Author Topic: Fair to Midland v. Jon Dicken leaves (merged)  (Read 36604 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Fair to Midland v. Jon Dicken leaves (merged)
« on: September 30, 2009, 11:40:24 PM »
twitter: will debut a BRAND NEW SONG on 93x in Minneapolis on Monday! (Listen online worldwide!) Details soon!

Monday should be sweet. Also cool having a dj in town here whose a ftm-pimp sometimes.

They play in MN for the 7th time in a few weeks. If you can catch them live, do it.

Oct 3 2009     8:00P
   University of Texas at Dallas - Rock The Campus For The Cure    Richardson, Texas
Oct 10 2009    8:00P
   Spicoli’s    Waterloo, Iowa
Oct 12 2009    8:00P
   The Rock    Maplewood, Minnesota
Oct 14 2009    8:00P
   Joe’s    Chicago, Illinois
Oct 16 2009    8:00P
   The Hayloft    Mt. Clemens, Michigan
Oct 17 2009    8:00P
   Machine Shop    Flint, Michigan
Oct 18 2009    8:00P
   Miss Q’s    Ft. Wayne, Indiana
Oct 19 2009    8:00P
   The Rock House    Indianapolis, Indiana
Oct 21 2009    8:00P
   Midtown Music Hall    Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oct 23 2009    8:00P
   Varsity Theatre    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Oct 24 2009    8:00P
   Riverside Warehouse    Shreveport, Louisiana
Oct 29 2009    8:00P
   The Stafford Main Street    Bryan, Texas
Oct 30 2009    8:00P
   Clicks    Tyler, Texas

for newbs:
https://myspace.com/fairtomidland

and for those people who think Fables is their debut album, WRONG. Or who figure inter.funda.stifle is their debut album, also WRONG.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Fair to Midland
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 12:35:12 AM »
Awesome! I only have Fables but I absolutely love it. Are the previous albums anywhere near as good?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:31:31 AM »
"inter.funda.stifle" should be on every fan's wishlist who enjoy Fables. Some of the songs on Fables (6) come from it, but THEY ARE NOT THE SAME VERSIONS. And maybe more importantly, IFS works really well beginning-to-end. So while they are familiar, they seem not only different in the arrangement on IFS,  but they seem different within the flow and concept of the album.

their debut album, "The Carbon Copy Silver Lining" is out-of-print and can only be found (legally) via some digital stores. And as a fan, while it's drastically different and something some of the band members don't care for, technically it was their 1st work. However, it's probably not something many people will want to play, other than for novelty purposes.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »
I have Fables and absolutely love it. I can't wait for the new album.

I heard them describe one of their new songs as "a death metal band covering Yellow Submarine", or something.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 11:09:41 AM »
tonight (10/5/09) new song (demo) debuts
9PM Central Time

https://ftmband.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3181&p=54004#p54004

If you haven't heard already, Pablo from 93x in Minneapolis will be featuring our demo recording of Musical Chairs in their cagematch monday night (oct 5th) at 9pm central time.

for those that don't live there the link to listen online is here:
https://93x.com/Article.asp?id=160974

afterword, to vote on the cagematch go here:
https://www.93x.com/cagematch.asp

pretty easy right? hope everybody enjoys it!
brett.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 10:09:58 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 12:45:19 AM »
another new demo

edit: pulled

here's a live version of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkPqUbpbfsU

(see my blog)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 01:27:14 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 05:36:55 AM »
Holy crap, those are great! Musical Chairs sounds more epic than anything on Fables, and Rikki Tikki Tavi is so awesomely heavy in places!

By the way, there's also a better quality version of the demo for Musical Chairs on their myspace, sounds a lot better.

Why can't the album come out already dammit? :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 06:55:41 PM »
OK, just checked out this band for the first time; first couple of tracks off of 'Fables'.

My impression right now: Catchy melodies, but mediocre riffs and rythms.

Then again, I have rewinded five times already on the first track. That 'Dance of the Manatee' song is fantastic. Sounds like Linkin Park doing Viking Metal!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 09:11:55 PM »
Sounds like Linkin Park doing Viking Metal!

