Author Topic: OSI - Official Thread  (Read 115628 times)

Offline nikatapi

Re: OSI - "Official thread" (SPOILERS)
« Reply #665 on: January 26, 2013, 04:00:29 AM »

Wow, that review doesn't even deserve a comment, but I can't resist.  Kevin a dick?  At least Kev kept his MP squabbles behind closed doors.  MP actually incorporated an OSI chapter in the Lifting Shadows book for everyone to read in which he sliced and diced Kevin in a classless fashion.   :tdwn

Didn't know that. I recall MP saying something like that KM is a bit stubborn and not very easy to work with, but if there is some other stuff on the book, please enlighten me.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #666 on: January 26, 2013, 07:57:51 AM »
Oh boy, if he had a problem adapting to KM and JM, imagine him trying to work with SW :rollin
Imagine his face when he's told he has to play overall 43 seconds of hi-hat in the whole record. And that he cannot do backing growls  :lol
MP said he wasn't too happy with the way Kevin chopped up and messed with his drum parts on the OSI debut, so I can already imagine his face when SW tells him what the drum sound in Hag will be like! :rollin

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: February 12, 2013, 11:54:55 AM »
I just find most of this funny, and inspiring enough for quick photoshops of MetalKevin :lol

I didn't want to turn the list thread completely off-topic so I'm posting this review here: https://www.rocknworld.com/thrashpit/reviews/09/OSI_-_Blood.shtml

So OSI is nu metal and Kevin is trying too hard to make heavy stuff? :facepalm:

After leaving Dream Theater, Kevin Moore forms Office of Strategic Influence with former band mate Mike Portnoy, who later cans the band after two albums because of Kevin Moore's natural state of being a dick

Wow, that review doesn't even deserve a comment, but I can't resist.  Kevin a dick?  At least Kev kept his MP squabbles behind closed doors.  MP actually incorporated an OSI chapter in the Lifting Shadows book for everyone to read in which he sliced and diced Kevin in a classless fashion.   :tdwn
I wonder how many people would feel like that about Kevin had not MP taken an opportunity to slander him everywhere, based on nothing but his resentful feelings. Probably a lot less.

Also, "MP canned OSI"... yeah :rollin

"Slander"?  Let's be careful what accusations we're throwing around here. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #668 on: February 12, 2013, 12:04:33 PM »
Because she was actually going to go after MP in a legal battle.

CHIEF LEAVE NOTHIN'
BEFORE HE DROP
HOCK HIS RHYMES AT THE PAWN IT SHOP
MAIL HIS FEATHERS TO AN ASTRONAUT
SPENT ALL THE CASH ON A CORNER PLOT
SPACEMAN GLAD AT THE DEAL HE GOT
SECOND LINE IN SPACE A LOT
THEM COWBOYS LOVE THEM INDIAN MASKS
AND THEY WRITE IT OFF ON THE TURBO TAX

God damn it that one part in this tune makes it. So fucking  :metal and  :millahhhh at once.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: February 13, 2013, 12:48:35 AM »
Man bite dog 'cause the master dead
and the dog just glad that someone got fed
Man shoot wife 'cause the knife got bent
and the wife take offense to the message that sent
 :metal

BTW, TioJorge, you should start working on your list, as mine will be over in a week.

For those who haven't followed my list, here's a link I posted in my writeup for The Escape Artist: https://www.last.fm/user/strwrngpurple/journal/2009/06/14/2sr6cn_review:_osi_-_blood Another review where OSI gets labeled as nu metal! :facepalm:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #670 on: February 13, 2013, 01:23:04 AM »
I wonder do these people have any ears at all.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #671 on: February 13, 2013, 04:20:20 AM »
The other thing I wonder is if people understand what nu-metal is.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: February 16, 2013, 10:26:21 AM »
Holy crap!  I just realized that tomorrow is the 10-year anniversary of the release of OSI's debut album: "Office of Strategic Influence."  It was released on Feb. 18, 2003.  I still remember the first moment I heard the album.  There were no teasers released ahead of time, perhaps to create some additional buzz and curiousity.  Looking back, this album is the band's best all-around effort in my opinion.  I love the album artwork and packaging, I love the use of samples, I love the band's lineup, I love the concept.  It's absolute perfection
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #673 on: February 16, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »
Cool. I believe I got it at Tower Records (RIP) around the time it came out. I like Free better, but the debut is a really good album.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #674 on: February 16, 2013, 05:05:14 PM »
The debut is still hands-down the best OSI album.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: February 17, 2013, 01:18:22 AM »
Holy crap!  I just realized that tomorrow is the 10-year anniversary of the release of OSI's debut album: "Office of Strategic Influence."
Cool, maybe I should celebrate and listen to the album in full! Or should there be No Celebrations? :neverusethis:
The debut is still hands-down the best OSI album.
It's actually my least favorite OSI album, as they hadn't found the right balance between the prog metal elements and the electronic stuff yet, probably due to the fact that Kevin wasn't in the writing process right from the start. For a huge KM fan like me there are just too many instrumentals and the role of keyboards isn't strong enough.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #676 on: February 17, 2013, 07:01:50 AM »
Giving the debut a listen this weekend. Still my favorite OSI album, no doubt.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: February 17, 2013, 07:10:46 AM »
I think it's actually my least favorite, but the margin is so tiny and the awesomeness is strong in this one.

