Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 131957 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Riverside (merged thread)
« Reply #840 on: October 03, 2018, 09:13:14 AM »
Many people, once they perceive they've reached certain status or mastery, tend to go back and shit on the thing that brought them to the place they are, like somehow they are better than what X would describe. And it's true in some cases that technically they aren't "progressive metal" if by that term all you think about is Dream Theater. Meanwhile, here is Riverside in 2018 playing at a Prog Festival https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS9bHNVyESU

The progressive metal bubble has grown immensely in the last 20 years and it can be used to describe a wide range of styles. If not for else, it exposes you to a decent audience with a high chance of capturing a good chunk of them and trying to distance yourself from that label is just cringy as fuck, imo.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #841 on: October 03, 2018, 09:32:10 AM »
I agree with Abydos, for the most part.  I don't disagree with Mariusz not considering Riverside metal - a lot of people don't.  To me they're more or less right on the border. ADHD was metal, Love, Fear, and the Time Machine not, and for the other albums, I could see people going with either prog metal or prog rock and I have no issues with either.  To say they're not progressive at all though just seems silly.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #842 on: October 03, 2018, 02:58:46 PM »
Every time a musician says something like that, I write this comment: it's interesting how bands like to act like they're above genres (same thing happens in literature) until it's time to sell an album, then their albums come very neatly labelled to our journalist inboxes and in their press kits it's very clearly laid out what the sound, genre label, FFO is. Oh and when it's time to play on the prog festival circuit, and accept a Prog Mag award. They're not trying to play more general interest music festivals outside Poland, they haven't had their album reviewed on Pitchfork, they are on the biggest label for progressive music and on websites that sell new music their music isn't pitched to, like, Nick Cave fans, so talk is cheap. For Steven Wilson you can argue that he's crossed over to a point, they haven't even started yet.

I used to be nonplussed about this, really musicians have the right to label their music whatever they want. But it's not my friends who listen to melancholic rock and zero prog and metal who buy Riverside albums and pay their bills, it's my friends who listen to prog metal. Genres are only partially about the sound - they're also about the scene and about what people who listen to your stuff also like. It's a small scene that doesn't earn you much money or respect - but going outside it would earn them less of both.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:06:20 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #843 on: October 04, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »
For me it's bit depending on the situation.

When Steven Wilson dismisses the "prog" label and bashes other prog bands and says he doesn't want to be lumped into that category, to me it's a bit stupid because you are what you are and taking a stand against it just seems rather silly to me. I think his general message seems to be "i'm so much more than just prog rock" which is fine (and correct) but you can still say it in a way that doesn't sound like you're mocking the very thing that made you popular.

With Riverside and the "we're not prog metal" it doesn't really bother me, because I never viewed Riverside as being metal. They have some songs that are a bit heavier, like ADHD as an album for example, but in a wide spectrum of progressive bands I'd put them closer to Pink Floyd than Opeth in terms of heaviness. To me Riverside is a progressive rock band so the comments about them not being metal doesn't really seem too weird to me.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #844 on: October 04, 2018, 01:02:21 PM »
I really liked "The Struggle For Survival" and it may not be one of the best songs they have ever done, but not one of the worst either.

However, I must say I don't understand Mariusz's issue with being classified as "progressive metal."  I listened to a few interviews with him in advance of the album and he said he prefers the term "melancholic alternative rock" or something like that.  Then yesterday on Instagram he criticized Spotify for listing the new album as progressive metal.  He's now the third musician in recent years to try to distance himself from the prog metal classification.  Daniel Gildenlow did it about 5-6 years ago in interviews during the Road Salt albums, then Steven Wilson during his To The Bone interviews, and now Mariusz.
I don't consider them metal nor prog. They definitely have elements of both prog and metal in some songs, but generally they are neither. I'd agree with Mariusz' definition. You show a general prog metal band to someone who doesn't like metal nor prog and they usually hate it. It is not the case with Riverside. They are more "commercial" and easy for the average listener to get and digest.
But that stuff really doesn't matter and everybody's genre definition varies. Ultimately the more strict and the more you go into detail trying to analyze how a band sounds and define it, the more abstract and subjective it gets.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline T-ski

« Reply #846 on: October 11, 2018, 01:38:08 PM »
Finally got around to giving this a listen, not sure what to think.

I was encouraged by the three tracks released prior to the album coming out, but I think the overall vibe is just to dark for me.

Musically it still sounds like Riverside even without Piotr, but the vocals are a head scratcher for sure. "Guardian Angel" is beautiful, but I do not care for the low register take on the vocals and  I kind of feel the same vibe on the title track.

The instrumental was a mess at the beginning but came together okay as it went along.

The closing track is very emotional but again, the theme is not something I want to have repeated listens to.

Right now I'd have to rank this as disappointing, but we'll see what repeated listenings will do.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #847 on: October 15, 2018, 04:26:27 AM »
I am listening to it for the fifth time. I think it is one of their best.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #848 on: October 15, 2018, 10:25:31 AM »
First listen just completed and I am taken with the emotional vibe of this album. I personally loved every second of it and can't wait to repeat my listens.

