Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 133865 times)

Online faizoff

Re: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023
« Reply #1155 on: January 28, 2023, 09:00:43 PM »
Anyone check out the extra two tracks? Both are instrumental and on the bluray they've included as part of the album and play it as 9 tracks. Both tracks are great, Age of Anger has some crushing riffs.

As good as both are, I don't think they flow with the rest of album.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1156 on: January 29, 2023, 12:29:32 AM »
I think both tracks are great.  I guess I would consider them bonus tracks, similar to the instrumental tracks they had on Shrine of New Generation Slaves and Love, Fear, and the Time Machine.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1157 on: January 29, 2023, 01:24:44 AM »
New album is great, I don't think there's a bad track on there. Big Tech Brother might be my least favorite but I still like parts of it and I don't consider it bad at all. I feel like this album kinda has moments I connect with previous Riverside albums, as well as some new ideas. Wasteland for me remains their weakest album. Not bad, but there was a void left after Piotr passed, I don't think they had quite filled it on that album and I actually struggle to remember standout songs from it. On this new album however there's some great guitar riffs that feels like classic Riverside and takes me back to like SLS and REM. I think Piotr would be proud.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #1158 on: January 29, 2023, 05:21:53 AM »
I'm digging the bonus tracks also. Being instrumental, they kinda remind me of Eye Of the Soundscape, which I also really like.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1159 on: January 30, 2023, 03:13:51 AM »
I'm not the biggest fan of lyrics but as a whole but this is more than a solid album. Sounds like Riverside yet doesn't feel like they repeated themselves.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1160 on: January 30, 2023, 09:12:22 AM »
I'm not the biggest fan of lyrics but as a whole but this is more than a solid album. Sounds like Riverside yet doesn't feel like they repeated themselves.

It's not really a true prog rock album if the lyrics are above average though :P

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1161 on: February 01, 2023, 07:15:32 AM »
Their last two albums have their weakest lyrics, this one especially. The album is at its best when it sounds like their older stuff.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1162 on: February 01, 2023, 08:17:40 AM »
Tickets purchased, 25 days and counting. Let's hope they don't cancel the whole west coast again

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1163 on: February 01, 2023, 08:20:05 AM »
I thought Wasteland's lyrics were pretty good.  This album not so much; he's explained that it was intentional to make them more direct and that's fine.  I don't care for them that much but the songs are good.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1164 on: February 01, 2023, 05:45:50 PM »
Gave the new album a listen today, and I'm not a fan :lol. The compositions feel a lot more sparse and not in a good way for me. Riffs are alright I guess, and I don't mind the 80s synth influence (if anything, it's something new for them), but most songs just made me feel a bit :natalieportman:

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1165 on: February 02, 2023, 10:05:08 PM »
I listened to their new album too a couple of days ago, but around the same time I got to hear the new Haken and the new Unitopia. And while I like a lot of Riverside music, I had no desire to listen the new album again at that point. It's just, in my opinion Haken always wipes their asses with everything coming out around the same time they release new music. I also agree with everything Sacul said.
I will give it another spin however when I have more time.
any rock can be made to roll

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1166 on: February 02, 2023, 10:09:31 PM »
I listened to their new album too a couple of days ago, but around the same time I got to hear the new Haken and the new Unitopia. And while I like a lot of Riverside music, I had no desire to listen the new album again at that point. It's just, in my opinion Haken always wipes their asses with everything coming out around the same time they release new music. I also agree with everything Sacul said.
I will give it another spin however when I have more time.

Oooooh lucky! Well, at least now I am more excited for Fauna and 7 Chambers!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline emtee

« Reply #1167 on: February 03, 2023, 06:23:09 AM »
Enjoying this more with every spin.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1168 on: February 06, 2023, 06:47:15 PM »
I still can't get enough of this record. Easily getting more listens than anything else released in the last month or so. I think they found an awesome balance of old and new with this record and I just absolutely love it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline frogprog

« Reply #1169 on: February 07, 2023, 04:47:49 AM »
Finally secured my tickets for Philly show last night. Should be a great show!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1170 on: February 09, 2023, 10:38:55 AM »
Finally secured my tickets for Philly show last night. Should be a great show!

I also got a ticket last night. I'm 99% doing NYC as well, but they certainly won't sell out that venue, so I'll likely buy closer to.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1171 on: February 14, 2023, 08:37:24 AM »
RIVERSIDE – North American Tour starts this Friday, Feb 17th!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1172 on: February 26, 2023, 09:44:20 PM »
Opener just finished.. 20 minutes to go. On the rail about a foot from the stage.

This is going to kick so much ass.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1173 on: February 27, 2023, 12:30:26 AM »
Kick ass show from Riverside, even with Mariusz on the verge of losing his voice. He admitted it, and even told us he'd need help throughout the show from us. He definitely dumped on some higher notes, and sounded congested when talking. Pretty sure they dropped a few songs from the standard set they've been playing as well, I'm not totally familiar with all their stuff, so I had a Playlist made and there were some omissions. Still, the band had some serious energy, sounded fantastic, and the crowd was absolutely on fire. I'll have more thoughts later, but I gotta get up in 5 hours.

Thankfully they have a day off before Vancouver so he can rest and recuperate

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1174 on: February 27, 2023, 12:52:25 AM »
I only saw them once in Seattle on the Wasteland tour. I remember that I was skeptical because of the material from the current album, but I didn’t want to miss my only opportunity to see them.

