Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436474 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3395 on: February 13, 2013, 01:16:38 PM »
My computer couldn't read the Enhanced CDs at all. I had to go to a friends house to rip them and then put them on a flash drive. Major pain in the ass. As far as I know, there's no way to disable the Enhanced content.

And if you get all of the 98 remasters, they form a picture of Eddie when you line them up.  :D
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3396 on: February 13, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »
My computer couldn't read the Enhanced CDs at all. I had to go to a friends house to rip them and then put them on a flash drive. Major pain in the ass. As far as I know, there's no way to disable the Enhanced content.

And if you get all of the 98 remasters, they form a picture of Eddie when you line them up.  :D

They were meant to.  But if I recall correctly, they fucked one or two of them up.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3397 on: February 13, 2013, 01:56:14 PM »
Yep, I have all of the remasters and the picture just isn't right. Who cares, they still sound awesome.  ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3398 on: February 13, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »
Wait...what exactly forms the picture?  I'm confused.  ???

Oh, and listening to my three new IM albums back to back just now, all I can say is:  happy birthday to ME!  :metal
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3399 on: February 13, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »
bosk1,  did you every try IM in the 8's.  I'm just shocked that with your taste of music you never got into them?  Very cool that you're into them now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3400 on: February 13, 2013, 02:51:51 PM »
In terms of the sound quality of those remastered CDs, here's a good comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5eHQH18PgQ

They suffer the same audio problems as most remastered CDs. On the surface it's tough to tell, but the proof is in Nicko's playing. His drums are so much more prominent and distinct in the original version. In the remastered CD, it sounds like he's playing behind a blanket. Which he is. A blanket of noise from louder guitars and basses and vocals stealing up his soundspace.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3401 on: February 13, 2013, 03:24:34 PM »
Does anyone know why Clive left the band?  Was he just not cutting it despite sounding like a monster in spots, or was there some other reason?

If I'm not mistaken, Clive left for personal reasons -- I think he was looking to retire from the music business (though he never actually did that).  The band was very, very happy with Clive, though, and I think Bruce said that he was actually a better drummer in some respects.
I believe it had more to do with the fact that Steve was put off by Clive's partying. Steve's thing is that as long as it doesn't affect performance, he's fine with it, but Steve was worried about Clive keeping everything under control.

Adding Nicko would really be the last piece to the puzzle.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3402 on: February 13, 2013, 03:25:21 PM »
I don't know much about the guys, obviously, but Nicko seems like he would be a total party animal.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3403 on: February 13, 2013, 03:28:58 PM »
I don't know much about the guys, obviously, but Nicko seems like he would be a total party animal.

Yes, ironically, that is true, but Nicko is far more professional and was always ON for the show. That's all that mattered to Steve. When you watch the History Of DVD's, they laugh about that very point. Clive was more destructive, and Steve thought it would affect the band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3404 on: February 13, 2013, 03:41:40 PM »
Okay, so I've had Media Player on my computer just going through the 3 new Maiden albums I have.  NOTB was first, then Piece of Mind, then Somewhere In Time, because I just hit play on NOTB, and it is just progressing through in order.  I'm working, and not paying really close attention.  And the volume is pretty low since I'm at work.  But I was thinking to myself a few seconds ago, "Hmm, Bruce sounds a bit like James LaBrie the way he's singing right here."  Then the chorus hit:  "CrucifYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!"  Yeah, "James LaBrie" is immediately after "Iron Maiden" in my play list.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3405 on: February 13, 2013, 03:43:10 PM »

Watch Flight 666. The guy is the most entertaining for sure.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3406 on: February 13, 2013, 05:10:45 PM »
Wait...what exactly forms the picture?  I'm confused.  ???

The spines of each cd case. I didn't buy the live album remasters, only the studio ones, so my collection doesn't quite have the full picture on it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3407 on: February 13, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »
OH!  Cool.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3408 on: February 13, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »
Clive was a great drummer. Monster foot speed. Nicko evolved into a very good drummer, as well, but it took him a while.  Check out The Early Days concerts to see Clive really do his thing.

I seem to recall Clive being sacked for his drinking. I know backstage after the World Slavery show in Dallas, Nicko was sitting on a cab drinking a fifth of Jim Beam straight from the bottle, so I suppose with Maiden it's only an issue if you make it one.

I know I had frustrations with enhanced CDs because of the crapware they install on them. Years ago I started disabling autoplay on any computer I set up. I believe that eliminates that issue. If you launch your regular media player and tell it to play the disk (or your rip software, I suppose) it bypasses the autoexec.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3409 on: February 14, 2013, 02:55:03 AM »
Okay, so I've had Media Player on my computer just going through the 3 new Maiden albums I have.  NOTB was first, then Piece of Mind, then Somewhere In Time, because I just hit play on NOTB, and it is just progressing through in order.  I'm working, and not paying really close attention.  And the volume is pretty low since I'm at work.  But I was thinking to myself a few seconds ago, "Hmm, Bruce sounds a bit like James LaBrie the way he's singing right here."  Then the chorus hit:  "CrucifYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!"  Yeah, "James LaBrie" is immediately after "Iron Maiden" in my play list.  :lol
:lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3410 on: February 14, 2013, 05:56:11 AM »
Clive was a great drummer. Monster foot speed. Nicko evolved into a very good drummer, as well, but it took him a while.  Check out The Early Days concerts to see Clive really do his thing.

I seem to recall Clive being sacked for his drinking. I know backstage after the World Slavery show in Dallas, Nicko was sitting on a cab drinking a fifth of Jim Beam straight from the bottle, so I suppose with Maiden it's only an issue if you make it one.

I know I had frustrations with enhanced CDs because of the crapware they install on them. Years ago I started disabling autoplay on any computer I set up. I believe that eliminates that issue. If you launch your regular media player and tell it to play the disk (or your rip software, I suppose) it bypasses the autoexec.

So true. Clive´s snarework is still unsurpassed to my mind. Watch ´Beast over Hammersmith´ if you don´t believe me.
Drinking has always been a factor with Maiden....but remember, the band was in a Crucial stage of their carreer at the time Burr was sacked. The same with Di´Anno. They just lost focus during touring and Steve, and more importantly,  Management wasn´t going to let that happen. Not then. Maiden was a goldmine, off course. I don´t know any band with a sting like NOTB, POM, Powerslave, 7th Son > Somewhere in time.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3411 on: February 14, 2013, 07:24:38 AM »
 Yea. I don't know of any band that had a consistent release of those caliber of albums in such a short time span while touring non stop.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3412 on: February 14, 2013, 08:43:13 AM »
Found this little interview with Bruce and Dee Snider from 1985:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzEOhivDfRQ

:rollin
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3413 on: February 14, 2013, 09:43:17 AM »
Yea. I don't know of any band that had a consistent release of those caliber of albums in such a short time span while touring non stop.
Oh yeah, there was no waiting 3 years between albums.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3414 on: February 16, 2013, 05:02:48 AM »

Rush.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #3415 on: February 16, 2013, 05:06:03 AM »

Rush.

One Direction.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3416 on: February 16, 2013, 06:54:46 AM »

Rush.
Well done. Although we probably disagree on which five albums we're talking about. For me it's actually six albums - from Hemispheres up to Power windows. Wow, this is the first time I realize someone has a bigger streak of fantastic albums than Maiden.  :blush Sorry Maiden, I still love you the most.  :heart

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3417 on: February 16, 2013, 07:00:17 AM »

Rush.

One Direction.

Their first album was OK, but the second is boring, so no.

my sister is a huge fan, so I have heard a lot of them

Well done. Although we probably disagree on which five albums we're talking about.

For me it is from 2112 to Hold Your Fire, which makes it nine  :biggrin:.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #3418 on: February 16, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »

Rush.

One Direction.

Yeah, I feel so sorry for you, bro.....  :'(

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3419 on: February 17, 2013, 06:49:12 AM »

Rush.

