Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436220 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3535 on: March 06, 2013, 05:42:26 PM »
Dance of Death (song) is pretty great.

Dance of Death (album) is....OK....it's got a LOT of filler-quality stuff on it, imho.

But the good stuff is REALLY good

Yup!

Yeah, I think that's pretty much how most people feel about the album.  It's probably the weakest reunion album on the whole, but the good songs (the title track, Paschendale, Journeyman, Rainmaker, etc.) are really fucking awesome.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3536 on: March 06, 2013, 06:19:19 PM »
It's really incredible how inconsistent DOD is.   

I will say though, the production is atrocious.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #3537 on: March 06, 2013, 08:13:15 PM »
Rime of the Ancient Mariner is a lot like playing What's New Pussycat? twice in a row.  It sounds like a really long song with a dip in the middle.

:lol :lol :lol

Yeah, the studio version sounds a bit flat imo. But hey, try this one......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AmrIydnXIs

You'll see why Adrian Smith is such an appreciated guitarist....  :tup

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3538 on: March 07, 2013, 07:24:19 AM »
That's one of the best live versions of that song ever   :metal

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3539 on: March 07, 2013, 07:30:50 AM »
Dance of Death (song) is pretty great.

Dance of Death (album) is....OK....it's got a LOT of filler-quality stuff on it, imho.

But the good stuff is REALLY good

Yup!

Yeah, I think that's pretty much how most people feel about the album.  It's probably the weakest reunion album on the whole, but the good songs (the title track, Paschendale, Journeyman, Rainmaker, etc.) are really fucking awesome.

Totally agree. And Montsegur, man, that song is f'in' RELENTLESS!!!  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3540 on: March 07, 2013, 07:33:17 AM »
I LOVE Montesegur! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3541 on: March 07, 2013, 08:30:02 AM »
That is a GREAT version of that song.  If it didn't have that dip in the middle, it was easily move up a few spots in my song rankings.  I just find that section so distracting.

AND WHY DID THEY HAVE TO PLAGIARIZE THE COUNT OF TUSCANY ANYWAY?  >:(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3542 on: March 07, 2013, 08:32:12 AM »
bosk: Would you care to list your Top 10 Maiden songs so far? It'd be interesting to see your favourites as a new fan (sorry if you've listed them already somewhere).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3543 on: March 07, 2013, 08:48:09 AM »
Hold on, I have to find it...

Okay, here we go:

Dream Team asked me in another thread if I had nailed down a top 10 yet.  That's tough to do, since I only have 4 studio albums and one live album.  But if I had to, I guess my top 10 would be:

1.  Revelations
2.  Alexander The Great
3.  The Trooper
4.  The Clansman (live)
5.  Dream Of Mirrors (live)
6.  Hallowed Be Thy Name
7.  Stranger In A Strange Land
8.  Fear Of The Dark (live)
9.  The Evil That Men Do (live)
10.  Sea Of Madness

To Tame A Land and Rime Of The Ancient Mariner just missed.  I can maybe do writeups on these later.  I'm a bit swamped at work right now.  And I know the live tracks may be odd choices, but I've never heard the studio version of those songs, and the live versions on Rock In Rio are just excellent.  So there you go.

I probably still stand by that ranking.  Only problem is, after now hearing and watching En Vivo, I'm exposed to more songs, and a couple of those might very well sneak in if I redo my top 10 in a few weeks.  The live versions I have listed above are from Rock In Rio, the only live album of theirs that I have (other than the En Vivo DVD, which I just picked up last week).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3544 on: March 07, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »
Nice! Great to see some love for Sea Of Madness, I love that one :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3545 on: March 07, 2013, 10:35:49 AM »
I assume you were already familiar with To Tame a Land from DT before your IM binge?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3546 on: March 07, 2013, 10:47:44 AM »
Yeah.  Good song.  And I like DT's version, although I didn't listen to it enough nor look up the lyrics to figure out what it was about.  Coincidentally, I just finished listening to that song right now and was thinking just before I went back to this thread that I should go back to DT's version and re-listen to it now that I'm familiar with the original.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3547 on: March 07, 2013, 10:52:32 AM »
My only issue with the DT version was that I wish the vocals at least we're recorded during the BC&SL sessions along with the other covers. James was incredible in those sessions. Not that he's bad on the actual cover, but the Covers Disc is one of James' strongest ever.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3548 on: March 07, 2013, 10:57:03 AM »
Replacing a guitar track with keyboards didn't work for me. JR did fine, as always, but it's still not the same without the twin leads.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3549 on: March 07, 2013, 11:04:44 AM »
I assume you were already familiar with To Tame a Land from DT before your IM binge?

I was like that, and b/c of that I vastly prefer the DT version.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3550 on: March 07, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »
So I'm sitting here listening to the Mansfield boot from last summer and I'm wondering if they will release a live album from the current Maiden England tour before we get a new studio album?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3551 on: March 07, 2013, 01:00:41 PM »

Great Bruce performance. Makes it all the more strange that I find parts of FF unlistenable because of Bruce straining with the vocals.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3552 on: March 07, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »

Great Bruce performance. Makes it all the more strange that I find parts of FF unlistenable because of Bruce straining with the vocals.
What I've heard from the last tour, Bruce sounded pretty weak consistently. Up until now the dude's gotten better every tour, but I think the years are catching up to him.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3553 on: March 07, 2013, 02:36:28 PM »
Rime of the Ancient Mariner is a lot like playing What's New Pussycat? twice in a row.  It sounds like a really long song with a dip in the middle.

