Author Topic: Where to start on bass! *UPDATED*  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
Where to start on bass! *UPDATED*
« on: September 29, 2009, 08:35:35 AM »
Well, I got the idea from some other threads. Well, my problem is at the moment i'm running off of natural talent. I'm pretty good, after only about two or three weeks of practicing 4-5 hours a day I can already play most of Iron Maidens songs. But, they bore me. I need stuff that is fun to play, but not too complicating! And I need what sites you bass players consider the best for bass tabs. My biggest problem is, I have a short attention span. I can play very well, but I get bored mid song because of the lack of changes. But, I'm not good enough yet to play more Prog Metal/Rock. SO! I need a good median!

*FURTHER MORE*

I do scales and finger stretches before every practice, to get warmed up and stretched. But I still feel a lot of stiffness in my left hand, and I seem to be losing stamina faster than before. Any good stretches or exercies you guys can suggest? Videos are greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:21:23 PM by Dark Master Of Sin »
gone

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Re: Where to start on bass!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:26:41 AM »
Have you had any lessons, or picked up any books?  If not, i'd highly reccomend it.  If you don't have any guidance right now, you may have some technique issues that could become serious handicaps further down the road, and it will take 10x longer to unlearn the wrong way and learn correctly, than to just learn it correctly from the beginning.

The tough thing about Maiden is not so much technicality as sheer right-hand endurance (and coordination).

I actually found Rush to be very good for learning somewhat more complicated parts.  But beware of trying to match Geddy's sound exactly...I started out on a P-bass, and played extremely aggressively to try to get his sound (he used/used predominantly j-basses and Rics).  It's been very, very tough for me to learn to use a lighter touch.

Also, you're bound to find all sorts of good stuff here:

https://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 09:37:18 AM »
Yeah i've learned from my dad. I use the "walking man" style fingering on the right hand. Left hand wise I have no idea if i'm doing anything wrong.
gone

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:11:54 AM »
Millahh got here before me but i'd say what he said but i get my tabs at:  www.911tabs.com
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:41:56 AM »
Actually, that reminds me of another thing:

Don't rely on tabs.  Work on your ears, so that you can figure out how to play something, rather than looking it up.  Only look at a tab if you're really having trouble figuring out the part.  Having good ears, in my experience, is worth more than all of the technique in the world.

Also, don't put too much faith in tabs...many of them are by completely clueless people, or those that don't even play the instrument (some guitar tabs books are notorius for having been written by piano players, and the chord voicings are all wrong).
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 11:45:42 AM »

Don't rely on tabs.  Work on your ears, so that you can figure out how to play something, rather than looking it up.  Only look at a tab if you're really having trouble figuring out the part.  Having good ears, in my experience, is worth more than all of the technique in the world.

Also, don't put too much faith in tabs...many of them are by completely clueless people, or those that don't even play the instrument (some guitar tabs books are notorius for having been written by piano players, and the chord voicings are all wrong).
True.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 11:52:53 AM »
When I first started, the major practicing I did involved fingering (fret hand)

So working on scales, in different finger positions, and increasing the tempo will help you get to that progressive level. Apart from the scales, I had an instructor, and he gave me different fingering patterns that moved up and down the strings.

For example:

1 3 4
1 3 4
1 3 4
1 3 4

in a triplet pattern across all four strings

or

1 4
1 4
1 4
1 4

in an eighth/sixteenth pattern. Then you can start skipping strings

G
D 1 3 4
A
E 1 3 4

and back down again from the G to A string. And then you can work on speed with that.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 04:45:30 PM »

yep.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 08:30:39 PM »
Start on the first fret. That's always a good one. It has that homey feeling to it, you know, something to return to. On the next day, maybe check out the second fret; don't freak out though, it's quite different. Many great men have cried when trying to master the second fret.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 08:39:42 PM »
Start on the first fret. That's always a good one. It has that homey feeling to it, you know, something to return to. On the next day, maybe check out the second fret; don't freak out though, it's quite different. Many great men have cried when trying to master the second fret.

rumborak

:rollin I love you sometimes
gone

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 01:52:19 PM »
It might sound stupid, but try learning (by ear) songs by bands like Nirvana or the Offspring.  Not too difficult, but it's a good start.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 02:59:11 PM »
Nothing stupid about that at all.  Just try to make sure that whatever it is isn't tuned down a half-step, or it can be a real bitch...

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 10:09:35 PM »
Yep! E Standard sounds awesome, especially on bass. I don't know why but it just has that full sound perhaps.