Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436162 times)

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3255 on: September 21, 2012, 03:34:36 AM »
:myungwoot:
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3256 on: September 21, 2012, 12:20:17 PM »
I really hope they're doing some indoor shows before the Summer festival circuit.  I'm knocking around a trip to Europe in the Spring, and I'd love to catch one or two of these.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3257 on: September 21, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
I've noticed that all the albums with the slipcase exteriors have finally been going from $15 to $10, so I picked up The Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, Somewhere In Time, and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son yesterday. Feels good to finally be getting more IM in my collection; all I had before was The Final Frontier.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3258 on: September 22, 2012, 06:17:08 AM »
I've noticed that all the albums with the slipcase exteriors have finally been going from $15 to $10, so I picked up The Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, Somewhere In Time, and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son yesterday. Feels good to finally be getting more IM in my collection; all I had before was The Final Frontier.
That's a hell of a haul! :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3259 on: September 22, 2012, 07:40:42 AM »
Might as well complete the collection; you won't regret it!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #3260 on: September 22, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »
I was collecting those slipcase ones for a while. I think I have Killers, NOTB, Piece, LAD, Powerslave, SiT, and Seventh Son. I don't remember why I stopped.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3261 on: September 25, 2012, 02:11:19 AM »
Quote from: ironmaiden.com
IRON MAIDEN IS THE FIRST ROCK BAND TO BE ANNOUNCED TO PLAY AT THE NEW NATIONAL STADIUM – FRIENDS ARENA – IN STOCKHOLM, JULY 13, 2012

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3262 on: November 16, 2012, 09:58:38 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3263 on: November 25, 2012, 01:17:02 AM »

Continuing on, a few days back I bought the following: s/t, Fear Of The Dark, and A Matter Of Life And Death. So now I've got about half the discography. So far, all the albums have been very good; it usually comes down to me liking about half the songs, and being sort of indifferent to the other half.

And then there's A Matter Of Life And Death. Holy shit. It's been quiet a while since I've been able to say I've loved every song on a single album, but every song on this album clicked for me. Especially amazing since I've been listening to all the IM albums I own this weekend and this came at the tail-end when I was getting weary. The only gripe I'd have (and it's very minor since I love every song anyway) is that a lot of the songs sound kind of samey. I mean, how many begin with that slow, acousticy build-up. At any rate, my favorite IM album so far, and could very possibly sneak it's way into my top 20 favorite albums ever.

I guess a little con is that I've owned The Final Frontier since it was released, always enjoyed it, but now it seems like a step down from AMOLAD.  :lol

Hoping to find more of the slipcase editions. I just noticed that when you put them together on the shelf, the sides are forming a picture of Eddie, so I really want to complete that.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3264 on: November 30, 2012, 07:30:59 PM »
AMOLAD is my favorite IM album so you are not alone.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #3265 on: November 30, 2012, 07:37:11 PM »
Yeah, AMOLAD was a very well executed experiment. Although, my fav is Brave new world, you simply hear the unleashed energy from Dickinson and Smith as they returned to the band......

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3266 on: November 30, 2012, 08:16:34 PM »
Coincidentally, I bought the rest of the albums I don't have today.  :lol Picked up BNW, DoD, NPftD and Powerslave in the store, ordered Killers, X Factor and Virtual XI off of Amazon.

It is... complete.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3267 on: November 30, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »
Enjoy although some of those are my least favorites  IMO.  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3268 on: December 01, 2012, 04:29:16 AM »
Congratulations, Nel.  :tup  :metal

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3269 on: December 03, 2012, 01:29:54 AM »
Great, welcome to the fold. I've been listening to IM since I first heard a 12" of 'Drifter' in '81 or something. Bought 'Killers' when it came out and became a fan instantly.

Having said that, to my eternal shame I must admit to have NEVER seen them play live. I did see them at a Mc Donalds in my hometown though, but that don't count.... :blush
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3270 on: December 03, 2012, 02:27:51 AM »
Welcome to Iron Maiden!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3271 on: December 03, 2012, 06:03:32 AM »
Great, welcome to the fold. I've been listening to IM since I first heard a 12" of 'Drifter' in '81 or something. Bought 'Killers' when it came out and became a fan instantly.

Having said that, to my eternal shame I must admit to have NEVER seen them play live. I did see them at a Mc Donalds in my hometown though, but that don't count.... :blush

Sadly your time is running out to see them as they are getting older and don't tour as much these days. You have to see them next time they come near you.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3272 on: December 14, 2012, 05:47:33 AM »
Iron Maiden - Bloopers Of The Beast Vol. I
24:56! That could have been the end for Nicko!  :lol

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3273 on: December 23, 2012, 02:06:24 PM »
Someone needs to explain to me why the fanbase doesn't like No Prayer For the Dying. I'm giving it a proper listen for the first time, and I'm really enjoying it.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3274 on: December 23, 2012, 02:17:46 PM »
I enjoy like it a lot, actually, but some tracks just drag it down. Public Enema Number One comes to mind, or the overrated Bring Your Daughter...

Other songs, like the title track, Holy Smoke and Mother Russia are all pretty swell and often go unappreciated, which is a shame.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline philmcson

« Reply #3275 on: December 23, 2012, 02:29:31 PM »
Other songs, like the title track, Holy Smoke and Mother Russia are all pretty swell and often go unappreciated, which is a shame.

