Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436119 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3430 on: February 21, 2013, 05:01:55 PM »
I dn't doubt you.  Even their bad songs are incredibly catchy, and this one is pretty good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #3431 on: February 21, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »
And as I've said a lot around these parts, go see Maiden live and if they play Blood Brothers, just TRY not to sing along with the chorus. It's impossible. When I saw Maiden in 2010 with DT opening, there were a good 20,000 people singing along with it.  :metal
I did the same thing with No More Lies. A blah, repetitive tune in general, but still a helluva lot of fun live.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3432 on: February 22, 2013, 01:49:36 AM »
I saw Blood brothers live twice and loved it both times, it's quite an emotional tune. No more lies, on the other hand, bored me as hell, thankfully Brave new world followed.  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3433 on: February 22, 2013, 06:57:32 AM »

Iron Maiden:  Making friends in difficult situations since 2009.
...and long before that, brother.

You have now discovered the magic of Iron Maiden!!!

Maiden United!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3434 on: February 22, 2013, 01:47:49 PM »
Thought of this today, to be filed under "boy time sure flies by quicker as you get older": Bruce and Adrian's 2nd stints with IM have already lasted longer than their 1st stints . . .

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3435 on: February 22, 2013, 08:56:41 PM »
Watching "En Vivo" for the first time. This is really freakin' good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3436 on: February 25, 2013, 06:51:11 AM »
Drive to Disney last week:

The Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
Powerslave
Somewher In Time
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
No Prayer For The Dying
Fear Of The Dark
Brave New World
Dance Of Death
A Matter Of Life And Death
The Final Frontier
Live After Death
Rock In Rio

The Drive Home this weekend:

Providence 1-25-91
Ipswich 5-8-83
Chicago 3-11-87
Donnington 6-10-07
Death On The Road
En Vivo
London 12-7-88
Live At Donnington 92 (Jannick RIPS on this!!)
Beast Over Hammersmith
Fear Of The Dark

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3437 on: February 25, 2013, 07:43:10 AM »
Very nice trip, two things though. It seems Bruce was the only vocalist and your ride home likely included 8 or so listens of The Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills, IM, and HBTN.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3438 on: February 26, 2013, 02:54:36 PM »
Drive to Disney last week:

The Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
Powerslave
Somewher In Time
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
No Prayer For The Dying
Fear Of The Dark
Brave New World
Dance Of Death
A Matter Of Life And Death
The Final Frontier
Live After Death
Rock In Rio

The Drive Home this weekend:

Providence 1-25-91
Ipswich 5-8-83
Chicago 3-11-87
Donnington 6-10-07
Death On The Road
En Vivo
London 12-7-88
Live At Donnington 92 (Jannick RIPS on this!!)
Beast Over Hammersmith
Fear Of The Dark

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Would you, or someone else, like to list the DVDs in order of preference? I have Live After Death and The Early Days only.

Thanks

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3439 on: February 26, 2013, 03:44:17 PM »
It kind of depends on the order in which you acquire them.  So many of them are essentially redundant.

Personally, there are three essentials:

Flight 666
Rock In Rio
The Early Days

After that acquire further ones based on what material you prefer.  But if you're a slightly savvier Maiden fan, you'll start collecting some of the best TV bootlegs.  Notably Ullevi 2005 and Rock AM Ring 2003, both of which I think are superior to any Maiden DVD (save perhaps Flight 666).
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3440 on: February 26, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »
It kind of depends on the order in which you acquire them.  So many of them are essentially redundant.

Flight 666
Rock In Rio
The Early Days

After that acquire further ones based on what material you prefer.  But if you're a slightly savvier Maiden fan, you'll start collecting some of the best TV bootlegs.  Notably Ullevi 2005 and Rock AM Ring 2003, both of which I think are superior to any Maiden DVD (save perhaps Flight 666).

What don't you like about En Vivo? Honestly, if you don't have any yet, I'd say that's made Rio and Flight 666 seem kinda obsolete.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3441 on: February 26, 2013, 05:54:29 PM »
En Vivo is great but for me, has a week set. It does have the best production of any IM concert though.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3442 on: February 26, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »
I like the set, but then again I like DoD and TFF just as much as BNW. The performances on En Vivo are much better than most of those on Flight 666 to my ears, especially Bruce. But while Rock in Rio has a great set, the editing just makes it unwatchable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3443 on: February 26, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »

Flight 666
Rock In Rio
The Early Days

What don't you like about En Vivo? Honestly, if you don't have any yet, I'd say that's made Rio and Flight 666 seem kinda obsolete.

No way.  Weak set list, and the band are just not that tight on this performance at all IMO.  Wasn't really a fan of Vivo.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3444 on: February 26, 2013, 07:44:22 PM »
Not tight?  :eek

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3445 on: February 26, 2013, 08:07:57 PM »
I don't know, the band just seems sloppier than usual to me.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3446 on: February 26, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »
Yeah, that amazes me.

