Author Topic: A question for the drummers  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
A question for the drummers
« on: September 24, 2009, 07:37:01 PM »
I also posted this on MP.com in case you happened to see it there too and were like 'wtf?' But I figured there were some here that don't visit there and wanted to ask DTF too.

So I am thinking about picking up drums and learning to play. The only problem is I am 18, and have never played before. Am I too old to start? I really love music and play guitar and some piano so I am not completely new to musical instruments but I have been playing guitar for quite a few years already and I feel like I won't be able to learn the drums as easily or well. I am afraid it may be a waste of time/money/effort. SO does anyone have any similar stories or words of advice?

And if you think I should pursue it, does anyone have any ideas of how to start looking for a kit and what to go with and appropriate price ranges and stuff? Thanks in advance, I appreciate it

Quadro
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
Re: A question for the drummers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »
Ive been playing piano for almost 10 years now, and ive been teaching myself guitar for a little bit, and i personally dont think theres an age limit to picking up an instrument. In fact, my dad picked up the alto sax a few years ago when he was around 40. A new instrument always takes massive amounts of practice though; make sure you have the time to make a proper dedication or you wont end up getting anywhere.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 09:50:35 PM »
I started playing drums 5-6 years ago, and have been playing since.
To start, I would first make sure that you're absolutely sure that you want to start playing drums, as it requires a lot of commitment and a lot of money.
To find a good starter kit, I would look on eBay, Kijiji, or whatever your area has available. I got a 5-piece kit, with extra drums (enough for a 7 or 8-piece kit) plus stands and a few cymbals for $199. Not all kits will be this good of a steal, but you could get lucky. From there, I would recommend either lessons, or a beginners video or book. They'll teach you basic rudiments, but actual lessons will be helpful for more "hands-on" practice. Playing along to music is great way to find what style you like playing.
Basically, like ZachyDou said, you need a lot of dedication to the instrument.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:09:11 AM »
I'm 39, and I just started a few months ago.  I'm loving it so far.  I've always had instruments around, but never got around to picking up drums earlier in life.  It is a bit more of a financial commitment than most instruments.  I did quite a bit of shopping around and research before buying.  I found that for the money, a 5-piece was probably the best place to start.  I found essentially this set on craigslist for $300 (but in blue):  https://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ludwig-Accent-5PC-Kit-and-Zildjian-ZBT-Cymbal-Set-Bundle?sku=443278

The one I bought also had an extra cymbal stand, so I bought a Zildjian 16" crash and I use the 18" crash ride as my ride cymbal until I have enough cash to buy a better one, which is working out fine. 

I'm finding that drumming is a lot harder than it looks, but it is a lot of fun, too.  And as your skills increase, you can always add to your instrument.  I really want to add a double bass pedal, but I'm waiting until I'm just better at single bass first and waiting until I have enough money to get a really good pedal set instead of getting something cheap.  But the possibilities for adding little things here and there are almost endless. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 01:25:37 PM »
Yea that's what is so appealing about this instrument. You have people that range from 4 piece kits to people like Portnoy or Bozzio that use hundreds of pieces. Thanks for all the advice everyone.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 02:35:28 PM »
I like the configuration with a 5 with the 2 rack toms and 1 floor tom.  I find that it gives me plenty of variety for a new drummer while still being affordable.  A 4-piece would be a bit cheaper, but if I wanted to add a matching rack time later, the hardware might not be compatible and I might not find an exactly matching tom.  Plus, it would be much more expensive buying the extra tom and mounting hardware separately than getting a 5-piece from the get-go.  Not worth it for the bit of money I would initially save for a 4-piece. 

For other pieces I might add, I would be less concerned about having them match.  It isn't likely I will add more actual drums, other than maybe some roto-toms or something like that that wouldn't match the kit anyway.  Otherwise, it would be things like cymbals, cowbell, etc.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 03:52:58 PM »
You're never too old to begin playing an instrument.  I have two guitar students (one man and one woman) who are over 70 years old and they're both doing great.
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 09:23:34 PM »
My kit setup right now is:

2 20" bass drums
1 14" snare drum
2 11" rack toms
1 12" rack tom
2 16" floor toms
1 9" timbalito

Zildjian ZXT Control Ride
Zildjian Bronze Scimitar Ride
Zildjian ZXT Platinum Medium Thin Crash
Kashian Splash
Camber Medium Hi-hat
Latin Percussion Mounted Tambourine

Drums are Orbitone, heads are Remo, sticks are Zildjian Artist series, pedals are Pearl.

In total, I've spent over $1000 on my kit. And that's actually a very good deal.

Here's a picture for reference:

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 07:53:53 AM »

2 20" bass drums
1 14" snare drum
2 11" rack toms
1 12" rack tom
2 16" floor toms
1 9" timbalito

Kashian Splash
Camber Medium Hi-hat

:tup :tup :tup Best brand of cymbals ever.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 07:57:18 AM »

2 20" bass drums
1 14" snare drum
2 11" rack toms
1 12" rack tom
2 16" floor toms
1 9" timbalito

Kashian Splash
Camber Medium Hi-hat

:tup :tup :tup Best brand of cymbals ever.

Yep  :tup Riiight after Sabian  :millahhhh
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 08:17:46 AM »
Nope.  :D

Just kidding. Whatever works best for you. I really shouldn't dsay anything because I've never used Sabian, but...

Zildjan all the way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 08:19:43 AM »
2 11" rack toms

???  Why?  That seems redundant to me, but I'm sure there must be a reason.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 02:39:22 PM »
2 11" rack toms

???  Why?  That seems redundant to me, but I'm sure there must be a reason.

I mentioned before that I got doubles of some drums. So I set up two 11" rack toms, and tuned them differently. It all works out.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 09:50:35 PM »
Bit off topic but since tick did it I mine as well.

CB Kit
Pearl, Tama, and CB stands
Zildjian cymbals (18" ReZo Crash, 16" Medium Crash, 22" Pitch Black Ride, 22" ride [used as gong  :lol), except for Sabian hi-hats
3 toms
Pearl pedals (hi-hat, double bass)
Vic Firth/Vader sticks

Next on my buy list is a 16" crash, and then I'm saving up for a Tama Double Bass Rockstar Kit  :metal