Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436346 times)

Offline Ruba

Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3290 on: January 09, 2013, 05:14:48 AM »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3291 on: January 09, 2013, 05:46:20 AM »
 :lol They are pretty accurate, especially the three amigos.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #3292 on: January 09, 2013, 06:20:17 AM »
new maiden > old maiden

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3293 on: January 09, 2013, 06:57:07 AM »
Adrian is spot on!  :lol

new maiden > old maiden
Plz explain your defenition of new and old Maiden?

Do you mean 80s and 90s vs today?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #3294 on: January 09, 2013, 07:09:09 AM »
Old Maiden: up to Brave New World
New Maiden: from Brave New World onward.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3295 on: January 09, 2013, 07:19:26 AM »
The classic era is vastly superior to the modern era of Iron Maiden.

Sure, they had a few duds there in the middle, but the run of albums from the self-titled debut up to and including Seventh Son is fantastic.  Nothing in the modern era really comes too close to that except maybe A Matter of Life and Death

There are definitely flashes of brilliance in the modern era, though.    But there are too many skip-worthy tracks on albums like Dance of Death and Brave New World

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3296 on: January 09, 2013, 07:24:45 AM »
Ahh ok, i thoughts so. Then it have to be:

old maiden > new maiden

I like BNW but i'm sorry, i haven't really been hooked on any of their latest albums. When we're talking about the golden era of Maiden, nothing can beat the albums they released during the 80s and no future album will.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3297 on: January 09, 2013, 07:25:50 AM »
The classic era is vastly superior to the modern era of Iron Maiden.

I agree wholeheartedly. I love the 80s albums while the 2000s stuff is very spotty for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #3298 on: January 09, 2013, 07:30:36 AM »
yes I know, the consensus is that the old ones are better, but I cannot resist the coolness of the new ones. I find old ones to be good, but sometimes with too much filler (at least filler to me) tracks. And I can't stand Somewhere in Time. I'm definitely not an average IM fan it seems.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3299 on: January 09, 2013, 07:34:53 AM »
yes I know, the consensus is that the old ones are better, but I cannot resist the coolness of the new ones. I find old ones to be good, but sometimes with too much filler (at least filler to me) tracks. And I can't stand Somewhere in Time. I'm definitely not an average IM fan it seems.

Have you ever noticed how old Maiden songs start straight off into awesomeness, and most of the new ones spend 2 minutes noodling around first?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3300 on: January 09, 2013, 07:42:48 AM »
Naw it's cool, i think alot of people how's first contact with Maiden was during the 80s or 90s will have a special connection to those areas and vice versa. Of course not everybody share that connection but i think it's a common thing that your first "love" will always be the most memorable no matter what.

But:

Quote from: He did not say that, right?
And I can't stand Somewhere in Time.
:omg:

What about:
Wasted Years
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
Stranger In A Strange Land

And freakin: Alexander The Great  :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3301 on: January 09, 2013, 07:48:33 AM »
Somewhere In Time is tied with Seventh Son as my favourite Maiden album :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #3302 on: January 09, 2013, 07:57:42 AM »

Have you ever noticed how old Maiden songs start straight off into awesomeness, and most of the new ones spend 2 minutes noodling around first?
Yes and I love that.
Naw it's cool, i think alot of people how's first contact with Maiden was during the 80s or 90s will have a special connection to those areas and vice versa. Of course not everybody share that connection but i think it's a common thing that your first "love" will always be the most memorable no matter what.

But:

:omg:

What about:
Wasted Years
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
Stranger In A Strange Land

And freakin: Alexander The Great  :metal
I got to know Maiden through their 80s stuff but when I heard the new albums I was amazed and since then it's my favorite IM "era".
About Somewhere in Time, I don't know why but every track on it just annoys me. It's pretty weird but I can't help it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3303 on: January 09, 2013, 08:10:26 AM »
Wow, Man-Erg, you are definitely an unusual Iron Maiden fan.   :jets:   It's cool, though. 

I was going through some pictures and found these from a jam session a few years back:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3304 on: January 09, 2013, 09:54:25 AM »
Those kittens are adorable.  :heart

As for the old Maiden vs new Maiden comparison... It's actually incredibly close. I honestly couldn't pick which era I prefer. 80s are full of timeless classics, but the stuff from Brave new world onwards is just so mature, progressive and epic, especially A Matter of life and death, which itself beats 5 out of 7 80s Maiden albums.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3305 on: January 09, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
Wow, Man-Erg, you are definitely an unusual Iron Maiden fan.   :jets:   It's cool, though. 

I was going through some pictures and found these from a jam session a few years back:

Cool T-shirt! Reminds me of the "Fuck Guns N' Roses here comes Metallica" T-shirt that was popular during the 90s!  :metal I remember in school, you had to choose which camp to follow, either GnR or Metallica!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3306 on: January 09, 2013, 10:12:10 AM »
Yngwie had a similiar shirt for the G3 tour
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3307 on: January 09, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »
Of course he had, we're talking about:

Yngwie "You've released the fucking fury!" Malmsteen

:lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3308 on: January 09, 2013, 10:35:51 AM »

As for the old Maiden vs new Maiden comparison... It's actually incredibly close. I honestly couldn't pick which era I prefer. 80s are full of timeless classics, but the stuff from Brave new world onwards is just so mature, progressive and epic, especially A Matter of life and death, which itself beats 5 out of 7 80s Maiden albums.
I agree.

Iron Maiden has never been better, particularly their last two albums.
I will also say that Death On The Road is easily my favorite live album from Maiden.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3309 on: January 09, 2013, 11:31:29 AM »
Oh, I definitely appreciate their modern material.  In fact, I'd call "A Matter of Life and Death" a masterpiece and rank it as high as any of their classic material.   I just don't think they've done anything that can really be held up to albums like "The Number of The Beast" as equal.  Close, maybe, but not quite.

