Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436115 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3500 on: March 01, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
And whether you've seen it or not, tons of people at the shows you went to were smoking.
I'm sure, but they were probably on the lawn or in the pit, whereas I'm usually in a seat. But that's only been at big shows I've been do, and really, at small metal shows, I NEVER notice much smoking going on. Today's metalheads aren't the same as the kind you grew up with, Barto. I see much more weed smokin' going on when I head to the annual folk festival. 

BTW, I'm sure the guy wasn't just taking a few quick hits, but doping pretty regularly, if Bruce actually was able to see it and call him out on it. Which leads me to my next point. Usually, people smoking cigs or checking phones or getting drunk bother me way more than dopers, since they usually continue the activity throughout the night, whereas a doper's more likely to be quick and discreet. When I saw DT, a guy lit up during "Voices" and that was it. That bothered me a lot less than someone spilling beer on me all night, or bathing me in their touchscreen's glow.
And I guess that's where courtesy comes into play. We usually sit down when we're smoking, and I'm pretty good about cupping it and holding it down low; for security and all. When sitting I exhale towards the ground and when standing straight up. That's to not bother our neighborinos. However, another reason for all of that is that if you make it obvious, there are always a couple of your neighborinos who want you to share it with them, and that's happening even today. While you might not see people smoking, I bet good money if you light up a joint, you'll have more people asking for a hit off of it than asking you to put it out.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3501 on: March 01, 2013, 08:50:28 AM »
Well, cool then. I guess we could go to an Iron Maiden show together after all  :tup

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3502 on: March 01, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »
Pretty interesting interview. Starts with Maiden stuff but ultimately becomes about Bruce the businessman. Looks like Bruce identifies as a conservative now. That's interesting as he used to be involved in labor, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7myOt9N-UcA

I can't really say I find any disappointment in that, though. Hearing Bruce out, he seems to be under the opinion that people could do way more without feeding cash to government coffers. The cornershop thing was a good bit. I doubt most people are as good or as conscious as Bruce, but Bruce himself would certainly fit the mold of the benevolent entrepreneur. I've always thought he seemed to have genuine integrity and that his no-nonsense approach would have allowed him to excel in whatever projects he started.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #3503 on: March 01, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
I picked up En Vivo...

HOLY FUCK

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3504 on: March 06, 2013, 08:03:32 AM »
I picked up En Vivo...

HOLY FUCK

I watched most of it last night (the main concert that is; haven't gotten to the documentary yet).  SO GOOD!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3505 on: March 06, 2013, 08:10:05 AM »
I'm so glad you guys are digging it. Rarely is it that things I suggest to people seem to go over so well. But I had peeps like TAC backing me up on this, too, which couldn't have hurt :P

It is hard to explain what makes En Vivo so awesome. You just gotta watch it to understand why Iron Maiden needed to put this DVD out, despite already having a plethora of other good ones.

That doc is good, not great. It mostly seems like outtakes from the Flight 666 film. I actually found it more interesting than that film, though :D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3506 on: March 06, 2013, 08:18:19 AM »
It is hard to explain what makes En Vivo so awesome.

Well, I can think of a few things (in no particular order):

1.  "50,000 f'in' Chileans!"  Yeah, huge crowds are nothing new for a Maiden DVD.  But this crowd is awesome, and they are definitely the 7th man that help make this show so awesome.
2.  The band are on fire.  They sound great, and they are having a blast.  It's hard to believe they are so energetic and enthusiastic onstage at their age.  But one thing I have learned in my short Iron Maiden education is that they are a band to be seen to truly be appreciated.
3.  The band sound great.  Yeah, I know I said that in #2.
4.  The set list is great.  I wasn't expecting to enjoy the songs themselves this much, since there was so much material I was unfamiliar with.  But it's a great set.
5.  Pacing.  The intro is truly incredible.  That has to be one of the best concert openers I have ever seen.  I wouldn't say it is the best, but it's definitely up there.  It sets the tone right from the start, and the pacing of the show from there just seems perfect.
6.  Picture quality is great, and really sucks you in.
7.  Cool stage.  Not as elaborate as some they have done, but it's cool.
8.  Blood brothers.  See point #1.

All that being said, I am definitely going out and buying The Final Frontier.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3507 on: March 06, 2013, 08:22:57 AM »
Yup, I agree with all that.

I also really love how "When The Wild Wind Blows" segues into "The Evil That Men Do". WTWWB is such a chilling and melancholic song, but TETMD is, too, except TETMD a much faster and more energetic depressing song, so when that last note from WTWWB fades and those opening leads from TETMD begin, I get chills down my spine every time.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3508 on: March 06, 2013, 08:34:44 AM »
I think you will really like The Final Frontier, Bosk. 

It's a solid disc, though I would prefer that they start writing some material in lower keys so that Bruce doesn't have to strain as much.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3509 on: March 06, 2013, 08:41:36 AM »
I think you will really like The Final Frontier, Bosk. 

I think so too.  After seeing En Vivo, it is a "must-buy."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3510 on: March 06, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »
You know what I hate?  That my favorite TFF song, Isle of Avalon, probably won't get played live ever.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3511 on: March 06, 2013, 09:18:59 AM »
You know what I hate?  That my favorite TFF song, Isle of Avalon, probably won't get played live ever.

Nor Mother of Mercy or Starblind. If a Maiden song is not played live on its album's tour, it will not be played at all. I can't remember any exceptions.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3512 on: March 06, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »

Yeah, that's a realy bummer. I bet it would be pretty cool live, too.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3513 on: March 06, 2013, 09:45:40 AM »

That doc is good, not great. It mostly seems like outtakes from the Flight 666 film. I actually found it more interesting than that film, though :D

The thing that I thought after watching the doc is that it is the greatest Thank You that a band could give its crew. It's something that is very cool. They always had pictures of their crew in their tour programs and I always that that was very classy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3514 on: March 06, 2013, 09:53:37 AM »
It is hard to explain what makes En Vivo so awesome.

Well, I can think of a few things (in no particular order)...

You know, I also need to add one other thing:

9.  Jannick.  I mean, come on.  It's a given that people go to a concert to have a good time.  But from everything I have seen, this DVD included, Jannick always looks like he is having so much more fun than should be legal for any one person to be having, and it's infectious.  During extended shots of him when he is cutting up, whether it be him slinging his guitar around all over the place, jumping around, doing some goofy dance, sparring with whichever version of Eddie is onstage, or whatever, when the scene cuts away, I frequently notice that I am smiling from ear to ear involuntarily.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3515 on: March 06, 2013, 10:33:19 AM »
On a different Iron Maiden topic, I'm still really enjoying Rock In Rio as well.  I've come to find at least something that I like about every track on the album, with the exception of two:  The Mercenary and Sanctuary.  The Mercenary is just so completely unmemorable that when it isn't playing, I can't seem to make myself remember a single thing about it.  Sanctuary just isn't very good, IMO.  By the time it is on, I find myself either wanting to skip ahead to Run To The Hills, or just change to a different CD.  Others' thoughts on these songs?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3516 on: March 06, 2013, 10:37:52 AM »
That's something with IM in general. They always seem to be having fun. I can say from being up close at two concerts and being on stage for HCW, that these guys always smile. If you see them live up close, its really awesome. It makes you feel really good that these guys enjoy playing for you.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3517 on: March 06, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »
Janick turned Maiden from a good live band into a great one.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #3518 on: March 06, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »
On a different Iron Maiden topic, I'm still really enjoying Rock In Rio as well.  I've come to find at least something that I like about every track on the album, with the exception of two:  The Mercenary and Sanctuary.  The Mercenary is just so completely unmemorable that when it isn't playing, I can't seem to make myself remember a single thing about it.  Sanctuary just isn't very good, IMO.  By the time it is on, I find myself either wanting to skip ahead to Run To The Hills, or just change to a different CD.  Others' thoughts on these songs?

