Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 435191 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2009, 12:00:29 PM »
It seems there is a little bit of synth added to Powerslave and the added quitar on Rime sounds fantastic. 

I bought a Blu-Ray player (an Insignia (the Best Buy Brand) since it was on sale from 200 to 120 and then I got 15 bucks off from coupons so I got a good deal and I really wanted Flight 666 on Blu-Ray since it looked so great in theater, I couldn't lower the quality on it.  One more week for it to come out here in the USA.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2009, 02:12:33 PM »
It's worth it only for H's singing on Wasted Years

THIS!  And a massive solo to boot.

Ha!  Awesome!  I've had the soundtrack to F666 on repeat in the car since i got it, so good.  Faces will melt.

The soundtrack is fantastic.  Maybe too early for me since I haven't listened to it more than a couple times, but it may be the best live album to listen to by Maiden.  The sound is fantastic and some of the old songs with the 3 guitars sound much better than they did on RiR and DOTR.  Also ROTAM being played is like icing on the cake. 
I wasn't actually planning on getting the CD. Maybe I will. I wish Phantom and Children were included.
Death On The Road is pretty damn good, though.

Yeah I wish they had chucked those two on, they were amazing in concert.  H's twin neck Jackson FTW.

I agree with Cram though, they guys sound like they have found their niche with the old songs in regards to the triple guitar thing, its brilliant.  There are some parts that make me cringe (like, everyone playing the clean Am-F-C progression in Revelations)  but then there are parts of brilliance like the three-part harmonies in Rime and after Jans solo in Revelations.  Boy oh boy does it deliver :P

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #142 on: June 06, 2009, 07:56:58 PM »
Flight 666 is on Palladia right now!  :metal
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: June 06, 2009, 09:35:39 PM »
Flight 666 is on Palladia right now!  :metal

Seriously?  I missed it!  Damn!  Hope it comes on again...

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2009, 09:48:38 PM »
Flight 666 on VH1 classic in twelve minutes :metal

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #145 on: June 06, 2009, 09:58:28 PM »
i don't know about vh1 but palladia has amazing surround, it's like being at the concerts.

ps. it restarted.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2009, 06:59:00 AM »
Somebody mentioned about three guitars playing Revelations in unison, what should they have done?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2009, 01:46:13 PM »
Somebody mentioned about three guitars playing Revelations in unison, what should they have done?

That is what the should have done and they did it well.

I watched the Flight 666 documentary on Palladia last night with my buddies since the hockey game was pretty bad.  My one buddy who likes Maiden, but never really got into them, really enjoyed it which made me very happy.  The whole show was fantastic and the showing on Palladia (even though there were sooo many commercials and they were all the same) was really fantastic in HD.  Really awesome to see Maiden get great exposure on television in the USA.  Really pumped to get the Blu-Ray on Tuesday.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2009, 04:26:08 PM »
somewhere back in time on now at palladia.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2009, 04:47:52 PM »

I suppose one of them could've had a rest or something :lol  I dont see the point in them all playing that passage, there must be a hefty amount of editing going on to make it sound like less of a mess.  For example, after watching the Wasted Years clip on the F666 dvd you can see Jan is playing the intro lick along with H, but you really cant hear his guitar at all... and after hearing the mess that is the 'unison' during H's Trooper solo I'm kinda glad WY is mixed that way.  I'm not bashing or anything, I love Maiden and always have but the triple guitar thing gets a little cluttered when its not used right, IMO.  I realise that the older songs were not written with 3 guitars in mind so theres gotta be some kind of clash.  But songs like Rime and Wrathchild (where H plays drop d) are reworked excellently for the 3 guitars, as well as the new stuff (Brave New World, Ghost of the Navigator etc.)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2009, 06:20:55 PM »
So Flight 666 in HD and surround sound is pretty badass.  I'm going to have to get the DVD now or something...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2009, 07:40:16 PM »

I suppose one of them could've had a rest or something :lol  I dont see the point in them all playing that passage, there must be a hefty amount of editing going on to make it sound like less of a mess.  For example, after watching the Wasted Years clip on the F666 dvd you can see Jan is playing the intro lick along with H, but you really cant hear his guitar at all... and after hearing the mess that is the 'unison' during H's Trooper solo I'm kinda glad WY is mixed that way.  I'm not bashing or anything, I love Maiden and always have but the triple guitar thing gets a little cluttered when its not used right, IMO.  I realise that the older songs were not written with 3 guitars in mind so theres gotta be some kind of clash.  But songs like Rime and Wrathchild (where H plays drop d) are reworked excellently for the 3 guitars, as well as the new stuff (Brave New World, Ghost of the Navigator etc.)

I always thought that older songs from RiR and DOTR did not sound like they had 3 guitars on them, and probably for the reasons you state, but I felt like I could hear three guitars more clearly and they sounded better on the songs played on F666, which is what makes me really like this live album more than the previous releases.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: June 09, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »
bump since today is the release of Flight 666 on CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray in the USA today.  Heading to Best Buy soon.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: June 09, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »
Ahhh, enjoy it!  We got it on the 23rd of May or something.  Pwnage.

(Fun editing blooper if you watch H's tshirt during Wasted Years :tup)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #154 on: June 09, 2009, 03:57:52 PM »
Got the CD today :metal

No DVD, apparently my dad didn't order it, but it's recorded on my DVR

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: June 10, 2009, 12:11:01 AM »
Got the CD today :metal

No DVD, apparently my dad didn't order it, but it's recorded on my DVR

Bought it today at best buy for $14.99, which is a great price for a Blu-Ray disc.  The DVD and CD were $11.99 each which are also a great prices.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: June 10, 2009, 08:46:27 AM »
Just picked up the CD and DVD of Flight 666. I started with Powerslave. That ever so slightly drawn out ending reminded me of being at the concert. I really felt when they played that ending, it really charged up the show another notch. It was a subtle but brilliant move, timed in the set.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2009, 09:21:25 AM »
Documentary and concert were both pretty awesome, watched it yesterday.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2009, 09:43:55 AM »
Recorded concert and doc on Palladia, but will be buying the DVD anyway.  I can't say how awesome they both are quite enough times.  Also: Iron Maiden track pack for people who play Rock Band!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »
The footage from Columbia has to be seen to be believed!

I had to wipe MY eyes after watching that dude with the drumstick after the show.

WOW!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #160 on: June 10, 2009, 12:53:17 PM »
I was just listening to Hallowed Be Thy Name and it struck me how epic the song is. How Dickinson holds that first note for /ages/ at the start is just the beginning  :hat

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #161 on: June 10, 2009, 01:00:32 PM »
I fucking loved the Mexico footage. I was at that concert and it was absolutely stellar. I love how the guy that was selling that figure to Nikko tried to get 350 dollars for it, they are worth 10 dollars at much.  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #162 on: June 10, 2009, 02:34:47 PM »
I'm on Flight 666 (very small)

Edit:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 05:31:51 PM by Scard »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: June 10, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »
I fucking loved the Mexico footage. I was at that concert and it was absolutely stellar. I love how the guy that was selling that figure to Nikko tried to get 350 dollars for it, they are worth 10 dollars at much.  :lol

There are so many good lols in this movie, especially second time around.  My favourite is the Costa Rica (?) guy "Aww, Iron Maiden, wouldnt it be great to see these guys live!?  But wait, aww no, shame, we live in de ass of de world."

:lol

Offline Bandit Manatee

« Reply #164 on: June 10, 2009, 03:42:18 PM »
The Japanese girl who wanted to be Steve's daughter was pretty great.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: June 10, 2009, 03:46:07 PM »
The footage from Columbia has to be seen to be believed!

I had to wipe MY eyes after watching that dude with the drumstick after the show.

WOW!!

Honestly my favorite scene in the movie.  Also, Steve Harris' daughters are incredibly attractive.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2009, 03:46:33 PM »
The Japanese girl who wanted to be Steve's daughter was pretty great.

"Stay Heavy"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2009, 05:15:40 AM »
  we live in de ass of de world."

:lol

Yes! I was laughing out loud at that. A classic line!

Offline weirdharold2112

• Level-21 Henchman
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2009, 05:39:35 AM »
Received the Flight 666 DVD in the mail this week, although it might be a little while before I can get around to watching it.

Top 5 Favorite Maiden albums
1. The Number of the Beast
2. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
3. Somewhere in Time
4. Piece of Mind
5. A Matter of Life and Death

BTW, Maiden is slotted behind Rush & then Dream Theater at #3 on my All-Time list.

Not sure I can actually rank my favorite Maiden songs, but here are some of them in random order:
Wasted Years
Run to the Hills
The Clansman
The Evil That Men Do
The Trooper
2 Minutes to Midnight
Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Prisoner
Phantom of the Opera
Prodigal Son
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Childhood's End
Montsegur
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Flight of Icarus
Remember Tomorrow

Hmm.  Guess I know whose catalog I'll be going through at work today.  :metal

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2009, 06:55:17 AM »
There was a short interview with Dickinson in my local paper today, and I went  :o because I've never seen Iron Maiden mentioned, ever, in it.  Or any metal for that matter.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2009, 07:54:33 AM »
I'm on Flight 666 (very small)

Edit:
*snip*

I was also at the show but I can't be bothered to try to find myself in the video, I'm probably somewhere in that screenshot, though.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2009, 09:17:45 AM »
The soundtrack is fantastic.  Maybe too early for me since I haven't listened to it more than a couple times, but it may be the best live album to listen to by Maiden.  The sound is fantastic and some of the old songs with the 3 guitars sound much better than they did on RiR and DOTR.  Also ROTAM being played is like icing on the cake. 

At best, it will probably come in at 3 or 4 for me. It currently is four but it could overtake Beast Over Hammersmith over time.

My biggest complaint is the fact that the CD is not edited to sound like a complete show. It really irritates me to no end that the audience fades in and out between songs. I understand and have no issues with how it is done on the DVD, but the CD should have been tweaked to give it the flow of a full show. Sure it will sound odd when he references different cities, but it would flow a lot better as a live album (Tesla did this with their RePlugged Live, with the stage banter referencing different cites at times, but it still was edited to sound like one concert).

As for where this ranks on the Maiden Live CD Release list:

1 - Live After Death (still number one - this CD will be hard to top in its full 20-song glory, including the original five Hammersmith tracks and the 3 songs on the Castle Records re-release: Murders in the Rue Morgue, Sanctuary and Losfer Words)
2 - Rock n Rio
3 - Beast Over Hammersmith
4 - Flight 666
5 - Live at the BBC
6 - A Real Live/Dead One
7 - Maiden Japan
8 - Death On The Road

(not ranked is Live at Donnington simply because I don't have it, but I suspect it will fall around ARL/DO)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2009, 11:01:27 AM »
Beast Over Hammersmith isnt a full concert though unless you have something I don't have.  I think Bruce sounds so much better now than he did in that concert.

The best would be between RiR and F666 for me.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2009, 11:26:41 AM »
Beast Over Hammersmith isnt a full concert though unless you have something I don't have.  I think Bruce sounds so much better now than he did in that concert.

The best would be between RiR and F666 for me.

The 2CD set that came in the Eddie's Casket box set is the full concert if I am not mistaken. If it is not, what exactly is missing?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2009, 01:15:29 PM »
Tough to see Death On The Road ranked last though. I love that album!