Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 134039 times)

Online faizoff

Re: Riverside (merged thread)
« Reply #770 on: August 27, 2018, 02:18:44 PM »
Are there any plans for a concert release in Blu-ray? If not, would they consider one with maybe a mix of Piotr's last tour along with a new one.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #771 on: August 28, 2018, 03:13:57 AM »
Thanks pfillion and Sacul! If you have more, please send them through. I have about ten questions written down, but ideally I want to get close to 20.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #772 on: August 28, 2018, 03:14:20 AM »
Thanks faizoff!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #773 on: August 28, 2018, 03:35:49 AM »
I have a simple enough question if you still have room for more questions?

What is your favorite song from the new album, and why?

Offline pfillion

« Reply #774 on: August 28, 2018, 07:30:06 AM »
Another interview with Mariusz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHbKBzyd6K4

Offline pfillion

« Reply #775 on: August 28, 2018, 07:45:02 AM »
Thanks pfillion and Sacul! If you have more, please send them through. I have about ten questions written down, but ideally I want to get close to 20.

I have another question:

- I have listened to a couple of interviews with Mariusz these days, and he's always saying that the band wanted to get rid of the Prog-Rock/Metal influences for this album.  My question is: Why they want to go away from the sound that they are famous for?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #776 on: August 28, 2018, 08:07:07 AM »
Keep 'em coming! Great questions guys.

I did my second listen of the album today, and I'll say this: they're not my cup of tea, but the album will surely please you if you're a fan.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #777 on: August 28, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
That's encouraging, as is Nick's post.  I got the impression that this album might be a strong departure, and while sometimes that turns out very well, other times it falls flat.  I'll admit to being a little concerned.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #778 on: August 28, 2018, 11:16:40 AM »
I did my second listen of the album today, and I'll say this: they're not my cup of tea, but the album will surely please you if you're a fan.

Were you a fan of their old albums or you're just not a big fan of Riverside?  So you think that the die-hard fans will like the new album?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #779 on: August 28, 2018, 11:46:16 AM »
Here's a couple of questions (haven't listened to the interviews posted, so maybe this has been answered):
The first 3 albums all contained a relatively similar sound. Then with ADHD, they went in a very different direction. However, the last 2 studio albums don't sound anything like ADHD at all - rather, they sound more similar to the first 3, IMO. Is there any chance they might revisit a sound more along the lines of what they did on ADHD (which happens to be my favorite)? And why the shift away from the sound of ADHD in the first place?

Also, I can appreciate them wanting to do something special for the fans, but is there any chance of them at least selling FLAC files of "Lost 'n' Found - Live in Tilburg" online for those of us who were unable to purchase a hard copy of the album?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #780 on: August 28, 2018, 12:05:03 PM »
I love Scotty's question about ADHD because that is my second favorite (behind Love, Fear, and the Time Machine).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #781 on: August 28, 2018, 12:30:01 PM »

Were you a fan of their old albums or you're just not a big fan of Riverside?  So you think that the die-hard fans will like the new album?

I just wasn't a fan, and my overall feeling is that their sound lacks punch, just like a lot of the Steven Wilson material. I get why people like it and respect them, but don't listen to them unless there's an assignment where I need to be familiar with their music.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #782 on: August 28, 2018, 03:18:49 PM »
Here's a couple of questions (haven't listened to the interviews posted, so maybe this has been answered):
The first 3 albums all contained a relatively similar sound. Then with ADHD, they went in a very different direction. However, the last 2 studio albums don't sound anything like ADHD at all - rather, they sound more similar to the first 3, IMO. Is there any chance they might revisit a sound more along the lines of what they did on ADHD (which happens to be my favorite)? And why the shift away from the sound of ADHD in the first place?

Also, I can appreciate them wanting to do something special for the fans, but is there any chance of them at least selling FLAC files of "Lost 'n' Found - Live in Tilburg" online for those of us who were unable to purchase a hard copy of the album?

I asked many times about the live album on their FB page and never got an answer.
I sent you a PM regarding this, let me know  ;D

Offline pfillion

Offline Lethean

« Reply #784 on: August 29, 2018, 04:16:58 PM »
I listened to this earlier today.  Mariusz gives some great in depth and interesting answers.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #785 on: September 03, 2018, 10:08:19 AM »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #786 on: September 03, 2018, 10:38:51 PM »
First review of the new album

https://progressivemusicplanet.com/2018/09/01/riverside-wasteland/
That doesn't sound overly promising, but I'm starting my first listen and will write my own review, so we'll see...

Offline T-ski

« Reply #787 on: September 04, 2018, 07:23:36 AM »

That doesn't sound overly promising, but I'm starting my first listen and will write my own review, so we'll see...

reviewer is disappointed yet gives it 7.5/10.

okay.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #788 on: September 04, 2018, 07:52:15 AM »

reviewer is disappointed yet gives it 7.5/10.

okay.

