Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 134130 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Riverside (merged thread)
« Reply #805 on: September 11, 2018, 11:06:20 AM »
Yeah, especially part starting at the 2:00. It still sounds like Riverside but with some nice fresh new sounds. I read some comparisons with Mariusz' Lunatic Soul, I never got into it so I can't say. Maybe it's just more of him and less of the rest of the band this time. Don't know how big Piotr's role was...
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline pfillion

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #808 on: September 17, 2018, 09:58:43 PM »
Cant wait till next week.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pfillion

« Reply #809 on: September 18, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »
Yes me too ;)

Here's another review from a Polish website: https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=https://mlwz.pl/recenzje/plyty/20402-riverside-wasteland&prev=search

Riverside - Wasteland
Maurycy Nowakowski ,

17/09/2018 Riverside - Wasteland

In a few days on the shelves of music stores will be the long-awaited release, the seventh album Riverside - one of the most important post-progressive groups in Europe. "Wasteland" is a completely new hand, probably the beginning of a new trilogy, and certainly the most important and the most difficult attempt to face the lack of Piotr Grudziński, a guitarist who died unexpectedly more than two and a half years ago. In order to look at this new album with a sufficiently wide context, we have to return to the events from three years ago.

Autumn 2015. After nearly fifteen years of existence and the release of the sixth, best accepted album, which was then "Love, Fear and the Time Machine", Riverside had theoretically had the right to experience some comfort. Maturity, ingenuity and consistency have resulted in artistic and commercial success, as well as a marked increase in interest from a diverse public, both Polish and foreign. It was the culmination of a long, bumpy road to success, but the satisfaction did not last long and the team mentioned above did not have time to experience it. The rest is a story that everyone knows and can not forget. At the end of February 2016, the guitarist Piotr Grudziński dies for a moment before his fortieth first birthday and a large concert tour, which was to strengthen Riverside's position. Recent successes covered a long and gloomy shadow of despair, and the year 2016 instead of an ambitious world tour, she described mourning.

The concerts were canceled, and the team, already in the three-person squad, had to answer themselves and fans to the question of whether there was still a "tomorrow" for Riverside after this loss. There was no doubt. Wyrwa after the death of December, both emotional and musical, was enormous, and his contribution to the unique character of the band's music was difficult to overestimate. It was necessary to decide whether and how to rebuild the team. The fate of Riverside weighed for several months. Also thanks to the great support of thousands of fans from around the world, the group finally decided to take this glove thrown by fate. Mariusz Duda, Piotr Kozieradzki and Michał Łapaj resumed Riverside's activity in 2017 as a trio, and Maciej Meller took the free position of the guitarist on the concert tour. Trio plus Meller passed the concert test. The team in such a composition perfectly coped with playing old material. The second equally important exam was to be a new album. Duda, Kozieradzki and Łapaj were not responsible for sharing music with new music. It was their exam, they decided to approach him in three, not putting on the ranks of a permanent substitute / successor of December. The guitars were supposed to take over mainly the leader and the main composer Mariusz Duda, and only in a few places give the field guests invited to Maciej Meller and Mateusz Owczarkowi. Work on the new material was supposed to run under the slogan: there are three of us left, so we have to manage in three!

It may sound controversial, but the trauma for Mariusz, Mittloff and Michał was the death of a companion, could either end the story of Riverside, or just the opposite, harden the group and become a fuel to record a very good album. After all, music is a creative "matter" extremely emotional and created even to convey those states, which can not be conveyed with a word or a particular image. And so in the mind of Mariusz Duda final shapes began to take the idea for an album in a post-apocalyptic climate, quite universal, but let's face it - strongly also referring to the "end of the world", which was the death of Piotr for the riversaid environment.