As far as labelling the type of music I don't really care that much. 15 years ago I probably would have been very particular on the type of label. I too never thought of the band as any kind of metal. They definitely have some heavy songs but whatever I grow to love their later albums more and more.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #849 on: October 15, 2018, 03:32:45 PM »
It's weird. I like this album, I think it's lovely and beautiful, like all their other albums. However, I can't determine whether this album, LFATTM or ADHD are my least favorite, and the fact that two out of three latest are my least favorites and there is no more Piotr gives me pause. I really wouldn't like my future with Riverside to be the one where the last album that hit me really REALLY hard and cracked my top three was SONGS, forever (though there is still hope for Love/Fear, it's just that ever since Piotr died I couldn't finish the album so it hasn't stuck with me like all the other ones have).

I like a more minimal Riverside but I like it best when it's a reprise (Coda) or a breather between a few tracks. This album had a loooong mellow section, which is fairly unusual for them, and as much as I love the songs themselves, I can't get into the track order. During the first few minutes of the instrumental, I thought "hmmm this is going to come together any second into something even better than Second Life Syndrome" but that never happened and I can see myself skipping it on future replays.

When I stop nitpicking, I love most of the music on it, just maybe not in that order :lol it's also very weird listening to it when next to every guitar lead part you can hear what Piotr would have played in its place. I love bands where every member is absolutely essential to the sound...  :(
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 03:45:09 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: October 26, 2018, 01:28:55 PM »
"The Night Before" is such a hauntingly beautiful tune.  It gives me chills with every listen, even if I listen 10 times in a row.  Chill after chill after chill.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #851 on: October 26, 2018, 04:53:35 PM »
Seriously? For me it is the weakest track on the album.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #852 on: October 29, 2018, 08:15:59 AM »
I liked the album quite a bit overall, but it's clearly one of their weaker ones, imo. It's quite subdued and samey and as I said earlier, the two long tracks being a waste of time doesn't help and I don't really find myself going back to the album since the initial hype.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #853 on: October 29, 2018, 09:32:16 AM »
The only track that has grabbed me was Lament. Nice atmosphere there. On the other hand River Dowm Below seems so unfinished even soundwise.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline jammindude

« Reply #854 on: October 29, 2018, 10:53:54 PM »
I haven't had a chance to really take in the album yet.  (when I got it in the mail, I was on a hardcore IQ kick...then I went of vacation...and since I've been back I've been spinning the new Haken)

But I will say that post-ADHD Riverside has become an extremely different band.  ADHD, was their heaviest (and IMO, most catchy) album.   But everything after that has been.....looooonnngggg drawn out atmosphere.   It was a very jarring change at first for me.   But it was the Memories in My Head EP that helped the new style to click in my head.    Not sure I ever truly understood the phrase "It's not what you play, it's what you don't play" until that EP clicked with me.    There are just long sections of doing nothing but building the mood before anything happens.      It's not always what I'm in the mood for, but when it is, it's really brilliant.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Pettor

« Reply #855 on: November 05, 2018, 11:15:27 AM »
Found that ADHD exists in Spotify but was categorized as an EP, so it's not shown together with the other albums. Not sure if I just missed it before or if the finally added it but super good news for me! Looooooove ADHD  :metal :hefdaddy

Offline pfillion

« Reply #856 on: November 10, 2018, 02:14:07 PM »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #857 on: November 11, 2018, 03:33:24 AM »
I need to give Wastelands more spins, but I liked it better than I feared I would, with Piotr being gone and all. There are some beautiful tunes here. Early favourites are River Down Below, Lament and The Night Before.

My initial impression was still that it's one of the weaker Riverside albums, but that's more on the strength of the rest of their discography and not exactly a slight on Wastelands. I remember thinking similarly about LFATT, and while that is probably my least favourite of their albums (not counting Wastelands yet), I still very much enjoy it.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #858 on: November 20, 2018, 12:31:46 PM »
Just saw that Riverside will be visiting in March. Hype! Never seen them live.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #859 on: December 23, 2018, 01:46:03 PM »
Hey y'all, I've always enjoyed Riverside but never actually taken the time to get into them until recently. Slowly making my way through the catalogue thanks to a dude I'm dating who has lent me all the CDs. We were just sitting here listening to Ultimate Trip and neither of us can figure out what the fuck it is that he is singing/repeating towards the end- anybody?
Also, super pumped to see them in Boulder in the spring!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #860 on: March 11, 2019, 06:37:48 AM »
Tomorrow is the first time I'll see them live. To my great regret, I only recently realized that they've been here 2 or 3 times and I didn't even know. It was during some low periods for me where I wasn't very interested in anything (where I even skipped the Anathema show at the Ancient Roman Theatre which is 10 minutes from me).

On a side note, what do you guys think is the best song to recommend to someone (very skilled guitar player) who hasn't heard of Riverside that best showcases the style and creativity of Piotr?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #861 on: March 11, 2019, 11:08:01 AM »
On a side note, what do you guys think is the best song to recommend to someone (very skilled guitar player) who hasn't heard of Riverside that best showcases the style and creativity of Piotr?
I really love his playing on Loose Heart - atmospheric verses that remind me of Steve Rothery's style on Marillion's late 80s albums, soulful soloing, and then that heavy ending.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: March 12, 2019, 12:40:34 PM »

The vinyl reissues of Riverside's second, third & fourth albums are out this Friday 15th March. Pre-order below.

Second Life Syndrome: https://Riverside.lnk.to/SecondLifeSyndromeReissue
Rapid Eye Movement: https://Riverside.lnk.to/RapidEyeMovementReIssue
Anno Domini High Definition: https://Riverside.lnk.to/AnnoDominiHighDefinitionReissue

Offline frogprog

« Reply #863 on: March 15, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »
Dang, all the colored vinyls are out of stock?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #864 on: March 15, 2019, 03:46:18 PM »
The show was amazing. The only bad thing was that they did the two longest track from Wasteland, which I find very boring. The rest of the set was great.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #865 on: March 30, 2019, 10:56:40 AM »
Watched Riverside yesterday in Gothenburg. Have known this band for a long time (since Second Life Syndrome) but for last 2 years really gotten into their catalog. I really love Wasteland, Second Life Syndrom and ADHD. Was very excited to see them for my first time!

A bit of spoilers below for the setlist!

The show started with Acid Rain and I thought it was good but lacked a bit of energy from the cd. Was a bit worried at that point that maybe their live performances was gonna be good, but that DT set a too high. I was wrong ...

When the band finished playing Acid Rain they already felt more comfortable, or at least warmed up. They talked a bit with the audience and I noticed that the band is actually far from an introvert band but rather the opposite. They love interacting and continuously asked the audience to get dancing, clapping and singing along. And actually, we all did! I have never seen this reaction to a progressive band before.

The show was played in concert hall where everyone is seated. The good part is that the sound is always unbelievable but for the band having a seated crowd was new. When they started to bring out some classic songs like the intro to Saturate Me followed and Second Life Syndrome the crowd already began to stand up. You can feel how much the band loves to stand on stage. They are happy, they get into the groove over and over again and specially Michał (keyboardist) is such a burst of happiness. He is constantly laughing, digging, grooving and interacting with the audience.

I love ADHD so when Left Out started playing I got one of those nirvana feelings. They did it sooooooooooo good. So tight. So groovy. It was long since I felt the same thing during a concert! At this point any feelings I had in the beginning was so washed away. The band did fantastic playing and Mariusz singing is perfect. Don't understand how he can focus on bass and sing like that at the same time :)

The set just continued and then they played Egoist Hedonist. Once again. ADHD songs live are unbelievable! I think it was even better than the CD. People even danced at this point! :omg: I have not seen that during a progressive metal show :D

When the show ended I couldn't believe they played for 2 hours. I felt like at most 1 hour. People were all very happy and talked to each other on the way out about how fantastic the experience was.

If you like Riverside (even just a little) and they are playing, do yourself a favor and just watch it  :hefdaddy

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #866 on: April 16, 2019, 07:39:55 AM »
The show started with Acid Rain and I thought it was good but lacked a bit of energy from the cd.
That's interesting, because at the show I went to my first reaction was "wow, this sounds so much punchier than on the album". :D Speaking of which, my review of that gig can be read here.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #867 on: April 19, 2019, 12:24:19 AM »
Thats a great set list.

Playing two of my faves from Out of Myself is a neat surprise. Wish I lived over there so I could see them
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline frogprog

« Reply #868 on: May 11, 2019, 06:04:41 AM »
Great show last night in Philly at the World Cafe Live. Did anybody else see it? The show featured quite a few numbers from the current album and they all sounded great! Mariah is such a fantastic bass player and singer.My only complaint is that they cut the second part of Second Life Syndrome from the arrangement which is my favorite part! They also cut the end piano part of Panic Room where it gets mellow. All in all a great show, I'm surprised I haven't seen more talk of their tour here.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #869 on: May 11, 2019, 06:06:15 AM »
Meant to say Mariusz is a fantastic bass player and singer

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #870 on: May 11, 2019, 06:16:25 AM »
Seeing them Sunday!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #871 on: May 11, 2019, 06:57:46 AM »
Seeing them Friday  :coolio

Offline frogprog

« Reply #872 on: May 11, 2019, 03:12:13 PM »
Enjoy fellas!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #873 on: May 11, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »
That Philly show was glorious. I've seen them eight times now I believe, and with one exception they always sound so pure and great live it's hard to describe, but last night's show was probably my favorite of the bunch.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #874 on: May 13, 2019, 06:45:03 AM »
What a fantastic show in Cambridge,  Massachusetts last night.  I finally got to see them live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC