Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436269 times)

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #2870 on: March 24, 2012, 03:42:16 AM »
Quest For Fire is a song I enjoy by maiden, even though it's simple it's fun. Also, it's fun to  play this and then put The Power Rangers.theme in the middle or after last chorus, I call it...Quest For The Power Rangers.

Still, it's better than Gangland.

Both Gangland and Quest for Fire have Bruce's highest notes ever.

Gonna pick up the DVD this weekend.  It's sad, because I'm normally so excited for a Maiden release, and this DVD to me is just....meh.  Just buying it because it's Maiden, don't see myself playing it more than a couple of times. 

If the setlist had more variation I'd be more excited. I'll probably pick up the blu ray when it's on offer later. The thing is though, even when Maiden put out something not as mindblowingly awesome as they always do, it's still pretty damn good :hat
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2871 on: March 27, 2012, 11:19:58 PM »
I got the blu ray in the mail today, just popped it in and only a few songs in and Im very impressed so far.  Sound is really good and the picture quality is great.  I got worried when it had the same warning as RiR and DOTR (could cause seizures) and while the shots are still somewhat fast, its not that bad at all.  The multiple shots on the screen at once are pretty cool, gives it replayability since you can watch something different and I don't think they are overused.  Also the crowd is nuts (as expected) and they dont sound too loud to take away from the music, just right.  Also, the intro to this is the best than any other DVD they have.  Maybe being a huge maiden fan has put fanboi goggles on me at the moment and I can take a more objective look later, but right now, this concert is AWESOME.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2872 on: March 28, 2012, 04:14:34 AM »
I might have to pick it up!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2873 on: March 28, 2012, 04:45:22 AM »
I picked it up last weekend, but haven't even unwrapped it yet.  :facepalm:  I'm actually more interested in the documentry.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2874 on: March 28, 2012, 09:48:34 AM »
OK, I've only watched one song, and this is still edited way too fast. I don't know what to say. It's better than DOTR, but WTF??
This sort of old MTV way of editing is terrible. The thing that you miss is the true joy and feeling that this bands emits. I suppose it's flashy and people like that, but my eyes must be too old. If the Documentary was not included, I might've passed on the DVD.
I held off on the CD so The Lovely Mrs. TAC would have something for my Easter basket in a couple of weeks.

BTW, I LOVE the split screens!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2875 on: March 28, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »
I got the blu ray in the mail today, just popped it in and only a few songs in and Im very impressed so far.  Sound is really good and the picture quality is great.  I got worried when it had the same warning as RiR and DOTR (could cause seizures) and while the shots are still somewhat fast, its not that bad at all.  The multiple shots on the screen at once are pretty cool, gives it replayability since you can watch something different and I don't think they are overused.  Also the crowd is nuts (as expected) and they dont sound too loud to take away from the music, just right.  Also, the intro to this is the best than any other DVD they have.  Maybe being a huge maiden fan has put fanboi goggles on me at the moment and I can take a more objective look later, but right now, this concert is AWESOME.
Seeing Maiden in South America is somewhat high on my bucket list.  Wouldn't mind visiting Brazil, and I have extended family in Argentina, so I'll have to do that sometime. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2876 on: March 28, 2012, 03:08:28 PM »
Well, it's amazing that after 30 years, I can still have an Iron Maiden epiphany.
I just finished watching the Behind The Beast documentary , which BTW, is every bit as good as Flight 666, except it focuses more on the crew.
Now Maiden have done a lot of these behind the scenes things before. It ends with the some of the band members thanking the Killer Crew. And then it hit me..the whole documentary was one big thank you to them. Giving the crew that notoriety that comes with these behind the scenes shots is wonderful. I just looked through my World Piece Tour tourbook, and it doesn't just have the crew listed. It shows their pictures, so after all these years, with so many of the same people, they are allowed to be recognized for what they are.

I just think that is all incredible.