:lol :lol :lol

Yeah, the studio version sounds a bit flat imo. But hey, try this one......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AmrIydnXIs

You'll see why Adrian Smith is such an appreciated guitarist....  :tup

I was at that concert in approximately the 3rd row (VIP GA). I've watched it so many times to see myself and I'm pretty sure I got a screenshot of me for a split second.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3554 on: March 07, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »
So I spent some time trying to come up with a ranking of the IM studio albums, but couldn't do it. I know what my favorite is, but the rest would have to be in tiers I think. Just too many great ones.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3555 on: March 07, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »

What I've heard from the last tour, Bruce sounded pretty weak consistently. Up until now the dude's gotten better every tour, but I think the years are catching up to him.

I dunno if I agree with that. He sounded much better when I saw him last on the reunion-heavy Final Frontier tour. I think Somewhere Back in Time was much harder on him.

Thankfully he doesn't have any reservations about overdubbing his live performances anymore so we still get great DVDs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3556 on: March 07, 2013, 02:53:57 PM »
Thankfully he doesn't have any reservations about overdubbing his live performances anymore so we still get great DVDs.
Does this happen?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3557 on: March 07, 2013, 03:32:03 PM »
Rock in Rio isn't overdubbed per se, but Steve did mandate that Bruce's vocals were "copy-pasted" in some parts to cover where Bruce let the crowd sing (one of the advantages of repeating choruses, I guess).  The TV bootleg was widely available so it was pretty clear his performance wasn't otherwise enhanced.

I've never got a hold of the bootleg of the Death on the Road show to compare, but it doesn't sound like there are any obvious overdubs on that album.

I can state pretty definitively that there are no overdubs on Flight 666, having listened to a majority of the bootlegs from that tour.  And that the album itself contained noticeable mistakes (like in "Wasted Years", where Adrian hits a wrong note in the intro and Bruce directly comments on it).

Haven't listened enough to En Vivo or the bootleg of that show to decide in that case.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3558 on: March 07, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »

I dunno if I agree with that. He sounded much better when I saw him last on the reunion-heavy Final Frontier tour. I think Somewhere Back in Time was much harder on him.
I think we're at cross purposes. I was saying he's been just fine up until the Maiden England show. That's where he sounded weak. Checked plenty of Youtube vids of it, and they all sounded weak.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3559 on: March 07, 2013, 03:35:49 PM »
Bart, there was something strange about the Maiden England show, I'll give you that.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3560 on: March 07, 2013, 04:07:46 PM »
Wait, which Maiden England show are we talking about?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3561 on: March 07, 2013, 04:19:24 PM »
Wait, which Maiden England show are we talking about?
Last summer's shows.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3562 on: March 07, 2013, 04:21:08 PM »
Ah. I just youtubed some clips from Maiden England shows.

I dunno, that's kinda what I remember him being like the last few tours. Sounds like the same Bruce as always.

Then again, I'm the only one here who seems to think plenty of Bruce's live AND studio performances from the 80's are weak, too, so maybe I'm just used to it.

The only thing that strikes me about Bruce's live performance now is that he's FAR less mobile than he was even 5-6 years ago. I think I first saw them when they did Ozzfest, and I remember Bruce running all around during that. Not so much at all anymore.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #3563 on: March 07, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »
I'm still fucking perplexed that Rime isn't in bosk's top 10.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3564 on: March 07, 2013, 04:23:48 PM »
It's not in mine, either. It might have been cool a long time ago, but now that Maiden have long songs on every album which are much more diverse and epic, the allure has kinda faded.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #3565 on: March 07, 2013, 04:25:06 PM »
Do you enjoy being wrong?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3566 on: March 07, 2013, 04:28:04 PM »
Then again, I'm the only one here who seems to think plenty of Bruce's live AND studio performances from the 80's are weak, too, so maybe I'm just used to it.

Plenty of off nights!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3567 on: March 07, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »

What songs in my top 10 do you think don't deserve to be there?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3568 on: March 07, 2013, 05:14:01 PM »
Ah. I just youtubed some clips from Maiden England shows.

I dunno, that's kinda what I remember him being like the last few tours. Sounds like the same Bruce as always.

The only thing that strikes me about Bruce's live performance now is that he's FAR less mobile than he was even 5-6 years ago. I think I first saw them when they did Ozzfest, and I remember Bruce running all around during that. Not so much at all anymore.

He must have slowed down in the past two years then, because when I saw them in 2010 he was all over the place, almost to the extent he was when I saw them on the Piece of Mind tour. Admittedly he wasn't running from point to point as fast, but good lord, who among us IS?  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #3569 on: March 07, 2013, 05:34:44 PM »

What songs in my top 10 do you think don't deserve to be there?

The Trooper. Rime is my favorite Maiden song. So it's easy for me to rank it ;) I just feel like giving you shit. It's nice to see Fear... on that list. I think it's an awesome track.