The genesis of the uprising is briefly reminded, so let's move to the merits of the already finished work, the seventh studio full-length Riverside album under the title "Wasteland". The album is not easy, does not come in as smoothly and smoothly as its predecessor ("Love, Fear and the Time Machine"), a rough album, certainly very dark, heavy both thematically and musically, sometimes dirtier and feisty, at moments very moving, slowly showing your numerous advantages. But most of all, the album carrying perhaps the largest emotional load in the current Riverside achievements.

In terms of form and design, the band largely continues its evolutionary path, proposing nine tracks, none of which exceeds ten minutes. Which does not mean that the album lacks complex, complex compositions. Riverside already on the previous album proved that he can so compress ideas to create an intense and diverse five-six-minute song and not to stretch the composition to the framework of a few-minute suite. A great example is the already known "Vale of Tears", but this type of song is also the second on the album "Acid Rain". The first three minutes of this issue are heavy, dark gaming, based on a surprisingly feisty metal riff and sombre keyboard chords over which the monumental, slightly Gothic vocal of Duda is dominating. After three minutes the arrangement gently melts, nice, singing guitar performances appear, Catch reaches for a lighter palette of colors, and Duda's catchy vocals (they should be great at concerts) make the end of the composition almost optimistic. This note of optimism, lightness and space is an exception on the album. In the majority of dynamic works we deal with a very tight, dense and raw sound, and the usually responsible for space Łapaj still compresses compositions, using low and dark sounds and serving non-contrasting parts, and more often complementing with guitars. This is the idea for the sound of this album and the band consistently keeps it. If music is to be told about the post-apocalyptic world, speech could not be said about the sound space and pastel melodies from "Love, Fear and the Time Machine".

The strongest points of the record are, in my opinion, two "longitudes". The title track, over 8-minute "Westland", was the only song on the record constructed as part of the Riverside mini-suite. The folk start based on the energetic theme served by the acoustic guitar does not herald a storm that will unfold in the fourth minute. The dignified vocals of Dudy and pleasant inclusions served by Lapy on the piano are supposed to bring to mind the Slavic tradition of constructing ballads, but also the fans of Jethro Tull can feel the warmth at heart. At the end of the third minute, this folk tale breaks the dynamic entrance of Mittloff's drums and art-rock broken motif that will smoothly move the band to the second part of the song. A powerful guitar riff instantly transfers the band into metal regions and for the next minute "Wasteland" in the dynamic instrumental part will be balancing between artrock and metal. The idyllic folk atmosphere will come back again in the fifth and sixth minutes, but the track does not lose anything from its drama anyway. Although Duda offers a gentle, almost "feminine" vocal, and the guitar in place of riffs exposes melodies, anxiety rises between the sounds. In the seventh minute, the final blow occurs. Even more sharply exposed, the massive metal riff, strong, ruthless blow by Kozieradzki and piercing sounds of Kejija's keyboards squeeze the largest and last decks of weight and dynamics dormant in "Wasteland".

If you can say "Wasteland" with a grain of salt in a new, more mature and compressed "Dance With the Shadow", I can not find a counterpart in the Riverside discography for the second composition I am honoring. And I think it's an advantage, because in my opinion, the band preparing a piece like "Struggle for Survive" enters new areas of instrumental playing. It does not have much in common with the series "Reality Dream", and completely nothing to do with ambient songs. If "Reality Dream" drew more from progmetal stylistics, so "Struggle for Survive" is dirty, more guitar, raw playing, whose roots I would look for in the "alternative" or progression of the turn of the sixties and seventies. Once it is the raging, sometimes glaring, riffs served by Duda, a bit of a Frippish guitarist Meller's part, mature and strongly scoring Kozieradzki and, as usual, the various parties of Łapyja create a sound cocktail like a very intense, highly absorbing soundtrack. I have not heard such Riverside yet, and I would definitely like this idea to continue to be built and constructed by the band.

I suppose that many fans will win the fifth on the album "Lament", to which we will see the music video at any moment. Formally, the gunpowder team is not here, but a good song, with catchy and heart-catching original melody is always worth its weight in gold. "Lament" is a rock ballad with a strong, monumental chorus, which will probably be beautifully carried in concert halls. The striking phrases of guitars and thumping drums nicely complements the noble sound of the violin from the hand of Michał Jelon. With the rest of his short but moving solo part crowns this work.