It is what makes Iron Maiden a special band and one that is worthy and I am proud to call myself a lifelong fan.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2877 on: March 28, 2012, 03:26:47 PM »
Im really excited to watch the documentary, as a fan club member, you get access to IMTV which are a series of anywhere between 5-15 minute videos they post throughout a tour and they mostly focus on the crew and moving from city to city.  Between that and flight 666, I feel like I know a few on the crew.  I even was able to recognize some of them last time I saw IM in NYC.  The band has a lot of respect for those guys and I guess if you all fly on Flight 666 together, you get close over time.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2878 on: March 29, 2012, 02:36:25 AM »
Yeah, it's a great documentary. But didn't they say they also played south korea? Somehow that gig is suspisiously missing?

Also the 'we didn't have any major disasters' comment towards the end, after just having witnessed the tsunami in Japan was sort of...  :facepalm:

Furthermore though, it's an excelent dvd.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2879 on: March 29, 2012, 08:57:45 AM »
Ev Vivo shipped for me yesterday finally, so I'll hopefully get to watch it a few days over the weekend.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2880 on: April 09, 2012, 09:16:25 AM »
I ask this also here.

Is anybody interested in having an Iron Maiden survivor?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2881 on: April 09, 2012, 10:42:02 AM »
I'm interested.  :metal

The DVD is awesome as expected, by the way. I also really enjoyed the documentary.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2882 on: April 09, 2012, 11:14:58 AM »
Good.

Maybe I won't arrange one, because apparently you had that quite recently and Jirpo did the last one, so it should be OK to him.

But if there is much interest, maybe it'll get done.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2883 on: April 13, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »
Well here's a healthy dose of depressing. 

Where the Wild Wind Blows was loosely based on a a graphic novel, later turned animated movie, called When the Wind Blows.  Here it is.  It's fairly different from Ari's interpretation, but it's clearly what gave him the idea in the first place.  Strangely, his version is actually less depressing.

On a side note, nobody does black comedy like the English.  The dialog is actually pretty damned funny, which given how likeable the characters are and with the foreknowledge of their hellish impending deaths, is fairly remarkable. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9aHT-IlkHo&feature=related
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2884 on: April 13, 2012, 05:04:41 PM »
Yeah, I knew the story of that, Maiden's is a little different though.

I'd definitely be down for another Maiden survivor.

I enjoyed the concert but I haven't watched the doco yet.  The band play alright, but seem pretty loose and sloppy IMO.  Janick although plays the best I've ever seen him play on film.  His work on The Talisman is amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2885 on: April 14, 2012, 11:31:35 AM »
I kind of figured most people here were aware of the movie's existence.  I posted the link figuring that few if any have actually seen the thing.  And god damn is it grim.

Before I die I'm going to see Maiden in South America.  I've been in a few 50k+ crowds, and it's a hoot, but never anything like what those crazy bastards get up to.  Unfortunately, I don't have much of a desire to see SA itself, but I suppose I can find enough things to make the trip worthwhile.  Maybe catch a few shows on the tour.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2886 on: April 14, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »
Bart, thanks for the link. Not sure when I'll ever get a chance to watch it, but if I do, now I know where to find it.

Your dream of seeing Maiden in SA is nice. I almost went to Donnington in 92. Even went so far as met a travel agent. I don't remember why we didn't go through with it, but I definitely regret it.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2887 on: April 15, 2012, 03:01:46 AM »
I may be up for running another survivor :) I'll have a think about it.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2888 on: April 15, 2012, 06:25:24 AM »
I may be up for running another survivor :) I'll have a think about it.

Nice!

The Apparition wins.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2889 on: April 15, 2012, 07:28:23 AM »
Hey, here is Rush song of the day-club and was short-lived Metallica song of the day-club. How about Iron Maiden song of the day-club?