While I haven't read this particular review, at SonicPerspectives we do our reviews out of 10 as well, and if I give a Riverside album a 7.5 that's definitely a disappointment for me. Keep in mind I'm not going to take the time to review something I really hate, and I will generally hold long standing bands, or those I really like to higher standards.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pfillion

« Reply #789 on: September 04, 2018, 08:08:16 AM »

I imagine that the guy was expecting the band to sound exactly the same as on their last couple of albums, but Mariusz said many times recently that the new album is very different and less influenced by Prog-Rock music.  Mariusz also said that the concept of the new album is about surviving after the apocalypse and to illustrate that, their goal was to record the new album as a trio and that it would not have made sense to replace Piotr by another guitarist like Piotr. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #790 on: September 04, 2018, 08:19:11 AM »
That description really has me excited. I have really enjoyed their shift of musical direction so far and fingers crossed I'll enjoy this as well.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #791 on: September 05, 2018, 04:39:26 PM »
Rodrigo, how did the interview go?

BTW, you commented that Riverside's not really your type of music - have you ever listened to their fourth album Anno Domini High Definition? IMO, it's probably their most intense and heaviest album. Might be worth checking out if you haven't already.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #792 on: September 06, 2018, 08:42:25 AM »
I just saw on their Facebook page that the new single (River Down Below) will be release tomorrow.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #793 on: September 06, 2018, 10:28:42 AM »
Rodrigo, how did the interview go?

BTW, you commented that Riverside's not really your type of music - have you ever listened to their fourth album Anno Domini High Definition? IMO, it's probably their most intense and heaviest album. Might be worth checking out if you haven't already.

Thanks for following up, man. It went quite well, Mariusz was very chatty. At some point he had already mentioned turning 40 twice, and I said "hey man, at the height of my 44 years, i'm here to tell you that you'll be ok - don't worry about getting old!". Overall, a great interview. I want to clear my schedule in order to transcribe it and publish next week.

I haven't checked ADHD yet, but will do some time soon. Today I'll have my last scheduled interview, and plan to take a break from "mandatory" listens.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #794 on: September 07, 2018, 04:17:21 AM »
New single

https://youtu.be/ZS1crIkpnwc

Speaking about the song, Riverside vocalist and bassist Mariusz Duda says: “River Down Below is another song we've written with ‘river’ in the title, the fourth one, if I'm not mistaken. 

“In our case, river symbolises memory and that's the case here as well. The lyrics tell the story of a wanderer, who accidentally finds the grave of one of those who didn't manage to survive the apocalypse. He hears a voice, ‘Take me from here, take me to the river, that's where I belong.’

“’If the band continue to exist, the memory of Grudzień will survive,’ said one of my friends when I thought it was the end of Riverside. So there had to be a track on the new album that would refer to it. Not literally. It's still a story about the world in an alternative future, but you can find that reference between the lines.”

Duda adds: “It's a very simple, delicate, and at the same time incredibly powerful song – one of the most beautiful Riverside melodies I have managed to write, with a brilliant solo by one of our guests, Maciej Meller.

“We have always subscribed to the idea that there's great power in simplicity. River Down Below showcases the essence of our music and gives an idea of the emotions which can be found on our upcoming new release.”
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 04:38:59 AM by pfillion »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #795 on: September 07, 2018, 06:04:33 AM »
If the two singles are anything to go by, I'm going to like this album a lot. Lovely stuff.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #796 on: September 07, 2018, 02:56:06 PM »
this new song is classic Riverside and I can only imagine how much better it would be with Piotr on guitar.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pfillion

« Reply #797 on: September 07, 2018, 03:20:40 PM »
Of course the song would be different (better?) with Piotr, but I think that Mariusz said that he didn't want to hire a clone of Piotr for this album because otherwise the band would sound exactly like if nothing had happen. 

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #798 on: September 07, 2018, 03:36:09 PM »
Very beautiful song.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #799 on: September 09, 2018, 06:16:20 AM »

Offline pfillion

« Reply #800 on: September 09, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #801 on: September 10, 2018, 08:41:01 AM »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pfillion

« Reply #802 on: September 10, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »
Wow!

"But at this moment in time, it is clear that the band have released an album that stands shoulder to shoulder with the best of their past releases. Bravo, Riverside, bravo"

Offline Pettor

« Reply #803 on: September 11, 2018, 01:25:53 AM »
River Down Below is a fantastic track! I think it's very important to not go in expecting Piotr or thinking how it would be like. Feels like the first review was exactly that. It can't sadly happen and obviously the band is still very capable so try to enjoy that. But easier said than done I guess.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #804 on: September 11, 2018, 09:25:31 AM »
River Down Below is a really nice song, better than the one they released before. Looking forward to listening to the whole thing.