Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436505 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #2730 on: February 17, 2012, 12:32:50 PM »
I can tell you that the best tickets get sold out in the moment the fan club presale happens. I know this because thats how I twice gotten almost to the front barrier (you need to win the fan club contest to be on the barrier). Ive done this twice and once was 15 minutes late and couldnt get floor tickets. Im sure they hold some back, but I think maiden is good at getting the best tickets to thier dedicated fans.
Definitely not the case in Dallas or Houston.  There really wasn't any difference between the fanclub presale and the general onsale; only more people for the latter.  I can also tell you that the ticket scalpers blow off the fanclubs for the same reason.  Many years ago they were all members of every fanclub under the sun.  Now they're a waste of their time and money, since they only sell slightly better than average seats.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2731 on: February 20, 2012, 12:47:27 PM »
The short story of my (Maiden) life.

Iīve been listening to Iron Maiden since 1991 or 92 canīt remember exactly. A childhood friend of mine introduced them to me, he was a huge fan and had all their records. Maiden was the first band that i became a real fan of and also the sort of music that defined my musical taste later in life and opened up the world of metal to me and all itīs sub genres.

So anyway, i was hooked to say the least and i remember that everytime i was at his home and played i always asked if i could borrow a new CD or LP. Then i would go home and just listen on repeat all day, read the album cover inside out and i loved trying to search after Dereks symbol on the album covers. :)

Itīs funny when i think about it, i was to young to be aware of what the band was doing at the present time i just had all their records that i listened to alot and that was fine to me. That also made the band more mysterious and exciting to me and i thank the lack of internet for that.
So the kind of small news that Bruce left the band just gently passed me like a summer breeze.

When i got to my teen years and became a little more aware of the world around me, the golden years of Maiden was long gone. My interest kind of cooled down and i started to get into other types of bands and genres. I also joined my first band (and my last...well kind of but thats another story) as a drummer and we were heavily influenced in the beginning by Hammerfall and the power metal scene.

Fast foward to 1999!

I remember it so vividly march 1999,  i was at school and surfing the net when i read the announcement about the return of Bruce and Adrian. Damn! That was a happy day, i actually saved the article for years after. I must clarify: my loss in interest for Maiden had nothing to do with Blaze or anything i still followed them (X-Factor is a pretty damn good album if you listen too it!) but it was more a thirst for other kind music. So the Ed Hunter Tour 1999 was of course a must and the 18th of march in Gothenburg at Scandinavium marked my very first concert with Maiden. Happy day again!

I of course bought Brave New World when it came out in 2000 and had high hopes like everybody else and i liked it even though some of the magic that used to be there in the music was gone. But it was a good comeback album and i looked foward to the next one.

Now comes a point in my life where i realise that Maiden could never ever release anything that could come close to the magic i feel when i listen to their older albums!
So i kind of stopped dreaming for another SSOASS or TNOTB or whatever and just came to the conclusion that everything has itīs time and so does Maiden and itīs OK!

I love that Iron Maiden is still going strong, bigger than ever and the influence they have given and still give to bands, musicians and fans all over the world.
The fact that they are bigger than ever is something i never thought would happen when i asked my friend back in 1998 how the concert the night before was: Man, you not gonna belive me but the place wasnīt even full and the capacity was 1500! That was 20th of september 1998 in Copenhagen during the Virtual XI World Tour.

My live moments with Maiden:

TEHWT in Gothenburg, Scandinavium 1999-09-18
SBITWT in Stockholm, Stadion 2008-07-26
TFFWT in Gothenburg, Ullevi 2011-07-01
MEWT in Gothenburg, Ullevi 2013-?-? Well i sure hope so!

Hope you enjoyd it, i just had to get that out of my chest! :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:53:06 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2732 on: February 22, 2012, 07:45:31 AM »
Nice Mr. Boom.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2733 on: February 22, 2012, 08:20:40 AM »
So an old friend may have box seats VIP passes to the Madien Cooper show in Mass.  That would be very cool.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2734 on: February 22, 2012, 04:45:04 PM »
Yes it would! I'll be there as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2735 on: February 23, 2012, 12:29:29 AM »
I hope you guys give really good applause to Cooper. I saw him and Iron Maiden last summer in Helsinki Olympic Stadion, and he had a great show. I had no idea that he was so good. It pissed me off a little, that the crowd really wasn't on his side, the crowd didn't really cheer.

You probably know, that there was some great non-musical stuff, like that huge monster coming on stage in "Feed My Frankenstein" and "killing" some press guy with a microphone stand in "Wicked Young Man", and after that song Alice was taken to a guillotine. And to a last song "School's Out" he came with a Finland's ice hockey national team's shirt on with "Cooper 17" in the back. He also had a jacket, which had a text "A new song" looking like that it was written by blood, when they played "I'll Bite Your Face Off".