But hey, different perspectives. Everybody has a different way to view the world.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3447 on: February 26, 2013, 08:09:27 PM »
I'll have to watch again and re evaluate, I never really gave it much viewing time.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3448 on: February 26, 2013, 08:35:13 PM »
If you've got the means, 5.1 Blu Ray audio. It sounds absolutely fantastic. I mean, it looks great, too. It definitely is the best looking DVD and best shot DVD, and is also the best sounding. Performances I guess are more subjective, but on a musical level Rock in Rio always has sounded like I have another TV on in the room tuned into white noise. I dunno if that's the mix, the band being sloppy, or what. I can hardly hear Bruce sometimes, too.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #3449 on: February 26, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »
YOUR TIME WILL COME
YOUR TIME WILL COME
YOUR TIME WILL COME
YOUR TIME WILL COME

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3450 on: February 26, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »
YOUR TIME WILL COME
YOUR TIME WILL COME
YOUR TIME WILL COME
YOUR TIME WILL COME

:metal I listened to that song daily a few months back when I got the album.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3451 on: February 27, 2013, 03:26:21 AM »
YOUR TIME WILL COME
YOUR TIME WILL COME
YOUR TIME WILL COME
YOUR TIME WILL COME

This is a prime example of the setlist of En Vivo being weak.  We don't need to see this, Dance of Death, 2 Minutes and Blood Brothers again.  All were represented on Rio or Death on the Road.  Coming Home and El Dorado were weak Final Frontier picks also.  Talisman was cool, but we could have had, Starblind, Alchemist or even Avalon.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3452 on: February 27, 2013, 04:40:35 AM »
YOUR TIME WILL COME
YOUR TIME WILL COME
YOUR TIME WILL COME
YOUR TIME WILL COME

This is a prime example of the setlist of En Vivo being weak.  We don't need to see this, Dance of Death, 2 Minutes and Blood Brothers again.  All were represented on Rio or Death on the Road.  Coming Home and El Dorado were weak Final Frontier picks also.  Talisman was cool, but we could have had, Starblind, Alchemist or even Avalon.

Agreed on the second point but, as for the first, if you didn't have any DVDs, which performance would you direct people to first? DotR and RiR's seizure inducing film, or En Vivo's top-notch, professionally edited one?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3453 on: February 27, 2013, 04:51:39 AM »
To be honest, I've always loved Rio the most, but it's probably a nostalgia thing for me when it was released.  I can see where you are coming from though for a Miaden n00b, but what about Flight 666 perhaps?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3454 on: February 27, 2013, 04:58:37 AM »
To be honest, I've always loved Rio the most, but it's probably a nostalgia thing for me when it was released.  I can see where you are coming from though for a Miaden n00b, but what about Flight 666 perhaps?

Eh, no reunion material.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3455 on: February 27, 2013, 05:34:31 AM »
I personally would have loved the set to be what they played in the US tour before TFF was released which had a lot more songs from RiR and DoD but also had El Dorado, The reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, and These colours don't run.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3456 on: February 27, 2013, 06:02:32 AM »
The Legacy deserves a live-release, man....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3457 on: February 27, 2013, 06:14:51 AM »
I personally would have loved the set to be what they played in the US tour before TFF was released which had a lot more songs from RiR and DoD but also had El Dorado, The reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, and These colours don't run.

I saw that tour (with DT opening, natch) and that was a pretty killer set list they did that night.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3458 on: February 27, 2013, 06:32:53 AM »

Best you're going to get is the Globen FM broadcast, or the excellent Uniondale video bootleg.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3459 on: February 27, 2013, 07:06:08 AM »

I saw that tour (with DT opening, natch) and that was a pretty killer set list they did that night.  :metal

Yup, that was a dream tour for me. And for the set, it was kind of like a best of the reunion songs. If you were lucky and saw them early on the tour they even played paschendale and brighter than a thousand suns a few times.

Best you're going to get is the Globen FM broadcast, or the excellent Uniondale video bootleg.

It really bothers me that not a single song from AMoLaD hasn't made a live DVD release. The union dale show is really good quality but the place is like half empty and the performance lacks energy because of it.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3460 on: February 27, 2013, 07:15:37 AM »

Yup, that was a dream tour for me. And for the set, it was kind of like a best of the reunion songs. If you were lucky and saw them early on the tour they even played paschendale and brighter than a thousand suns a few times.

It really bothers me that not a single song from AMoLaD hasn't made a live DVD release. The union dale show is really good quality but the place is like half empty and the performance lacks energy because of it.

It looked like for a while that the Donington 2007 was going to be an official release, with rumours being that there would be bonus tracks from Maiden's two shows at the O2 in 2006.  Kevin Shirley mixed it and noted that he had done it on his site.  But since then it was shelved, probably due to a mixture of market saturation and the Donington performance not being that good.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3461 on: February 27, 2013, 07:30:24 AM »
My bet says they sit on it for 3-5 more years, and then release is as part of the "History of Iron Maiden" series. By that time, it'll already be a 10+ year old piece of Iron Maiden history.

I agree with cram that it would have been nice to get those pre-release sets, especially since they didn't pick the best TFF material for "En Vivo", but at least we got "Where the Wild Wind Blows". I would have easily traded "The Talisman" or "Coming Home" for "These Colors Don't Run".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3462 on: February 27, 2013, 07:55:30 AM »
Iron Maiden n00b chiming in here:  The first two official release shows I saw are Live After Death and Rock In Rio, and I like them both quite a bit.  Yeah, the rapid-fire camera switches in Rock In Rio can feel a bit tiring.  But it is SUCH an energetic show as it is, that that effect only adds to the energetic feeling for me, and I find myself not minding as much as the show gets going.  I REALLY like it a lot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3463 on: February 27, 2013, 09:16:55 AM »
Iron Maiden n00b chiming in here:  The first two official release shows I saw are Live After Death and Rock In Rio, and I like them both quite a bit.  Yeah, the rapid-fire camera switches in Rock In Rio can feel a bit tiring.  But it is SUCH an energetic show as it is, that that effect only adds to the energetic feeling for me, and I find myself not minding as much as the show gets going.  I REALLY like it a lot.

I feel like Rock in Rio gets undue criticism for it just because Death On the Road is soooooooo bad for it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3464 on: February 27, 2013, 09:29:14 AM »
Correct me if i'm wrong, haven't seen RIR in a while but i can't remember being that annoyed by it but i do remember very vividly getting sick from the rapid camera movment on Donnington Live 1992 and that was even on VHS!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls