Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436299 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3465 on: February 27, 2013, 09:35:34 AM »
GP, you use that excuse way too much. People hate "No Prayer" because they group it with "Fear" and that was even worse. People hate "The X Factor" because they group it with "Vitual XI", and that was even worse. People complain about RiR's editing because they group it with DotR, and that was even worse.

Because of all the technical issues, I'd never even seen DotR until a few days ago, yet I've always been really annoyed with RiR's editing. Yes, people tend to notice small annoyances more when those annoyances cease to be small annoyances, and instead transform into malign flaws that permeate through everything the band do BUT, in this case, I think RiR is just poorly edited. I just tried watching "The Evil That Men Do" from RiR and couldn't believe how over the top the editing was. The song is already so intense, there's no need to give someone a seizure trying to capture that.

Since I've seen DotR now, I can say that, yeah-- it's even worse. There's not even a shot of Bruce singing a full line until like 10 minutes in. I just can't stress enough how happy I am that En Vivo had a director that wasn't named Steve Harris, that's all. Hopefully Maiden's best DVD is still to come, but for now I'm pretty damn satisfied with En Vivo.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3466 on: February 27, 2013, 09:42:07 AM »
Right, RiR is almost as unwatchable as DOTR.

Yeah the RiR stage is boring but the only thing that separates En Vivo from RiR and DOTR is its watchability. All three have great setlists unto themselves. And that footage from Dortmund. So glorious...and wasted.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3467 on: February 27, 2013, 10:27:52 AM »
I kind of agree with bosk that the editing kind of captures the energy. If you are sitting on your couch watching RiR or DotR then its difficult to enjoy, but if you stand up and rock out while watching either, they can be enjoyable because of the energy.

I also really like the stage show they do for Paschendale on DotR. The opening with the lights and gunfire and then bruce dying on the barbwire are awesome.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3468 on: February 27, 2013, 10:46:46 AM »
I kind of agree with bosk that the editing kind of captures the energy. If you are sitting on your couch watching RiR or DotR then its difficult to enjoy, but if you stand up and rock out while watching either, they can be enjoyable because of the energy.

I also really like the stage show they do for Paschendale on DotR. The opening with the lights and gunfire and then bruce dying on the barbwire are awesome.
Pro tip right there.  :lol I agree though!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3469 on: February 27, 2013, 10:53:11 AM »
So, Maiden England will feature History of Iron Maiden pt. 3, as well as the "12 Wasted Years" documentary.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:51:47 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3470 on: February 27, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »
GP, you use that excuse way too much. People hate "No Prayer" because they group it with "Fear" and that was even worse. People hate "The X Factor" because they group it with "Vitual XI", and that was even worse. People complain about RiR's editing because they group it with DotR, and that was even worse.

I think RiR is bad in this regard, but significantly better than Death on the Road which is inexcusably awful.  Maybe the lighting makes a difference though.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3471 on: February 27, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »
I haven't seen Death on the road in years, I borrowed the DVD to a friend of mine and haven't got it back since, but I remember really liking it. And never had I had problems with the editing of Rock in Rio, it's damn good rock and roll editing, very dynamic and powerful.  :metal

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3472 on: February 27, 2013, 02:42:33 PM »
I thought Rock In Rio was unwatchable years before I bought Death on the Road, so this notion that people are just saying "oh, it sucks because something else sucks" is totally untrue. They BOTH have shitty editing, and just as I think someone's needed to keep Harris from being co-producer on every one of the reunion albums, someone needed to keep him away from the DVD releases. En Vivo is miles better than either RiR or DOTR.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #3473 on: February 27, 2013, 02:54:16 PM »
So, Maiden England will feature History of Iron Maiden pt. 3, as well as the "12 Wasted Years" documentary.

Release date: Mar 25th. REALLY looking forward to this one.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3474 on: February 28, 2013, 11:10:27 AM »
Really random thing, but as much as I avoid compilation albums, From Fear To Eternity's album covers is one of my favorites in their discography. I just like the emerald green logo against the fiery background, with the tank chugging on through the trees. It's great.

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3475 on: February 28, 2013, 11:33:01 AM »
Great call, Nel!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3476 on: February 28, 2013, 12:07:57 PM »

I have Part One: The Early Days

But what is Part 2? 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3477 on: February 28, 2013, 12:11:16 PM »

But what is Part 2?

It's on disc 2 of Live After Death. It basically covers the Powerslave sessions and the World Slavery tour. I'm guessing pt. 3 covers Somewhere in Time thru Adrian leaving.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3478 on: February 28, 2013, 12:17:11 PM »
I can't wait to see Part 3!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3479 on: February 28, 2013, 12:17:49 PM »

But what is Part 2?

