Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436114 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #2800 on: February 25, 2012, 06:35:58 PM »
Late to the generic setlist bitch-fest, but I'll still add a couple of things.  For one, it appears to be more of an American phenomenon, and that doesn't really surprise me.  A big chunk of the people who go to Maiden shows here aren't diehard fans, but just people who like to go to big metal shows.  These are the people who bitch and moan if they don't get to hear Trooper and Run to the Hills.  Because of them, Maiden only plays here during Summer fesitval tours, which are almost always greatest hits shows, and the historical gigs, which I think are great.  Recall that plenty of people complained about their last Summer tour (the DT gig), when they played mostly new stuff. That was one of my favorite Maiden gigs.

The other problem is that Steve Harris gets off on big anthemic sing-a-long numbers.  I'd prefer to never hear FotD again for the rest of my life, but the dude likes playing it.  Same reason we're stuck with Heaven can Wait.  You combine these two factors and we're going to continue to get greatest hits shows with a few songs that Arry insists on playing.  Sucks, but such is life.

As for the historical gigs, I don't consider those generic at all.  The Early Years had plenty of stuff they hadn't played in ages.  SBIT was patterned after a specific tour, so it stands to reason that it'd come off as same-old, same-old.  Still, there was a reason for it and as one who got to see the World Slavery tour, I was quite pleased. 

This one coming up probably will be a pretty generic one, however.  We'll get Infinite Dreams, but I'd bet good money Still Life gets replaced by one of the aforementioned singalongs. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2801 on: February 26, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »
I dont think catering to the Americans is true overall because IM have almost always played the same set worldwide.  However, I believe that the negative feedback they got from the AMOLAD tour in the US had lead them to switch the setlist on the third leg of the SBIT tour (the leg with only one US show) and it also lead them to not doing a real TFF tour in the US. This is all my opinion, not fact by the way.

Also, I loved the AMOLAD tour, it was very refreshing. But as I left, I recall most people bitcbing about the set and I was telling them to shut up.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2802 on: February 26, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »
Maiden is a band that usually ends up mainly playing the hits.  Obviously, not exactly going to please some hardcore fans, but it does work for many people.  I doubt Maiden's the only band that does that.  I mean, really, if you're going to see the Stones, I doubt they're going to be playing stuff off of Their Satanic Majesties Request or Voodoo Lounge, nor would most of the audience be coming to see songs off of those albums.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2803 on: February 26, 2012, 03:17:05 PM »
Maiden is a band that usually ends up mainly playing the hits.  Obviously, not exactly going to please some hardcore fans, but it does work for many people.  I doubt Maiden's the only band that does that.  I mean, really, if you're going to see the Stones, I doubt they're going to be playing stuff off of Their Satanic Majesties Request or Voodoo Lounge, nor would most of the audience be coming to see songs off of those albums.

They're not.  Most popular bands like that play their greatest hits all the time.  Heck, Rush even does it.  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2804 on: February 26, 2012, 04:51:11 PM »
The thing with IM is that they really only have a few "hits" they could definitely fill up thier sets with other songs and throw in a more obscure one but they dont, they will play the same stuff as usual. All you really need to do is look at thier live albums are you will see the same songs on all of them except the few ones from the new album at that time. Im a die hard so it doesnt stop me from buying them, but I know a lot of people dont buy thier live releases anymore because its just the same songs over and over.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2805 on: February 26, 2012, 09:52:15 PM »
I dont think catering to the Americans is true overall because IM have almost always played the same set worldwide.  However, I believe that the negative feedback they got from the AMOLAD tour in the US had lead them to switch the setlist on the third leg of the SBIT tour (the leg with only one US show) and it also lead them to not doing a real TFF tour in the US. This is all my opinion, not fact by the way.
It started much earlier than that.  The last real album tour they did in the states was BNW.  It was after that they decided not to bother with album tours here anymore.  We get summer festivals and possibly historical tours--both greatest hits affairs.  There were only two US cities on the DoD tour.  Eight or so on the MoLaD tour, and all in the NE.  And aside from the abbreviated Ozfest shows, only one North American show on the Early Days tour (which was fairly kick ass, BTW).  There were no official TFF tour dates here. 

If the rest of the world gets tours that we don't, you can't really say that they play the same sets world wide.  And for the record, I think it's more to spite America than catering to us.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #2806 on: February 26, 2012, 10:01:57 PM »
Gunna post this here as well :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RfU_R6_U9I&feature=share My Can I Play With Madness Drum Cover :)
May The Force Be With You.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2807 on: February 26, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »
I'm not well-versed regarding the various tours they did over the years, but I'm not surprised that most of the major album touring is overseas and the touring in the US is mainly hits-oriented.  Maiden lost a great deal of popularity in the US during the 90s, like many other metal acts, while remaining hugely popular in continental Europe and South America.  They're still probably more popular here now than say, 15 years ago, but not as popular as they are in Europe and S. America. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2808 on: February 26, 2012, 10:52:53 PM »
It started much earlier than that.  The last real album tour they did in the states was BNW.  It was after that they decided not to bother with album tours here anymore.  We get summer festivals and possibly historical tours--both greatest hits affairs.  There were only two US cities on the DoD tour.  Eight or so on the MoLaD tour, and all in the NE.  And aside from the abbreviated Ozfest shows, only one North American show on the Early Days tour (which was fairly kick ass, BTW).  There were no official TFF tour dates here. 

If the rest of the world gets tours that we don't, you can't really say that they play the same sets world wide.  And for the record, I think it's more to spite America than catering to us.

You are right about the DoD tour, forgot about that.  The Early Days Tour turned out that way because they weren't the main act so they couldnt play the full set except for the one date when Ozzy was sick.  In general though, they have played the same set world wide, but the point we agree upon is that they dont do the album tours in the USA.  It really sucked not getting a true TFF tour in the USA, although I would take the setlist the USA got over TFF set anyday, just would have liked to see the new songs live though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2809 on: February 27, 2012, 05:07:53 AM »
  It really sucked not getting a true TFF tour in the USA,
This!

This historical stuff is fine, but it really would've been nice to see the new stuff.

Seeing Moonchild on the SBiT tour was a great surprise, but if they knew they were doing the Maiden ngland tour, and assuming Moonchild will open the show, they missed a golden opportunity to play Caught Somewhere In Time. I would be SHOCKED if they played it on this tour.
Still, seeing Infinite Dreams and Seventh Son (can't wait to hear the 3 part harmonies in this!) will be worth the evening.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2810 on: February 27, 2012, 10:20:27 AM »
Yea the outro to 7th son with three guitars should be awesome. Same with infinite dreams.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2811 on: February 27, 2012, 11:53:19 AM »
It really sucked not getting a true TFF tour in the USA, although I would take the setlist the USA got over TFF set anyday, just would have liked to see the new songs live though.
Yeah, we actually did get a much better setlist than the Europeans did with the actual album tour.  Still,  I'd have liked to see a AMoLaD tour here. 
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2812 on: February 29, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »
Got two general admission floor tickets for the new jersey show thanks to the fan club presage this morning.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2813 on: February 29, 2012, 12:21:23 PM »
Ya know, if you're going to insist on non-transferable paperless tickets, it'd be pretty nice to not put them on sale 6 fucking months before the show.  There's absolutely no reason why they couldn't wait a few months before releasing them, and plenty of circumstances that could bite somebody in the ass between now and late August.  A little common sense goes a long way.   

As for the presale, they've been pretty worthless in the past.  I spent money to join their FC last time around, and it certainly didn't get me any closer to the stage.  I'm thinking this might be a week of the show kind of thing.
E.F. Benson

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #2814 on: February 29, 2012, 12:25:04 PM »
Got 3 tickets in section 108 row 3 seats 15-18 at the Scotiabank Sattle Dome In calgary for july 26th  :metal

pretty good seats if you ask me
May The Force Be With You.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2815 on: February 29, 2012, 12:45:41 PM »
Damn nice seats!

Tix here go onsale on Saturday.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2816 on: February 29, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »
They're playing an outdoor venue 1/2 a mile from where I live in June.  I'll just get "lawn" tickets and stand in the back.  This will be my 10th time seeing them live.   :hat

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2817 on: February 29, 2012, 01:11:53 PM »
They're playing an outdoor venue 1/2 a mile from where I live in June.  I'll just get "lawn" tickets and stand in the back.  This will be my 10th time seeing them live.   :hat
You live about 12 miles closer than I do! :D

I'm so happy they built that on ramp so I can head back on 495 South. The should've built that from the beginning. I know there was a house there.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2818 on: February 29, 2012, 02:56:15 PM »
Ya know, if you're going to insist on non-transferable paperless tickets, it'd be pretty nice to not put them on sale 6 fucking months before the show.  There's absolutely no reason why they couldn't wait a few months before releasing them, and plenty of circumstances that could bite somebody in the ass between now and late August.  A little common sense goes a long way.   

As for the presale, they've been pretty worthless in the past.  I spent money to join their FC last time around, and it certainly didn't get me any closer to the stage.  I'm thinking this might be a week of the show kind of thing.