The songs were good. Even the horrible "Poison" was OK live. And I saw (without knowing it) Jimmy DeGrasso, who is one of my favourite drummers live.

Iron Maiden was still better, though I've heard, that it was only an average gig.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:43:04 AM by Ruba »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2736 on: February 23, 2012, 01:24:33 AM »
While not a huge Alice fan, I am pretty pumped to get to see him. Iron Maiden has brought some good openers with them in North America recently.  ;)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2737 on: February 23, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »
So, I've seen a lot of hate for Heaven can Wait. To be honest the first time I listened to this song was in their Live at Donnignton album and I loved it from the first listen. The studio version doesn't hold up to that specific live version but I don't think it's as terrible as people say.

Thoughts?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2738 on: February 23, 2012, 04:25:09 PM »
I very much enjoy that song. Not one of thier bests, but a good live song. I got to go on stage with them at madison square garden when they played it in 2008.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2739 on: February 23, 2012, 04:38:24 PM »
I don't get the hate for it either.  Its good.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #2740 on: February 23, 2012, 05:01:35 PM »
Heaven Can Wait is supposed to be terrible?  Since when?  All the people I've ever talked to think it's awesome.

It is extremely good, but it doesn't stand out on SiT because that is such an awesome album. :metal

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2741 on: February 23, 2012, 05:07:25 PM »
I'll 5th the HCW love going on here. 

And 2nd the SiT love.  That album really is one of Maiden's finer moments. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2742 on: February 23, 2012, 05:42:16 PM »
Heaven Can Wait is supposed to be terrible?  Since when?  All the people I've ever talked to think it's awesome.
Since 1986.  I don't know as I'd call it terrible, but it's easily the worst song on the album, and one of my least favorite songs to hear live.  Alas, Arry seems to love playing it.

I very much enjoy that song. Not one of thier bests, but a good live song. I got to go on stage with them at madison square garden when they played it in 2008.
Somebody else got to do that here, though I don't recall who.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2743 on: February 23, 2012, 05:57:03 PM »
Since 1986.  I don't know as I'd call it terrible, but it's easily the worst song on the album, and one of my least favorite songs to hear live.  Alas, Arry seems to love playing it.

Really?  You think its worse than Alexander the Great and Deja Vu? :P

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2744 on: February 23, 2012, 06:01:28 PM »
Yeah easily the worst on the album, but still not terrible. It's alright.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2745 on: February 23, 2012, 06:08:15 PM »
Maiden has songs of much worse quality than weaker songs of SiT.  I'm not going to name names, though. 

On another note, I think I've finally gotten AMOLAD, now.  I was rather unimpressed with it for quite some time, but these days, I'm really digging it.  Probably more-so than anything else post-FOTD.   Hard call, what with BNW, though; that's another killer. 

Am I the only guy here who had this lengthy growing-on with AMOLAD & TFF as well? 

Edit: Nekov knows what's up.     :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2746 on: February 23, 2012, 06:09:11 PM »

Really?  You think its worse than Alexander the Great and Deja Vu? :P

Wow, hold it there. Deja vu is a great song

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2747 on: February 23, 2012, 06:27:47 PM »
I LOVE Deja Vu. One of the most fun IM songs, sure its a Murray wankfest, but I love it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2748 on: February 23, 2012, 09:30:25 PM »
I always wished Dave would write more, his songs seem to be more diverse than anyone else's writing style when it comes to Maiden;

DeJa Vu
The Prophecy
Judas Be My Guide
Chains of Misery
Public Enema no. 1
Fates Warning
The Man Who Would Be King
Still Life
The Nomad
Thin Line Between Love and Hate

etc.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2749 on: February 23, 2012, 09:34:26 PM »
Thin Line Between Love and Hate is fantastic.  Those others?  Eh.  Except Still Life, that's a pretty cool one.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2750 on: February 23, 2012, 09:51:48 PM »
Not saying they are top Maiden songs at all, just like how some of them are a bit different and are a nice contrast to the rest of the albums that they belong to.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2751 on: February 23, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »
Thin Line might be my favorite from BNW.  I really like The Nomad too, but it seems not many others do.

The others?  Deja Vu and TMWWBK are good songs, but nothing outstanding.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2752 on: February 23, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »
I really like The Nomad too, but it seems not many others do.
Yeah, I never got the dislike for it.  It's got a great tone that actually fits the subject matter well.  Something I often find lacking in Maiden's thematic songs. 
E.F. Benson

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2753 on: February 23, 2012, 10:44:15 PM »
I'd say the Nomad is one of their best songs from the reunion.  Works better than, say, Dream of Mirrors, at any rate. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2754 on: February 23, 2012, 11:23:21 PM »
I must be one who doesn't really like the Nomad.  I mean it isnt terrible, I like some parts of it and like El Barto was saying, the tone is really good on this song.  I also like the guitar solos, but the song overall has always been one of my least favorite off of BNW.

As for the Dave songs, I really like Deja Vu, The Thin Line Behind Love and Hate, and I also like The Man Who Would be King, but I also have to say that Chains of Misery is probably one of my least favorite IM songs.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2755 on: February 24, 2012, 12:25:41 AM »
Judas Be My Guide  :hefdaddy
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2756 on: February 24, 2012, 02:28:38 AM »
You forgot The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg.  :metal

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2757 on: February 24, 2012, 02:41:11 AM »
On another note, I think I've finally gotten AMOLAD, now.  I was rather unimpressed with it for quite some time, but these days, I'm really digging it.  Probably more-so than anything else post-FOTD.   Hard call, what with BNW, though; that's another killer.   

Edit: Nekov knows what's up.     :tup

You're not the only one. I was pretty darn impressed with AMOLAD as well. Great consistancy on there. Breeg being one of my lesser favorite tracks on there.
Also like the longer songs on TFF. Could it be this band is still getting better at writing?  :eek
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance youīre always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2758 on: February 24, 2012, 03:24:32 AM »
Judas Be My Guide  :hefdaddy

Top 10 Maiden song, IMO.

You forgot The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg.  :metal

I did. Good song.  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2759 on: February 24, 2012, 06:25:42 AM »
So much to chew on here. Ill hit this when qI get home.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2760 on: February 24, 2012, 07:29:41 AM »
Heaven Can Wait is a good song, but it's repetitive, has been overplayed to death compared to other Somewhere in Time material, all of which blows it out of the water. And as much as I loooove Wasted Years I would kill to see 2-3 songs from the album that are NOT Heaven Can Wait or Wasted Years.

But that's the problem with Maiden, generic setlists when it comes to choosing material. Even on Somewhere Back in Time, which saw them going back for older material not played terribly recently, they went with the most generic setlist imaginable with the exception of Moonchild, which was the only real surprise. And now that won't mean jack shit because they are just going to end up playing it this tour anyway.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2761 on: February 24, 2012, 07:48:25 AM »
The setlists are generic, but the tours on their own aren't.

The tour consisted only of songs from the first four albums, followed by a tour with the entire new album, followed by World slavery tour, followed by a tour focused on the last ten years (which was, to make it clear, in 2010). I'd say those are some original ideas.

But yeah, we'd all still love to hear some forgotten stuff, like The Prisoner, Seventh son of a seventh son, Still life... Wait a minute... We might get these on this tour!  :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2762 on: February 24, 2012, 08:13:51 AM »
Nick, do me a favor and stop posting horrible opinions. The Somwhere back in Time tour was a major kickass and the setlist was almost perfect in my opinion. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2763 on: February 24, 2012, 09:20:08 AM »
I can agree with Nick that Maiden are pretty lame when it comes to setlists.
There are no major flaws with what they play, but they seem to be going for the most popular songs (which is fine), but very rarely something that is more "unique". On the tour where they played songs from the first 4 albums (was it in 05?), they did play a couple of great picks like "Phantom of the Opera" and "Remember Tomorrow", but on the "Somewhere Back in Time"-tour, I felt like the setlist lacked a surprise or two. Moonchild was great, and obviously it was great to hear Powerslave (one of my favorites), but "Heaven Can Wait" and "Wasted Years" are pretty much the go-to songs on Somewhere in Time, and "Can I Play With Madness?" felt like a pretty dull pick from SSOASS. Why not Sea of Madness or Seventh Son of a Seventh Son for example?
It also felt a bit lame with having Run to the Hills, The Number of the Beast, Iron Maiden, Fear of the Dark, The Trooper AND Hallowed Be thy Name in the set. Don't get me wrong, these six songs are classics, but while it's understandable that they are almost always played, when they're doing a "going back and revisiting old songs", they could have switched some of those songs. Let's say Invaders or Children of the Damned instead of Run to the Hills or The Number of the Beast, To Tame a Land instead of Trooper, or Killers instead of Iron Maiden.

Their setlists aren't bad, but they should spice them up more. They have tons of great songs to play, and it's really a shame when almost half of the setlist are the "classic" 6 songs I listed. If they're gonna make a special tour, switch things around a bit.
Sadly I missed them on the 05-tour, but saw them in 08. :)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2764 on: February 24, 2012, 09:43:40 AM »
You can't look at any of Maiden's recent non-history tours and say the setlists were generic. Seriously, the AMOLAD tour's setlist was just uncalled for.