Author Topic: Riverside - New album ID.Entity out January 20 2023  (Read 134057 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Riverside - something about them celebrating 20 years etc etc
« Reply #1085 on: November 15, 2022, 04:07:28 PM »
I may have to go to the Black Cat in DC. The show is on a Sunday night, which normally might be difficult for me, but since I work for a University, that's the beginning weekend of our Spring Break, so I probably won't have work the next day (and even if I do, I don't think I'd miss much by asking off). Might have to go to this one, especially since it's the second-to-last show of the tour, the band will definitely be a fine-oiled-machine at that point and giving a really good performance by then!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1087 on: November 29, 2022, 07:52:47 AM »
Liked the first single more, but this one was edited so let's hope the album version is better
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1088 on: November 29, 2022, 09:12:27 PM »
I liked it, but yeah, I'm going to hold off on listening again until the album is out and I can hear the full version.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1089 on: November 29, 2022, 09:43:11 PM »
I was listening to it with my wife listening over my shoulder (she really doesn’t like my music, but she picks up things after listening over my shoulder for 25 years)

And she said, “That is the biggest Rush ripoff I’ve ever heard, and if you don’t hear it you should be ashamed to call yourself a Rush fan. It’s in the guitar and drums.”

Then…I couldn’t unhear it.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Not in a bad way though. It is extremely Rush-like. But in a good way.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1090 on: November 30, 2022, 07:07:21 AM »
I did not care for the new single.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1091 on: November 30, 2022, 09:39:10 AM »
Riverside with a radio rock type song? I’m all for it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1092 on: December 07, 2022, 06:14:25 AM »
I received the promo copy yesterday, and decided to listen to it on my run this morning. It sounded great on my first listen, and I'ma new fan who didn't follow them closely until this year. It really goes everywhere stylistically. Some songs are on the hard rock vein, others would fit in like a glove on a Duran Duran or Tears for Fears album, and there are some really old school prog moments a la Jethro Tull in-between. And I finally found out what prevents me from enjoying them a little more: Mariusz' vocals put me off. Just like Steven Wilson and a few other vocalists in modern prog, he sounds like a soy boy, vegan activist, and way too preachy. To me, guys like that are "people can sing", but they're not vocalists. Dio, Bruce etc. are vocalists. With that said, I will definitely listen to this album more, in preparation for their upcoming tour. This is a shift in direction for them, and I suspect the new setlist will rely heavily on the new songs.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1093 on: December 07, 2022, 06:31:39 AM »
I received the promo copy yesterday, and decided to listen to it on my run this morning. It sounded great on my first listen, and I'ma new fan who didn't follow them closely until this year. It really goes everywhere stylistically. Some songs are on the hard rock vein, others would fit in like a glove on a Duran Duran or Tears for Fears album, and there are some really old school prog moments a la Jethro Tull in-between. And I finally found out what prevents me from enjoying them a little more: Mariusz' vocals put me off. Just like Steven Wilson and a few other vocalists in modern prog, he sounds like a soy boy, vegan activist, and way too preachy. To me, guys like that are "people can sing", but they're not vocalists. Dio, Bruce etc. are vocalists. With that said, I will definitely listen to this album more, in preparation for their upcoming tour. This is a shift in direction for them, and I suspect the new setlist will rely heavily on the new songs.

Interesting! Thanks for the review and insight. Would you say the vocals are much different than past albums or are they roughly the same?

Regardless I am anticipating this one greatly!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1094 on: December 07, 2022, 06:45:47 AM »
I like Mariusz' voice a lot.  (But Steven Wilson not much at all.)

I was a little concerned before Wasteland was released because he talked about how he was singing much lower for a lot of it... but it was fine.  He sounded great there too and it fit the songs.

I might have been concerned about the comments they're making about the new album - and it almost feels like they're over explaining or something, but Wasteland was excellent and this one is probably going to be a great album too.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: December 07, 2022, 07:04:53 AM »
I like Mariusz' voice a lot.  (But Steven Wilson not much at all.)

I was a little concerned before Wasteland was released because he talked about how he was singing much lower for a lot of it... but it was fine.  He sounded great there too and it fit the songs.

I might have been concerned about the comments they're making about the new album - and it almost feels like they're over explaining or something, but Wasteland was excellent and this one is probably going to be a great album too.

Fixed

I am listening to it now for the second time, and this is a great album by the band. I think Mariusz's vocals on this album sound just as good as always. As Rod said this is a shift in direction for them, but I think the shift has been accomplished with great taste. I like this one a LOT.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1096 on: December 25, 2022, 07:02:07 AM »
MD is releasing a new song on December 28th, 27 mins long....

