Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 435940 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #2765 on: February 24, 2012, 09:51:32 AM »
The setlists are really the only negative I can say about IM. Sure the tours have been diverse, but they don't cater to the hardcore fans. If IM didn't play a song live when they toured for that album, it means it will never get played live. For example, IM didn't play Mother of Mercy during TFT tour so unless something changes, that song will never be played live. That's what stinks, great songs never get played.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2766 on: February 24, 2012, 11:42:19 AM »
I can agree with Nick that Maiden are pretty lame when it comes to setlists.
There are no major flaws with what they play, but they seem to be going for the most popular songs (which is fine), but very rarely something that is more "unique". On the tour where they played songs from the first 4 albums (was it in 05?), they did play a couple of great picks like "Phantom of the Opera" and "Remember Tomorrow", but on the "Somewhere Back in Time"-tour, I felt like the setlist lacked a surprise or two. Moonchild was great, and obviously it was great to hear Powerslave (one of my favorites), but "Heaven Can Wait" and "Wasted Years" are pretty much the go-to songs on Somewhere in Time, and "Can I Play With Madness?" felt like a pretty dull pick from SSOASS. Why not Sea of Madness or Seventh Son of a Seventh Son for example?
It also felt a bit lame with having Run to the Hills, The Number of the Beast, Iron Maiden, Fear of the Dark, The Trooper AND Hallowed Be thy Name in the set. Don't get me wrong, these six songs are classics, but while it's understandable that they are almost always played, when they're doing a "going back and revisiting old songs", they could have switched some of those songs. Let's say Invaders or Children of the Damned instead of Run to the Hills or The Number of the Beast, To Tame a Land instead of Trooper, or Killers instead of Iron Maiden.

Their setlists aren't bad, but they should spice them up more. They have tons of great songs to play, and it's really a shame when almost half of the setlist are the "classic" 6 songs I listed. If they're gonna make a special tour, switch things around a bit.
Sadly I missed them on the 05-tour, but saw them in 08. :)

You sir, are an excellent poster.

I agree that I plan on hearing some staples, but some surprises would really be nice. As for the AMoLaD tour, I very much applauded them for playing the whole new album, but look at the setlist aside from that. Fear of the Dark and Iron Maiden to close the set, big whoop. No surprise with Hallowed Be Thy Name or Two Minutes to Midnight. The only semi-surprise was The Evil That Men Do, but even that was kinda lame, because if you had told me they were going to play something off of 7th Son I would have drearily replied it's obviously going to be Can I Play With Madness or Evil That Men Do. And then they went ahead and played it again on the Somewhere Back in Time tour, taking any credit left for the surprise away.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2767 on: February 24, 2012, 11:49:03 AM »
I'm just used to bands playing all their hits. Since we mostly got festivals here. The only bands that did surprise me were Korn, and Mudvayne. Both headlined and Korn played stuff from their first album and Life is Peachy which was amazing as we got Adidas and Chi.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2768 on: February 24, 2012, 11:50:11 AM »
The setlists are really the only negative I can say about IM. Sure the tours have been diverse, but they don't cater to the hardcore fans. If IM didn't play a song live when they toured for that album, it means it will never get played live. For example, IM didn't play Mother of Mercy during TFT tour so unless something changes, that song will never be played live. That's what stinks, great songs never get played.
Huh. I had never noticed this trend in Maiden's setlists. Sort of sad.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2769 on: February 24, 2012, 12:11:55 PM »
Yeah, and it also means Alexander the Great will never be played live. Neither will New Frontier.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2770 on: February 24, 2012, 04:16:09 PM »
But all I ever wanted was to hear Isle of Avalon live.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2771 on: February 24, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »
This. My favorite Maiden song.

I agree about the setlists too, apart from Moonchild there weren't any surprises on the SBIT tour. The 2nd leg had some good gems thrown in though. Either way, I still would've loved to see it. And I'm super excited to catch the Maiden England tour. :metal

Which is also going to have a very predictable setlist. I reckon it will look like this:

Moonchild
The Evil That Men Do
The Trooper
Die With Your Boots On
Infinite Dreams
Can I Play With Madness
Heaven Can Wait
Wasted Years
The Clairvoyant
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
The Number Of The Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Fear of the Dark
Run To The Hills

Still, Infinite Dreams and SSOASS will be mind blowing.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2772 on: February 24, 2012, 06:55:03 PM »

Ohh man, i´m soo with you! :metal

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2773 on: February 24, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »

Ohh man, i´m soo with you! :metal

This. I figured those would be the gems for this tour.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2774 on: February 24, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »
Yeah I hope they come to Aus again on this tour.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2775 on: February 24, 2012, 10:18:58 PM »
I was disappointed that Paschendale and Brighter Than A Thousand Suns both got rotated out during their 2010 tour.

