Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 435884 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #4550 on: October 26, 2014, 01:51:48 PM »
It's a cool song that suffers from a very poor arrangement. Instead of having the 2nd verse be more or less a repeat of the first verse, it should've been something completely different to keep the momentum moving along and the chorus repeats way too many times. Besides that, it's a really great song with an amazing instrumental section.

I have no issue with the song at all but this makes a lot of sense and can completely understand what you are saying.

Same here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deathless

« Reply #4551 on: November 07, 2014, 06:24:41 PM »
Did anyone catch Dave Mustaine's interview on Blabbermouth yesterday? He doesn't directly mention Maiden, but check this...

On Megadeth's recording plans
"We're commencing the writing process right now and we're going to start [recording] in January of next year. We'll be touring in August with a very huge English metal band in the States and South America, and we're hoping to get our record out sometime in the summer.

I don't think it will be Priest. I suppose it could be Sabbath, but if Maiden are working on an album.. this timeline could work, right?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4552 on: November 07, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »
That would be awesome news if true.  Dont tease me though  :biggrin:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4553 on: November 07, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »
Saw this and thought the same thing. The only band that fits the bill really is Maiden. I'm pretty Priest don't want to do a second US leg and Sabbath has plans to start work on an album next year, so I don't expect any tour plans from them just yet. Maiden lines up perfectly with this.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4554 on: November 08, 2014, 11:54:46 AM »
Wow that sounds interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4555 on: November 08, 2014, 02:16:52 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4557 on: November 10, 2014, 09:56:16 AM »
Huh, I might be tempted to see that tour. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4558 on: November 10, 2014, 10:08:10 AM »
You wouldn't see another Maiden tour without Megadeth?

As for me, just another Maiden show where I hang out in the parking lot and recreate during the opener. Seen Megadeth more than enough times at this point.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #4559 on: November 10, 2014, 10:09:30 AM »

As for me, just another Maiden show where I hang out in the parking lot and recreate during the opener. Seen Megadeth more than enough times at this point.
Also, who wants to stand around and listen to Mustaine rant endlessly  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4560 on: November 10, 2014, 10:20:39 AM »

No, it's not that I wouldn't see them without Megadeth.  It's just that, all things being equal, it's not worth it for me to travel to see them, and it is rare that they would come through here.  But Megadeth is just an added bonus.  And I haven't seen Megadeth since '95, so...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

« Reply #4561 on: November 10, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »
My only experience with live Megadeth is on the Big 4 DVD and they were easily the worst of the four in terms of live performance. Very dull. I'd be interested in seeing if that's still true seeing them in person though, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see them. Having them open for Maiden is the best chance of me seeing them. And they can't be worse than Coheed was.  :lol
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4562 on: November 13, 2014, 08:54:08 AM »
I have little interest in seeing Megadeth again, but really, as far as Maiden and American tour openers go, Dream Theater was a huge anomaly, as generally they've been pretty shit. Megadeth would at least be alright.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4563 on: November 13, 2014, 10:41:48 AM »
I have little interest in seeing Megadeth again, but really, as far as Maiden and American tour openers go, Dream Theater was a huge anomaly, as generally they've been pretty shit. Megadeth would at least be alright.

Not totally true, Alice Cooper was awesome the last tour and in the way past they had good openers.  They just had a large string of pure shit ::cough:: lauren harris ::cough::

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4564 on: November 13, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »
Right, Alice was awesome as usual. Megadeth as a freebie would be great!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #4565 on: November 13, 2014, 11:02:20 PM »
I've heard of bad openers for Maiden but oddly enough, every time I've seen them (save for Maiden England) the opening groups have been fantastic. Rob Zombie (not a fan of his music but his performance was amazing, exactly what an opening act should be), Motorhead, Dio, Mastodon, Dream Theater..all great bands. All in the last ten years too.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #4566 on: November 13, 2014, 11:38:20 PM »
I've seen Maiden several times since the reunion. Most of the time they've had quality opening acts. Halford, Motorhead, and Dio all put on good shows. Dream Theater and Queensryche seemed to mail it in. Lauren Harris wasn't good musically, but she was very energetic and she seemed to be giving a great effort to put on a show.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4567 on: November 14, 2014, 12:06:01 AM »
When I saw them during SBITWT, Lauren Harris and Avenged Sevenfold were supporting and yea alot of people booed and stood with their arms crossed and some even threw stuff...mostly at AS though. Rough deal to be opening sometimes but either way they get massive exposure.