Meanwhile, still this year, on Wednesday 28th December 2022, on my Bandcamp mariuszduda.bandcamp.com , I will release "Intervallum", a composition inspired by Vangelis, who sadly passed away earlier this year, and who was an incredibly important and inspiring artist for me.
Albums like the aforementioned "Blade Runner", "Albedo 0.39", "Heaven and Hell" or even "1492" made me fall in love with soundscapes and melodies, and shaped my music sensitivity in general.
I'm not sure if I have stressed it enough in my work, so I would really like to dedicate this composition to Vangelis.
And I don't know if it's important, but it will be 27 minutes long

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1097 on: December 26, 2022, 07:02:37 AM »
I dig the new single.

Riverside runs hot and cold for me, but when they are good they are the best contemporary band in the prog rock genre (including Steven Wilson, Haken).

Tangent but what is the point of a “single edit” for a band like Riverside in 2022? Do they actually get radio airplay in Europe/Poland? Is it a Grammy submission thing? What gives?

Offline frogprog

« Reply #1098 on: December 26, 2022, 08:50:59 AM »
Good question

Online pfillion

« Reply #1099 on: January 03, 2023, 02:23:36 PM »

Online pfillion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1101 on: January 10, 2023, 08:05:46 AM »
"Friend of Foe? (Single Edit)" video is now up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQQFjyHtro

Haven't seen it yet (as I'm at work), but we're so close to the album release that I'm just going to wait to hear the whole song on the album anyway.

-Marc.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1102 on: January 10, 2023, 09:54:02 AM »
The new single sounds great, heavily influenced by 1980's pop which I love.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1103 on: January 10, 2023, 10:25:02 AM »
The new single sounds great, heavily influenced by 1980's pop which I love.

Wasn’t sure if it was a-ha at first.  :lol
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1106 on: January 13, 2023, 12:09:04 PM »
Laser CD has shipped my earbook already. Should have this well before release day as long as the USPS doesn't screw the pooch again.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1107 on: January 13, 2023, 12:12:28 PM »
Laser CD has shipped my earbook already. Should have this well before release day as long as the USPS doesn't screw the pooch again.
Same!  I was very surprised at how early they shipped it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1108 on: January 13, 2023, 12:26:39 PM »

Got my notification as well

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1109 on: January 16, 2023, 12:18:42 AM »
Friend of Foe most likely comes down to how much of the 80s influence you can take. I was never into the 80s but ofc like a lot of songs from the era. However those plastic synths aren't my thing and sadly it drags down the song to a point where I won't be listening to it. At the same time it's fine and I can still feel how well done it is, as always with Riverside. Interesting I guess  :laugh:

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1110 on: January 16, 2023, 09:58:50 PM »
My earbook is about 30 minutes away. If they don't screw up, I might have the album tomorrow.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline frogprog

« Reply #1111 on: January 17, 2023, 05:38:58 AM »
Yeah my vinyl version has been swirling around various postal facilities in NJ and PA for about a week now. It started out about 45 minutes from my house. USPS is the very worst. Betcha they throw in in the side bushes when it finally arrives...

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1112 on: January 17, 2023, 05:57:19 AM »

Got my notification as well

I placed the order just a day ago and see my shipping notification as well. Dont think it's going to arrive anytime soon is my gut.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1113 on: January 17, 2023, 12:04:32 PM »
It arrived! There was also a little cover art card slipped inside the box that is autographed by the band. Don't remember seeing that advertised, but is a nice touch. The card wasn't in the shrinkwrap, just placed inside the shipping box. Will be listening later.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1114 on: January 17, 2023, 12:08:46 PM »
It arrived! There was also a little cover art card slipped inside the box that is autographed by the band. Don't remember seeing that advertised, but is a nice touch. The card wasn't in the shrinkwrap, just placed inside the shipping box. Will be listening later.

Very nice! I finally got my shipping notification from LaserCD for my mediabook version yesterday, so I'm hoping it arrives by Friday.

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1115 on: January 17, 2023, 12:20:51 PM »
Damn, I ordered my stuff from Amazon, so I know I'll get it Friday, but not before.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1116 on: January 17, 2023, 04:22:33 PM »
On track 5 and loving this album. The guitar is back. Some heavy riffs in every song so far. Songs bounce from heavy to not heavy to heavy, etc.

Fantastic record so far.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1117 on: January 17, 2023, 04:45:16 PM »
On track 5 and loving this album. The guitar is back. Some heavy riffs in every song so far. Songs bounce from heavy to not heavy to heavy, etc.

Fantastic record so far.

:metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1118 on: January 17, 2023, 07:04:59 PM »
My scheduled delivery is Saturday.  :-[  :-\

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1119 on: January 17, 2023, 07:52:07 PM »

Fantastic record so far.

Awesome to hear, can't wait to listen to it. I'm one of those that love the newer albums a lot more than the older ones. I don't think they have an album below 9/10 in their catalog.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan