reservations about overdubbing his live performances anymore so we still get great DVDs.

This got me thinking, do you think we generally hold Bruce to a higher or lower standard than a James LaBrie for example? LaBrie is only 5 years younger.
I've been making that argument for ages. Granted, James has and will never be the showman that Bruce is, people online are really insanely critical of James LaBrie's live performances.

If you watch a handful of IM bootlegs from each era, you'll notice that Bruce had plenty of off nights, and sometimes even entire legs of tours were bad, but his reputation is pretty much impenetrable. James? Not so much. People dog him as soon as they hear him sing a little flat in a Youtube video.

It comes with the territory, I think. In the 80's, metal was still linked with hard rock 'n roll. No-one cared if things were a little gritty or off kilter. Bruce could belt, and he had great energy. Who cares if he belted the wrong notes sometimes? It's just rock and roll!

90's metal by comparison is much more pristine. Pretend operatic singers from the 80's found themselves replaced with real operatic singers, and actually touring and playing live shows became a lot less important than just releasing albums.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3581 on: March 08, 2013, 08:10:07 AM »
The style of singing is a lot less forgiving. When Bruce has a bad night singing NotB, it doesn't sound good, but it doesn't hurt your ears, either.  When LaBrie struggles it's often a total train wreck.

Something else to consider is that not everybody like's LaBrie's voice even when it's solid. The operatic style is an acquired taste, plus there's some Canadian showing through which also sounds a bit peculiar. Bruce, while good at what he does, sings in a fairly generic metal style. If you like that kind of music, then you pretty much like Bruce's voice. That, in conjunction with the style magnifying any faltering, makes it pretty easy to see how Bruce gets a pass and JLB doesn't.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3582 on: March 08, 2013, 10:38:55 AM »
JLB also plays in a band that strives for perfection. Not that IM don't want to play perfect, but they don't have the same fan base due to music genre that expects a perfect performance.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3583 on: March 08, 2013, 12:16:09 PM »
Anyone here a member on the Iron Maiden forums?  I need to ask a favor.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3584 on: March 08, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »

Maidenfans? Yeah. I haven't posted in ages.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3585 on: March 08, 2013, 12:34:08 PM »
I'm on Maidenfans too.

I'm not on the Official Forum as I think it is pay to play.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3586 on: March 08, 2013, 12:35:53 PM »
Yeah, it is. Maidenfans is not very lively, though. I've always wondered if the official is better. If anyone's in there, I'd love to know if it's worth paying for.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3587 on: March 08, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »
Basically, I am looking for someone who can post some of the album-relase info about Queensryche and about the Toronto show.  With Tate using the Queensryche name, there is a lot of confusion out there, so I'm trying to do my little part to get the word out so people know that the official version of the band is the one without him, and that they are actively touring and have a new album to release.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3588 on: March 08, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »
Yeah, it is. Maidenfans is not very lively, though. I've always wondered if the official is better. If anyone's in there, I'd love to know if it's worth paying for.

The official one is not better.  It's full of fanboys, which makes discussion pretty difficult.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3589 on: March 08, 2013, 12:49:13 PM »
Basically, I am looking for someone who can post some of the album-relase info about Queensryche and about the Toronto show.  With Tate using the Queensryche name, there is a lot of confusion out there, so I'm trying to do my little part to get the word out so people know that the official version of the band is the one without him, and that they are actively touring and have a new album to release.
Maidenfans is definitely aware of that. Not sure about the officials.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3590 on: March 08, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »
So..... This whole Getting Into Maiden thing is to push your Pro QR/anti Tate agenda!
 :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3591 on: March 08, 2013, 02:42:37 PM »
My IM fan club expired a few weeks ago. Its pretty lively over there but solely for IM, not for other music or general discussion. When they tour the US again I'll probably join again to get access to ticket presales.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3592 on: March 08, 2013, 02:51:16 PM »
My IM fan club expired a few weeks ago. Its pretty lively over there but solely for IM, not for other music or general discussion. When they tour the US again I'll probably join again to get access to ticket presales.
Cram, has it been worth it? Have you gotten good seats?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3593 on: March 08, 2013, 03:04:10 PM »
I shelled out the $12 or so to get early ticket access, and never once logged on to the actual site. And the tickets they presold sucked balls.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3594 on: March 08, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »

For me, totally. I got the GA tickets at MSG for the Maiden England tour and through the fan club I won the Heaven Can Wait contest and got to go on stage for the group chant at the MSG show for the Somewhere Back in Time show. I've heard other people not getting better tickets so I think its a mixed bag, but the membership gets you like two magazines a year, access to the online forum, they used to give exclusive "IMTV" videos during the tours which were awesome and access to Rod's diary, and access to the presale. So if you are a die hard like me, its worth it, and the fact that I got on stage makes it a no brainer for me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3595 on: March 10, 2013, 12:42:04 AM »
Okay, I think I'm going to have to revise my top 10.  Satellite 15/The Final Frontier and When The Wild Wind Blows are just off the charts amazing.  Color me blown away.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3596 on: March 10, 2013, 01:30:50 AM »
When The Wild Wind Blows is definitely in my top ten. Just a great song all around. I like the title track more without Satellite 15 attached to it, though. Can't stand that intro.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3597 on: March 10, 2013, 01:58:20 AM »
Really?  The intro is a huge part of why I like the song so much.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3598 on: March 10, 2013, 04:17:56 AM »
Yeah, I wish the intro didn't exist.  Plus, Nicko's awfully cut and pasted kick drum is horrible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3599 on: March 10, 2013, 04:43:20 AM »
The intro is just brilliant, it's always good to hear Maiden still doing new stuff 30 years later. And man, does it set the mood and build suspense perfectly, it worked fantastic live.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3600 on: March 10, 2013, 04:45:48 AM »
I've read somewhere that the intro was taken right from Adrian's demo of the song.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3601 on: March 10, 2013, 04:48:20 AM »
I think that's the main riff, actually.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3602 on: March 10, 2013, 04:49:00 AM »
Ah, that could be it.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3603 on: March 10, 2013, 07:25:42 AM »
Never got all the hate for the Intro, but I'm really glad that When The Wild Wind Blows is getting as much love as it deserves! Top 3 tune for me, most definitely.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3604 on: March 10, 2013, 07:39:10 AM »
I was pretty sure the intro was entirely Adrian, except Bruce who added in the bits of vocal.