It's on disc 2 of Live After Death. It basically covers the Powerslave sessions and the World Slavery tour. I'm guessing pt. 3 covers Somewhere in Time thru Adrian leaving.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to buy that one at some point.  I have the CDs, but I never bothered with the DVD.  Thanks

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3480 on: February 28, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »
Yeah! Part I was really good. Part II was OK, but didn't really cover enough ground to be very interesting, basically as it just focused on World Slavery and Powerslave. Part III seems to be covering a lot more ground so hopefully it'll be good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3481 on: February 28, 2013, 12:24:31 PM »
I'll never forget reading that Adrian left. It is one of those moments where I remember exactly where I was. That whole night I was so bummed. I remover repeating...I can't believe it. I was happy with the choice of Jannick as he was close to the Maiden family already. Only made sense.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3482 on: February 28, 2013, 12:26:25 PM »
Yeah! Part I was really good. Part II was OK, but didn't really cover enough ground to be very interesting, basically as it just focused on World Slavery and Powerslave. Part III seems to be covering a lot more ground so hopefully it'll be good.
The only problem I had with Part II was that it was shorter than part I. Both are a lot of fun, though. Not to mention that Part II has the explanation for Mission from 'Arry, hilarious stuff.  :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3483 on: February 28, 2013, 12:26:33 PM »
heh, found the video on youtube   :tup

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3484 on: February 28, 2013, 12:51:32 PM »
lol, I never realized how many great Maiden vids are on Youtube. Here's Bruce telling some guy to put a joint out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfuzOxJuIsI

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3485 on: February 28, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »
Man, there are dozens of funny Maiden videos on youtube, I could browse around youtube all day and dig new gems. Those with Bruce being pissed off amuse me in particular. Here's another hilarious one, Adrian sneezes while singing backing vocals and the guys can't stop laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi_O-QLjpDM

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3486 on: February 28, 2013, 01:08:10 PM »
Really cool interview with Bruce and Dave from SSOASS era. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYrzR_4QBrs

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3487 on: February 28, 2013, 03:09:29 PM »
lol, I never realized how many great Maiden vids are on Youtube. Here's Bruce telling some guy to put a joint out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfuzOxJuIsI

He does that at almost every Iron Maiden show I've ever seen in the post-reunion age.  Which is kind of funny since he seemed to advocate smoking that stuff back in the 80's

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3488 on: February 28, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »

He does that at almost every Iron Maiden show I've ever seen in the post-reunion age.  Which is kind of funny since he seemed to advocate smoking that stuff back in the 80's

:dunno:  Likely that as he has aged, and has grown to understand how hard you have to work to take care of your voice as you get older, he has had to stay away from any kind of smoke.  And if it was something he did before, but has quit for awhile, he may be either genuinely repulsed by the smell now, or tempted by it.  Either way, understandable that he would rather not inhale it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3489 on: February 28, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »
Right, because being 50 feet away from it means he has to inhale it  :lol

I don't partake any more,  but frankly, at outdoor shows especially, he's just being a fucking knob  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3490 on: February 28, 2013, 03:33:29 PM »
...he's just being a fucking knob  :lol

Oh, that could very well be the case too.   :lol  I'm just saying, if he is hyper-sensitive to the smell for either of the two reasons I mentioned, I could completely understand.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3491 on: February 28, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »
Actually, someone let up at a Maiden show next to me last time I was there. A bunch of older dudes got pissed about it, and got security right away. These were big dudes, too.

Bruce is probably not just speaking for himself, but for everyone. He knows Maiden's got different fans now, even if some of them are the same people. He probably realizes lots of Maiden's older fans from the 80's no longer want to go to shows with all that going on, as is the case probably for lots of Maiden's younger fans.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3492 on: February 28, 2013, 07:51:21 PM »
I know Bruce didn't smoke in 85, at least not publicly. But yeah, I agree with Barry. Shut up and sing. I'm quite fond of the guy, but I know there are also instances where he's not such a swell dude. In this case, Bruce has been dealing with dopers for 30 years now; he should be used to it. Furthermore, that guy paid $100 to be there, and Bruce gets to cash a $30k cheque for that appearance. Let the guy enjoy himself, FFS.

Funny bit from the 7th Son tour stop in Ft. Worth:

Bruce: Everybody getting drunk tonigh?
Audience: YEEAAAHHHHH!
Bruce:You guys doing lots of drugs tonight?
Audience: YEEAAAHHHHH!
Bruce: Well you're all going to fucking die driving home tonight.
Audience: Huh? What?

