Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436309 times)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #2590 on: August 05, 2011, 07:19:22 AM »
I would enjoy a more straight ahead rock album next time around.  I really liked TFF, but I want more faster, cathier, shorter and classic Maiden.

I'll second that.  Though the last 10 years have brought a lot of good tunes, I feel it has been a bit hit-and-miss, in terms of tunes that have really blown my socks off.  Maiden's one of those bands who are really in their element when they're pumped and ready to kick my ass and take me on an adventure!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2591 on: August 05, 2011, 07:20:18 AM »
Not really sure what to think, I really liked the previous reunion-albums (BNW, DoD and AMoLaD), but The Final Frontier was kinda meh.
First half of the album was rather mediocre, second half had some gems (Starblind and Isle of Avalon especially), and the second half of the album was really what saved it from being very low in the Maiden-discography.

One thing I'm a bit skeptical or thinking about at least, is the more up tempo/faster songs.
Personally I don't think they've made that many of them that I've liked in the last ~3-4 albums, and I think their best songs (also most memorable) has been more epic & long songs, Paschendale, Dance of Death, The Legacy and Starblind are a few that comes to mind.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2592 on: August 05, 2011, 07:41:44 AM »
The final frontier is awesome you guys are crazy.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2593 on: August 05, 2011, 07:43:24 AM »
I like the FF.  I just don't love it.  Now, if you want to see crazy, go to the Maidenfans forum and read anything posted by PlayClassics! 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2594 on: August 05, 2011, 08:31:54 AM »
The Final frontier really aged well for me. How can such a band go wrong? You can't expect these guys to disappoint you after all the great albums they have put out in the last ten years. Why would they follow AMOLAD with a bad album? Of course they wouldn't, they just follow the good old formula and give us more of the same with some tasty new ideas as well.

Highlights: The Man who would be king, When the wild wind blows, The Alchemist, and Satellite 15... The Final frontier. I like every song on it, though, with the exception of Mother of mercy - it's good, but not as good as the rest.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2595 on: August 05, 2011, 10:34:01 PM »
I like the FF.  I just don't love it.  Now, if you want to see crazy, go to the Maidenfans forum and read anything posted by PlayClassics! 
I'm a member of that forum, haha. The reunion albums are praised very highly over there (and for good reason!). Play Classics is just an anomaly :p

I hope they continue in the same vein as the last two albums, that would be great. I do like the occasional short song, but their progressive epics have been amazing the past few albums.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2596 on: August 05, 2011, 10:39:34 PM »
I'm a member of that forum, haha. The reunion albums are praised very highly over there (and for good reason!). Play Classics is just an anomaly :p

I hope they continue in the same vein as the last two albums, that would be great. I do like the occasional short song, but their progressive epics have been amazing the past few albums.

Though I disagree with you on the reunion stuff being brilliant, I enjoy it more than not, and really enjoyed my first Maiden show last year with the mostly reunion set-list.  I do agree wholeheartedly, though, that the best reunion songs are the epics, and would love a new album to have mostly 7+ minute songs, provided that they are up to the standard quality of previous epics.  As much as I absolutely love the 80s/early 90s stuff, I doubt that they'd do too hot trying to emulate POM or PS.  I hope the Rush-like qualities displayed on Isle of Avalon/Starblind are brought out more on the next record.  Little can go wrong with that trio as inspiration. 

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2597 on: August 05, 2011, 10:42:52 PM »
I agree. Though I still don't understand how you can like the early 90's albums :p

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2598 on: August 05, 2011, 10:47:33 PM »
Um, I dislike a few songs off of those 2 records.  Like Hooks in You, PEN1(S), and the songs after The Fugitive but before Fear of the Dark.  (With the exception of Judas). 

However, I really enjoy all the rest off of them, and their best songs, (ie, NPFTD, The A, RSRD, MR, ATSS, The P, FOTD, WL), I'd say are right up there with my favorite pre-90 and post-99 tunes.  Plus, you know, it's just rock and roll, man!   :metal

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2599 on: August 05, 2011, 10:48:09 PM »
PEN1 is awesome! :metal

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2600 on: August 05, 2011, 10:49:14 PM »
I'll take it over Can I Play With Madness any day.   :lol

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2601 on: August 05, 2011, 10:50:18 PM »
That is a good song IMO, but not as good as PEN1.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2602 on: August 06, 2011, 10:35:34 AM »
PEN1 was my favorite Iron Maiden song for at least 5 years. Until I started getting into the reunion stuff. But it is still a great song.  :metal :metal :metal
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2603 on: August 06, 2011, 08:48:58 PM »
Wow, I never knew that, thats interesting :)

Mosh is also a member of the MaidenFans forum :)

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #2604 on: August 07, 2011, 11:52:45 AM »
Sorry I'm only just reporting back with photos from Monday, it's my first day off since. Holy crap the pack down was the hardest work I've done in a long long time. Totally worth it, even if I did only get to see half the show. Is it me or in that photo of Eddie he's doing the trollface?

The hat is explained here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz4LQpDpNvM

:D
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2605 on: August 08, 2011, 08:34:59 AM »
Rob, awesome stuff! Thank you for taking and sharing the pics!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #2606 on: August 08, 2011, 09:52:40 AM »

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2607 on: August 08, 2011, 07:09:11 PM »
Nice pics! Thanks for taking them :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2608 on: August 08, 2011, 11:48:24 PM »
Cant tell too much by the one pic, but that venue looks fairly small with just an open floor and a few seats in the next level.  Looks like an awesome place to see Maiden, Ive only even seen them in big arenas or big outdoor venues.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #2609 on: August 09, 2011, 03:37:25 AM »
Cant tell too much by the one pic, but that venue looks fairly small with just an open floor and a few seats in the next level.  Looks like an awesome place to see Maiden, Ive only even seen them in big arenas or big outdoor venues.

Yeah it's pretty much just 7,800 standing then about 150-200 on the one small balcony. Cardiff doesn't have much in the way of good venues. It's just that place, a 80,000 capcity stadium, a 26,000 capacity stadium and a bunch of venues 1000 people or under. Not much in between :P Wrestling in the arena is awesome though, no matter how bad your seats are it's still pretty damn close :D
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2611 on: August 12, 2011, 11:51:13 PM »
Liked!!

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #2612 on: August 30, 2011, 06:39:26 AM »
I'm getting poor because I'm being emergency taxed like mad with my new job :( So I'm selling my SSOASS picture disc that I got signed by Nicko. Bad bad times...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Iron-Maiden-Seventh-7th-Son-SIGNED-Picture-Disc-EX-EX-/110737076966?pt=UK_Records&hash=item19c871b2e6
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2613 on: August 31, 2011, 06:32:57 AM »
Maiden United (with Damian Wilson)

Check these out, Damian is fucking amazing!!

Children of the Damned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaBXWm0q13g

Where Eagles Dare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXiy5Qwi7_E&NR=1

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2614 on: September 01, 2011, 08:05:36 PM »
Top 5 Albums
1. Powerslave
2. Dance of Death
3. The Number of the Beast
4. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
5. Somewhere in Time

Top 20 songs:
1. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
2. Powerslave
3. Back in the Village
4. The Clairvoyant
5. Paschendale
6. Hallowed Be Thy Name
7. The Legacy
8. Alexander the Great
9. When the Wild Wind Blows
10. 22 Acacia Avenue
11. The Unbeliever
12. Moonchild
13. Dance of Death
14. Charlot the Harlot
15. Sea of Madness

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2615 on: September 01, 2011, 10:34:52 PM »
Maiden United (with Damian Wilson)

Check these out, Damian is fucking amazing!!

Children of the Damned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaBXWm0q13g

Where Eagles Dare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXiy5Qwi7_E&NR=1

Wow, that was cool!  Very different!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2616 on: October 02, 2011, 09:58:16 PM »
I learned tonight that there are overdubs on Rock In Rio, and they're pretty damn pointless.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2617 on: October 04, 2011, 09:37:03 PM »
IRON MAIDEN: Official iPhone/iPad App Available

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164171

The official iPhone/iPad app from British heavy metal legends IRON MAIDEN is now available to download for free from the iTunes store. Get the latest news, preview the latest album, listen to music and watch videos from the band's classic catalogue, book concert tickets, interact with other MAIDEN fans across the globe and more!

The app will be available in the following languages: English, Arabic, Norwegian, Chinese, Danish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish.

Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2618 on: October 05, 2011, 04:41:55 AM »
I learned tonight that there are overdubs on Rock In Rio, and they're pretty damn pointless.

Yeah, Harry just put Bruce's vocals in where he gets the crowd to sing.  They did that because the crowd were out of time or something.  Listen to the quiet middle section of The Clansman.  There's one section where Bruce's vocals practically overlap.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2619 on: October 05, 2011, 07:35:27 AM »
Yeah, those sections suck. Other than that, it's a great live album.  :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2620 on: October 05, 2011, 05:53:18 PM »

Yeah, Harry just put Bruce's vocals in where he gets the crowd to sing.  They did that because the crowd were out of time or something.  Listen to the quiet middle section of The Clansman.  There's one section where Bruce's vocals practically overlap.

I found the original bootleg, and yeah the crowd is out of time at some points, but I noticed on the official release that when they made the crowd louder, they also made them in sync (see: Dream Of Mirrors) so why didn't they just do this for the other songs too instead of putting Bruce's voice in?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: October 06, 2011, 03:40:28 AM »

I found the original bootleg, and yeah the crowd is out of time at some points, but I noticed on the official release that when they made the crowd louder, they also made them in sync (see: Dream Of Mirrors) so why didn't they just do this for the other songs too instead of putting Bruce's voice in?

Steve Harris has always had strange ideas when it comes to the production side of things IMO.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2622 on: October 06, 2011, 12:42:11 PM »
I loves me some Iron Maiden, and you'll definitely hear their influence in the music of The ANABASIS, especially the twin harmony guitar stuff.

I haven't been crazy about ALL of the reunion material, but most of it has been rather good.  I think "Dance of Death" is probably the weakest of the modern albums, but "Brave New World," "A Matter of Life and Death," and "The Final Frontier" all get pretty regular spins in KirksNoseHair's iPod and CD player.   :metal

Offline MK_Ultra

• The House Always Wins.
« Reply #2623 on: October 06, 2011, 03:21:01 PM »
I think "Dance of Death" is probably the weakest of the modern albums
Dance Of Death is my fourth favourite Maiden album, and the best of the modern ones imo.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2624 on: October 06, 2011, 10:15:38 PM »
Wow, thats a pretty controversial opinion. Its one of my least favourites and easily my least favourite reunion album.