Author Topic: OSI - Official Thread  (Read 113240 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: OSI - "Official thread" (SPOILERS)
« Reply #245 on: January 04, 2012, 11:41:53 AM »
I mean it was really KM and JM's project, not MP and JM's, so I really don't mind what came out of it. That said, Blood is a great album on the surface but I feel it gets stale really quickly.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: January 04, 2012, 11:46:50 AM »
What OSI's got going now is much better than anything they were planning on making in the first place.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #247 on: January 04, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »
I mean it was really KM and JM's project, not MP and JM's, so I really don't mind what came out of it. That said, Blood is a great album on the surface but I feel it gets stale really quickly.

What OSI's got going now is much better than anything they were planning on making in the first place.

I'm stuck in the middle; I genuinely think that both of these statements are spot on. The first time I heard Blood I was blown away, it is an amazingly refined album with a certain depth that I couldn't grasp for a while; it was a grower, to be certain. For instance, Microburst Alert, one of my favorite tracks off the album, I detested at first simply because it bombarded me with so many awkward sounds at once coupled with the radio transmission playing throughout. But a few listens later and it is so gawdamn funky, I love it. With that said, out of the countless times I've listened to that album, I'm beginning to agree with that 'stale' statement. I wouldn't use that word, but it's lost a good amount of its flair.

On the other hand, even though I consider their second album to be their best soon followed by their S/T, they aren't as...'big'(? for lack of a better word) as Blood. There's something in Blood that was missing on the other two. A sort of ferocity; I could almost feel that somehow they found a way to rekindle their love for music and went into Blood head on and ready to kick ass. It's so powerful. THEN I end up going back to the S/T and find that it's much deeper than Blood, after a while those eccentricities of Blood kind of evened out for me and I was hoping to hear something a little less straightforward and a bit more original and zany. Tracks like Bigger Wave; Our Town; Hello, Helicopter!; ShutDOWN; Dirt From A Holy Place..etc. etc., I hate to use the word but basically more 'progressive' than what Blood has to offer.

I dunno, I'm beginning to ramble with no point. I'm very excited for the new album and I'm sure anything that comes out of it I will love but I'm merely hoping that they don't forget their humble beginnings and attempt to move forward and expand whilst throwing in a bit of that old-school charm into it. Kicking is still ringing in my ears and it's such a simple song. Those simplicities shouldn't be lost when moving forward and attempting to evolve the band.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #248 on: January 04, 2012, 12:32:51 PM »

As I understand it, the project was originally meant to be a collaboration between Jim and Mike as Jim couldn't work with Mike and Neal (Morse) on their project (which ended up being Transatlantic). Jim brought in Mike to create a prog-metal supergroup. It was only after Jim and Mike came together that they brought in Kevin Moore, which was after they created "The Thing That Never Was", "a track on the bonus disc, shows the direction Matheos and Portnoy originally planned to take the album in." (from the OSI album Wiki page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Strategic_Influence_(album) )

It was only after Moore messed with Matheos' tracks that the latter welcomed the changes and decided to bring him in for full-time (rather than adding keyboard parts), so the direction of the album changed from long-form prog metal tracks to something more akin to KM's Chroma Key albums.

I still think the end result is fantastic, and I enjoy the album to this day, occasionally putting it on for a good dose of prog metal with some mellowed-out parts to it, but as they went along, it became more of an output for Moore with Matheos' help than the prog-metal supergroup that Matheos/Portnoy originally envisioned.

Now it seems that Mike has focused his metal-side onto something less progressive and now we might not know what a prog-metal-supergroup with Mike Portnoy might sound like, but OSI's first album is about as close as we'll get, so I'm glad we got that! :metal

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #249 on: January 04, 2012, 12:39:54 PM »
Very interesting! I can totally see that considering I just listened to TTTNW and now I'm listening to a clearly Moore-infused Memory Daydreams Lapses (SHUT-SHUT IT-Shut your mouth, this song is awesome and I luff it! I reject your reality and substitute my own!). I'm really glad that they didn't move forward without Moore though, I really am a massive fan of most of his work and while it may tend to be a little more than 'out there' at times, I think he has such a creative mind and so much to offer, especially when working with other creative minds alike, though inherently different when sitting beside Moore. It's a mesh of different styles that works out so sexily. Can't wait.

