Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 134051 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Riverside - something about them celebrating 20 years etc etc
« Reply #1120 on: January 19, 2023, 10:46:24 AM »
I’m listening to the album at work and I’m about halfway through and I’m really enjoying it so far. I feel like it has the energy of ADHD, but not quite as guitar oriented as that album was. There are definitely some heavy guitar moments, but I think it’s a little bit more synth driven.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline faizoff

Re: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023
« Reply #1121 on: January 19, 2023, 11:24:52 AM »
My set is going to arrive Tuesday according to USPS. Might listen online tomorrow after release
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1122 on: January 19, 2023, 12:02:48 PM »
My mediabook should be arriving today but I am stuck at work til 6 and then have a community band rehearsal til 9, so it'll be another 7+ hours til I get to open it at home.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pfillion

« Reply #1123 on: January 19, 2023, 05:46:41 PM »
Post-Truth  :hefdaddy

Offline DTwwbwMP

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1125 on: January 19, 2023, 08:24:26 PM »
I've listened to it a couple times - good stuff so far.  I don't really have any solid thoughts yet - need to listen a bit more.  I will say that in some ways it might sound a little more Rush-like than their other albums; not a bad thing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1126 on: January 19, 2023, 11:14:25 PM »
I've spun it twice and I think it might be my favorite since ADHD. Not that the albums since then haven't been bad but when I discovered Riverside the year ADHD came out, that was the one that got the most spins from me. This feels like it could stay in rotation for awhile for me. The individual songs haven't sunk in yet but as a whole, I dig the album top to bottom.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 06:33:29 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1127 on: January 20, 2023, 06:09:55 AM »
Heard it once, I really like the vibe of the album. People are right when they compare it to ADHD, it's not the same structure but has a lot of those elements. Opening two and last two tracks really stood out to me.

Side note, I completely somehow missed the fact that there was a Wasteland tour CD/DVD/Bluray out. Going to dive into it once I get my hands on it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline pfillion

« Reply #1128 on: January 20, 2023, 06:21:04 AM »
I think I might be my favorite since ADHD

I also think it's my favorite Riverside album since ADHD \m/

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1129 on: January 20, 2023, 06:43:14 AM »
Enjoyed it on first listen, good album  :tup
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1130 on: January 20, 2023, 11:58:53 AM »
Absolutely the best since ADHD. I keep listening and enjoying it more and more with each listen and I loved it on the first one.

Something about this record just speaks to me. They really hit it out of the park on this one.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1131 on: January 20, 2023, 01:47:04 PM »
Excellent album and it has the right amount of energy, atmosphere and variety that I was expecting since ADHD.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1132 on: January 20, 2023, 02:45:40 PM »
Finally gave it a spin on my commute home, really solid output. Can't wait to dig deeper, and even more excited to see it live in a small club in February.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1133 on: January 20, 2023, 03:10:24 PM »
I think I might be my favorite since ADHD

I also think it's my favorite Riverside album since ADHD \m/

:metal

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1134 on: January 20, 2023, 03:10:47 PM »
I've spun it twice and I think it might be my favorite since ADHD. Not that the albums since then haven't been bad but when I discovered Riverside the year ADHD came out, that was the one that got the most spins from me. This feels like it could stay in rotation for awhile for me. The individual songs haven't sunk in yet but as a whole, I dig the album top to bottom.

-Marc.

:tup

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1135 on: January 20, 2023, 03:12:18 PM »
Instead of giving each and every review a  :tup or a  :metal I'll just say I echo everyone's comments. COULD be THE album of the year! This and Fauna by Haken are going to be battling it out for sure all year! :corn

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1136 on: January 20, 2023, 03:14:50 PM »
Not feeling it with this Riverside album. Need a few more spins :(

Loving the new Katatonia though.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1137 on: January 20, 2023, 03:18:01 PM »
Most reviews have been great. Gonna spend more time with Katatonia and then buy this one.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1138 on: January 20, 2023, 03:30:43 PM »
Loving the new Katatonia though.

Have to check this one out! :tup

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1139 on: January 20, 2023, 04:37:23 PM »
Record store had one copy of the special edition sitting among about a dozen copies of the standard edition, so I swooped in and got that real quick.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1140 on: January 20, 2023, 05:31:49 PM »
Record store had one copy of the special edition sitting among about a dozen copies of the standard edition, so I swooped in and got that real quick.

Nice! The 2-CD edition is definitely worth, and the mediabook format is one of my favorites.

Also, earlier today, I noticed the band was posting that their new album has "9 songs", so I guess even though "Age Of Anger" and "Together Again" are relegated to "bonus track" status, the band considers them a part of the album. That makes sense considering they're part of the vinyl LP track list as well, taking up nearly 19 minutes of Side Four.