During the recent tour I saw them with Sabaton supporting and goddamn they pumped the place up, they were awesome and with Snowy Shaw on drums it couldn't get any better.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:12:24 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4568 on: November 14, 2014, 03:55:48 AM »
 Here are the opening acts I´ve seen for MAiden:

1992 - Thunder;
 1996 - Skid Row and Motorhead;
 2000 - Sepultura and Rob Halford;
 2004 - no opening act;
 2008 - LAuren HArris;
 2013 - Ghost and Slayer.

Offline crawl_away

« Reply #4569 on: November 14, 2014, 04:16:38 AM »
My only experience with live Megadeth is on the Big 4 DVD and they were easily the worst of the four in terms of live performance. Very dull. I'd be interested in seeing if that's still true seeing them in person though, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see them. Having them open for Maiden is the best chance of me seeing them. And they can't be worse than Coheed was.  :lol

I would recommend seeing Megadeth live for yourself at least once. I'm not a big fan of their Live DVDs, however I've always enjoyed them live. Every time I have seen them they are super tight, and Dave Mustaine has a great presence (including his "signature" guitar moves) on stage. They're actually one of my favorite live bands.
But this discussion is for another thread :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4570 on: November 14, 2014, 04:38:52 AM »
Seeing Megadeth live with Glen was an awesome experience, he was a great performer.  They are a great live band but the second time seeing them with Broderick was a little underwhelming.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4571 on: November 14, 2014, 06:32:56 AM »
Lauren Harris wasn't good musically, but she was very energetic and she seemed to be giving a great effort to put on a show.

She is also beautiful.  But regardless, id rather a better opener musically.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4572 on: November 14, 2014, 07:06:34 AM »
Of all the bands I saw opening for Maiden, Ghost did the best job, by far. They really got the crowd going.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4573 on: November 14, 2014, 07:08:39 AM »
Dream Theater opening at MSG in NYC was quite awesome as well.  That was like a dream come true for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4574 on: November 14, 2014, 07:10:58 AM »
Dream Theater opening at MSG in NYC was quite awesome as well.  That was like a dream come true for me.

The two best opening act performances of my concert going life both came at Iron Maiden concerts.
Accept in 1985 and Dream Theater in 1992.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4575 on: November 24, 2014, 07:37:39 PM »
Just picked up the Final Frontier.

Don't know why it took me so long, since I really am digging it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4576 on: November 24, 2014, 07:43:04 PM »
It is a GREAT album.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4577 on: November 24, 2014, 10:29:54 PM »
You know, I somehow forgot Alice Cooper, he was absolutely fantastic. The two I got before that were Bullet For My Valentine and Lauren Harris. And I wouldn't have been pleased with Slayer either.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mosh

« Reply #4578 on: November 25, 2014, 01:48:15 AM »

Love it. Isle of Avalon is my favorite Maiden song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4579 on: November 25, 2014, 05:17:33 AM »
You know, I somehow forgot Alice Cooper, he was absolutely fantastic.
:metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4580 on: November 25, 2014, 09:12:02 AM »

Not sure whether this was a factor or not, but I saw En Vivo! before I picked up TFF, and I LOVE the live renditions of those songs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4581 on: November 25, 2014, 10:34:33 AM »

Not sure whether this was a factor or not, but I saw En Vivo! before I picked up TFF, and I LOVE the live renditions of those songs.

To be fair, pretty much all of IMs live renditions are amazing.  They are truly a "live band" if I ever knew one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4582 on: November 25, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »
Yeah, I guess for the most part, that's true.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4583 on: November 25, 2014, 05:11:56 PM »

Starblind is the band's hidden masterpiece. Could maybe have been produced a little better, but on the whole, it's the band's greatest song.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4584 on: November 25, 2014, 05:18:53 PM »
Starblind is by far the best song on the album, and is climbing in my all time Maiden rankings.  I'd agree it is a bit of an underrated masterpiece.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.