Offline adace

« Reply #2890 on: April 23, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2891 on: May 07, 2012, 07:04:01 PM »
https://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=173127

Adrian Smith mentions a possibility of writing shorter songs for the next album. Awesome to hear anything about a possible next album.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2892 on: May 07, 2012, 07:57:45 PM »
Yup the short songs thing has been mentioned quite a few times since TFF was released. I hope it doesn't happen though, I think it would be too forced, and I don't want another No Prayer/Fear of the Dark.   :|
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2893 on: May 07, 2012, 10:59:48 PM »
They should make an album with 8-10 songs with 45-60 minutes length. And only one over 8 minutes long song. And no more than one song with three minutes clean intro  :P.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2894 on: May 08, 2012, 01:56:39 AM »
I much prefer the proggy stuff... its been better than their shorter songs of late.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2895 on: May 08, 2012, 02:00:52 AM »
I much prefer the proggy stuff... its been better than their shorter songs of late.

Virtual XI has been their last album that I like a lot.

But yes, Gates of Tomorrow, The Mercenary and The Pilgrim aren't anything special. Though I don't like songs, where three riffs are played over and over again for 8 minutes. It's not prog! I like their REAL progy stuff, like Sign of the Cross, To Tame a Land and Alexander the Great (356-323 B.C.).

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2896 on: May 08, 2012, 03:21:37 AM »
I love VXI, but BNW, AMOLAD and TFF are my top 3 maiden albums.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2897 on: May 08, 2012, 03:24:21 AM »
I thought most fans liked the post-reunion albums. Brave New World is often praised, A Matter of Life and Death is also an album I've heard only positive things about. Dance of Death is an album I like, though I know some don't, and I guess people are a bit divided on TFF.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2898 on: May 08, 2012, 03:25:38 AM »
Yeah, DoD is one of their worst IMO, quite a few bad songs and only a couple of crackers (Paschendale, Rainmaker)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2899 on: May 08, 2012, 03:38:41 AM »
I'm one of those who doesn't care too much about their post-reunion albums. They all have some good songs, but I very rarely listen to the albums. I prefer their classic stuff, and I would like to hear an album with shorter songs.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2900 on: May 08, 2012, 03:49:24 AM »
Yeah, DoD is one of their worst IMO, quite a few bad songs and only a couple of crackers (Paschendale, Rainmaker)

I like DoD quite a lot actually, compared to how much others seem to care for it. One of the reasons might be that I spent a week at a friends house during the summer a few years ago, and I have very fond memories of gaming and listening to DoD, so every time I hear songs from it, I think about that happy week. :P
Gates of Tomorrow is quite a catchy tune that most people seem to hate, I think it's quite cool. But in terms of best songs, I'd say the title-track and Paschendale takes it. Journeyman is quite nice as well.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2901 on: May 08, 2012, 03:55:33 AM »
I thought most fans liked the post-reunion albums. Brave New World is often praised, A Matter of Life and Death is also an album I've heard only positive things about. Dance of Death is an album I like, though I know some don't, and I guess people are a bit divided on TFF.

I like every Iron Maiden album. I just like some more than the others.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2902 on: May 08, 2012, 02:04:09 PM »

But yes, Gates of Tomorrow, The Mercenary and The Pilgrim aren't anything special. Though I don't like songs, where three riffs are played over and over again for 8 minutes. It's not prog! I like their REAL progy stuff, like Sign of the Cross, To Tame a Land and Alexander the Great (356-323 B.C.).

It's not prog......... so?

I wouldn't call any Maiden album prog in the first place anyways.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2903 on: May 08, 2012, 05:29:15 PM »
Yeah me neither.

I like DoD quite a lot actually, compared to how much others seem to care for it. One of the reasons might be that I spent a week at a friends house during the summer a few years ago, and I have very fond memories of gaming and listening to DoD, so every time I hear songs from it, I think about that happy week. :P
Gates of Tomorrow is quite a catchy tune that most people seem to hate, I think it's quite cool. But in terms of best songs, I'd say the title-track and Paschendale takes it. Journeyman is quite nice as well.
Yeah Journeyman is a pretty good tune too. Gates of Tomorrow though.... ughh :p

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2904 on: May 08, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »

It's not prog......... so?

I wouldn't call any Maiden album prog in the first place anyways.
Maiden has approached prog several times. They got closest with Seventh Son before the reunion, and from BNW onward they've definitely been prog-tinged metal (though I don't know if I'd call them prog metal per se).