I wonder if they're working on anything new?  Anyone know?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3310 on: January 09, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »
They're touring the Maiden England show through the summer festivals and then I believe they will turn their attention to a new album. I think we're looking at a mid 2014 release date IMO.

I think their reunion era albums are every bit as strong as the Classic era, save for NOTB.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3311 on: January 09, 2013, 11:49:28 AM »
Since BNW and specifically RiR is what got me hooked to IM, I favor the newer stuff but there is no doubt that the golden era of the 80s is amazing as well.

Also, En vivo may be their best overall video.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #3312 on: January 09, 2013, 11:50:40 AM »

Also, En vivo may be their best overall video.

Hmmmm. Flight 666 although it is a compilation of songs from different venues. But as concert video, Rock in Rio imo.....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3313 on: January 09, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »
RiR has the best crowd but the editing makes it hard to watch. DoD has a great stage show and overall feel to the concert but the editing takes away from it. Flight 666 is awesome but because it's all different shows, I don't feel the concert experience I guess. En vivo probably has the worst set of all 4 but the best feel overall if that makes any sense.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3314 on: January 09, 2013, 12:27:37 PM »
As far as the DVDs go, En Vivo is much easier on the eyes. The editing on RiR and especially DOTR renders them both basically unwatchable. It's too bad because the atmosphere is great on RiR and DOTR, to me, is the most gorgeous footage of the band that's ever been filmed.

I prefer the CD of DOTR because I've always found the audio to RiR somewhat muddy.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3315 on: January 09, 2013, 12:31:14 PM »
I have the upmost respect that Maiden are still going strong and still release albums that sounds like Maiden and not an updated version. There is no denial that Maiden have never been better live as the last 10 years. Somewhere Back In Time Tour was the best Maiden show/tour i've ever seen so when it comes to delivering they don't disappoint.

With all that being said every album after BNW have not been very interesting to me except AMOLAD but still even that album did not settle with me as the classic albums.  :-\

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3316 on: January 09, 2013, 12:50:43 PM »
Honestly the new maiden sound really started with the x factor but I guess since BnW was the reunite album that is considered the new stuff.

The x factor sounds (song wise) a lot like AMOLAD and TFF.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3317 on: January 09, 2013, 01:12:37 PM »
I would simply call X and XI as the Blaze era and BNW as a new start/chapter of the classic era line-up. I think Blaze and his voice really marks that era as a separate chapter even though the music may sound the same but it's not really that important how you label it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3318 on: January 09, 2013, 01:19:49 PM »
I have the upmost respect that Maiden are still going strong and still release albums that sounds like Maiden and not an updated version. There is no denial that Maiden have never been better live as the last 10 years. Somewhere Back In Time Tour was the best Maiden show/tour i've ever seen so when it comes to delivering they don't disappoint.

With all that being said every album after BNW have not been very interesting to me except AMOLAD but still even that album did not settle with me as the classic albums.  :-\

Somewhere Back In Time tour was, indeed, quite good.  BUT.....

Nothing can compare to how they sounded, especially Bruce, in the 80's.  He has a hard time hitting a LOT of those high notes these days and it was quite noticeable whereas when I saw them on the Powerslave tour, he was -literally- perfect.

One thing I do like better about their tours now is the 3 guitar attack.  Having that third guitar to play the rhythms during those twin harmony guitar parts really makes a HUGE difference in how they sound as a band live.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3319 on: January 09, 2013, 01:24:18 PM »
Ohh man you made me blush there!  :blush The things i would do to be able to experience Maiden live during that era.

The fact that you have seen them during The World Slavery Tour is just....:hefdaddy

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3320 on: January 09, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »
Hell, I saw them open for Judas Priest when Paul Di'Anno was still their vocalist.  1981 - I was 17 years old.  First time I ever drove myself and some friends to a concert, in fact.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3321 on: January 09, 2013, 01:35:57 PM »
<-----Fucking Fossil  :jets:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3322 on: January 09, 2013, 01:38:35 PM »
Hell, I saw them open for Judas Priest when Paul Di'Anno was still their vocalist.  1981 - I was 17 years old.  First time I ever drove myself and some friends to a concert, in fact.

Old shit!

First time I saw them Kirk, was the Piece Of Mind tour at the old Cape Cod Coliseum.
I was 14!!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3323 on: January 09, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »
Nothing can compare to how they sounded, especially Bruce, in the 80's.  He has a hard time hitting a LOT of those high notes these days and it was quite noticeable whereas when I saw them on the Powerslave tour, he was -literally- perfect.
Depends on when you saw them on that tour. You can watch Behind the Iron Curtain and Live After Death and see how huge a difference there is in his voice from the beginning of the tour to the end. By the time the Long Beach shows came around he was pretty much kaput.

That said, up until this last go around, I've always thought he sounded much better than he had in the past. The so-called Maiden England tour last year was the first time I noticed his voice sounding at all weaker. I actually considered that it might be the aforementioned end of the tour problems, but after watching some youtube videos from early on, he was just noticeably weaker in voice this tour.

One thing I do like better about their tours now is the 3 guitar attack.  Having that third guitar to play the rhythms during those twin harmony guitar parts really makes a HUGE difference in how they sound as a band live.
Most of the time it just seems to muddle things up, to me. I'd be pretty happy if Janick got the axe, myself.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3324 on: January 09, 2013, 01:53:59 PM »
I as well saw them with Di'anno once and than again post Paul but pre NOTB....they were playing the first 2 albums with Bruce as a way to introduce him the the fans

Saw them at least once every album up until Somewhere..than they kind of fell of my bands of interest list..just became 2 repetitive for me

Although I like some of the reunion material its still same old same old
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.