All three ballads sound noble and poignant. Fans who value Riverside mainly for songs in the style of "In Two Minds", "Acronym Love" or "Time Travelers" should be satisfied. It is true that we have a surprising vocal novelty, because Duda in the first ballad "Guardian Angel" is experimenting with low singing in the style of Nick Cave, but the effect is as if these low registers were for him everyday bread. This is a nice song with a memorable acoustic motif. The second ballad "River Down Below" is already a bit more complex song. It begins with an intimate, almost lullaby fragment, in which we hear only simple performances of acoustic guitar and Duda's voice, but in the second minute the composition changes a bit of character. A leading melody emerges, the drums enter, and in the background you can hear a pleasantly sobbing guitar. The icing on the cake here is really nice, subtle and intelligently matched Meller's solo.

The strongest emotional blow is waiting for the listener at the end of the album. I will risk the thesis that the ballad "The Night Before" is the most heart-catching song in the band's entire output. Sincere, raw, charged with live emotions, simple piano chords served by Łapyja and Duda's warm voice, these are components of this essentially simple yet extremely powerful and evocative composition. For obvious reasons, I just wanted to hear this Riverside. Simple, raw and hellishly honest. More beautifully this album could not end. Yes, the piano ballad can also be the grand finale of the album.

"Wasteland" is a unique album. It is burdened with the tragic events of the recent past, was recorded by a team that suffered an extremely painful personal loss and on the one hand was supposed to be an exam, and on the other proof that Riverside can go forward without December. It was with great relief that I received these nine new compositions, fifty minutes of premiere music at a very high level, both artistic and emotional. "Wasteland" is a bit different Riverside. Riverside, who does not try to pretend to be the same band. At the moment, it is a band after the breaks, a band with a scar, suggesting music that is dirtier, striking, aggressive, stricter and narrow than sounds. The space and melody of "Love, Fear and the Time Machine" disappeared, the darkness characteristic of "Second Life Syndrome" returned, and some rawness reminiscent of the group's first albums. And Mariusz Duda as a songwriter dealing with the subject of death, the wandering of souls, life after life - in which it may be difficult to believe, because these topics have already moved several times - he has never been so credible.

The final exam for the band will be an autumn tour that will answer the question of how this new material will sound live. But I'm quite calm about that. Apparently, all the material will be in the autumn set, and I bet that a few premiere compositions from the march will become its very strong points. To paraphrase the title of my favorite song from "Wasteland" - riversajdzi struggled for survival. And they survived.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #810 on: September 19, 2018, 10:49:36 AM »
Here's my interview with Mariusz. Notice that many of the questions posted here (if not all) are addressed in my chat with him: https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/riversides-mariusz-duda-piotrs-spirit-is-above-the-whole-new-album

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Offline pfillion

« Reply #811 on: September 19, 2018, 02:32:24 PM »
Here's my interview with Mariusz. Notice that many of the questions posted here (if not all) are addressed in my chat with him: https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/riversides-mariusz-duda-piotrs-spirit-is-above-the-whole-new-album

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Thanks a lot!  Very good interview ;)

Offline pfillion

« Reply #812 on: September 19, 2018, 02:36:47 PM »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: September 19, 2018, 02:50:44 PM »
Great interview!  Didn't get to finish the whole thing yet, but I can't believe he feels like Second Life Syndrome sounds like a demo to him!  That album is pure brilliance.  I wouldn't change a thing.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #814 on: September 19, 2018, 03:28:46 PM »
I think he probably meant it production-wise, which is silly since it sounds great