I can say the fan club presale has gotten me in the front pit 2/3 of the time and the one time I didn't get it was because I was 15 minutes late. You gotta be online the moment they go on sale. Hopefully this time I can win first to the barrier.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #2819 on: February 29, 2012, 05:55:43 PM »
Camden, NJ - June 29th:

Sec 102, Row F, seats 20/21. I am pleased with these seats :D

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2820 on: March 01, 2012, 09:15:06 AM »

I can say the fan club presale has gotten me in the front pit 2/3 of the time and the one time I didn't get it was because I was 15 minutes late. You gotta be online the moment they go on sale. Hopefully this time I can win first to the barrier.
I can only go by my past experience, which was that the fan club tickets were the same ones offered two days later to the general public, and did not include the front/center section.  That was the case for Dallas and Houston.  This time around might be a bit different since they've included a front section pit, which wasn't there last time, but I don't feel like blowing $15 to find out after last time.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2821 on: March 01, 2012, 11:31:35 AM »
From what Ive read yesterday and today on the fan club website, you are right. It seems each venue is different and you arent always garunteed the best seats with the fan club presale.  I guess Ive been lucky, but I still think being on time for the presale is your best chance.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2822 on: March 01, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »
From what Ive read yesterday and today on the fan club website, you are right. It seems each venue is different and you arent always garunteed the best seats with the fan club presale.  I guess Ive been lucky, but I still think being on time for the presale is your best chance.
I'm also basing this on what I've learned from scalpers.  They blew off fanclub presales years ago.  They still have access to all of the passwords, so I'm sure a few of them checked in this morning, but for a show like Maiden they're only going to jump on exceptional seats, and those were very likely not made available to the FC. 

And to be clear, the seats I got last time around weren't bad seats.  I think in both Dallas and Houston we were offered something like row 15-20 on the left hand side.  Took those for Houston, and got front row of the second section back for Dallas (half the price).  I wouldn't really complain except that it cost money to get that stupid password, and 2000 other people got much better seats just by knowing (blowing) the right people.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2823 on: March 01, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
You live about 12 miles closer than I do! :D

I'm so happy they built that on ramp so I can head back on 495 South. The should've built that from the beginning. I know there was a house there.

I almost bought that house 10 years ago  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2824 on: March 01, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »
Check out the awesome T-shirt.   Iron Maiden/Star Wars crossover...

https://www.geeksaresexy.net/2012/03/01/awesome-tee-the-trooper-10-available-today-only/
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2825 on: March 02, 2012, 06:10:47 AM »
Anyone know the Maiden or Livenation presale codes?

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #2826 on: March 02, 2012, 06:18:45 AM »
Anyone know the Maiden or Livenation presale codes?

If you find one let me in as well  :biggrin:

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #2827 on: March 02, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »
PM'd you TAC

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2828 on: March 02, 2012, 09:25:59 AM »
Waiting for 10 to hot here.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2829 on: March 02, 2012, 09:45:07 AM »
Poked around with the presale here in Dallas, where there are currently 4 going on.  The presale will get you pit tickets down here, or reserved seats way off to the side; customary based on my experience.  Looking at stubhub, there's isn't a single seat available in two of the three front sections, leading me to believe that none of those have been released.  My plan is to be online with a couple of friends at 10 tomorrow for the general onsale, and I bet we do better than the presale folk.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2830 on: March 02, 2012, 12:16:35 PM »
Just saw this and needed to share

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2831 on: March 02, 2012, 01:36:33 PM »
The awesomeness of that is slightly overshadowed by the fact that Dave could very well pass for Steve's female companion in that picture.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #2832 on: March 02, 2012, 08:00:16 PM »
Ordered three tickets, using the presale code. Didn't get nearly as good of seats as the last time I saw them but oh well whatever. I'm seeing Iron Fucking Maiden and Coheed and Cambria.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2833 on: March 02, 2012, 10:59:04 PM »
The awesomeness of that is slightly overshadowed by the fact that Dave could very well pass for Steve's female companion in that picture.

Lol Dave truly does look like a female.

Ordered three tickets, using the presale code. Didn't get nearly as good of seats as the last time I saw them but oh well whatever. I'm seeing Iron Fucking Maiden and Coheed and Cambria.
I'm seeing iron fucking maiden and Alice fucking cooper! "do you come to Milwaukee often?"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2834 on: March 03, 2012, 09:20:08 AM »
So as is now customary, the entire 101 section has been held back.  No telling when they'll get around to selling it, if ever, but I'm sure the scalpers will be the first to know.  It would appear that 100 was for all the presale folks, and 102 was for the general onsale.  I'm actually really curious how this works, now.  That's over 1000 of the best seats in the house, and come show time every one of them will be filled.  They can't all be VIP dickwads.
E.F. Benson