Well, I havent heard that description before
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 07:23:25 AM »
Big fan of FtM. I can't wait to see them in Georgia in March. I enjoy Fables a lot but I prefer IFS, Timbuku and Quince are great great songs. Also the first album has some great gems.

Offline Slain

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »
Cool band, I actually met the guitarist and singer outside of Rams Head Live (serj tankian concert) back in the day. (2 years ago :P) Darroh is a really good singer.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 03:03:24 AM »
ZOMBIE THREAD ZOMG

So I was facebook stalking the iwrestledabearonce's singer, and apparently she's dating the singer of this band, which prompted me to check them out. HOLY SHIT they're awesome. Really close to the kind of stuff I've been looking for lately.  :metal
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 04:11:32 PM »
interesting..

by the way..they are about to hit the studio. They haven't announced what producer they're going to work with. But I read an interview with their singer (Darroh) a few weeks ago and I recall him saying there are a few really good people they have in mind.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 04:22:24 PM »
Awesome news, cheers for the update Soundscape. I was actually wondering about them the other day and whether there was any update. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »
yeah it should be out next year. The only thing was, someone on their fans forum mentioned how it may not be until Summer because they have a few more tours this Fall that they may go on (which they weren't planning on a few months ago), which may cause it to take longer i.e...some of the mixing/mastering and even recording may go into 2011.

edit: https://www.spheremag.co.uk/interviews/five-minutes-with/1537-five-minutes-withfair-to-midland
here's the interview although the thing about the producer may not have been there now looking that over.

Offline j

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 08:36:08 PM »
Just listened to Fables for the first time.  Shit...this is some pretty good stuff!  I like it.

-J

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 12:18:03 PM »
Just listened to Fables for the first time.  Shit...this is some pretty good stuff!  I like it.

-J

check out "inter.funda.stifle", it's a great album with some different mixes from Fables. Timbuktu and Quince are such great songs.

Offline j

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 06:14:04 PM »
Will do.  Thanks! :tup

-J

Offline j

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 07:36:03 PM »
So, this album (Fables) is bad-ass.  Absolutely one of my favorite recent discoveries.  The only thing that bothers me about it is that I'm pretty sure every single song has the exact same structure.

I know nothing about music, so normally shit like this doesn't bug me, but for some reason I can't help but notice it.  Still though, incredible album.  Can't believe these guys aren't more popular.

-J

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »
So, this album (Fables) is bad-ass.  Absolutely one of my favorite recent discoveries.  The only thing that bothers me about it is that I'm pretty sure every single song has the exact same structure.

I know nothing about music, so normally shit like this doesn't bug me, but for some reason I can't help but notice it.  Still though, incredible album.  Can't believe these guys aren't more popular.

-J

Fables is a very good album although I wish they kept "Quince" and "Timbuktu" those were my favorite songs from IFS.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 10:03:09 PM »
Granny Niblo and Abigail are also cool parts from ifs that were not re-recorded/re-arranged for Fables, along with Orphan Anthem'86, although at least 2 of those 3 were included on the Drawn and Quartered EP.

Offline j

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 02:34:47 PM »
So, this album (Fables) is bad-ass.  Absolutely one of my favorite recent discoveries.  The only thing that bothers me about it is that I'm pretty sure every single song has the exact same structure.

I know nothing about music, so normally shit like this doesn't bug me, but for some reason I can't help but notice it.  Still though, incredible album.  Can't believe these guys aren't more popular.

-J

Fables is a very good album although I wish they kept "Quince" and "Timbuktu" those were my favorite songs from IFS.

Yeah those are both great mellow tracks, although I'm not sure where I'd put them on Fables.  There are a couple of songs that I'm not too crazy about but overall it's really consistent and I don't think I'd cut anything.

-J

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 07:37:17 PM »
I'm on track 4 of Fables.

:omg:
 :hefdaddy

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 05:30:48 AM »
:tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 09:28:14 AM »

-J

Yeah those are both great mellow tracks, although I'm not sure where I'd put them on Fables.  There are a couple of songs that I'm not too crazy about but overall it's really consistent and I don't think I'd cut anything.

-J

I guess I just wanted a little more mellow in Fables, although "Say When" is epic

Offline j

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 11:09:08 AM »
^Yeah, I agree.  And now that I think about it, the album is fairly short.  I'm sure somebody with a feel for album flow could find a place to effectively add those songs.

-J

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 12:51:20 PM »
So I'm loving Fables, is their back catalogue as good?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 02:01:58 PM »
Personally, I don't think so. The production on the previous discs is pretty mediocre and it really harmed my enjoyment of them.

Fables is indeed a great album though, very excited to see what they do next.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline j

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »
Fables is considered their first "real" album, from what I gather.  Maybe just because it's on a major label and had quality production, I don't know.

The only other release of theirs I've heard is inter.funda.stifle.  It has some good songs that didn't make it onto Fables, and some different versions of Fables songs.  In general, I prefer the versions on Fables because, like ariich said, the production is better among other things.  Worth listening to for the couple of standout tracks though, I'd say.

-J

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 02:39:37 PM »
I like the production on inter.funda.stifle much better.  Fables sounds too "slick" and has too much high frequency.

Song wise, I'd probably chose Fables though.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 04:19:25 PM »
So I'm loving Fables, is their back catalogue as good?

That really depends on your taste. inter.funda.stifle is sort of the building blocks of Fables, it shares mainly the same tracks with some new ones. Personally I end up listening to IFS more than Fables. Then there is the The Drawn And Quartered EP which has a couple of live songs and a couple of demos so you can pass on this until the end.

Finally there is The Carbon Copy Silver Lining It was released in 2001 and it's their first album although it's an independent release. It's pretty different, a lot more rough and is a little hit or miss (not to me personally, but I know a few fans who don't like it). There are some gems on there as well.

My favorite non-fable songs are (in no particular order):
Gaining One (The Carbon Copy Silver Lining)
Informative Timeline (Carbon Copy; This song is in my top 3 favorite FTM songs, just epic, Darroh's voice is haunting in this song)
An Occurance During the Restoration Process (Carbon Copy)
My Mentor (Carbon Copy)
With This Easel (Carbon Copy)
Granny Niblo (IFS)
Timbuktu (IFS)
Quince (IFS)

One more thing, there are some demo's floating around that were recorded during the Fables session. You can see them on youtube. If you like any of them shoot me a pm and I'll send you the 320 mp3 rips (took forever to find)

The track list for that is:
Bright Bulbs and Sharp Tools
Loophole In Limbo
Musical Chairs (Another top three for me, just an incredible song, very radio friendly as well)
Rikki Tikki Tavi (Awesome vocal performance, lots of ROROROROROR)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 04:37:07 PM »
Fables is considered their first "real" album, from what I gather.  Maybe just because it's on a major label and had quality production, I don't know.

The only other release of theirs I've heard is inter.funda.stifle.  It has some good songs that didn't make it onto Fables, and some different versions of Fables songs.  In general, I prefer the versions on Fables because, like ariich said, the production is better among other things.  Worth listening to for the couple of standout tracks though, I'd say.

-J

you ask the band and most of the fans before they signed with Serjical Strike and they'll disagree. The band themself are very mixed about The Carbon Copy Silver Lining (their singer Darroh can't stand it anyway), but as far as inter.funda.stifle that is pretty well thought-of among their long time fans.

I mean do people think of "Images and Words" as Dream Theater's 1st album? no. It was the album that got them more exposure certainly.

Offline j

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 05:44:50 PM »
^Fair enough, I should have said it's their first album to sell significant numbers, etc.  I really don't know anything about the band or its history, so I have no place commenting at all. :lol

And dtismajesty, Fables does sound a little "processed" or something I guess.  Personally, I prefer its production to IFS's, although the latter doesn't bother me or anything.

-J