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #815 on: September 19, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »
Thanks guys...it means a lot!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: September 20, 2018, 10:04:31 AM »
I listened last night to the Mariusz Duda interview posted by Sonic Perspectives and he said of the band's older material: "I'm not a boy anymore singing sad songs about nothing important."  That really hit me for some reason.  He also seems to view Wasteland as almost a Second Life Syndrome Part II, which is cool.  I'm pumped for this album!  The two new singles have grown on me and I really love them both now.  Riverside never disappoints! :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:15:45 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #817 on: September 20, 2018, 11:28:06 AM »
I listened last night to the Mariusz Duda interview posted by Sonic Perspectives and he said of the band's older material: "I'm not a boy anymore singing sad songs about nothing important."  That really hit me for some reason.  He also seems to view Wasteland as almost a Second Life Syndrome Part II, which is cool.  I'm pumped for this album!  The two new singles have grown on me and I really love them both now.  Riverside never disappoints! :)

Yeah, if you read my interview, you'l see that at some point they considered calling it Second life Syndrome Part II, but since this is a completely new chapter for the band, they thought it wouldn't feel right.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #818 on: September 20, 2018, 02:54:33 PM »
per their twitter...

"New song and the video are coming tomorrow! :)"
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #819 on: September 20, 2018, 03:37:16 PM »
per their twitter...

"New song and the video are coming tomorrow! :)"

Damn, nice healthy dose of material from the new album being released. 

This will surely overshadow the fact that we have a podcast coming out tomorrow which has a discussion of this album as the lead topic, but I'll post it up in case anyone is interested.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pfillion

« Reply #820 on: September 21, 2018, 04:44:45 AM »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #822 on: September 21, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »
OMG that was an amazing song. I'll be picking this album up.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pfillion

« Reply #823 on: September 21, 2018, 01:13:43 PM »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #824 on: September 21, 2018, 01:29:12 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for listening!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #825 on: September 21, 2018, 02:30:58 PM »
the new song is easily my favorite of the three released so far.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #827 on: September 27, 2018, 12:52:01 AM »
My local record shop got Wasteland in stock today and I picked up the vinyl and CD at lunch time.
First play through besides the three pre-release songs, 'Guardian Angel' really stood out, that was really pulling on my heartstrings.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #828 on: September 28, 2018, 02:09:23 AM »
Some parts of Struggle for Survival are awesome but overall I feel like it was a waste on this album, was excited to see two long songs at first. The part that starts at 7:04 is very Bond-esque. It's too early to tell as I've only streamed the album twice but initial impressions are very good. I feel even more so about the title track, bummer that the two long songs are the weakest on the album for me. The downside, if you could call it that, is that with the exception of Guardian Angel, the best songs on the album were the ones that they released ahead of time.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 02:28:47 AM by abydos »

Offline Pettor

« Reply #829 on: September 28, 2018, 02:32:25 AM »
My first impression of the album is great! I expect high quality from Riverside and after only listening to it once in full length it's crystal clear to me it delivers on that. It's a bit different of course but still so filled with emotions, proggy sequences and wonderful landscapes I just find myself drifting of, which is the best of critique I can give.

What strikes me with Riverside is that the albums always sounds really good, like production wise. It's diverse, the flow between songs are fantastic and instruments are used to accomplish both atmospheric and instrumental passages where it makes sense. It makes for a very diverse impression imo.

I will enjoy digging deeper into this one for the coming weeks :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 02:40:07 AM by Pettor »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #830 on: September 28, 2018, 04:11:52 AM »
Some parts of Struggle for Survival are awesome but overall I feel like it was a waste on this album, was excited to see two long songs at first. The part that starts at 7:04 is very Bond-esque. It's too early to tell as I've only streamed the album twice but initial impressions are very good. I feel even more so about the title track, bummer that the two long songs are the weakest on the album for me. The downside, if you could call it that, is that with the exception of Guardian Angel, the best songs on the album were the ones that they released ahead of time.