P.S. Set The Controls For The Heart is so fucking amazing. I really do love it infinitely more than the original. I remember I put this on when I was first learning how to drive and my dad was in the car riding shotgun...and after a minute he goes 'Wait... when did you get into Pink Flo-*Bass kicks in* WHO COVERED THIS!? NICE!"  :lol Really awesome stuff. Oh how I miss my rowdy teen-angst filled years getting stoned and blasting this in my friends van. So. Bogged. Out. Siiiigh. Careers. They suck.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:46:26 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #250 on: January 04, 2012, 12:53:06 PM »
I'm listening to TTTNW right now, and it's so much more mehtulolz, true to MP form. Tbh, I prefer the KevMo version by far.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #251 on: January 05, 2012, 06:09:34 AM »
I know I've said it before, but I'd kill for a Kevin Moore/Steven Wilson project. Shutdown is great, but I'd rather the more Chroma Key elements rather than the OSI stuff from KM's part. I mixture of Graveyard Mountain Home and Grace for Drowning would be the epitome of music.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: January 05, 2012, 09:57:43 AM »
Regarding OSI's early days, Daniel Gildenlow of Pain of Salvation was originally tapped as the vocalist.  Jim Matheos gave demos to both Daniel and Kevin, and to Jim's surprise Kevi nstaretd messing with the tunes and adding his own vocals and it was totally different from what Daniel was doing.  So Jim felt he had to choose a musical direction and went with Kevin.  Apparently, John Arch was also asked to be singer and so was the guy from Kansas whose name escapes me at the moment.

I think Matheos and Moore are great musical counterparts for each other and have a great chemistry.  I'm so psyched for the new album.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #253 on: January 05, 2012, 12:09:57 PM »
I know I've said it before, but I'd kill for a Kevin Moore/Steven Wilson project. Shutdown is great, but I'd rather the more Chroma Key elements rather than the OSI stuff from KM's part. I mixture of Graveyard Mountain Home and Grace for Drowning would be the epitome of music.

YES! God, that would be bonerz.

RIP DTP.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #254 on: January 05, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »
Regarding OSI's early days, Daniel Gildenlow of Pain of Salvation was originally tapped as the vocalist.  Jim Matheos gave demos to both Daniel and Kevin, and to Jim's surprise Kevi nstaretd messing with the tunes and adding his own vocals and it was totally different from what Daniel was doing.  So Jim felt he had to choose a musical direction and went with Kevin.  Apparently, John Arch was also asked to be singer and so was the guy from Kansas whose name escapes me at the moment.

I think Matheos and Moore are great musical counterparts for each other and have a great chemistry.  I'm so psyched for the new album.

Would have been interesting to hear what a supergroup of Mike, Jim and Daniel could come up with, along with a very good prog/metal bassist. I'd be more interested in that than AM.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: January 06, 2012, 01:33:22 PM »
In case some of you missed it months ago, Kevin posted a two-minute cideo clip of a new OSI song from the studio.  I'm listening to it again now.  You can hear it clearly if you blast the volume and wear earphones.  It's quite beautiful.  I think the song title is "Invisible Man," because if you catch the computer monitor at the right moment you can see that phrase atop the screen.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pcsgmvHKlM&feature=player_embedded#!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #256 on: January 06, 2012, 01:39:51 PM »
Oh my GIDDIOD, thank you! That's fucking awesome. I cannot wait. I need it. Need my fix. OooooooooOOOOOHHHH!!!11ichi!1uno1

P.S. Love that synth...or whatever you call it. The bleeps. The boops and bleeps after the first verse. Keyboard shit. Moore-stuff. Argh. Maybe I shouldn't have listened cause now I feel like a five year old on Christmas Eve except I just realized it's not Christmas Eve and now I have to wait.

RIP DTP.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #257 on: January 06, 2012, 02:04:53 PM »
That was great. He really has a knack for creating an atmosphere. That said, I really hope there'll be more dynamic stuff too that doesn't rely as much on layering moods.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #258 on: January 06, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »
I want more stuff like The Escape Artist and False Start. Those songs are brilliant.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: January 06, 2012, 04:59:27 PM »
Damn. I just got so much more excited after hearing that.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #260 on: January 06, 2012, 11:20:01 PM »
In case some of you missed it months ago, Kevin posted a two-minute cideo clip of a new OSI song from the studio.  I'm listening to it again now.  You can hear it clearly if you blast the volume and wear earphones.  It's quite beautiful.  I think the song title is "Invisible Man," because if you catch the computer monitor at the right moment you can see that phrase atop the screen.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pcsgmvHKlM&feature=player_embedded#!

That sounds perfect. I hope there's less heavy stuff on this album.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #261 on: January 06, 2012, 11:42:23 PM »

That sounds perfect. I hope there's less heavy stuff on this album.
^x23423423498239482394283948 and also infinity

But I'd also like stuff like The Escape Artist and False Start as Metalwhateverthefuck said but in less quantity. I'm already hung over and I haven't even officially woken up yet. Where am I?

RIP DTP.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #262 on: January 07, 2012, 06:07:00 AM »
You're with me baby.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #263 on: January 07, 2012, 07:29:18 AM »
Some of you guys listen to music a totally different way than I do.

