Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436005 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3360 on: February 07, 2013, 04:49:51 AM »
Is it accessible somewhere on the net? I'd love to listen to that.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3361 on: February 07, 2013, 06:30:16 AM »
This has to be my favourite IM cover:

The amount of references in this is awesome!  :metal See if you can find phantom of the opera?

Btw here's all the references if your interested:

https://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/?url=album06_sit/sitzooms&link=albums&lang=eng
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:31:56 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3362 on: February 07, 2013, 06:33:37 AM »
Oh yeah :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #3363 on: February 07, 2013, 08:54:37 AM »
At first I thought the guy with wings was supposed to be a reference to the movie Brazil and I was pretty happy with myself for getting that.

Then I realized 'Oh yeah, they have a song about Icarus.'  :facepalm:

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3364 on: February 07, 2013, 10:51:47 AM »
So this has been my relationship with AMOLAD:

Purchase day: Eh, it's okay, but some of the songs are kind of long and plodding.

Two years later: What the hell, let's listen to AMOLAD...wow, this is better than I remembered.

Last year, on a long trip: Man, AMOLAD is even BETTER than I remembered.

Last night, working through the post re-union albums: JESUS FUCKING CHRIST THIS ALBUM IS AMAZING.

Talk about a grower.  :rollin

Have you heard the soundboard bootleg from the third (I think) Stockholm date on the AMOLAD tour?  They're the definitive version of the album for me.

No but I'd love to. Got a feeling it really comes together even better live.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3365 on: February 08, 2013, 08:23:52 AM »

The amount of references in this is awesome!  :metal See if you can find phantom of the opera?

https://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/?url=album06_sit/sitzooms&link=albums&lang=eng

I always loved that cover, although it was difficult to pick out all the details on the cassette version.   ;)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3366 on: February 08, 2013, 08:26:48 AM »

I always loved that cover, although it was difficult to pick out all the details on the cassette version.   ;)
Haha that's true but even on CD it's hard so LP is the way to go!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline philmcson

« Reply #3367 on: February 12, 2013, 08:46:23 AM »
Iron Maiden are gonna re-release their Maiden England '88 concert from Birmingham on DVD on March 25th. A bit too lazy to post the link from blabbermouth or ironmaiden.com but I'm a highly reliable person  :biggrin:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3368 on: February 12, 2013, 08:52:13 AM »
https://www.ironmaiden.com/maiden-england-88-concert-to-be-released-on-dvd.html

I'm very excited about this, especially about the documentary. I'm so gonna have this DVD.  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3369 on: February 12, 2013, 08:53:04 AM »
Iron Maiden are gonna re-release their Maiden England '88 concert from Birmingham on DVD on March 25th. A bit too lazy to post the link from blabbermouth or ironmaiden.com but I'm a highly reliable person  :biggrin:
You beat me to it!  :lol I was just about to!

Iron Maiden - Maiden England '88 Trailer

DISC ONE – MAIDEN ENGLAND ’88     
Set List:
Moonchild
The Evil That Men Do
The Prisoner
Still Life
Die With Your Boots On
Infinite Dreams
Killers
Can I Play With Madness
Heaven Can Wait
Wasted Years
The Clairvoyant
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
The Number Of The Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Run To The Hills*
Running Free*
Sanctuary*

*previously unreleased.

DISC TWO – THE HISTORY OF IRON MAIDEN PART 3
The History Of Iron Maiden - Part 3       
12 Wasted Years                                 
Wasted Years promo video                 
Stranger In A Strange Land promo video
Can I Play With Madness promo video 
The Evil That Men Do promo video
The Clairvoyant promo video

Edit: Damn you guys are fast!  :lol
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:59:30 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3370 on: February 12, 2013, 09:03:24 AM »
No question who edited the trailer video.   :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3371 on: February 12, 2013, 09:52:22 AM »
No question who edited the trailer video.   :lol
:lol
No shit, right?

I hope he doesn't mess with the original edit. This is a nicely shot concert.

Still have the Maiden England and 12 Wasted Years on VHS. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3372 on: February 12, 2013, 09:58:50 AM »
I wish there was footage from other concerts.  The Birmingham show is not Maiden at its finest.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3373 on: February 12, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »
I wish there was footage from other concerts.  The Birmingham show is not Maiden at its finest.
I would live to get the full Donnington show. The 7 or so tracks they released on Eddie's Archive sound great.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3374 on: February 12, 2013, 10:55:54 AM »
TAC, I dunno if you know, but most of 12 Wasted Years is on the The Early Days documentary now. Live After Death got a fair bit of the "Behind the Iron Curtain" show, too, on the bonus disc. So here's to hoping Maiden England gets something like that too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3375 on: February 12, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »
I have both. It's been a while since I watched 12 Wasted Years, but I didn't think they used the same material on The Early Days. They basically tell the same story, though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3376 on: February 12, 2013, 02:11:50 PM »
I still both of these on VHS, 12 Wasted Years is particulary enjoyable with some great footage, looking forward to this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #3377 on: February 12, 2013, 02:49:10 PM »
I'm mostly looking forward to the third sequel of their history as their late 80s seem a bit mysterious to me. Glad to soon be able to find out more! And yes, I have some VHS rip of 12 Wasted Years on DVD, it's a good documentary and nice they added it. Come March!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3378 on: February 12, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »
Awesome. Been waiting for this announcement for over a year at least.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3379 on: February 12, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »
Here's an interesting question:  What if Iron Maiden had NOT named their third album Number Of The Beast?  I mean, what if everything else was basically the same, but rather than naming the album and basing the cover art on that song, they went a different direction?  Yeah, they probably would still have caught some flak eventually for the song itself.  But I don't think the opposition from those who misunderstood the song would have been as vocal because there wouldn't have been something as blatant or obvious to rail against.  So I guess what I'm wondering is:  would that have ultimately helped the band, hurt them, or not mattered?  I know we're speculating, but I just thought it made for an interesting question.  On one hand, it could be argued the lack of such vocal opposition to the band would have helped them, because they wouldn't have had to deal with a dumb distraction, and a lot of potential fans who might have been put off by the whole number of the beast concept might have become fans.  On the other hand, maybe it would have hurt them because ANY press ultimately gets the name out there, which brings in new fans who are curious.  Thoughts?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3380 on: February 12, 2013, 03:43:57 PM »
I think the bad publicity definitely helped them. Kids in general want to do the things they aren't allowed to.  I think it definitely sparked an interest where as it probably would have taken more time for the music to speak for itself.

Anyway... WTF?!?! No blu ray?!?!?!

Offline philmcson

« Reply #3381 on: February 12, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »
Anyway... WTF?!?! No blu ray?!?!?!

They'll release the BR in some 20 years with some additional bonus material they are managing to hide from daylight, to cash in once again reward their loyal fanbase!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3382 on: February 12, 2013, 03:57:36 PM »
They'll probably be dead in 20 years.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline philmcson

« Reply #3383 on: February 12, 2013, 04:03:06 PM »
They'll probably be dead in 20 years.

The record company won't.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3384 on: February 12, 2013, 04:11:07 PM »
Here's an interesting question:  What if Iron Maiden had NOT named their third album Number Of The Beast?  I mean, what if everything else was basically the same, but rather than naming the album and basing the cover art on that song, they went a different direction?  Yeah, they probably would still have caught some flak eventually for the song itself.  But I don't think the opposition from those who misunderstood the song would have been as vocal because there wouldn't have been something as blatant or obvious to rail against.  So I guess what I'm wondering is:  would that have ultimately helped the band, hurt them, or not mattered?  I know we're speculating, but I just thought it made for an interesting question.  On one hand, it could be argued the lack of such vocal opposition to the band would have helped them, because they wouldn't have had to deal with a dumb distraction, and a lot of potential fans who might have been put off by the whole number of the beast concept might have become fans.  On the other hand, maybe it would have hurt them because ANY press ultimately gets the name out there, which brings in new fans who are curious.  Thoughts?

Bosk, that's a great question. Let's say the album was called Run To The Hills. I don't think it would have made one bit of difference, TBH.

They were early darlings of MTV. They had a cool name. Great vivid album covers. The lightning rod that is Eddie, that made them very identifiable. People saw others with Eddie patches on their jackets and it was like, "you like Maiden? Me too." So you would see them in an arena and it was like going to this giant club show.

Maiden's songs captured the imagination. There was no sex, drugs, and RnR in their songs. They sang about values like integrity and adventure. Their songs had club like energy with arena style hooks. It was really the perfect combination.

And even then, they were the best live band out there. I think TNOTB title may have garnered them a little attention, but when you heard them, saw them perform, and knew what they stood for, there should be no reason why they wouldn't have not been succesful.

Now, Maiden's popularity was helped by a lot of factors. As I mentioned, MTV loved them. The Media loved them.  Hit Parader, Circus, and especially Kerrang heavily promoted them. Somehow the Eddie thing worked. Ask Y&T how dangerous a move like that could be.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3386 on: February 12, 2013, 06:50:35 PM »
TAC, with that in mind, I still love Iron Maiden t-shirts. You wear one of those, and it's like you have the entire society behind you. It's impossible not to feel good about yourself when you're in a Maiden tee.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3387 on: February 12, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »
TAC, with that in mind, I still love Iron Maiden t-shirts. You wear one of those, and it's like you have the entire society behind you. It's impossible not to feel good about yourself when you're in a Maiden tee.
Amen, brother.
Perp, if I may ask, how old are you?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3388 on: February 12, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »
So TAC, the conversation about the title of the 3rd album is how I got into Maiden.  A neighbor of mine bought the album because of the devil on the album cover and the 666 lyric and all that jazz, and I got to listen to it and I loved the music and got it right away but the kid got it because of the perceived satanic stuff which was the farthest from the truth but it got me into them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3389 on: February 12, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »
Amen, brother.
Perp, if I may ask, how old are you?
25. When I entered HS, Maiden had released Brave New World. AMOLAD came out the summer after I graduated. I saw Maiden twice during that time, I think. I also rocked a Maiden tee under my uniform every day. I had like 4 or 5, so I could where a different one every day :D

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3390 on: February 12, 2013, 07:53:03 PM »
While I think TAC's assessment is solid, I'll add another perspective. The Bible thumpers who were so worried about Maiden would have found plenty of other reasons to be troubled, just like they did with any other rock/metal band, regardless of what they or their songs were about. NotB was just an easy target. If you parse lyrics well enough you can find all sorts of things to use to paint them as goat people, and if that doesn't work, then there's the old standby Rev 3:15-16. They're evil because they're not glorifying Jesus at every turn. Once they've set their sights to vilifying Maiden, the devout and/or brainwashed will buy into it without much question. A few others will turn rebellious and buy Eddie T-shirts. So NotB didn't have much effect on them being vilified.

As for what effect that would have, the answer is none at all. Hell, every rock and metal band was equally evil to these people (with the exception of KISS, who were somehow worse). Twisted Sister promoted rebellion against parents. Ted Nugent sang about banging hot chicks. Stryper projected overt sexuality. If you're objective, all of these bands actually had pretty positive lyrics, but it didn't stop the Bibile thumpers from condemning them. The publicity also didn't do anything to hinder them. The point here is that all bands of that era, regardless of lyrics or image, were playing on a level field. Maiden didn't get it any worse. Some did better than others because they actually were better than others. Maiden demonstrates that quite well. In their case, talent won out.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3391 on: February 13, 2013, 04:14:18 AM »
Great discussion! First off, I got into Maiden when I read a review of Killers, and bought it. Became a fan instantly. I mean, it wasn't just the album covers, the music, the logo....it was just the pure ENERGY that was so different then anything I'd heard before.

Also, the people behind this band are Smart. They know how to sell the merchandise, cd's/dvd's etc. They've had the luck of the draw with a fantastic coverartist (Riggs) at the start and the iconic figurehead Eddie. Want to do bright bandshirts? No, son, I'ts Black shirts, with bloodred logo, the rest is just filler. Because you know your fans are going to wear jeans and leather jackets. And it WORKS. Still does.

Imagine my surprise when I saw that fantastic cover for NOTB in the store, bought it, got home and then checked out the innersleeve. 'Wait...Bruce who? WTF happened to the singer??! Oh, his nickname's 'Air-Raid Siren' Oh well...Never looked back.

Also, religious fanatics also could look at song titles like 'Children of the Damned' 'Hallowed be thy name' etc, to get their rocks off. The fact is, even then, Maiden were getting a large following rapidly, and nothing would've stopped them at that moment, except for maybe, releasing progrock album.....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3392 on: February 13, 2013, 11:32:51 AM »
Confessions Of An Iron Maiden n00b, Pt. 1

So, as mentioned, I picked up my very first Iron Maiden album last week:  Piece Of Mind.  It is blowing me away. 

Yesterday at work, I found the entire concerts from Live After Death and Rock In Rio on YouTube, and listened to them, watching a few bits here and there in between projects.  After having done so, I am just flabbergasted that I somehow completely missed this band back in the '80s when they were on their rise. 

So after being floored by POM and these two live shows, on impulse, I swung by the Best Buy at my exit on the way home last night.  They had a decent selection:  Iron Maiden, Killers, NOTB, Somewhere In Time, and Fear Of The Dark.  I nabbed NOTB and Somewhere In Time and am familiarizing myself with them.

A couple of things I am noticing right off the bat with all three albums:

First off, the mix is excellent.  On these 1998 re-release enhanced CD's, are these remixed and/or remastered, or simply re-releases with bonus content?  Just curious whether the mixes on the originals sounded this good.  One problem I am having is that these so-called "enhanced CD's" are completely freaking out my work computer and locking it up when I am trying to rip them for listening at work, so I have to take my time and do it when working on projects that do not involve the computer.  Anyone else have this issue and know if there is some sort of workaround where the enhanced content won't throw the computer into a tizzy?

Second, the drumming really stands out to me.  (as does the bass work, but I've already commented on that)  Nicko is a REALLY good drummer.  Clive Burr was really good as well, but I can already pick out differences in their style, and I don't like how Clive tends to play just behind the beat.  I find it a bit distracting despite all the cool things he is doing.  That assumes that it is actually him playing on NOTB.  I assume it is, but it was also common during this time period for studio drummers to step in and record without being credited on albums.  Don't know if that was the case here.  Does anyone know why Clive left the band?  Was he just not cutting it despite sounding like a monster in spots, or was there some other reason?

More later...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3393 on: February 13, 2013, 11:41:27 AM »
Does anyone know why Clive left the band?  Was he just not cutting it despite sounding like a monster in spots, or was there some other reason?

If I'm not mistaken, Clive left for personal reasons -- I think he was looking to retire from the music business (though he never actually did that).  The band was very, very happy with Clive, though, and I think Bruce said that he was actually a better drummer in some respects.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3394 on: February 13, 2013, 12:37:33 PM »
Bosk, glad to see you discovering the awesomeness of Maiden. Somewhere in time is my favorite of thiers from the 80s and IMO, Nicko's best drumming is on AMOLAD (also my favorite album)