I totally agree, the title track 'Wasteland' is okay but gets bogged down by some boring generic chugging guitar riff, but yes the instrumental is the definite low point of the album.
it kinda feels like a jam and highlights just why the band needs a full time member guitarist involved in the songwriting and arrangements.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #831 on: September 28, 2018, 05:11:54 AM »
Listening to it now. Sounds like Jonas Renkse and Steven Wilson took sedatives and wrote music together. Make of that what you will. I'm not feeling The Struggle For Survival but that's just my first impression. The whole record so far has been lacking that element of beauty I loved about the last record. It's oppressively dreary for my ears, but the production is awesome.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 01:03:43 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: September 28, 2018, 07:34:23 AM »
After the first listen I'm not too big on this.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #833 on: September 28, 2018, 07:54:55 AM »
Here's my ranking with Wasteland included:

1- Second Life Syndrome
2- Out of Myself
3- Rapid Eye Movement
4- Shrine of New Generation Slaves
5- Love, Fear and the Time Machine
6- Anno Domini High Definition
7- Wasteland
8- Memories in My Head
9- Voices in My Head
10- Eye of the Soundscape

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:03:53 AM by pfillion »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #834 on: September 28, 2018, 08:14:29 AM »
First listen and loving it.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #835 on: September 28, 2018, 02:57:39 PM »
Wow it's way too soon for me to decide how it compares to the rest of their albums.  I've listened to it twice, and think I like it.  Riverside albums have always taken time to grow on me so we'll see how this one does.  I'm definitely missing Piotr at times, but I expected that.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #836 on: September 28, 2018, 03:12:33 PM »
Didn't have very high expectations for this album going in, but my first impressions have been surprisingly positive. Doubt I'll end up liking it as much as their three even-numbered albums, but it's probably gonna be fighting with SONGS for the #4 spot.

The Struggle For Survival might be one of the worst songs they've ever recorded though. Should have either been significantly polished and trimmed down or left as a B-side.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #837 on: October 01, 2018, 07:22:11 AM »
Someone should lobby Bethesda to use The Day After for the next Fallout reveal trailer.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #838 on: October 02, 2018, 06:02:22 AM »
More spins and loving it even more.

The Day After is really the "After" for this album. The vocals are just gorgeous here and great to get the album in motion.

Acid Rain is growing like crazy on me. I like the main chorus very much and the break is awesome. Could easily last 2 more minutes imo ;)

Vale of Tears has been given some time now since it was released as a single. Nice tune where the "wading through the desert" going in to the instrumental section is soooo good. The solo at the end is tasty :hat

Guardian Angel is fantastic. One of the highlights. Wonderful atmosphere and I love the way Mariusz sings and all the instrumental layers. Feels like Riverside is one of those bands that can do this sort of track this good.

Lament is a grower as well. Thought it was a bit boring but found it more interesting over time. Once again love a lot of the instrumental layers and additions. "As the rain is pouring down" part is beautiful. Solo is awesome.

A Struggle For Survival is the only miss sorta. I think it's a nice track just that some parts doesn't fit with the other themes. I find myself in a smokey blues club.

River Down Below is already a favorite since it's single release.

I love the start of Wasteland. The instrumental part is a grower and the wailing part at 4:40 that just builds and build is a highlight for the song.

The Night Before is a fantastic closer. Emotional and once again it's easy to drift away.

This is a top 5 Riverside album no doubt for me. Just imagine if DT (which is still my favorite band) would make their song with as much quality focus as Riverside.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: October 03, 2018, 08:53:28 AM »
Truly loving the new album so far!  Damn, I love Riverside.  What a work of art this album is.  "The Night Before" brought me to tears last night.  :o

However, I must say I don't understand Mariusz's issue with being classified as "progressive metal."  I listened to a few interviews with him in advance of the album and he said he prefers the term "melancholic alternative rock" or something like that.  Then yesterday on Instagram he criticized Spotify for listing the new album as progressive metal.  He's now the third musician in recent years to try to distance himself from the prog metal classification.  Daniel Gildenlow did it about 5-6 years ago in interviews during the Road Salt albums, then Steven Wilson during his To The Bone interviews, and now Mariusz.