When a band I like releases a new album, my approach is, "Awesome. Let's see what I get". One of you guys is hoping for "more dynamic stuff", one of you guys is hoping for "more stuff like The Escape Artist", one of you guys is hoping for "less heavy stuff". Why so much hoping? :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #264 on: January 07, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »
When a band I like releases a new album, my approach is, "Awesome. Let's see what I get". One of you guys is hoping for "more dynamic stuff", one of you guys is hoping for "more stuff like The Escape Artist", one of you guys is hoping for "less heavy stuff". Why so much hoping? :lol

QFT.  Fans set themselves up for disappointment when what comes out is not like what they were hoping for.  Granted, many are just spitballing thoughts out loud, but it is true that expectations can be a bitch.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #265 on: January 07, 2012, 10:32:52 AM »
When a band you like is coming out with a new album and there are certain aspects of their sound that you like more than others, surely you have your own preferences for what is emphasized or downplayed?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #266 on: January 07, 2012, 11:02:22 AM »
When a band you like is coming out with a new album and there are certain aspects of their sound that you like more than others, surely you have your own preferences for what is emphasized or downplayed?
This. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to go into a new album by an established band without expecting/hoping for something.

That said, I don't think I'm fully on the "MORE METHULZ" side. I feel like Blood's strengths lied in how defined each of the sides were. The heavy stuff is much heavier than before, and the electronic, Kevin Moore-y stuff is more...electronic. My favorite song on the album (and indeed, of all OSI songs) is Microburst Alert, for how well it combines the electronic aspect with the metal.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #267 on: January 07, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »

I really don't. I just kind of put the CD in and see what happens. :millahhhh

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #268 on: January 07, 2012, 12:18:45 PM »
Blood (the song) <3

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #269 on: January 07, 2012, 01:18:58 PM »
I don't know, I'm kinda with Ultimetalhead on this one; there's no way you could have no preconceptions of what an album will sound like or how you want it to. Everyone expects something even if they don't actively hope for something.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #270 on: January 07, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »
I don't know, I'm kinda with Ultimetalhead on this one; there's no way you could have no preconceptions of what an album will sound like or how you want it to. Everyone expects something even if they don't actively hope for something.
Yeah, this.

Even if it's all just subconscious, I doubt that there's any way anyone could have no preconceptions about something. Hell, I have some preconceptions about things I haven't even heard, let alone albums from bands that I'm familiar with.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #271 on: January 07, 2012, 01:55:26 PM »

Yea, sure. I suppose you could say that I expect the next OSI to sound something like what I've heard from them before, but I'm not hoping for it or anything else in particular.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: January 09, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »
OSI just launched a Twitter account a few days ago!

https://twitter.com/#%21/osi_band

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #273 on: January 09, 2012, 03:25:41 PM »
Never, ever been excited about anything twitter related

TILL NOW!  :metal

Very soon...like...*refresh* Meh. Not that soon... Siiiiigh

RIP DTP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #274 on: January 09, 2012, 03:37:26 PM »
I'll do you one better...

I'll admit that it's pretty much impossible to not go into an album from a band you know without some idea of what to expect.   But ultimately, I *prefer* if I get something that I don't expect...something completely out of left field.   My favorite albums of all time are the ones that initially gave me a "W...T...F???" reaction.

So while I'm thinking I'll get something along the same progression as Free - Blood....I would actually be happier if they completely shattered my expectations and did something completely sick, messed up and unexpected. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #275 on: January 09, 2012, 03:51:46 PM »
I happen to share that sentiment with certain bands (Gorillaz mainly; Opeth's Heritage was a nice surprise too) but with OSI, I love the combination of all their works so much that I'd really love just that. But if they did happen to stun us all...well, now that I think about it I kind of want to shit my pants with fear but at the same time with Moore at the helm it also gives me the yummy-butterflies in my stomach. Hmm... ARGH I CAN'T WAIT!

RIP DTP.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #276 on: January 09, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »
As much as any of us would like to think otherwise, it is however also human nature to seek experiences that meet our expectations as well as those that don't. That's why avant-garde film for example is so polarizing, yet you can easily pick Academy Award bait out of a crowd; because the latter seeks both to defy and satisfy our expectations.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #277 on: January 10, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »
Did anyone else get a message after following them on Twitter? I HOPE IT WAS KEVIN MOORE LOL.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: January 10, 2012, 12:58:05 PM »
A new song was posted on Soundcloud today by the band In Progress that features Kevin Moore on vocals.  That band is releasing an EP later this year that features KM on three songs.  They are KM fans that invited him to make a guest appearance around the time Kevin released his Shine album in 2010. 

Song link: https://soundcloud.com/inprogressmusic/burn-it-down-ft-kevin-moore

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #279 on: January 10, 2012, 01:15:57 PM »
Boy oh boy do I have a hard on for Moore lately. I should say more than usual. Wonder why?  :P

I NEEEED that track.

RIP DTP.