I was really excited to see two of my favorite reunion songs, but then they dropped them out in favor of Dance of Death and (I think) Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg.  Both good songs and they were great live, but man, seeing Paschendale and Brighter would've been phenomenal.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2776 on: February 24, 2012, 11:35:44 PM »
BTATS was dropped for Wrathchild.  :tdwn

I missed Pasch and BTATS too, those songs are both amazing.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

« Reply #2777 on: February 25, 2012, 12:31:20 AM »

Even worse then.   :lol

Breeg was awesome.  Wrathchild was... well it was Wrathchild.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2778 on: February 25, 2012, 04:05:49 AM »
I can agree with Nick that Maiden are pretty lame when it comes to setlists.
There are no major flaws with what they play, but they seem to be going for the most popular songs (which is fine), but very rarely something that is more "unique". On the tour where they played songs from the first 4 albums (was it in 05?), they did play a couple of great picks like "Phantom of the Opera" and "Remember Tomorrow", but on the "Somewhere Back in Time"-tour, I felt like the setlist lacked a surprise or two. Moonchild was great, and obviously it was great to hear Powerslave (one of my favorites), but "Heaven Can Wait" and "Wasted Years" are pretty much the go-to songs on Somewhere in Time, and "Can I Play With Madness?" felt like a pretty dull pick from SSOASS. Why not Sea of Madness or Seventh Son of a Seventh Son for example?
It also felt a bit lame with having Run to the Hills, The Number of the Beast, Iron Maiden, Fear of the Dark, The Trooper AND Hallowed Be thy Name in the set. Don't get me wrong, these six songs are classics, but while it's understandable that they are almost always played, when they're doing a "going back and revisiting old songs", they could have switched some of those songs. Let's say Invaders or Children of the Damned instead of Run to the Hills or The Number of the Beast, To Tame a Land instead of Trooper, or Killers instead of Iron Maiden.

I agree with the boring setlists. But Iron Maiden should always play Hallowed Be Thy Name and Iron Maiden.

The first song I marked is never played live, which means automatically it wouldn't be played ever by Iron Maiden. The reason for not playing it on Beast on the Road was, that they were gaining popularity and wanted to play "safe" songs, that audience knew. They started with Murders in the Rue Morgue, Wrathchild and the first single Run to the Hills. Also, I confess that it isn't one of their best album openers.

The second song would be a great choice, but it isn't played live since the World Piece Tour. The topic (Dune-books) is limited to big audience, you have no idea what they're about unless you haven't read those books (I haven't). Also, the song was at first meant to be named "Dune", and the band asked, can they use it from Frank Herbert (author of those books). He opposed the idea and was bit rude to the band and the band doesn't want to remember the whole issue. However, it is on of their greatest songs and I think that these aren't good reasons enough to ignore it when writing setlists.

Killers is one of my favourites also. It has been sometimes in setlists, the last time on Ed Huntour.

I hope they play Killers, Still Life, Moonchild, Die With Your Boots On and The Prisoner. I believe that they choose two of these and they are Moonchild and Die With Your Boots On.

Oh, and they have chosen one very unexpected song to play live since the reunion. They played Charlotte the Harlot three times on the Eddie Rips Up the World tour.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2779 on: February 25, 2012, 04:06:56 AM »
Iron Maiden is one of my least favourite Iron Maiden songs. What a waste in the setlist.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2780 on: February 25, 2012, 04:12:48 AM »
Quote from: Flick
Alexander the Great will never be played live

I've read a Dave Murray interview, where he tells a reason for why it is never played live.

"Alexander is a complicated song, what sounds good on album, but it doesn't shine when played live due having so many parts".

Bullshit. Why have they played Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and Sign of the Cross live?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2781 on: February 25, 2012, 04:21:46 AM »
I'm guessing by many parts, they mean multiple guitar parts laid on top of each other; probably too man at some parts or maybe they tried it in rehearsal  and it didn't sound right.

Also, Steve isn't exactly elated with the lyrics, from what I've heard.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2782 on: February 25, 2012, 05:21:24 AM »
I'm also hoping that they will play Prisoner and Still Life.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2783 on: February 25, 2012, 05:49:36 AM »
I'm guessing by many parts, they mean multiple guitar parts laid on top of each other; probably too man at some parts or maybe they tried it in rehearsal  and it didn't sound right.

Hmm, maybe. The Duellists have at least four different guitar tracks, and so does Flash of the Blade.

The original interview wasn't in English, so my translation might be wrong.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2784 on: February 25, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »

Even worse then.   :lol

Breeg was awesome.  Wrathchild was... well it was Wrathchild.
Yea I loved Breeg. I also liked Wrathchild though, but I would've loved BTATS instead.

As for ATG, it doesn't surprise me that Steve doesn't like the lyrics, they are pretty weak. And by many parts they mean the different guitar parts. There are also some crazy time changes in there and it's probably hard for them to keep up with that sort of thing live.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2785 on: February 25, 2012, 02:42:50 PM »
I think I remember an excuse one time for ATG not being played live was because Adrian can't remember the solo.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2786 on: February 25, 2012, 03:39:40 PM »
Yeah, ATG's lyrics aren't that great (inspiration for Jon Schaffer's history book lyrics of The Glorious Burden?) and with a little more thought gone into the melodies, Bruce wouldn't have to say "Macedonian" so damn fast to keep up with the song, but I still really like it, and the instrumental section more than makes up for the lyrics. I consider LOTLDR to be the weakest track on SIT. Heaven Can Wait isn't bad but, probably would be just above LOTLDR.

WY
CSIT
SOM
DJV
ATG
SIASL
HCW
LOTLDR

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2787 on: February 25, 2012, 03:49:26 PM »
Dude, Lord Of The Long Distance Runner is an intense damn song.  You like the semi-title-track and Deja Vu, though, so we're cool.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #2788 on: February 25, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »
i don't care how many times I hear it, Fear of the Dark is fantastic to hear live

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2789 on: February 25, 2012, 03:58:57 PM »
Loneliness is top half on the album!

Also I agree with PLM.

« Reply #2790 on: February 25, 2012, 04:07:19 PM »
Ranking Somewhere in Time's songs:

Caught Somewhere in Time (seriously, my favorite Maiden song, so awesome)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Sea of Madness
Stranger in a Strange Land
Wasted Years
Alexander the Great
Deja Vu
Heaven Can Wait (there's usually at least one shit song on every Maiden album and this one is it)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2791 on: February 25, 2012, 04:18:24 PM »
Lonelyness of the long distance runner is a great song. The music is fantastic and while the lyrics in the context of the long distance running is quite cheesy, I believe the metaphorical meaning of the lyrics is awesome. The break where Bruce sings just before the solos is so powerful and amazing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2792 on: February 25, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »
Dude, Lord Of The Long Distance Runner is an intense damn song.  You like the semi-title-track and Deja Vu, though, so we're cool.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that :lol

Also, it's the lyrics to that song that don't do it for me. They just seem... I don't know, not cheesy, but a metal song about a guy running for a long time... Maybe it's based on something else I'm unaware of. Then again, I remember someone in one of my college classes saying that Maiden had a song based on Sonic The Hedgehog...

And yes, I do realize I'm commenting on LDR's lyrics, and have ATG higher in the rankings. :biggrin:

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2793 on: February 25, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that :lol

Also, it's the lyrics to that song that don't do it for me. They just seem... I don't know, not cheesy, but a metal song about a guy running for a long time... Maybe it's based on something else I'm unaware of. Then again, I remember someone in one of my college classes saying that Maiden had a song based on Sonic The Hedgehog...

And yes, I do realize I'm commenting on LDR's lyrics, and have ATG higher in the rankings. :biggrin:

Wat you mean it ain't bout Sonic? 

Seriously, though, it's about some book I've never read. 

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2794 on: February 25, 2012, 05:51:21 PM »
I think I remember an excuse one time for ATG not being played live was because Adrian can't remember the solo.
Yea that's the common story.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2795 on: February 25, 2012, 05:59:42 PM »
My mom saw Steve Harris at the local Golden Corral today...  ???

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2796 on: February 25, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »
Nice! 

What was he doing there?  Just buying groceries and stuff? 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2797 on: February 25, 2012, 06:10:51 PM »
Nice! 

Isn't Golden Corral a buffet over there too?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2798 on: February 25, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »
Nice! 

Isn't Golden Corral a buffet over there too?

It's a buffet?  I've never heard of Golden Corral and simply guessed it was a grocery.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2799 on: February 25, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »
Yes its a buffet here.

Apparently he was eating with his kids there.