-Marc.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1141 on: January 20, 2023, 11:22:44 PM »
Nice! The 2-CD edition is definitely worth, and the mediabook format is one of my favorites.

Also, earlier today, I noticed the band was posting that their new album has "9 songs", so I guess even though "Age Of Anger" and "Together Again" are relegated to "bonus track" status, the band considers them a part of the album. That makes sense considering they're part of the vinyl LP track list as well, taking up nearly 19 minutes of Side Four.

-Marc.

Yeah, I saw that post right before I headed out and thought "wow, they must have intended for those two songs to be on the main album" but maybe the record label made them relegate it to a special edition for those? All nine songs together are only an hour and 11 minutes if you get rid of the two "single versions". Easily could have gone on the main disc.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1142 on: January 21, 2023, 11:34:40 AM »
Listened to this once and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I found the first and last song (of the regular tracklist) to be the most interesting, for now. Really cool 80s vibe mixed in with their sound. Definitely agree with the comments that there is a bit more of a Rush influence in here. Self-Aware has moments with a The Police-via-Grace Under Pressure-Rush vibe.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #1143 on: January 21, 2023, 01:37:01 PM »
Gave 1 listen and dug it. I'm  kinda bummed that the vinyl didn't come with a download code though...

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1144 on: January 23, 2023, 02:56:44 AM »
Sound like something in between ADHD and Shrine of New Generation Slaves. I like!  :metal

Always synched well with their world view and look on greed, capitalism, tech, jada jada and this is yet another output like that. Great lyrics and I can fully sympathize with a lot of it. The Place Where I Belong is quite instantly rememberable in that way.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1145 on: January 23, 2023, 09:18:13 PM »
Got my Artbook today, this thing looks great, also got a little postcard with the album artwork signed by the band. Can't wait to dig into the Bluray.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1146 on: January 24, 2023, 01:27:21 PM »
I'm glad most people are enjoying it, but for me this is pretty easily their weakest album since REM and the first to buck the trend of their even-numbered albums being better than their odd-numbered albums. :lol I've listened to it three times and Big Tech Brother is the only song I feel is better than just okay.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1147 on: January 24, 2023, 01:58:16 PM »
probably the most i've liked their music since... 2013? but the lyrics boil down to "why is everybody so mad on twitter can't we just all get along  :(" which just makes me g r o a n so i've no real interest in revisiting it

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1148 on: January 24, 2023, 02:15:45 PM »
I'm glad most people are enjoying it, but for me this is pretty easily their weakest album since REM and the first to buck the trend of their even-numbered albums being better than their odd-numbered albums. :lol I've listened to it three times and Big Tech Brother is the only song I feel is better than just okay.

I need to go back and listen to their earlier albums but this album didn't stick with me on two listens so far. There are some songs I really like and others that I went through without picking up a whole lot.

Overall, it's a solid album but it didn't resonate for some reason.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1149 on: January 25, 2023, 01:15:06 AM »

It's nowhere near as bad as Wasteland, which IMO is the low point of their entire career.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1150 on: January 25, 2023, 07:31:11 AM »

It's nowhere near as bad as Wasteland, which IMO is the low point of their entire career.

Nah, I liked Wasteland. It definitely was middle-of-the road for their standards, but I like most of that album. The only part of it I dislike is the 10 minute instrumental in the middle which is a total slog.

I do really miss Piotr's guitar work though... I was hoping Maceij would step up on this album since he's been in the band for a while at this point, but there's hardly any memorable guitar moments on it (not including the riffs where he's mirroring the bassline).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 07:54:38 AM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1151 on: January 25, 2023, 07:44:58 AM »
This album has some absolutely terrifying riffs. For example, the main guitar riff in Landmine Blast and organ/bass riff in I'm Done With You. Don't know why, those scare the crap out of me :lol I like the heaviness the album brings to the discography.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1152 on: January 25, 2023, 08:01:17 AM »
My nice artbook thingy got delayed from Amazon, so I've spun this a few times on Spotify now.

Absolutely love the tone set by the opener, really does make this album stand out. That said, I don't think the album as a whole will end up near the top. Lots of good stuff, but nothing that smacks and says this is essential. This is a really nice unique stamp in the band's catalog. Looking forward to seeing them on the upcoming tour.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1153 on: January 25, 2023, 08:58:52 AM »
Not sure where it will wind up ranking for me, but I definitely like it a lot for now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1154 on: January 27, 2023, 12:08:30 PM »
After a few more listens the opening track is definitely my favorite. Friend or Foe?, Landmine Blast, and Self-Aware are absolute bangers. The rest are really good too and very enjoyable, some excellent instrumental sections throughout.