Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 134224 times)

Offline Spiritus

Re: Riverside (merged thread)
« Reply #910 on: August 21, 2020, 03:32:41 PM »
Dont get why he is releasing stuff under his name when lunatic soul is his solo work.  Spreading thin.  Then again i guess i dont mind cause this i dont really care for but do love me some lunatic soul.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #911 on: August 22, 2020, 12:05:32 PM »
I haven't kept up with any Riverside news lately, but has it been said if they've been working on any new material lately? Just curious as Riverside has crept up my list of favorite bands over the last decade or so, and I've really enjoyed their last few albums. I'll be honest, though, I haven't listened to Wasteland as much as I'd like, but oddly enough, I can say that I've listened to EOTS a *lot* and really enjoy it. The atmospheric feels of the whole album just puts me at ease, and it's a great album to wind down to after a long day.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #912 on: August 23, 2020, 06:40:44 PM »
Hadn't heard of these guys till reading the Haken thread yesterday.  I downloaded ADHD last night and listened to it on the way home and to work today.  So far so good!  Looking forward to another good band to add to the mix!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #913 on: August 23, 2020, 08:08:35 PM »
Hadn't heard of these guys till reading the Haken thread yesterday.  I downloaded ADHD last night and listened to it on the way home and to work today.  So far so good!  Looking forward to another good band to add to the mix!

Going backwards from there is a pretty good move. The first three albums are much more of a blend of progressive rock and metal.

Don’t get me wrong, I still like the three albums that come after, but they definitely go for a much more atmospheric “slow build“ kind of a feel.  And you can tell from the 2nd disc of SONGS (which also later appeared on their experimental compilation Eye of the Soundscape) that they were totally trying to go in that direction. Some of their more experimental instrumental stuff bordered on New Age
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #914 on: August 23, 2020, 08:29:13 PM »

Going backwards from there is a pretty good move.

But then you'll get Rapid Eye Movement next, and you don't want that :neverusethis:

Riverside for me is like the Star Trek movies (or so I've heard) where the even-numbered releases are the best ones. Though I do like SONGS and Wasteland.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #915 on: August 24, 2020, 01:42:00 AM »
from Mariusz Duda Instagram post a couple of days ago:
I have also honed my skills in writing longer pieces this year I will be setting my new personal best as there will be an almost 28-minute suite on the new Lunatic Soul album.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: August 24, 2020, 08:03:04 AM »
I've had the chorus to #Addicted in my head all afternoon at work, that is a very appropriately titled song.

"Dreaming inside ouuuuuut"
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: August 24, 2020, 11:45:29 AM »

Going backwards from there is a pretty good move. The first three albums are much more of a blend of progressive rock and metal.

Don’t get me wrong, I still like the three albums that come after, but they definitely go for a much more atmospheric “slow build“ kind of a feel.  And you can tell from the 2nd disc of SONGS (which also later appeared on their experimental compilation Eye of the Soundscape) that they were totally trying to go in that direction. Some of their more experimental instrumental stuff bordered on New Age
Thanks for the tips!  So backwards in the discography is more prog metal and forward is lighter more atmospheric?  After a couple spins now I'm really digging tracks 3 and 4.  Egoist Hedonist and Left Out.  Not that the other tracks aren't good, just that the 2 I listed really caught my attention on the very first spin.  If the later stuff get's too new age or less rock and more ethereal they might lose me.  I'll reserve judgement till then.  For now I will enjoy the ride.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: August 24, 2020, 11:51:08 AM »
ADHD is definitely their heaviest record. It's not getting into any of the new age territory I'd say, but every other album is definitely mellower than ADHD.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: August 25, 2020, 03:15:27 AM »
Been spinning Second Life Syndrome for a day or two now. That title track is great. I like the Floydian intro, very Shine On.

As usual the production is stellar, great bass tone on every album so far.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #920 on: August 30, 2020, 07:34:35 AM »
New Maciej Meller single

https://youtu.be/X2Q_g3P5dyg

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #921 on: August 31, 2020, 08:11:51 AM »
I've kinda hit a brick wall with Riverside. I've only got LF&TM, and it's kind of cemented what I think of when I think of Riverside's music, ie. slow-building, atmospheric, not particularly *thrilling* or complex in a DT/Haken way.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #922 on: August 31, 2020, 08:26:09 AM »
Anno Domini High Definition
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: August 31, 2020, 09:18:41 AM »
Anno Domini High Definition

That seem to be the one I return to the most. Especially Driven To Destruction.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #924 on: August 31, 2020, 10:36:45 AM »
I've kinda hit a brick wall with Riverside. I've only got LF&TM, and it's kind of cemented what I think of when I think of Riverside's music, ie. slow-building, atmospheric, not particularly *thrilling* or complex in a DT/Haken way.
It's not really representative of their overall music, that's a pretty mellow album. Their previous records are way heavier, and with more intricate composition. Give Anno Domini a chance, it's their best one.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #925 on: September 03, 2020, 10:37:22 AM »
From MD Instagram;