Congrats OSI!
Well technically, congrats are due when an album is out, it's not their accomplishment that time passes :lol but I felt like saying this because obviously it hasn't aged for people and that's always a good thing.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: April 11, 2013, 10:12:05 AM »
For those who still haven't bought FMT yet, here's a good bargain: at Record Shop X it only costs 6,95€ + shipping: https://www.recordshopx.com/artist/osi/fire_make_thunder/

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #679 on: April 11, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »
I know it's kind of early, but.... any word on a new album yet?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: April 11, 2013, 11:13:53 AM »
Nope. Fates Warning is reactivating so Jim will be busy for some time, and judging by a recent FB post Kevin seems to be working on some stuff on his own too, which is a fucking awesome piece of news :metal

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #681 on: April 11, 2013, 11:17:32 AM »
Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath for an OSI release anytime soon. If ever. But Kevin seems to be at least doing something, it's just no one knows yet if its original work, guest work, or something entirely different... Either way it's good news but gawd I hope it's some Chroma Key and/or otherwise solo work.

RIP DTP.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: April 11, 2013, 11:37:22 AM »
Despite its title, "Fire Make Thunder" seemed to have flown under everyone's radar with very little calamity, especially compared to "Blood". Probably 'cause it wasn't really that good, but still...

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #683 on: April 11, 2013, 11:38:14 AM »
Shitty opinion is smelly.

RIP DTP.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #684 on: April 11, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
Despite its title, "Fire Make Thunder" seemed to have flown under everyone's radar with very little calamity, especially compared to "Blood". Probably 'cause it wasn't really that good, but still...

I know I'm going to be flamed for this, but of those two, I can't decide which is worse. Not that they really were *bad* but still...

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: April 11, 2013, 11:51:58 AM »
Both albums are great, but FMT is a tad more consistent, although Blood includes a lot of excellent individual songs. Free is still my favorite though - that album is absolute perfection.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: April 11, 2013, 01:58:48 PM »
For those interested, Beirut-based progressive metal band Amadeus Awad posted a teaser of their upcoming album featuring Kevin guest appearing on keyboards.  There's no keyboards in the clip though.  This album features Russell Allen of Symphony X on vocals, as you can hear, and a few other prog metal guest musicians.  Should be interesting.

Link: https://www.reverbnation.com/amadeusawadseon
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: April 11, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »

I know I'm going to be flamed for this, but of those two, I can't decide which is worse. Not that they really were *bad* but still...
I don't like OSI really at all, so I won't flame you. I do like the idea of them being around, though. Does that make sense?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #688 on: April 11, 2013, 08:32:07 PM »
It does, and I'd be interested to know why you say so.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #689 on: April 11, 2013, 09:09:07 PM »
Eh, I like Blood probably because it was my first OSI album. I need to listen to Fire Make Thunder again. Only Big Chief II stuck out as anything memorable. Album never really felt like it had any highs or lows like the first three. It just plodded along in a consistent middle.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: April 11, 2013, 11:44:26 PM »
I need to listen to Fire Make Thunder again. Only Big Chief II stuck out as anything memorable. Album never really felt like it had any highs or lows like the first three. It just plodded along in a consistent middle.
I'd call Invisible Men and Wind Won't Howl highs. Blood does have higher highs and lower lows (which are still good) though.

The OSI/KM fanboy in me is sad at all this lack of love for FMT, but maybe it's good to see some critical opinions too.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: April 12, 2013, 02:23:53 AM »
The OSI/KM fanboy in me is sad at all this lack of love for FMT, but maybe it's good to see some critical opinions too.
I'm kind of inclined to call FMT the OSI version of You Go Now - has that same sort of weird pacing and open space. But OSI is more about fireworks than Chroma Key, so maybe that was a problem with people. I'd definitely say the album lacked one more song, to carry more weight and introduce even more variety... when an album is all about space, being such a shortie doesn't help it at all. But I like the album a lot.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: April 12, 2013, 03:36:08 AM »
I'm kind of inclined to call FMT the OSI version of You Go Now - has that same sort of weird pacing and open space. But OSI is more about fireworks than Chroma Key, so maybe that was a problem with people. I'd definitely say the album lacked one more song, to carry more weight and introduce even more variety... when an album is all about space, being such a shortie doesn't help it at all. But I like the album a lot.
I find Blood more spacey than FMT, but you might be right. My only gripe with FMT is the shortness of Big Chief II - with more different riff ideas and other stuff it could've been a really awesome song, but now it's just a 3-minute piece based on a single theme and it doesn't have enough time to grow into something bigger.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: April 12, 2013, 03:37:18 AM »
Yup. Maybe they'll pull a Spock's Beard and release Big Chief I next time :laugh:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: April 12, 2013, 03:41:04 AM »
It was written in the 60s already: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Chief ;) (lyrics)

BTW, someone else has made a sequel to that song too: https://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/p/professor_longhair/big_chief_part_2.html :o

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: April 12, 2013, 03:46:03 AM »
Ah but it's not Big Chief I ;D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: April 12, 2013, 03:49:57 AM »
I bet that guy didn't have any idea there would be a sequel, hence the lack of I :D Then again, DT did Metropolis Pt. 1 and didn't expect fans to want a sequel, either! :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #697 on: July 23, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »
Just wanted to state that my 4 year old son's favorite OSI song is "Be The Hero".  He was going around the house yesterday singing "Be the hero from coast, to coast, to coast, yeah"
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: July 23, 2013, 02:20:45 PM »
That's so awesome! :D :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #699 on: July 23, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »
:tup

That song is pretty damned catchy, easily my favorite from that album.  I was singing it around the house for a while too, then my wife asked me to stop.