You've pretty much got the right idea, IMO.  The Mercenary has always been pretty unmemorable -- it's one of those confounding setlist choices that I'll never understand, especially when they could have chosen a great BNW song like Out of the Silent Planet or The Thin Line Between Love and Hate.  Meanwhile, Sanctuary has always been something of a Maiden "classic", but it's not horribly great as an independent song -- I'll take Running Free over Sanctuary any day of the week.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3519 on: March 06, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »
Well I love the Mercenary and I think they chose it because its a standard IM sounding song so its safe.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3520 on: March 06, 2013, 11:06:56 AM »

IMO The Mercenary is the worst track on BNW and Sanctuary is one of those songs that's in the set for the historical/nostalgia value only - so completely agree. When you hear Brave New World you'll wonder why TM is in the set.  :huh:

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #3521 on: March 06, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »
Well I love the Mercenary and I think they chose it because its a standard IM sounding song so its safe.

I mean, even if they wanted some "standard" Maiden, Silent Planet or The Fallen Angel would have been much better.  Not that I'm complaining, by the way.  Rock in Rio has one of Maiden's better setlists.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3522 on: March 06, 2013, 11:38:37 AM »
Does anyone know if they have EVER played Alexander The Great?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3523 on: March 06, 2013, 11:44:15 AM »
All that being said, I am definitely going out and buying The Final Frontier.
That's great to hear, I hope you'll like it. Keep us updated. :smiley:

The Mercenary is just so completely unmemorable that when it isn't playing, I can't seem to make myself remember a single thing about it. 
It's a fun song that grows on you a little bit, but it's nothing special. What is great about it are the guitar solos on Rock in Rio. As for the rest of the DVD, I hope you enjoyed Sign of the cross. I read that you weren't too crazy about what you've heard from The X Factor, but many think the RiR version is far superior. It's a fantastic performance in my opinion.  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3524 on: March 06, 2013, 11:46:33 AM »
Next to the two I mentioned that I don't like, Sign of the Cross is probably at the bottom of my list.  I don't dislike it, but it's my least favorite other than those two.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #3525 on: March 06, 2013, 11:49:28 AM »

Nope, and they seem to have no intention of ever doing so, either.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3526 on: March 06, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »

:'(
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3527 on: March 06, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »

Understandable.  It does sound kind of dated.  And given its length, if it wasn't already kind of established as a fan favorite, I wouldn't really expect it to show up.  :(  I was just hoping maybe there might be a bootleg out there somewhere with it.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #3528 on: March 06, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »
Hey bosk, what do you think about Dance of Death?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3529 on: March 06, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
I'm having a tough time remembering the music at the moment, but what I do remember is Janick bouncing all over the place and the crowd just going nuts, which made it a TON of fun to watch.  And I remember liking it a lot--I just don't remember the music specifically right now.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3530 on: March 06, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »
Dance of Death (song) is pretty great.

Dance of Death (album) is....OK....it's got a LOT of filler-quality stuff on it, imho.

But the good stuff is REALLY good

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3531 on: March 06, 2013, 01:00:29 PM »

Dance of Death (album) is....OK....it's got a LOT of filler-quality stuff on it, imho.

Yup!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3532 on: March 06, 2013, 01:42:04 PM »

Yeah, pretty much nails it.

I have a difference of opinion regarding Janick. His live contribution musically is minimal, and when he does contribute it tends to clutter up the mix more than anything else. Three guitars really doesn't sound all that good live. I'd prefer two guitarists and great sound rather than than 2 guitarists, a clown and muddied sound.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3533 on: March 06, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »

Understandable.  It does sound kind of dated.  And given its length, if it wasn't already kind of established as a fan favorite, I wouldn't really expect it to show up.  :(  I was just hoping maybe there might be a bootleg out there somewhere with it.

It is the only "epic" song they haven't played and its like a cult classic for IM fans. Its a solid song but nothing great. I think it gets so much attention due to the fact it was never played.

I mean, even if they wanted some "standard" Maiden, Silent Planet or The Fallen Angel would have been much better.  Not that I'm complaining, by the way.  Rock in Rio has one of Maiden's better setlists.

I don't disagree as those are also good standard IM, but they did play both at other shows during the tour and decided to drop them for whatever reason.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3534 on: March 06, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »
Rime of the Ancient Mariner is a lot like playing What's New Pussycat? twice in a row.  It sounds like a really long song with a dip in the middle.