Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436375 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #3010 on: June 20, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3011 on: June 20, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »
Tour teaser video! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151082176853714

Unfortunately no new information: the set will be based off the '86-'88 era, they'll play most of Seventh Son including the title track, The Prisoner is confirmed, etc, but it's nifty to hear them rehearsing a few of the songs. Also, unless my ears deceive me, I also hear Running Free, which is basically a confirmation that it'll be played on the tour (nothing special really, but there you go).

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #3012 on: June 20, 2012, 04:13:41 PM »
Seriously guys... this is gonna be my first Maiden show and I'm PUMPED!!!! :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3013 on: June 20, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Hopefully they bring back Still Life, Killers and Die With Your Boots On
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3014 on: June 20, 2012, 04:34:30 PM »
I'm with Nick on this one.  I figure those are the three they'll cut to add FotD, Wrathchild and Heaven can Wait.  They've certainly surprised me before, but I figure this one will be more greatest hits than history revisited. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3015 on: June 20, 2012, 04:51:29 PM »
Seriously guys... this is gonna be my first Maiden show and I'm PUMPED!!!! :metal
Good for you man, i hope you have a great time! :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3016 on: June 20, 2012, 08:44:20 PM »
I'm with Nick on this one.  I figure those are the three they'll cut to add FotD, Wrathchild and Heaven can Wait.  They've certainly surprised me before, but I figure this one will be more greatest hits than history revisited.

You're probably right, but hopefully there are one or two more surprises.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #3017 on: June 20, 2012, 09:44:56 PM »
I'll be there tomorrow night. My first Maiden show.  :metal :hat
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3018 on: June 21, 2012, 04:31:47 AM »
Oh my God, they're actually playing The Prisoner! Is that a great news or what? :metal

I can't wait to see them next year...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3019 on: June 21, 2012, 06:49:08 AM »
Running Free? Oh brother..
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:06:22 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #3020 on: June 21, 2012, 09:10:52 AM »
I really hope some UK dates get announced later. I saw the Somewhere Back in Time Tour and really want to see this one! :D
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3021 on: June 21, 2012, 10:04:39 AM »

I gotta agree... they played it last tour. I hope that was just them playing around (in the video Bruce is clearly playing around while singing this) and that they won't play it.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #3022 on: June 21, 2012, 01:05:18 PM »

I gotta agree... they played it last tour. I hope that was just them playing around (in the video Bruce is clearly playing around while singing this) and that they won't play it.

I don't know, I'm okay with them playing it. It's a really tiny song, so they've still got plenty of room for exciting stuff.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3023 on: June 21, 2012, 01:25:08 PM »
They've got a long and deep catalog.  No way they can please everyone.  I'm just happy they're still doing these big tours.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3024 on: June 21, 2012, 01:32:48 PM »

I don't know, I'm okay with them playing it. It's a really tiny song, so they've still got plenty of room for exciting stuff.

When was the last time they played it as is? They usually add a long bass/drums and Bruce talking to it for an extra 3 or so minutes. Maybe if they play it this tour they will keep it to its original.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3025 on: June 21, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »
Certain tracks are what I call "bathroom break tracks"
 :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3026 on: June 21, 2012, 08:01:11 PM »
13 songs in tonight and the supposed "leaked" setlist has been right on.

A guy at MaidenFans just posted these pics from tonight's show.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:22:59 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #3027 on: June 21, 2012, 08:32:13 PM »
Is this the right setlist? https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iron-maiden/2012/verizon-wireless-amphitheatre-charlotte-nc-6bdf1ea6.html

If so, Christ, this is even more boring than I could ever have dreamed. They took precisely zero risks.

I'm happy about Phantom of the Opera, though. I've never seen it live. Also I really dislike Afraid to Shoot Strangers. I don't even know why it's there.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3028 on: June 21, 2012, 08:40:53 PM »
Yeah, I'm not even sure why they're referring to this as the Maiden England show.  It's a pretty standard greatest hits set.  They're not even playing Infinite Dreams.  Still, it's Maiden and they'll put on a fine show.  Would have preferred the actual ME setlist, though.

Something I will point out is that Maiden often replaces a song from the early dates.  Wouldn't surprise me if AFTSS gets swapped out with something else.  Unfortunately it'll probably be HCW.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3029 on: June 21, 2012, 08:44:04 PM »
Caved and looked, and I am kinda hating paperless ticketing at the moment, because I'd sell my ticket if I could.

Edit: First huge strike is, really, you couldn't fucking change out the horrendous live song Can I Play with Madness or the recently played Moonchild, Evil That Men Do, or Clairvoyant for Infinite Dreams, really?

And then of course there is only 1 song from SiT, and it's one of the two they always play, at least it's the good one and not the clear bottom feeder of the album.

Did I mention they are playing a bottom feeder with Can I Play with Madness?

And of course there is The Trooper, Run to the Hills, Number of the Beast, and Running Free, all of which need badly to be removed and replaced with things we haven't heard a billion times.