True. If uncompared, it is a good album, but when you see it from the viewpoint of an 80s Maiden fan who has experienced Piece of mind with Nicko's awesome rattling, then epic Powerslave, progressive Somewhere in time and their concept album Seventh son of a seventh son, NPFAD is a downer. Also it was the first album without Adrian Smith after a long while, and let's be honest: Gers' riffs and solos never were as good as Adrian's, although Janick has also had pretty cool moments....

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3276 on: December 23, 2012, 03:47:38 PM »
Someone needs to explain to me why the fanbase doesn't like No Prayer For the Dying. I'm giving it a proper listen for the first time, and I'm really enjoying it.

Because TAILGUNNUH

TAILGUNNUH

You know, I've had that album for several years, really only to complete the totally hated but they don't sound bad to me remastered collection, and I don't think I've ever listened to it all the way through, but Holy Smoke was the only song I liked, and only because it was ridiculous.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3277 on: December 23, 2012, 04:42:48 PM »
I kinda listened to everything together, and No Prayer For The Dying and Fear Of The Dark just felt a bit weaker because they felt like a more hard rock kind of sound rather than the direction they were going down with Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son.

I still enjoyed a majority of songs on those two albums though.

X Factor and Virtual XI I have yet to actually sit through. All the anti-hype is kind of making me dread it.  :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3278 on: December 23, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »
The X Factor is sooo amazing and underrated that it's not even funny.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3279 on: December 23, 2012, 11:48:19 PM »
Yeah, I don't think you've seen much anti-hype for X Factor in this forum.  Most people here think at the very least it's a good album, and quite a few of us think it's great.  Virtual XI is a different story, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3280 on: December 24, 2012, 01:34:46 AM »
X-Factor has gotten a fair amount of beating since it's release but it really is a decent album imo. I love Man on the Edge!  :heart

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3281 on: December 24, 2012, 03:37:23 AM »
NPFTD is alright, not even close to 80s albums, but better than anything after reunion. The title song, Public Enema Number One and Run Silent, Run Deep are my favourite songs. Bring Your Daughter, on the other hand, is pretty much one of the worst Iron Maiden songs. Still it is better than Bruce's original version  :P.

Holy Smoke has my all-time favourite music video. If you haven't seen it yet, go and check it out.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3282 on: December 24, 2012, 03:47:25 AM »
X-Factor has gotten a fair amount of beating since it's release but it really is a decent album imo. I love Man on the Edge!  :heart
Falling doooown, falling doooown, falling dooooo-oooo-ooooown! :heart

I quite like Judgment of Heaven and I don't see it mentioned frequently.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3283 on: December 24, 2012, 03:50:38 AM »
I quite like Judgment of Heaven and I don't see it mentioned frequently.

Judgment of heaven is waiting for me
Waiting for me
Waiting for me
Waiting for me

YEA-YEAAAAAAH!!!!!!

Seriously, it is very good. I love the mid-section guitar melodies.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3284 on: December 24, 2012, 04:19:36 AM »
TXF = Best Maiden album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3285 on: December 24, 2012, 04:42:10 AM »
I think time has shown how incredible The X Factor actually is. I feel like, after the release of A Matter of life and death, The X Factor suddenly made sense. That album laid the foundation for what the Maiden have been doing ever since Bruce rejoined, but the absence of Bruce and a much darker and raw sound turned off too many fans that had refused to acknowledge the album for about a decade.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3286 on: December 24, 2012, 07:47:01 AM »
I agree with what everyone is saying about the X-Factor.  The album is really good musically.  I think it lacks in production and Blaze, while I do like his vocals on his solo albums, doesn't sound that great on this album.  I think when you see how The Sign of The Cross was on RiR, you can see just how good those songs really are.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3287 on: December 24, 2012, 08:07:48 AM »
I think Blaze did a really good job on TXF. His performance on VXI, on the other hand, isn't that impressive, mostly because the songs are too cheerful for his darker, deeper voice. But if anyone's not too sure about his vocals overall, his solo albums are an absolute must.  :smiley:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3288 on: December 24, 2012, 10:40:22 AM »
I think Blaze did a really good job on TXF. His performance on VXI, on the other hand, isn't that impressive, mostly because the songs are too cheerful for his darker, deeper voice. But if anyone's not too sure about his vocals overall, his solo albums are an absolute must.  :smiley:
Yeah, I agree with that, M. Especially Promise And Terror, a truly remarkable album after the death of his wife.

I've stated before that to me, TXF sounds like a demo of an album that could've been great. It is filled with some of the best ideas in the catalog, but I feel that a lot of the songs just don't feel completely worked through.
I'm in no say dissing it or saying it sucks, I just feel that it's a bit incomplete. Both in terms of writing and production. Like I said, it has a demo feel to it.
I think the intro to The Unbeliever is one of the coolest sections they have, but between that, the verse, and the chorus, it just sounds like a garbled mess. I believe the blueprint was there, but it just needed more refinement. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3289 on: December 24, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »
Ruba is right about the Holy Smoke video.  If you've never seen it, go to youtube right away.   If Silicon Messiah and Tenth Dimension had been released under the Iron Maiden name, fans would've hailed them as classics and Blaze wouldn't have gotten a bad rap at all.  I enjoy TXF and VX1 a lot though.