'All the fans of physical media can now breathe a sigh of relief because both Riverside and Lunatic Soul are preparing something for collectors this year. There will be two live releases from Riverside (more about them soon on the band's website), and two versions of the new Lunatic Soul album, standard and extended. The release date of the latter is fast approaching and on September 10th, I will reveal the exact date, as well as the cover, the title, and the tracklist of perhaps the most ambitious and elaborate work in my career. So be ready :)'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #926 on: September 03, 2020, 10:59:37 AM »

You'll probably enjoy Out of Myself.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #927 on: September 03, 2020, 11:04:12 AM »

Wat? That's one of their most slow and atmospheric releases. Besides, as I've so explicitly been trying to communicate, listening to any other album besides ADHD next is the objectively incorrect choice. :neverusethis:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: September 03, 2020, 11:07:00 AM »
I don't like ADHD that much, but if you want thrilling in a DT/Haken way then yeah, you should go with ADHD.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #929 on: September 03, 2020, 12:13:28 PM »
ADHD is by far my favorite album of theirs. In particular, I love Hybrid Times. To be honest, it is the ONLY song I've ever heard where using blast beats fit and are not gratuitous or just plain stupid. The whole way that part of the song just builds up is so intense. Would love to see them go back to that style again.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #930 on: September 03, 2020, 01:41:11 PM »

Wat? That's one of their most slow and atmospheric releases. Besides, as I've so explicitly been trying to communicate, listening to any other album besides ADHD next is the objectively incorrect choice. :neverusethis:

Oddly enough, I haven't heard much of ADHD or SONGS.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline faizoff

« Reply #931 on: September 03, 2020, 01:44:42 PM »
From MD Instagram;

'All the fans of physical media can now breathe a sigh of relief because both Riverside and Lunatic Soul are preparing something for collectors this year. There will be two live releases from Riverside (more about them soon on the band's website), and two versions of the new Lunatic Soul album, standard and extended. The release date of the latter is fast approaching and on September 10th, I will reveal the exact date, as well as the cover, the title, and the tracklist of perhaps the most ambitious and elaborate work in my career. So be ready :)'

That's awesome. I was kinda disappointed though the Reality Dream 6 CD set didn't come with any booklet. Their live albums are hard to get.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #932 on: September 03, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »

Oddly enough, I haven't heard much of ADHD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #933 on: September 03, 2020, 02:17:57 PM »

Oddly enough, I haven't heard much of ADHD

:rollin

Doesn't help it's not on Spotify either. Although, SONGS is and am listening to it right now.  :tup

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #934 on: September 03, 2020, 02:20:53 PM »
Doesn't help it's not on Spotify either. Although, SONGS is and am listening to it right now.  :tup

Ugh... (not annoyed at you, annoyed at Spotify) it actually is but it's erroneously listed as an EP and buried in the "EPs and Singles" section. ::) Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen... I think some distributors look at an album with 6-5 songs or less and just assume it's an EP without even bothering to check the lengths.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #935 on: September 03, 2020, 02:42:52 PM »

Ugh... (not annoyed at you, annoyed at Spotify) it actually is but it's erroneously listed as an EP and buried in the "EPs and Singles" section. ::) Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen... I think some distributors look at an album with 6-5 songs or less and just assume it's an EP without even bothering to check the lengths.

:lol  :facepalm:

Found it.

Offline robbob

« Reply #936 on: September 03, 2020, 07:30:16 PM »
One of my favorite bands, own and like all of their albums. Love the atmospheric vibe in their music and how a lot of their songs build up slowly in tempo or feel, but it never gets old! Amazing. Looking forward to live release.

Favorite albums are ADHD, heavy and their "Prog Metal album" even though Left Out is one of their best songs and is the most mellow on the album.

Second Life Syndrome, best of the 1st 3 classic albums, title track is also one of their best.

SONGS, a mix of everything that is Riverside IMO.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #937 on: September 04, 2020, 02:36:11 AM »
During the live concert with them last year they played Egoist Hedonist and I was just blooooown to pieces. Thankfully there's a YouTube video from Woodstock that captures a good part of the feeling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTHwhkRO1UQ

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #938 on: September 04, 2020, 09:25:38 AM »
When I saw them live they only played the first part of it and then moved onto a different song :'( Same with Second Life Syndrome.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: September 04, 2020, 11:26:18 AM »
During the live concert with them last year they played Egoist Hedonist and I was just blooooown to pieces. Thankfully there's a YouTube video from Woodstock that captures a good part of the feeling:

That was awesome!  I really enjoyed watching that. :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline faizoff

« Reply #940 on: September 04, 2020, 11:48:06 AM »

That was awesome!  I really enjoyed watching that. :)

That was indeed amazing, thanks for sharing.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: September 04, 2020, 09:28:00 PM »
Happy 5th birthday to Love, Fear and the Time Machine. I love everything about this album.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:44:48 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline robbob

« Reply #942 on: September 04, 2020, 09:39:02 PM »

FUCKIN A, that smoked, amazing.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #943 on: September 05, 2020, 06:37:55 AM »
From MD Instagram;

Didn't see this post before - thanks for the head's up Graham! Really looking forward to what they're going to be releasing.

Can't get enough of this band, and this thread has gotten me digging back into their catalog. Am listening to Memories In My Head as I type this.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #944 on: September 07, 2020, 02:08:40 AM »
Happy you liked the video!  :metal

Riverside are really awesome live. So much groove and energy!