While Phantom, Afraid, and Prisoner are awesome, and having Seventh Son in is at least fresh, this is yet another case of Maiden playing it safe and playing a boring set when they could have used the opportunity to fucking blow real fans out of the water.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:51:35 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #3030 on: June 21, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
Infinite Dreams

Yeah, this is another really confounding thing. Infinite Dreams would have been a great way to keep with the Seventh Son theme and to play a song we haven't heard in a while. MAIDEN WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3031 on: June 21, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »
Caved and looked, and I am kinda hating paperless ticketing at the moment, because I'd sell my ticket if I could.
I wouldn't go that far.  It'll still be worth checking out, but it'll be worth less to me, though.  I was holding out for close seats, but now I'll probably lean toward cheap ones instead. 
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3032 on: June 21, 2012, 08:48:52 PM »
Oh, shit.  I hit refresh and now the encore is up, and that salvages a great deal of it.  Still not what I was hoping for, but no longer the extreme disappointment that it was. 
E.F. Benson

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #3033 on: June 21, 2012, 08:49:35 PM »
Oh, shit.  I hit refresh and now the encore is up, and that salvages a great deal of it.  Still not what I was hoping for, but no longer the extreme disappointment that it was.

Really? It's just more of the same, isn't it?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3034 on: June 21, 2012, 08:52:11 PM »

Really? It's just more of the same, isn't it?
No.  Two of those three are songs I'm quite fond of, and good live songs to boot. 
E.F. Benson

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #3035 on: June 21, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
So is that it? The severe lack of Hallowed confuses and infuriates me. [/Lrrr]

But seriously. I wouldn't care all that much if they had replaced those eight minutes with something good, but this setlist is somehow more generic than any Maiden setlist I've ever seen.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3036 on: June 21, 2012, 09:16:20 PM »
I don't generally bitch about setlists in specific terms.  I mainly just try to look at it as a breakdown of songs I hate, songs I'm indifferent to, and songs I really like, and either I like it or I don't.  Before it was something like 3/6/5, which for a band like Maiden is pretty weak.  Now it's more like 3/7/7 and I'm happier about it. 

I will say that it's nice they're getting CIPWM out of the way early.  After that it's a pretty decent run of non-weak material for a while. 
E.F. Benson

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #3037 on: June 21, 2012, 09:19:17 PM »
Out of curiosity and anger, I made this little chart. An X in each column indicates that it was played on at least one leg of the corresponding world tour. There's a lot of overlap, especially with the SBiT tour (which is to be expected). The only songs played tonight that haven't been played over the course of the last three tours are the few special ones that haven't been played for decades, which summarizes Maiden's approach to setlists pretty well.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #3038 on: June 21, 2012, 11:09:09 PM »
while i see the disappointment to some, but i dont mind since my first maiden show was on final frontier tour, when they barely played any hits.  i would have loved to see to tame a land, but i know im gonna love this show. i enjoy can i play with madness, so i dont mind this one

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #3039 on: June 21, 2012, 11:43:56 PM »
while i see the disappointment to some, but i dont mind since my first maiden show was on final frontier tour, when they barely played any hits.  i would have loved to see to tame a land, but i know im gonna love this show. i enjoy can i play with madness, so i dont mind this one
Yeah I'm gonna love this if they come to Aus!

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #3040 on: June 22, 2012, 01:09:58 AM »
Had an amazing time tonight! Feel honored to have been able to attend such a great show and these guys are just on top of their game and more energetic than many of the younger bands I've seen. I understand some people's opinions on wanting to hear more deep cuts but I'm glad to have seen them play a number of their bigger songs as well as songs they haven't played since 88' etc. I'll probably be on this concert high for a while, I was thoroughly impressed! :birch:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3041 on: June 22, 2012, 04:21:53 AM »
Yeah that's a pretty standard IM setlist but atleast i get to hear these for the first time live:

The Prisoner  (I love Steve's bas lines in that song and that chorus is fantastic!)
Afraid To Shoot Strangers (I been dying to scream the "HI" thing live in that song since i first heard it in A Real Live Time back in the days!  :lol
SSoaSS No other words than: :hefdaddy

Had an amazing time tonight! Feel honored to have been able to attend such a great show and these guys are just on top of their game and more energetic than many of the younger bands I've seen. I understand some people's opinions on wanting to hear more deep cuts but I'm glad to have seen them play a number of their bigger songs as well as songs they haven't played since 88' etc. I'll probably be on this concert high for a while, I was thoroughly impressed! :birch:
Cool to hear bro!  :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3042 on: June 22, 2012, 04:24:46 AM »
You disappointed people gotta be kidding me, I'm just extatic about this set list. Moonchild, The Prisoner, Can I play with madness, Seventh son of a seventh son, The Clairvoyant, Afraid to shoot strangers, Phantom of the opera, Wasted years... And all those pictures I found are fantastic, I love the set, some of those drapes are gorgeous.

No risk? If not playing Hallowed isn't a risk, I don't know what is.

I just can't wait for 2013.  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3043 on: June 22, 2012, 04:33:42 AM »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3044 on: June 22, 2012, 04:37:23 AM »
No Killers, no Infinite Dreams, no Die With Your Boots on, no Still Life.  Good to see 7th Son, Prisoner and Phantom.  But why play Strangers?  Great song, but one of the actual songs from the 7th son tour could have been put in instead.  2 Minutes needs a rest too.