One Direction.

Yeah, I feel so sorry for you, bro.....  :'(

I can cope with them (the guys actually can sing) and I am really grateful that she isn't a Justin Bieber fan!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3420 on: February 20, 2013, 04:06:56 PM »
This has been sitting for awhile, but should probably be posted.  Awhile back, I was working on a case for a large client, and there was a particularly high-up management-level employee named Steve Harris who had been involved tangentially in some of the events that were relevant to the lawsuit (he wasn't directly involved in anything major, but it was kind of inevitable that his name would come up at some point in time).  Since this is DTF, based on the information I have already provided, I'm sure many of you will arrive at the punch line of this story before I deliver it, but here we go anyway...

So a lower level management person who had more direct knowledge was being questioned in deposition, and I was there defending the deposition.  It was fairly early in the case, and I hadn't had much interaction yet with the plaintiff's attorney up to that point.  But he had a well-known reputation for being a condescending jerk who is impossible to work with.  At one point, Mr. Harris' name comes up, and the plaintiff's attorney asks some follow up questions about who Steve Harris is and what his involvement was.  Shortly after that, we took a break.  Out in the hallway, the plaintiff's attorney was walking by, and I just started completely laying into him about how unreasonable he was being, and how I can't believe he would ask such questions.  He was completely blindsided, and caught off guard, and was asking what he did that got me so upset.  In my most indignant voice I said, "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD ASK WHO STEVE HARRIS IS!"
Plaintiff's attorney:  "Uh...  ???"
Me:  "EVERYBODY KNOWS STEVE HARRIS IS THE BASS PLAYER FOR IRON MAIDEN!"
Plaintiff's attorney:  "Uh...  ???  ... :| ... ??? ...  :rollin"

We've gotten along great ever since.

Iron Maiden:  Making friends in difficult situations since 2009.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3421 on: February 21, 2013, 01:05:48 AM »
nice one!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3422 on: February 21, 2013, 02:23:07 PM »
This has been sitting for awhile, but should probably be posted.  Awhile back, I was working on a case for a large client, and there was a particularly high-up management-level employee named Steve Harris who had been involved tangentially in some of the events that were relevant to the lawsuit (he wasn't directly involved in anything major, but it was kind of inevitable that his name would come up at some point in time).  Since this is DTF, based on the information I have already provided, I'm sure many of you will arrive at the punch line of this story before I deliver it, but here we go anyway...

I thought it was going to turn out that the lawsuit was found to be bassless.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3423 on: February 21, 2013, 02:42:09 PM »
:lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3424 on: February 21, 2013, 02:44:37 PM »
lol, I know that feeling. It's hard not to like someone you wouldn't otherwise at least a little bit when you know they're a Maiden fan. At least for me it is. I feel like Maiden's more of a brotherhood than a band :D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3425 on: February 21, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS
WE'RE BLOOD BROTHERS

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3426 on: February 21, 2013, 02:58:21 PM »
lol, I know that feeling. It's hard not to like someone you wouldn't otherwise at least a little bit when you know they're a Maiden fan. At least for me it is. I feel like Maiden's more of a brotherhood than a band :D
Probably in the professional/mature environment... I know 50-ish local metalheads who are all obviously into and I still can't like them because they're braindead morons, but they're all my age or under :lol I imagine in ten years or so I'll be thrilled to meet fellow fans once again though.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3427 on: February 21, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »
NOW I'VE GOT THAT SONG STUCK IN MY HEAD!

:lemmeseeurwarface:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3428 on: February 21, 2013, 04:04:40 PM »
NOW I'VE GOT THAT SONG STUCK IN MY HEAD!

:lemmeseeurwarface:
Hey it's a great song :metal

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3429 on: February 21, 2013, 04:44:31 PM »
And as I've said a lot around these parts, go see Maiden live and if they play Blood Brothers, just TRY not to sing along with the chorus. It's impossible. When I saw Maiden in 2010 with DT opening, there were a good 20,000 people singing along with it.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.