Bruce:  THE TROOPER!

:rollin

edit: something else that occurs to me is that calling somebody out in public like that could lead to one of his fans going to jail. That's not cool, particularly coming from somebody in Bruce's position.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:56:47 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3493 on: February 28, 2013, 07:59:41 PM »
I know Bruce didn't smoke in 85, at least not publicly. But yeah, I agree with Barry. Shut up and sing. I'm quite fond of the guy, but I know there are also instances where he's not such a swell dude. In this case, Bruce has been dealing with dopers for 30 years now; he should be used to it. Furthermore, that guy paid $100 to be there, and Bruce gets to cash a $30k cheque for that appearance. Let the guy enjoy himself, FFS.

While that's true, the amount of dopers at Iron Maiden gigs is pretty low. In this case, Bruce seems to be looking out for the 15 guys standing around the one doper who are annoyed 'cause they don't want to have to put up with that when they go see Iron Maiden, at least not in 2013. I'd imagine lots of people who liked Maiden in the 80s and are seeing them again now probably fit that bill.

But yeah, I've never seen any indication that Maiden were really into anything besides heavy boozing. 

And maybe Bruce just likes people in the pit somewhat sober 'cause he's tired of getting beer thrown at him and crap.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3494 on: February 28, 2013, 08:55:49 PM »
Having been to upwards of 20 Maiden shows, I think I'm in a good place to say that's incorrect. Also, seems to me that the people who are still paying to see Maiden after 25 years are probably people like me who tend to smoke a little dope here and there. I suspect most of the old farts who gave up smoking got dragged by their wives to see Michael Fucking Buble, instead. Add to that, I've never seen a person who quit smoking grass that had an issue with anybody else doing it. Former potheads aren't the same as ex-cigarette smokers who throw a tantrum anytime they smell smoke. They certainly aren't going to whine about pot smoke at a concert. Hell, even Bruce recognized that was a real downer.

I'll also point out that from a nostalgia perspective, it deeply saddens me that we're actually having a conversation about whether or not it's acceptable to smoke a joint a fucking Iron Maiden concert. I really don't like what this society has become. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3495 on: February 28, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »
I've been to four Maiden concerts overall, and only once have I ever saw someone lighting up, and as I posted above, some other big tough dude went and got security right away to have the guy stop.

To be clear, I'd be just as annoyed with someone lighting a cigarette or checking their cellphone during the show. Yeah, to each their own, but one guy lighting up can be more of a drag for everyone else than an enhancement for his own experience if it means becoming an annoyance to everyone standing around.

I guess I wouldn't be cool enough for concerts in your ideal society, but I actually like the idea that I can go see a show without smoke being blown in my face, just 'cause the show itself apparently isn't enough for some people in the audience.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3496 on: February 28, 2013, 10:05:29 PM »
Lets not confuse someone blowing smoke in your face with somebody in your section smoking a joint. If someone were intentionally smoking you up, I'd suggest you punch them in the mouth. If you're just occasionally catching a waft of pot smoke, you shouldn't let it bother you. And whether you've seen it or not, tons of people at the shows you went to were smoking.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3497 on: March 01, 2013, 04:25:21 AM »
And whether you've seen it or not, tons of people at the shows you went to were smoking.
I'm sure, but they were probably on the lawn or in the pit, whereas I'm usually in a seat. But that's only been at big shows I've been do, and really, at small metal shows, I NEVER notice much smoking going on. Today's metalheads aren't the same as the kind you grew up with, Barto. I see much more weed smokin' going on when I head to the annual folk festival. 

BTW, I'm sure the guy wasn't just taking a few quick hits, but doping pretty regularly, if Bruce actually was able to see it and call him out on it. Which leads me to my next point. Usually, people smoking cigs or checking phones or getting drunk bother me way more than dopers, since they usually continue the activity throughout the night, whereas a doper's more likely to be quick and discreet. When I saw DT, a guy lit up during "Voices" and that was it. That bothered me a lot less than someone spilling beer on me all night, or bathing me in their touchscreen's glow.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3498 on: March 01, 2013, 05:13:03 AM »
As a pot smoker myself, I wouldn't bring it to a concert where I felt id be bothering people. The only real acceptable place is an outdoor concert with lawn seats or a concert with low attendance. I don't like bruce calling out people but if they are bothering him or other fans then its fair game.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3499 on: March 01, 2013, 06:20:11 AM »
Really random thing, but as much as I avoid compilation albums, From Fear To Eternity's album covers is one of my favorites in their discography. I just like the emerald green logo against the fiery background, with the tank chugging on through the trees. It's great.

Love The Wicker Man in the background