But I distinctly remember being blown away by the live show. In fact, that show aided in appreciating the Wasteland album more. So I can appreciate the idea that their live performances can transcend what you might expect.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online faizoff

« Reply #1175 on: February 27, 2023, 05:36:33 AM »
I couldn't go to the opening show unfortunately, had some last minute plans come up. Hoping they release this tour on video, though might be unlikely as the last tour with Wasteland got a blu-ray release.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1176 on: February 27, 2023, 08:43:56 AM »
Opener from last night...

https://youtu.be/1H0QGskd5bs

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1177 on: February 27, 2023, 02:19:31 PM »
I only saw them once in Seattle on the Wasteland tour. I remember that I was skeptical because of the material from the current album, but I didn’t want to miss my only opportunity to see them.

But I distinctly remember being blown away by the live show. In fact, that show aided in appreciating the Wasteland album more. So I can appreciate the idea that their live performances can transcend what you might expect.

Their live shows are incredible.  Looking forward to seeing them in a week or so.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1178 on: February 27, 2023, 02:26:34 PM »
Sadly, I’m going to miss them this time. I’m not going to downtown Seattle on a Wednesday night.  I’m not sure I’d do that for anyone anymore.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1179 on: February 27, 2023, 02:53:00 PM »
Sadly, I’m going to miss them this time. I’m not going to downtown Seattle on a Wednesday night.  I’m not sure I’d do that for anyone anymore.

That's how I am with almost everyone, especially since my alarm goes off at 4am. Fortunately this show was in Berkeley and a much easier trip.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1180 on: February 27, 2023, 04:31:58 PM »
They're canceling tomorrow's gig in Vancouver citing weather issues. Sucks, especially on the heels of canceling the west coast last year, but can't fight mother nature. On the plus side maybe it'll give Mariusz voice a chance to recover.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1181 on: February 27, 2023, 08:55:03 PM »
That's a shame for the Vancouver fans. :( Hopefully some of them can make it to Seattle.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1182 on: February 27, 2023, 09:03:57 PM »
That's a shame for the Vancouver fans. :( Hopefully some of them can make it to Seattle.

For sure...some things just can't be avoided, total force majeure situation. I got a buddy who's driving down from Portland for the Nemophila shows in SF next week, and even he's keeping a close eye on the weather as it doesn't look like it's going to break much between now and then.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #1183 on: March 16, 2023, 03:21:19 PM »
Surprised there hasn't been more Riverside concert chatter...
Really excited for the Philly show tomorrow after a trying week dealing with a sick loved one. This will be my 6th time seeing them, each better than the last. Hopefully I can plant myself close to Michal's keys again. He was really fun to watch, he plays like he truly loves what he's doing (same for the rest of the band). Not thrilled with the venue -it smelled like a toilet when I saw Haken there, but maybe they have invested in some air fresheners since then :D
Really digging the new material so this should be a great evening!

Offline Working man

« Reply #1184 on: March 18, 2023, 10:55:22 AM »
Saw them in Montreal last week. It was A.MA.ZING. My 3rd time.

The new material was the best - really good live. Place where I belong was my favorite.

Enjoy!

WM

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1185 on: March 18, 2023, 11:44:45 AM »
Just going to share what I put on Facebook as a summary of where I stand after seeing them in NYC and Philly.

---

Alright, let's talk a little bit about Riverside and why they are, pretty much, the best.
Musically they are progressive rock/metal, but in pretty much the perfect way for me. All four guys are just about equally featured and important to the band. All four are talented, but their talent is more likely shine through in their songwriting than in musical gymnastics. Rarely has a band wanted to make me learn keyboards, guitar, bass, and drums (for real), because of how well each execute their parts while still seeming reasonably attainable.
And then you have the live aspect which I truly appreciate. Those same four guys making the most live, pure, organic show possible. The sound is always so clean, you can pick up all the different parts and intricacies very easily. I've never been able to have a long talk with Mariusz or anyone about their live setup, but after 12 shows I can say with some level of confidence that there are limited to no backing tracks, except for song intros, and also limited to no sampling except at certain needed moments. This is where they separate themselves so much from their contemporaries.
Long story short, there are two things from Poland that I thoroughly love:
1. Pierogis
2. Riverside
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline frogprog

« Reply #1186 on: March 18, 2023, 11:59:16 AM »
Great show last night in Philly. Cyberium Duo were really entertaining and they were really nice guys when I chatted with them at the merch table. 
Riverside has some early technical problems with Marius' bass but they got past that and it was a great show. Thoroughly enjoyable evening!

Offline pfillion

« Reply #1187 on: March 18, 2023, 01:01:50 PM »
Saw them in Montreal last week. It was A.MA.ZING. My 3rd time.

The new material was the best - really good live. Place where I belong was my favorite.

Enjoy!

WM

I was there as well.  Great great show!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1188 on: March 18, 2023, 01:25:54 PM »
I haven't been the biggest fan of ID.Entity compared to their other albums, but I'm really looking forward to catching a show next week! This will be only my second time seeing them live.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1189 on: March 18, 2023, 02:30:14 PM »
Saw Riverside the other night and while they were really good (especially the "new" songs), it wasn't as energetic a performance as I saw them put out last year! Still, very enjoyable! They truly are an amazing band!